Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Third Party Using Photon in a basic version of Unity iOS / Android

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by quarion, Feb 10, 2012.

1. quarion

quarion

Hi.
    Can You tell me if you can use Photon networking engine with basic (non-pro) license for Unity Android and iOS? I have found two different answers on the forum, so i need some clarification on this.

2. tobiass

tobiass

Photon does not require Pro but you will need a iOS and or Android version of Unity to export to these platforms.
    So to target these platforms: Yes you need a pro license.

3. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

What? You don't need a Pro license to get an iOS or Android license... you can just buy the basic iOS/Android licenses for $400 each. Now I'm even more confused lol

4. quarion

quarion

Thanks for the answer, but it is not clear to me.
    There is a difference between Unity Android and Unity Android Pro.
    When you look at this page:
    https://store.unity3d.com/shop/
    If I buy only Android and iOS addons ($400 each) will I be able to create a game with Photon?
    Or do I need Unity Pro + Android Pro + iOS Pro ($1500 + $1500 + $1500).

5. goat

goat

Hey Quarion,

You only need the basic version of Andiod iOS licences. Have a look at the StarTrooper tutorial to get an ideal of Unity's built-in network server.

6. fholm

fholm

Yes, but then you don't have access to .NET Sockets I think, which is needed for photon.

7. goat

goat

That's true, I would hope the support folk at Photon could answer definitively for you, but if fholm says Photon requires .NET sockets then that is only available with Pro licenses. You need to talk to Photon.

8. ncst

ncst

You can try Photon out for free, I believe. I'm using the Photon Unity Networking plugin (with the free trial of Photon Cloud). In Unity Free (with the Android Basic license), PUN works fine on my Kindle Fire (and it was pretty smooth getting set up, I had the worker demo up and running in 5 min).

9. bertelmonster2k

bertelmonster2k

Photon uses UDP (and optionally TCP) - so needs socket support.
    Unity stripped socket support from the iOS/Android (non pro) versions.

So you need Unity, iOS pro, Android pro to have sockets and use Photon.

ncst mentioned PUN would run on a Kindle Fire: Not sure why this would work. We will test it our next week.

10. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

To word it differently: ALL versions of Unity work with Photon/PUN EXCEPT for Android basic and iOS basic as those do not support sockets.

11. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Thanks for the clarification. I wonder what's up with ncst then?

12. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Unity's website is clear about not supporting sockets in the basic versions of the mobile licenses ( http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses.html ).
    Either its a Unity bug or ncst is on a PRO trial? I haven't tested Android/IOS basic myself.

13. ncst

ncst

Maybe mine is magical :) I'm not on a free trial (of Unity Pro), just the latest version of 3.4 free with Android Basic. I have not tried out PUN/cloud on any other Android devices, but I'm curious now, so I may try a build on a Nook Color (the only other Android device I have on hand...)

14. goat

goat

So now I'm confused...I've done run the StarTrooper Network Server tutorial with Unity Basic, Unity iOS Basic, and Unity Android Basic...without the direct access to the socket libraries...

Somewhere in there is a call to a socket...

Directly from Photon's website:

This free plugin combines the ease-of-use of Unity's Networking with the performance and reliability of Exit Games' Photon Network Engine.

So Photon DOES NOT require direct access to the .NET socket API. (http://www.exitgames.com/Photon/Unity)

FHolm, I'm hoping you use Unity's networking API in your SlimNet when you release it but something tells me being a network programming guru you probably use sockets directly...

:-(

15. tigeba

tigeba

Goat,

I think the source of your confusion is conflating the builtin Unity networking with 3rd party networking ( Electroserver, Photon, etc ). Any of the 3rd party solutions require access to .Net sockets, and will require a pro license to work on iOS and Android. You should not need pro to use .Net sockets in standalone or web player builds.

16. npsf3000

npsf3000

I doubt it works with Flash, and would try it in NACL before going too far.

All that means, IIRC [I built a demo with it, but no more], is that they've re-implemented the Unity API to work with photon. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  17. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Those are build targets, not unity versions :)

18. npsf3000

npsf3000

Err... if Android and iOS are versions, than Flash and NACL are versions.

If Flash and NACL are merely build targets than Android and iOS are merely build targets.

Whatever you call it, it's the same thing.

19. goat

goat

Thanks alot tigaba but sorry follow the link to Photon's site in the post above. Those are their words not mine. They specifically say Unity's networking not .Net sockets. Which is smart on their part.

20. npsf3000

npsf3000

No it means you didn't read what they said:

This free plugin combines the ease-of-use of Unity's Networking

This is the API.

with the performance and reliability of Exit Games' Photon Network Engine.

This is the implementation.

As bertelmonster2k [of photon] said:

21. tobiass

tobiass

As summary:
    Right. Photon Unity Networking is re-implementing Unity's way to do networking (NetworkView, Networking class, etc). It's built on top our more coding-geared API using .Net sockets.
    All of the non-Unity solutions have only .Net sockets to work with and these require Android Pro and iOS Pro licenses respectively. None work with Flash export, afaik.

Unity's "Multiplayer Networking with RakNet" is different and doesn't need those licenses for Android and iOS. Flash is also not supported.

22. goat

goat

See this is a very important distinction that they need to be explicit in stating. The site language implies they use Unity's networking (which we know itself has to use TCP / UDP packets regardless of the reason Unity stripped out access to the API in Basic).

Unity when installed does not modify os X or Windows kernels or drivers so to say it's using Unity's networking is very misleading to potential customers. Straight to the point would be to say it "requires the Microsoft .Net API available in Unity Pro, Unity iOS Pro, and Unity Android Pro".

23. Dreamora

Dreamora

Unity Networking uses OS sockets (or Raknet to be more precise) while all 3rd party libraries rely on System.Net
    Stating that would definitely be favorable, but to be fair, all 3rd party networking technologies fail to do so and it seems many users aren't aware of the difference between Unity Networking and System.Net either hence even if it would be written there, they wouldn't 'grasp' the fact

24. tobiass

tobiass

goat: Fair point. I'm sorry this way confusing for you and we will try to be more precise. It's something we rarely encounter ourselves, so we forget.

25. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Ah, I didn't realize they were going to sell Flash licenses, as that was my delineating factor. I thought it would be like PC/Mac build targets (just another option at the build menu). Are we going to have to pay for an NaCL license?

.NET sockets are available in Unity basic, just not iOS/Android basic. Also, I don't think the language is misleading, it doesn't say it "uses Unity's Networking", it says it has "the ease-of-use of Unity Networking" because the implementation is very similar (PhotonView.RPC, NetworkView.RPC, etc).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  26. goat

goat

One can parse any language in a multitude of ways depending on context and come up with totally diffent meanings.

That this and other discussions have taken place proves it.

Every professional SW package states clearly the minimal hardware and software requirements.

Anything else and you wind up with opinions and we all know everybody else has one and many have multiple, depending on who they're trying to annoy at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_requirements

No one can say that these type of systems requirement aren't typically expected. It's just being professional.

27. ncst

ncst

Update on this (ancient) thread: I expect that Photon will not work with Android Basic any more (in 3.5.6):

As I mentioned before, Photon Cloud had been working fine for me on Android, and I assume that for some reason, net sockets were being allowed on Android (and in iOS Basic, I did get a System.Net.Socket error when attempting to compile).

28. colchambers

colchambers

For my two cents. I bet the demo version provided by photon works because it was authored with a pro license. If you try doing the same with a unity install on basic and android/ios you'll fail due to the sockets problem.

I see the same in the unity demos like the shadow room with amazing lighting and shading or the tropical island with brilliant water etc. I wouldn't be able to do the same on my basic license but I can reuse and build to android or whatever with their version that I've downloaded.

it's the only way I can explain this behaviour. My belief is that networking is a premium feature e.g. what people will pay for hence they lock it down. Either that or the sockets libraries are too big given the limited space on mobiles at this time. If the latter then maybe it'll be free in time.

29. frankrs

frankrs

old post, but I wanted to share what I read in their newsletter last month

"
    Photon for Unity iOS Android Basic

So far there is no solution to launch a Unity-based game using socket connections for iOS Android except purchasing a Unity iOS/Android Pro license. Hey, but that is a whopping $1,500 for each of them and too much for many of our indie customers.

We have been working on a solution for some time and are super happy to announce that Photon for Unity iOS Android Basic is coming soon to the Asset Store. Yes, you then can use the free Unity Basic licenses and build great multiplayer games with Photon on all platforms. Good news, we think.

30. Kaemalux

Kaemalux

Any ETA for this? I hope to enjoy soon Photon with my basic Unity license. :)

31. tobiass

tobiass

Update:
    I will post more info tomorrow but the asset is now live in the Asset Store:
    http://u3d.as/5Ap

Original Answer:
    Good question and right on time.
    The PUN+ Package is currently in review by Unity. It should be live in the next days :)
    Just to be open about this right away: The package will cost $100 and aside from the multiplayer capability with Unity Free on iOS and Android you can also upgrade one free Photon Cloud subscription to 100 concurrent users. Considering not all your players will play at the very same time, all day, this can be a good start even for a commercial game.
    I will post most info when we get the Asset Store link.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  32. weliketoparty

weliketoparty

Hi tobiass,
    I have a few question:
    The code are the same of the standard PUN? So I just need to import the new PUN+ to make it works?
    100 CCU play is only for a single application, or I can use it in different games ?
    Thank you.

33. tobiass

tobiass

> The code are the same of the standard PUN? So I just need to import the new PUN+ to make it works?
    Yes, PUN and PUN+ are the same, except for the lower level stuff and native libraries for iOS and Android.
    I dropped Win8 support in PUN+ but that's a temporary thing.

> 100 CCU play is only for a single application, or I can use it in different games ?
    It's for a single application/game in the Photon Cloud. We would count a compilation of minigames as one but "chess" and "checkers" would definitely be two games and one would require a normal subscription.

34. yunspace

yunspace

I have tested out PUN+ with a out of the box scene (Synchronization Demo) on iOs, no code changes. I can confirm networking is working for iOs basic. The native sockets solution is ingenious, well done Photon.

35. tobiass

tobiass

Thanks a lot! Glad to read it's doing well :)
    PUN+ Thread