Search Unity

Load 3D Model at Runtime

Discussion in 'Android' started by suppenhuhn, Feb 9, 2012.

1. suppenhuhn

suppenhuhn

Hi!

My attention is:
    I want the user to press a button to load a model ( from a folder of his choice ) into the application. I found a few ways to load content at runtime ( www-class, load.resources etc ) but i don't know what the thing is what i need ( i'm using unity pro + android basic )

I'm pretty new to developing ( it's more for fun-purposes ) for android, so my questions are:
    • Is there a User Interface already existing for "Filebrowsing" on an Android Device
    • Which fileformat is possible to Load at Runtime ( obj, dae, 3ds, fbx )
    • Which commands ( WWW, Load.Resources ) will be the best for my chase ?
    :confused::confused:
    The model to load is not animated and has no materials, i just for watching it on a android device

Would be happy about any tip!

THX!!
    Robert

2. realvisual

realvisual

We have been able to load in very large FBX and OBJ files at runtime on Mac or PC - not iOS or android... It has been particularly hard work! But the results are amazing... What is your application?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inzZAWP1ITk

This video shows the editing of an empty model at runtime after it had been imported!

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

See here for .obj-loading and filebrowsing.

--Eric

4. suppenhuhn

suppenhuhn

Hi,
    i found that before! it's very interesting BUT unfortunatley i need to load FBX, 3DS or DAE files

Yeah thats something that goes my way! but the "only" thing that i need is an FBX importer@runtime

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  5. realvisual

realvisual

can you give me some more info about the FBX you want to import? How big does it need to be? What software will it come from? Maybe we can help!

6. suppenhuhn

suppenhuhn

The files would be exported from 3ds Max 2012 or Unity pro ( don't know what's the better way ).

I found the AssetBundle Feature would be exactly what i need, but i've got only the android basic addon.

7. ciruelica

ciruelica

Hi,

I have the same problem that you, suppenhuhn. Did you discover how to do it? I really need to import .fbx files on my application and I haven't found the way yet. I read also about WWW class and AssetBundle but I cannot make it work.
    Any help? : )
    Cheers,
    Claudia.

8. Benproductions1

Benproductions1

9. mmorcc

mmorcc

10. Benproductions1

Benproductions1

Huh?

11. mmorcc

mmorcc