Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Pillar snake [the making of]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TylerPerry, Feb 8, 2012.

1. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I’m going to do the same thing as with my old project for my new one "Pillar Snake" :D hope everyone enjoys this, my last game I had a different approach this game I’m looking to make it in a way that i will get the very most from what it is using colours. this game has 9 weeks to be completed hopefully for web build, flash build and android build, then depending on the success of them will be if a IOS build happens.

Latest builds:
    Flash build 0.618 Is located here

ScreenShot:
    $PILLARSNAKENESCREEN.png

The Game:
    The game is rather simple but hopefully fun :D you play as a snake collecting items(food) around the field, what makes this game different to all the other snake games is the control scheme, you control the snake using the mouse/touches moving the mouse/finger around the scene will make the snake move to the curser places. On top of the said control scheme there are pillars that the character can weave around giving it a unique play style :)

There are going to be to versions one called Pillar Snake: A Classic Tail, this game is nearly the same but it has simple graphics and should be relesed in a few weeks on Kongregate. The other version is going to be called Pillar Snake: The Anchient Temple, this version is going to be based in a temple and have fancy graphics and have more bug fixes this game is going to come out hopefully before the school holidays :)

The player:
    Pillar Snake: The Anchient Temple:
    You play as a tomb raiding snake on an adventure to retrieve money (Food) from the temple.
    Pillar Snake: A classic tail:
    You play as the normal old snake collecting tail pieces

The setting:
    Pillar Snake: The Anchient Temple:
    The setting of this game is a ancient temple (Mayan style) the snake collects Mayan gold throughout it.
    Pillar Snake: A classic tail:
    Just the normal old scene just circles for the head :D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Reserved

3. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Reserved2

4. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Link was broken but now works :D

EDIT: new build added DEADLINK

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  5. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  6. bethweg

bethweg

The screen is dark
    the food looks like the pillars?

I love moving the snake with the mouse

7. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

The gameplay looks nice, it has that addictive feel. It needs work on the graphics and stuff obviously, but the game is there.

8. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Thanks guys :)

All the art work and gui is just placeholder :) once im done with some stuff ill start working on the art.

My to do list:

1.Add a score holding system
    2.make the map scale to the size of the screen
    3.Start with the graphics(maby)

9. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Ok so ive got a conundrum, its that i cannot decide between a score keeping system that is like just a normal system that goes from top to bottom of scores, thus making the player :

1.PersonA = 4000
    2.Person B = 3000
    3.Person C = 2398
    4.Person D = 1989
    5.Person E = 909

Or a star based system like a score of 500 is one star, 1000 is 2 stars, 2000 is 3 stars,2500 is 4 stars and maby something like 5000 is five stars.

Or... a system that just records the highest ever score ever, then When you play it just tells you "The score to beat is [your highest score]" and "your score Was [your score]"

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  10. donrogers

donrogers

The mouse part is great (I hate using the letter keys) - it's scary - like that snake is attached to my mouse - I can't shake it off

Nice - can't wait to keep seeing it develop

11. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Thanks :), i'd just like to say that the mouse controll scheme is not my inovation, the game that had mouse controlls that i played before making this is: this game but i dont think its such a bad act as my game uses pillars and is mainly made for mobile devices and snake trouble is not avaliable for that.

This is the latest build, i added a simple high score system that i think may actualy be better then more complex systems, as it just leaves the score you have and the score you should try and beat :) it is here

(You may have noticed my bad speach it is due to the dubble you button stopped being usable on my key board)

12. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I plan on doing a nightly build kind of thing :) maybe it shall be relised less often but today I have build 0.236 it has a thing on the front menu that tells you the score to beat.

the game can be played: here

I am trying to keep the game as fun as possible and very simple :) Oh and does anyone have any idea as to putting a pol on a thread? I think a poll of if the game is good from 1-10 is needed like:

1. Terrible (tell people it’s horrible and not to play)
    2. Really bad (if someone payed it say it’s bad)
    3. Quite bad (I couldn’t play it again)
    4. Bad (if there isn’t anything else I’d play it)
    5. Neutral (its playable but I’m most likely to play a funner game)
    6. Ok (ide play it but not much)
    7. Good (Ide play it in boring situations)
    8. Great (ide play it all the time, if I’m not doing anything)
    9. Fabulous (ide play it all the time if I get the chance)
    10. Insane (its great it could be my most played app)

Sence i dont have a poll could people please reply saying the one they think best represents the game?

13. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Ive been making the snake model i think it is better to have the snake an achient snake like the setting :)

$SNAKESCREEENIE.png

this thread isent getting much trafic :( i realy need peoples opinions

14. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

The nightly build today is v.0.235 it has models but there not textured yet... and they dont realy fit as they looked better as bigger :(

Here it is enjoy

15. Kokumo

Kokumo

Jajaja! I like it; the snake looks better with an organic body... I mean not boxes... but well, as Koyima said, the game is there.

16. Steffan-Poulsen

Steffan-Poulsen

Ah didn't see that you had a topic regarding pillar snake :) I will enter my feedback here from now on, and not in PM's

17. Gorlog

Gorlog

wow good idea with mouse :)

18. tatelax

tatelax

I like it a lot

19. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Thanks guys :), unfortunently i broke it :( ive been trying to fix it but my luck has been near none, if anyone is interested in helping fix it check out this post here

20. TehWut

TehWut

The concept is very solid, and it's actually quite fun at this point (I'd give it a 5 on your scale). It gets a little repitive after a while. You could try making some more complex levels (or even randomly generated) so the player has to think a little more. However, I think it is a cool take on snake game and I hope you finish this project, I see potential in it :p

21. hjupter

hjupter

Nice game scored 4500, keep it up :)

22. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Thanks guys :) i think ill add randomly generated, like it puts the pillars randomly around.

At that point did it become very unstable? if not could you please tell me your hardware as on my computer it isent stable. thanks :D

23. gerryfin

gerryfin

What's the point of the pillars? do you lose points if you hit them or are you out? (maybe that's why the game lasts 5 seconds for me)

24. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

The pillars do not effect you, if you hit your tail or the edge you die.

The point of the pillars is realy just to stop the snake bundling up in the center :( but i think it adds some nice uniqueness to the game.

25. Blacklight

Blacklight

Not bad, but it glitched out after a while.

1. The snake got tangled up. That huge mass to the left of the center pillar stayed in that formation when I dragged it around.
    2. When going around a pillar, the pillar would slip though the gaps, particularly during late-game.
    3. It got a little bit laggy.

I had to stop after that score, for obvious reasons.

26. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Hmmm, yes i have nearly the same problems as you :( and i have similar specs as you.

I shal try and fix those problems... but they are quite hard :(

27. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Nightly build today is v 0.45 it dosent realy have any updates... but sence i broke it i had to remake everything :(

You can play it here

Have fun :)

28. tatelax

tatelax

Great game, but now when the head touches the body, it doesn't die.

29. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Sorry ive been at school :) i tagged the tail as "tail" instead of "Tail" its fixed but im not going to update untill tonights build :D

30. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Hmm, things took a turn for the bad in the land of tyler today :( my computers screens hinge stopped being conected and due to that uppon closing the screen it tore the bezzle, screen cover and screen apart so things need to ramp up on the developing side.

So i have a plan that im going to relese the kind of 2d verson verry soon under a differnt name and not Pillar Snake, its not ideal and truely pillar snake isent that far off but to iron out faults it is going to be rather hard.

So here is the latest build(not the nightly :))

(colors have been changed sence then :))

31. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

32. joshimoo

joshimoo

$broken pillars.png

Some Bug reports:
    - The spawn code spawns "eggs" in inaccessible places (under the pillars)
    - The Physic is very unstable

33. Blacklight

Blacklight

I like the new art style. Simple works well.

Game play however...
    Got about 1600 before my tail decided to curl up and try to kill me. Then it got ultra laggy.

34. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

add a toon shader/black outline, see how that looks :) but it definatly looks better, also have big issues with the physics.

35. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I forgot to say in my last post the reson for this gibber jabber, my game is going to have to versions 1. Pillar Snake: A classic tail and 2.Pillar Snake: The anchient temple(posted as Pillar Snake) the reson for this is that i wish to relese it soon but it isent going to be done(with models) so ill relese Pillar Snake: A classic tail, first then the "real" pillar snake, and then ill be able to iron out the problems.this may sound strange but its needed... how knows it could be imensly popular :)(unlikely :D)

Its not that late (only 7:45) but im going to do homework so i hope you all like it(none of the physics is fixed :( and to be honnest i doubt i can fix it i think im going to have to make the game more chalenging so it never arrises)

Oh and Orthographic camera dosent work along side the toon shader so i had to make it normal :(

The normal version is here :D(V0.48)

And the toon version is here :D (V0.48T)

Enjoy oh and tell me if you like the normal or toon version better :D thanks.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  36. ewanqbl

ewanqbl

I just tried, but the movement seems erratic, I mean it doesn't move naturally and I find it pretty difficult to even go around the pillars. I've got a dedicated gaming mouse, with around 2000 DPI's and low sensitivity. Could that be it?

It's and interesting concept, not bad, not that original, but I think you need to work on the movement of the snake, make it more flowy.

I'd also change the color scheme, that brown looks a bit weird TBH. Go for a Green head maybe, and complementing color.

37. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Oh dear.... i broke it again but i dont know how it froze so i had to close unity but uppon re opening it it dosent move the head at all :( im downloading 3.5 now and once its done ill test to see if that is going to work.

38. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

39. shahroozal

shahroozal

Its extremely dark I barely can see the snake :(

40. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Sorry :( its alot darker once built then in the editor, ill fix it tomorrow.

41. xzile40

xzile40

I like this, i've been tracking this from the start.

When the snake was made of 'cubes' of some sort it wasn't too bad, besides the obvious problem of the snake getting too big and spinning up to you and thus killing you or something. But, with the current 'circles' snake, the game starts to lag for me really bad around 1500-2000 points. At that point the lag kills me, litterally. I hit nothing and it says I lose :)

42. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

todays nightly build is v 0.525 it just is a bit wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwbrighter i had loads of english homework on montana 1948 :( i also did some 3d modeling but my bro thinks that Pillar Snake: A classic tail looks better :( but i still think Pillar Snake: The Anchient Temple has more potential :D

43. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Hmm i dont think that is the right build but my computer is lagging to much to tell if it is or not :D

44. shahroozal

shahroozal

I tried it, it's still a bit dark but that's fine. I got 350 score but the next ball (food) didn't appear any where. and the tail is flicking some how :)
    Good job :)

45. xzile40

xzile40

This one seems to lag a lot more, and it's still dark.

46. Zhosay

Zhosay

I agree on the lag. And its still on some parts NOT win able I played 3 rounds and each round it took his end because after 8-15 points one spawned in a Pillar and I couldn't see it.

Its not ment to offend you but I had this problem once on a game for iphone (selfmade). Customers that recieve a Game/Level that is not beat able or feal "betrayed" by the game gonna deinstall it write a negative comment and never revisit it.

47. TehWut

TehWut

Hm I'm not having any problems at all with lagging. However, for some reason the newer 2D versions seem more glitchy with the movements and tail - physics things.

48. Zhosay

Zhosay

That glitchy movement I meant with lag. Ofc my intel i7 won't have lags.

49. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Oh dear :( i linked to the latest version of mine, that isent the nightly build from yester day :D but sence you have all seen the Totem poles do you like them? only one face is done though :D

The glichyness came from trying to have the pices closer together to avoid problems with the joints slipping over the pillars:D

This is a build as i dident upload a good nightly build yester day :D

I added tiny ridgid bodys between the segments so i hope they stop it slipping through the pillars, it lags for me after around 1500 but it dosent slip so i hope you all have the same experiance :D(not the lag though)

50. Kyena

Kyena

I must say, this would be a lot of fun for iphone and ipad (or mobile in general).
    you could come up with some cool unique art and theme it would be a real winner imo :)
    Easy and fun with recognizable gameplay which gets more challenging over the course of time.