Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Pillar snake [the making of]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TylerPerry, Feb 8, 2012.

1. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

The nightly build is v0.618 i hope you all like it :D it has fixed* the problem of the food spawning on the pillars and the tail shouldent slip through the pillars.

*Dosent mean it dosent though :D

And i need advice on the buttons do you think they need to be replaced?(For Pillar Snake: A Classic Tail)

2. Hippiecode

Hippiecode

Its took too long time to load. Frankly speaking very boaring game. Even chindren also dont like this type of games.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  3. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

The loading time is proboly just because of DropBox... not something to worry about as the final build is going on kongregrate.

To be honnest the original snake is played and loved by alot so why couldent this game?

4. Hippiecode

Hippiecode

cause there is nothing to love it and if u dont mind can u tell me how many days u took to build this games.

5. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

cant realy say... at the end of last year i started then stoped then a week ago i started. :D

6. Hippiecode

Hippiecode

Oh no... then u spoiled those much of days to make such a boaring game. I think its only a week of work.

7. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Show what you have done, no one can make an asumption of how long a game should/did take you do not know the problems that arrise.

The other people in this thread dont seem to think its boaring? maby its just not your kind of game.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  8. Hippiecode

Hippiecode

Ya u are absouletely right. its not my kind of game, even i dont like this type of boaring games. I dont know about those other people, but i love to speak the truth.

9. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Hmmm it cannot be called "boaring" as some one finds it enjoyable thus it is in your opinion that is boaring.

But there is no point in saying its boaring onless you know why it is boaring and then you should say the reason its boaring.

10. Hippiecode

Hippiecode

You played that nokia's in built snake game, u have to put controls like that and its very interesting.

11. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

then my game would just be like all the other thousends of snake clones already out there.

12. Hippiecode

Hippiecode

Hey titanty, before seeing ur game, i dint know anything about u and i m thinking that ur a freelancer. I just checked ur profile on forum, i m surprised, that ur a high school student, After seeing ur posts number no body can even tell that u r a student. But as a student its very good work. I m really very sorry. Keep it up. Sorry once again....

13. coin-god

coin-god

You are still an asshole though. You insulted all his work just because you found it "boaring"....

14. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

A quick update, this is the WIP of the pillars(totem poles)

$Totem.png

15. shahroozal

shahroozal

looks funny :)

16. ar0nax

ar0nax

i recommend not using hinge joints...

for example, to me, your latest web-build is very jiggly, the snake's components are agitating all over the place making me fail the game when moving side-ways...

17. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Oh just relised my thread dident folow the rules so i added a screenshot :)

This is another screenshot to show the pillars :D

$PILLARSNAKETHEANCHIENTTEMPLE1.png

18. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

the nightly build today is v0.628, i need to know if there are any problems? i dont have any on my pc exept for it laging if its over 2.2k score but that is my pc fault also sometimes the joints curl up but that is not fixable.

19. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Not realy enough for a nightly build :( but hear is a screenshot of the early stages of the floor :D

$PILLARSNAKESCREENFLOOR.png

20. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

The floor should fit the theme of the totems. right now it looks like the poles should be arches or something (If your using that floor), personally I'd say make the floor out of leaves and dirt, id imagine it to look something like this:

http://images.wikia.com/wowwiki/images/6/63/Shindigger's_Camp.jpg
    but with more of your cartoony toonshade style.

21. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Thanks for the advice :)

At the moment im going to finish this floor then see how it looks, but it needs a few changes like:
    1.change the blue to be more dull
    2.add chanels of light leading to the center
    3.add vines,moss and other stuff to make it look old
    4.make a suround of leafs(separate but it should complete the floor)

This is a current screen shot its nearly 1/2 done, Can you spot the face :)?

$PILLARSNAKEGROUNDSCREEN05.png

22. Linus

Linus

Nice little game, I usually not a big fan of this kind of games, but I know _many_ are. Ended up giving the demo quite some tries.

Did not have any issues, but my best score was only 1650

Nice mouse control, good exercise for people learning to handle a mice I imagine

Suggest changing the mouse pointer, maybe just having it as a tiny dot at the front of the snake or the pointer being the head of the snake it self

EDIT: As Jibidiah said, the snake twirls up when (I think) it shouldnt. The need to take wider turns as the snake get longer is perhaps intentional. But if you lead the snake at a direct angle into the pillar it twirls up.

See image

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  23. Jibidiah

Jibidiah

it'd be cool if you added 3D levels. To where there's a top and bottom floor and the snake must traverse up and down ramps to get between the floors. It certainly would make this more interesting; just my spontaneous suggestion.

EDIT: also, the snake bugs up whenever i twirl it around after it gets long. The tail just gets tied in a knot.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  24. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

25. Willster

Willster

I really liked the simple game. Now you've added in perspective, it's harder to play as sometimes the new piece of snake is hidden behind the perspective of the pillar, leaving you wondering where it is - is that intentional? The head of the snake now constantly jitters slightly and the cylinders of the body now get distorted due to the perspective on them when they are away from the centre of view.

I'm also getting game ending collisions, when going round pillars when before it was fine - now it seems to be much more glitchy and it's like the snake won't 'catch' on the pillars and often pulls off through the pillar and sometimes the whole thing jars violently into a game ending shudder when just touching the pillars. I was unable to get as many links in the snake as in the simple version, so I don't know if you have fixed the previous lag and bunching up issues, but it's a lot harder to get anywhere near that number of sections with the game end coming up even though I am not touching the border.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  26. Linus

Linus

Basicle what WGS said above, seems more bugged, and sometimes I must guess and look behind pillars for the treat.

On 6.18 version when getting to score 2500, it lags alot my graphic card fan is spinning like Im playing Total War: Shogun 2, a simple flash game should make it have to work that much

27. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

how about v0.628? how old is your graphics card and what is its name? the problems that occure ill fix them at a later date it needs some changes for

Im rather stoked as i just did an android build and it is looking absolutly wonderfull :D it is so much like i imagined it :D i cannot wait till this game is done :D but im also fuming becase Flash dosent support aniso? or antialias :( and it looks horrible :( but android and ios is my main aim so its sweet.

This is v0.1 of the android builds, it is only for phones that have 800x480 res sorry guys :( but other phones should still use it just not as perfectly.

Im looking for information if it is lagless on the following devices:

Galaxy s2, DONE it dose not lag
    Galaxy s gti9000, UNTESTED
    Nexus one,UNTESTED
    Nexus S,UNTESTED
    Any other device :D

The Link Is Here :D

28. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

29. Linus

Linus

how about v0.628? how old is your graphics card and what is its name?
    -----
    Didnt find a link to 0.628, on the 0.63 (with the floor) lags/bugs to much for me to get the snake long enough to test performance.

I have an about 9 month old GeForce GTX 460 1 GB
    Windows 7 64
    12 GB RAM
    AMD Phenom II x4 3,40 Ghz

Gla it works for your intended device

30. adaman

adaman

+1

You should program it sort of like you would a line drawing app. When the mouse moves more than a certain small distance, add that point to a list. I'd just create a large Vector2d array to begin with. Maybe one that can accommodate 500 vector2d objects. Have a variable that can keep track of the head index. As you move the mouse add a vector2d to the head index and increment the head index. If you are past the end of the array, set the head index to 0.

Then you need to make your circles follow the line that is stored in your array. The user won't actually see the line, but you could display it for testing. Maybe you could do a fast ease toward the head point for the first circle. To get the ease target for rest of the circles, I think I'd walk back through the array toward the tail until the distance from the current point to the previous circles point is equal to or greater than the circles diameter.

31. adaman

adaman

If you use the algorithm I describe above, you could actually use the array of points to draw something that looks more like a snake.

32. TylerPerry

TylerPerry