Search Unity

No Dynamic Shadows on Intel GMA 3150

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Dev.D1, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Dev.D1

Dev.D1

Hi,

I got a netbook to test today. Although it seems to better than the minimum spec listed here there are no dynamic shadows at all.

My build machine is running Unity3D Pro ( 3.4.2f2) . I have a cube, a plane and a directional light in my test scene. I'm attaching the (trivial) UnityProject incase anyone wants to poke around. The exported webplayer scene renders well with dynamic shadow on my 8 year old laptop ( ATI 9700m).

Problematic Hardware
    Netbook: Asus EeePC 1015
    Graphics : Intel GMA 3150 ( latest drivers)
    CPU : Intel Atom N570
    RAM : 1GB
    Webplayer version : 3.4.2f2

Steps taken so far
    I have tried :
    1) Switching player setting between Deferred / Forward Rendering path. (Camera is set to player settings)
    2) Marking the directional light (Important / Auto)
    3) Changing Quality settings.
    Nothing seems to fix the issue.

Questions:
    1) Is this a known issue?
    2) Is there a fix?
    3) Could this be a CPU or specific video driver related ?

I found this related post, but the resolution seems ambiguous. Any help resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment $ShadowTest.zip

2. Dev.D1

Dev.D1

Ok looking at notebookcheck.net it seems that GMA 3150 is based on the X3100 but is lower spec. I haven't figured out the exact capabilities of GMA 3150 yet ( does it support float point textures required for shadow maps?).

3. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

previous generations of intel video cards were problematic and inconsistent, i once tried unity 2.6 on the gma 950 and unity seemed to disable a lot of features to maintain performance and there was a lot glitches, it seemd like were not meant to play 3d games , more like simple office/home use

the only series that is now fully capable of runing 3d stuff with no problem is the current generation like the intel hd graphics 3000 and i know that because its what my current dev machine has

4. Dev.D1

Dev.D1

Yeah, it's a bit sad really with the inconsistency, and it's very likely that feature culling for performance is at work here. It would be great if someone at Unity Tech could confirm. I agree I haven't had too many issues with the intel hd graphics.

However Unity's claim that the X3000 as the minimum spec for real time shadows seems inaccurate. Maybe they ought to change that here.