Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

After (Fantasy world 2)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by botumys, Feb 5, 2012.

1. botumys

botumys

Hi, here's the first screenshot of my new world called "After" (it will be a mix of futuristic and medieval age).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. mklem3

mklem3

wow that screenshot looks amazing!

3. Robbilie2

Robbilie2

we want a webplayer! ;)

4. henry96

henry96

This looks amazingly great. I love it. well done!

5. herpderpy

herpderpy

Your video of your fantasy world was what got me into using Unity and therefore I have always been a fan of your work. This, however, is absolutely amazing. I love how much attention you pay to the small details - Great job man!

6. botumys

botumys

For curious, here's the scene in WorldMachine before exporting heightmaps.

Attached Files:

7. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi botumys,

that looks really great!
    about the billboarded trees: they look a bit too bright. have you tried ther advanced terrain shaders v2 from the asset store? they might help.

anyway, i am looking forward to see your updates.

lars

8. botumys

botumys

Not yet, thx for the info :)

I have a question: does billboard takes the color information of the terrain after lights backing ?(kind of vertex color or something similar). I have to bake lights, maybe after this process, these billboards will be more dark (because they are in the shadow of the mountain) .

9. botumys

botumys

10. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I too got into unity from seeing your amazing fantasy world :D this looks amazing aswell :) i nearly weed myself when i saw fantasy world 2. Good luck and this time.... I demand a webplayer :D

11. botumys

botumys

thx titanty, for a web player, why not, but the final world could be large (long to load and recent computer to play)

12. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I would wait eons for it to load :D and i wouldent care if it had 1FPS(wich i proboly will get :))

13. SevenBits

SevenBits

I was going to say; I really doubt Unity's terrain engine can do something like that.

That really is a killer scene. If only I was into RPG games...

14. botumys

botumys

The terrain in my first world was entirely sculpted with unity's tools :)

15. FlayMoreGames

FlayMoreGames

That stuff is Amazing !, Do u have skype ? Because :: ik zag dat je uit belgie komt

16. Robbilie2

Robbilie2

I loved your first world but as you said, the terrain looked like it was just simple unity terrains ;)
    This already looks much better :)

17. botumys

botumys

Test with larsbertram's advanced terrain shader.

Attached Files:

18. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi botumys,

well, i do not want to praise myself – but i think it looks good!
    it should be much easier now to get rid of tiling artifacts on the terrain textures and doesn’t look the fading between mesh trees and billboards look much nicer now? next to the bump mapping on the terrain which has been provided by chris morris – not me.

and your rocks really rock! great job.

lars

19. SevenBits

SevenBits

Is that so? I'd love to see it.

Come to think of it, I was going to make a large, open-world shooter once my current project is done. Combine this with streaming terrain, and you've got awesome to the max!

One quick question: do you export as a mesh, or as a height map? I'm a little curious as to how you'd get foreign height maps into Unity.

20. andorov

andorov

Then you'd be wrong.

He clearly says "this is what it is BEFORE exporting heightmaps," which leads me to believe that he exported heightmaps from WorldMachine and imported them into Unity, which is the way any professional artist would work anyway.

EDIT: You can import any heightmaps by using the Terrain menu in the menu bar. You can also stream terrain using a variety of methods, some of which are quite seamless.

21. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

there is an option under "terrain" called "import heightmap". you will have to import it as 16 bit raw.
    importing a mesh is not supportorted. well, of course you can import any mesh but you can not convert it into a terrain.

lars

22. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

He's using a unity terrain as a base, but you can clearly see the mountain in that first screenshot is not part of a heightmap; he's complimenting the heightmap with mesh mountains/cliff pieces.

23. pkid

pkid

So then does worldmachine export to 16 bit raw?

24. doomprodigy

doomprodigy

When I get ready to play with terrains I may send you a few PMs as to how you achieved this. Or a Tut?

Peace,

25. botumys

botumys

Exactly, I import heightmap from Worldmachine (16b raw). And I import a splatmap for the first 4 terrain textures.(created in world machine
    as well).
    To use external splatmap, I use easyroad. There is an option to backup/restore splatmap. After backup, I replace the image file created by easyroad by my own image coming from world machine.

After that, I create rocks in low poly, and sculpt them in mudbox (I have all the tools here, in the company where I work, I'm a lucky guy :) ). After mudbox process, I have normals maps and LOD to include in unity.

note: on unity wiki, I saw a script to import 3d terrain modeled in other app. (in obj format)

26. Kyzyk

Kyzyk

Just curious, are you going to be selling this?
    Cause I'm interested.

Thanks

27. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Last time your fantasy world just dissapered when it was handed over to another company :( i think it would be far better if you make a game based in it yourself as i wouldent trust this beutifull scene to anyone else :) im sure you could find collaborators easily with something as amazing as this.

28. botumys

botumys

This time, I want to keep this world for myself (and why not, create a game using this asset: I fact I have an idea, but not the time/knowledge to do it. The main idea is a mix between animal crossing/ farm ville like/ and a social network)

29. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

i love animal crossing (not so much farm ville) it would be interesting to see a game evolve from this :D but if you dont have the time :(

30. Zomby138

Zomby138

It's really great to see you working on one of these again, and it's already looking a lot better than last time!

Can't wait to see more updates.

31. doomprodigy

doomprodigy

I'd like to see a tut showing his process. Using World Machine, Making the Height Map, Importing it, Texture painting, specific shaders. etc etc

Would be a good resource, there is a lot of terrain talk going about these days.

Peace,

32. botumys

botumys

Because I'm using a lot of tutorials too, here's a tutorial wich explain how export heightmaps and splatmaps from Worldmachine (engine is udk, but exporting process is the same):

33. DaveLyons

DaveLyons

Have to admit that world you made does look amazing. I have World Machine 2 myself and have seen the power of it but I can't get my head around the app for what I want to use it for. Their tutorials on their site aren't too good either lol. All I want it for is to create a large world made of islands and continents but to do that....woah!!

Have you looked at GeoControl2? Has a feature called IsoLines which allow a more defined control of what you want the terrain to look like by being able to draw lines on the height map choosing where to make them raise or fall. I would recommend it if anyone has had the same thoughts as me on World Machine.

34. SevenBits

SevenBits

I see. The streaming terrain is cool but useless for my current project. However something I have on the back burner may benefit from this technology.

Yes, I believe he said that in a later post. That would be how I'd do it, too, if I was building an RPG world like that because Unity's sculpting tools clearly cannot achieve something that neat.

I'm sure someone can think of an exception, but just try doing that from scratch. Impossible.

35. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Nice looking scene, if I was to provide some (relatively minor) feedback, it would be that in the near regions the normal maps seem quite harsh. In the areas that are facing away from the light direction they seem to get over dark. Maybe some kind of fill light or tweaked lightmapping could fix this up a bit?

36. botumys

botumys

thanks !
    Actually there is no lightmapping in my scene, and fill light is provides by the ambient lighting. I think that my camera filters darkens a bit shadows too. For harsh normal maps, you talking about the background rocks?

37. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

$fw2_03_highlight.jpg

The red circled areas seem a bit dark, no so hard to fix really. Some lightmapping would do wonders.

By harsh normal maps i meant that it was making the lighting in these dark areas seem far too high frequency.

When a scene like this is in motion you need to be careful about high frequency lighting / normal maps. It leads to pixel shimmer and other aliasing artifacts. More often then not it's better to make things a bit less sharp, but they will look better in motion.

38. botumys

botumys

Thx for advices !
    I'll lower normal maps intensity (and try to smooth them). Maybe in crazy bump I tend to push the Fine detail value to high.
    For the lightmaps, I hope that the hacked shader I'm using support them!

39. botumys

botumys

Here's a new screenshot. I'm creating new trees.

Attached Files:

40. U7Games

U7Games

Really good looking!, that is what i can say about the big difference between free and pro, great professional features like screen effects !..
    cheers

41. doomprodigy

doomprodigy

I don't think you need Pro to do this. Or Do you?

Peace,

42. SevenBits

SevenBits

You don't need Pro to make the terrain, unless you plan to stream them; otherwise you do need Pro for Asset Bundle streaming.

You need Pro for sound effects, reverb zones and the like.

43. koen.pis

koen.pis

Making the terrain look this good would be hard if not imposible without postprocessing effects and those are pro only as well.

44. SevenBits

SevenBits

What sort of post-processing do you feel would be required?

45. koen.pis

koen.pis

For images so far I would guess there is some color correction going on with ssao over top. No mater how well your artist is some form of color correction is usually a must to fine-tune and get a coherent look in the final result.

46. botumys

botumys

I use color correction, sun shaft, antialiasing, bloom and of course real time shadows. And because I'm using 3.5, I use LOD system for rocks (only 2 lod, because there is a problem with lightmaps when there is more than 2 objects in the group).
    I'm using advanced terrain shaders v2 to add normal map on terrain (working fine with dual lightmaps but don't works with the new directional light mapping system)

47. aixaix

aixaix

All i have to say!

Amazing!

48. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Have you checked out the lightmapping LOD's example project (http://unity3d.com/unity/preview/download)? We use multiple LOD's here with lightmapping, there might be a setup issue in your project? If there is a real issue raise a bug and PM me the # and I'll forward it on to the responsible developer :)

49. botumys

botumys

Thx :)
    Here's the map of the region.(more or less)

Attached Files:

50. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Webplayer! :)