Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help: Level design

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Cedric, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Cedric

Cedric

Hi,
    I'm a 3D modeller and animator, and now I'd like to learn how to design levels. I know all the basics of Unity3D but nothing special. Can you teach me or do you know a guide that can? Please let me know :)

Grts

2. Diviner

Diviner

Check out my youtube tutorials, link is on my signature. I cover level design among many other things.

3. Cedric

Cedric

I checked out your video on level design but it's not really useful to me. You explain how you make a box and add a light to it, but I'm looking for a far more advanced guide on level designing. Maybe you could make another video on that subject but add more stuff to it?

4. Diviner

Diviner

It's not just one video on level design. It's several, and scattered throughout the entire series. Understanding the basic principles of level design requires deep understanding of programming and game design in general. It's not just a series of tips on how to put ambient lights or how to cast god rays through windows. It's tailoring each level to both the game's concept and its mechanics.

Even though I have covered level design on several of my videos, it's not something that gets written off that easily. As with every other aspect of a game, I plan to revisit level design over and over as the tutorial's game progresses.

If you're looking for quick solutions then my tutorial isn't right for you. If you want a spherical knowledge however, I suggest you watch all the episodes.

5. Skletal

Skletal

You can go to
    worldofleveldesign.com
    for many many design tips(not mainly on unity3d) but i enjoy reading the articles there

6. fafase

fafase

@skletal's answer si the one I was about to give as well. Register and you will get a nice pdf of how to design in 11days. At least it was about a year ago...