Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Oliver&Spike: Dimension Jumpers

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Kyena, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Kyena

Kyena

Please check out the last pages and posts for the latest updates and screenshots :) Links might be broken throughout the threads due to us replacing old ones with new ones

Hi everyone :)

Rock Pocket Games has been working with Unity3D for quite a while now. Our expertise is in iOS games but we also develope for PC/Mac and Console. Not only are we working on Unity3D GameKits (Platform and FPS) and already had success with "The Package" which was game of the week last year in the apple store, we have been focusing on a project for PC/Mac, Console with integration of Smartphones and Social Media channels, once again fully developed with Unity3D. The development started in 2010 and we feel a bit more comfortable now to talk about what we have been doing and what we plan on doing.

The basic idea of Oliver&Spike: Dimension Jumpers is, that there are several versions of the same game world. We call these dimensions. These alternative worlds will have the same basic shape, but otherwise be very different with different physical laws.

We follow Oliver, a boy with special abilities, and his faithful friend, the little dog Spike. Oliver was separated from his parents as a child and it's your task to uncover his past and future as you travel through the dimensions on the quest for answers. The game will feature innovative gameplay, where the player will get to explore alternate realities, where it's possible to manipulate, use and violate nature's laws to solve puzzles and overcome obstacles of more or less challenging difficulty levels.

In order for us to share our development and process and for interested people to share their input and feedback, we created a development blog. Feel free to visit if you are curious about more information, leave feedback and share your thoughts with us :)

I'll leave you with some art we took from concept to 3D:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  2. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Very polished looking artwork..will follow the blog for sure. Believe it or not I like to see what people put into the games technically. i.e. polygon counts running, texture sizes and implementation, like atlasing, etc.

3. Kyena

Kyena

Thanks James :)

If there is special information you are interested in let me know, I will bug the rest of the team and make an update about it.

But to answer your question for the model shown:
    The model consists of 2841 polys (5590 tris). Textures have been made in 4096x4096 (diffuse, specular, normal map).
    In game textures will be smaller probably something like 1024x1024.

4. ASchumacher

ASchumacher

I love the art style and the automobile looks fantastic. Very well done. I'm anxious to see these mechanics at work.

5. Kyena

Kyena

If you like the art you should definitely swing by our blog. We already have concept art in the gallery and will update it with much more (we got tons and tons and tons of character, environments and prop concepts laying around).

We already have a working/playable prototype but we are reworking the whole thing for GDC and Game Connection in March. Hopefully I can show you guys some of the new game-mechanics and graphics soon (with the GDC/GC Prototype version).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  6. Kyena

Kyena

I decided to share an older video of our WIP despite the fact that the look and feel of the game has changed drastically for the better. Both graphic/texture/animation and gameplay wise.

However, you still see how we did take the many, MANY concepts we had and translated them into 3D. The video shows a prototype WIP (clearly visible by the totally awesome barking special effects *cogh*) from middle of last year, please keep that in mind :)

If you have any technical questions however, don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  7. wccrawford

wccrawford

It looks pretty nice!

I can't help but make a correction, though. The video says 'alternatively' when it means 'alternately'.

8. Kyena

Kyena

Thanks a lot, that's what you get for not being a native English speaker :)

9. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Loving the thought out level design...distracting the plant with the dog, climbing up, dropping a log down on the plant and the dog walks through the log. Obviously well thought out progression/teamwork through the level. I also loved the part with the dog tunnel running through the cave...there are entire games just based on tunnel running, nice you could fit that in there as part of a whole. One tiny critique to help hopefully. You may have changed this as well, but I noticed it looked like the dog was sliding across the ground somewhat. I don't know if his legs moving in the animation, was coming across very well. Just thought I would try to give some critique alongside the praise.

10. NomadKing

NomadKing

Both the concept art and the render look great, and the game concept sounds pretty fun as well. Definitely time to go check out your blog :)

11. Kyena

Kyena

James, thanks for taking the time to analize the video :)
    No worries, the animations were mostly placeholders and will definitely not be like this. It's hard to show a work in progress video without stating a hundred times that this and that is not final and mostly placeholders (same with the kickass barking cg-effect ;)).
    Level design is going to be a very important part. One thing we didnt' show yet is the actual dimension switching. You have at least three different Dimensions per World/Cluster you are in. Which means that you can switch dimensions in order to exploit the physical law difference between those different versions. On top of the level design you saw in the video you will have to use that technique to drive the storyline forward.

The cave part was a rough example of one of the minigames we have planned around the main game. Since we have expertise in house that can cover all different kind of platforms, we are going to offer smartphone games around the Oliver&Spike world, too. Right now we have different genres planned for those.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  12. Kyena

Kyena

Thanks NomadKing!
    We would love for you guys to leave some feedback on our blog too. Some of the next updates will definitely also go into more technical details. Again, if you have any questions regarding specific parts, don't hesitate to ask.

13. Kyena

Kyena

Here is another from 2D to 3D comparison :)

Concept Art:

Actual in Game 3D Model:

We are currently finishing up work on special effects and texture blending. Hopefully I have a few new screenshots to share soon, for those interested.

14. Kyena

Kyena

Our Team is very excited!
    We have been selected together with 14 other Games to be featured at Game Connection 2012 in San Francisco. Go Unity! :D

15. n0mad

n0mad

Those are impressive graphics !

16. Kyena

Kyena

n0mad, thanks for the compliment, I did forward it to the team :)
    Here is the latest development trailer (we left some of the old gameplay features in but it also showcases the new graphics.

17. shahroozal

shahroozal

Its amazing !

18. Ayrik

Ayrik

This looks beautiful, congrats!

19. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

This game looks awesomely good :)

20. Gigabeat

Gigabeat

This looks very good!
    I love the graphical style and the concept looks like a lot of fun. :)

21. stefmen

stefmen

awesome style!

22. Salim

Salim

I look forward to this one, keep it up!

23. Kyena

Kyena

Thanks so much for all the positive encouragement guys. We really appreciate it :)
    If any of you happen to be at Game Connection or GDC in San Francisco, let us know!

24. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Make sure you swing by the Unity booth at GDC and say hi!

25. Ratchet

Ratchet

Just AWESOME.

Do you use hand painted textures or photosources for the level ?
    Do you use some multi shader texture on floor and walls ?

26. Farfarer

Farfarer

Lovely artwork - really digging the style. Especially the building.

27. uchiha007

uchiha007

I must say that this is one promising game. I am completely attracted to the gameplay and art style. If that video The concepts are really great too, I am looking forward to this, will definitely follow this. Keep up the awesome work =]

28. ZJP

ZJP

O m g !!!

29. Kyena

Kyena

Will do! We are holed up at Game Connection the first three days but after that we will spend as much time as possible at GDC.

30. Kyena

Kyena

We do not use any photo-sources. It's a mixture of hand-painted, generated, combined with information baked from sculpted information (mudbox). For example, we created a tile-able rock tile in mudbox, exported different information, like AO and height maps and used this together with hand-painted layers in photoshop.

Not quite sure what you mean by floor and walls :) We use different textures and shaders depending on the surfaces.

31. StormGamer

StormGamer

IMPRESSIVE!
    just 1 little detail i observed, the dog doesn´t touch the floor while walking, and also his animation is a little wierd, but other than that just amazing!

32. sama-van

sama-van

WoW!!
    I didn't watch both videos yet!! Amazing!!
    Can't wait to see more!! ^___^!!

33. giyomu

giyomu

great piece of work , congrat to all team members for their work !

34. Kyena

Kyena

Thanks for the feedback :)
    That part with the gameplay section is actually older material. Spikes animations are currently completely redone. (It bugged us too ;))

Again, thanks so much for all the feedback and encouragement everyone, we are very excited but also very nervous for San Francisco!

35. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

If you are doing some 'big' presentations in San Francisco I would recommend cutting some of the underwater sections of the video, they do not seem as polished as the rest and to me if feels like it takes away from the quality of the rest of what you have. I'm sure with time the quality will match, but the parts where the camera is panning underwater and there is text on the screen feels quite rough (Both stylistically and quality wise). :) The above water stuff looks amazing though.

36. Kyena

Kyena

You mean in the long trailer or the new one? Or both? The filler for the text sequences? Or the actual swimming sequences?

37. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

In the new trailer. It's mostly the filler / text that is the issue I think:
    $Capture.PNG
    $Capture2.PNG

Your game has such an amazing color pallet and use of contrast that these dark and drab images during the introduction scene seem slow and boring by contrast.

Comparing to what the game actually looks like:
    $Capture3.PNG
    $Capture4.PNG

The pallets are completely different, not just in color but in tone. If feels like the shots were from a different game. This even comes across in the scene when they are swimming underwater.
    $Capture5.PNG

To me it does not feel 'right', The characters seem in their element on land but the underwater sections seem really dark and gloomy. I think that if you brought the tone of the above ground areas into the underwater section it will help make those areas feel much more alive, and the flow from one area to another more homogenous and feel right.

Whilst your game does not use the same color pallet as games like mario and other platformers, I think that it would be a good idea to examine how these games use color in their underwater sections.

You could actually do some pretty cool things with the current pallet, have it slowly transition from a 'nice' color to the darker shade as you get towards a 'boss' or a darker piece of the game. But generally a much brighter higher contrast pallet suits your game.

I hope you don't mind the feedback, I see here something with great potential and want to see it head in the right direction. Feel free to disregard anything I have said as this is your artistic vision and not mine :)

38. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Something that feels more like this I think would work for your game:
    $Capture6.PNG
    Mario kart
    $Capture7.PNG
    Boom Blox
    $Capture8.PNG

39. Kyena

Kyena

Ah, yes I totally agree with you.
    That's because the underwater scenes are from the older build and will be completely overhauled.
    Unfortunately we didn't have time to work out the underwater scene or get enough footage of the new builds to make an interesting trailer. We had to get something out with the new footage within 2 days :)
    (sorry, not trying to make excuses here, I love the input).

40. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hey it's cool and I completely understand the practicality of game development and I believe you will get it all sorted out in the end. My point was more, "If in San Francisco you are showing this to some potential big investors / press it would be a good idea to strip out these bits that don't add to your presentation as they slow it down and mess up the flow". For the swimming it might be worth just showing skinned and animated mesh's in a well lit isolated 'sandbox' area. More an indication of 'yes there will be swimming' instead of 'here is swimming but it's not so good looking at the moment'. :)

41. Kyena

Kyena

Gotcha, thanks a lot for the input. We had to send the trailer three days ago but I will try create some additional ones for on set showing during meetings :)

42. Demigiant

Demigiant

Love the puzzle exploration concept :) It's been ages since I played a serious puzzle exploration game (they're too easy since more than a decade), and Oliver Spike definitely looks interesting and original. Plus I love the artwork (though I find it a little too bright). Will definitely look forward to it :)

43. traden

traden

wow, I love the look and feel of this game. I'll be following this one for sure!

44. EvilAlienAlpha

EvilAlienAlpha

Such a great art style and cool looking idea. Consider me a fan!!

45. Kyena

Kyena

46. smilefr

smilefr

This looks amazing! The textures, models and lightings are perfect.

I hope your project will be a success!

47. Kyena

Kyena

Some new screenshots :)

Since we have voice-overs we created a tool within unity to more efficiently find the files needed to add them. I will write some more on our blog once I got time.

We are also using a unique blending method for mixing textures on the terrain (that makes it look like stones and such are submerged in sand for example, like you can see slightly on the bottom screenshot). More on that later as well :)

48. Steffan-Poulsen

Steffan-Poulsen

I just finished watching some of the GDC footage, and I have to say that your game looks absolutely beautiful! One thing did strike me though. During the demonstration it was mentioned that the dimension shifting would cost crystals? I get why this is implemented, but if it were me I would probably look at limiting/challenging the user in a different way, since the dimension shifting is the core gameplay mechanic (and so very beautifully executed btw.) it would be a shame not to be able to mess around with it, without the worry of wasting crystals!

An obvious comparison and example would be the game Quantum Conundrum by Airtight Games - In their game (I assume you are familiar with it) - you have unlimited use of dimensions in each level, depending on whether or not the dimension is unlocked/found.

There are millions of ways to add challenge and directive control - limiting the access to your core gameplay mechanic doesn't have to be one of them :) Looking at the state of your game, I'm guessing that you are already very aware of things such as these - but nonetheless I hope my perspective might be of some use.

Best of luck to you and your team!
    /Steffan

49. Demigiant

Demigiant

Have to agree with Steffan. I don't like when something in-game "costs", and I end up using it as least as possible (and I suppose I'm not the only one). Which would be a pity for such a core mechanic :p

50. n0mad

n0mad

Those last screenshots ! omg ! :p