Search Unity

Oliver&Spike: Dimension Jumpers

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Kyena, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I want this game.

2. PixelWyrm

PixelWyrm

I've been following this for awhile now and I have to say, this looks pretty amazing!

3. Kyena

Kyena

Due some feedback from multiple sources we are re-working the 3D Oliver slightly. Nothing to show yet but we are working on it :)
    By mid August we should be able to go full steam on O&S again. Really looking forward to that! :D

4. Kyena

Kyena

New small update!
    We added some more information about the different dimensions to our blog.
    That also includes a small dimension jumping game-play example and some 3D art and screenshots of basic actions you are able to do at the start of the game (there will be more as you progress) :)

5. virror

virror

Wow, thats sooo cool, seems like the dimension change is very fluid.
    Looking forward to this one a lot : )

6. galent

galent

Awesome!

7. n0mad

n0mad

Holy cow ... That's a fantastic gamedesign !

8. Demigiant

Demigiant

Double triple and quadruple wow! The dimension switch looks sooo sexy, and seems like something that should really add a lot of fun :)

9. Mander

Mander

it looks amazing, plus its a fresh idea where u could make tons of really awesome puzzles i'm amazed with the posibilities. what im worried about is the action, to spice things a little bit. i saw a gun in one of the videos i belive, but rather slow.

i know u guys have lots of work to do but those were my 1st thougths hehe :p

here some ideas that u might have thought already:

-limited breathing/air underwater. (maybe some air bubble under water to reach dificult spots or caves and change of dimention to breath)

-boss interactive battles, for example: a boss in the normal realm like a caveman(in a cave xD) or a strong guy with a mace that when he hits if u move asap he hits the ground and make spikes from the cieling fall, and u have to change to the low gravity realm to make the spikes fall slowly and move the boss so the spike hit the caveman and stun him so u r able to hit him. but if u take long enough and the spikes fall on the ground making the boss change to his preferent realm. and maybe and i just thought this after u defeat the boss u get his mace and use it against other enemies just like in the fight :O.

-some inventory would be awesome zelda like inventory. just perfect for this game

-make some towns for specific regions but when entering town zone. make ur hero unable to change realms so it wont "affect" them maybe display some text or some voice of the hero " i cant do that right now" , "i won't do this here" idk something cool as he doesn't want to affect good ppl :).

-epic quests in dungeons :)

-"stay" command for spike for specific puzzles

-i saw a car in ur cocepts. it would be awesome to have a quest whereu have to drive the car to a certain place with obstacles where u have a constant acceleration, and u could only move right or left and use ur realm powers in time so u don't fall off a cliff or pass thru certain obstacles.

i could be writing all day. but i have to work haha hope u find something useful :p i might write some more later after work hahaha.

oh and sorry for my bad english and long post

10. Kyena

Kyena

Thanks for all the feedback! :)

You will unlock and find a lot of weapons throughout the game. Some are quite straight forward and some are needed in combination. The adventure game-play will have you combine items in order to progress and that sometimes includes weapons too. While you only start out with the Jojo and a bit later the slingshot there are many more tools to discover :)

We haven't really shown or talked about our boss fights: There are different scripted events. Some of them you have to learn patterns others are timed and so on. Unfortunately I can't go into detail here since it's part of your very detailed Game Design Document and we are not ready to share too much of the game-play details just yet.

Your time underwater is limited by the air counter visible on the top left corner. Later on you will get gadgets that lets you stay a bit longer and there are also special locations underwater where you can refill your air counter. :)

Quests, we do have quests and interaction with npcs. The same is true for towns and villages which are all important to the actual story and the adventure part of the game. The first location you will quest in is the Waba village. I hopefully can show you parts of it within the next few days.

It's planned that Clara's beloved car is playing an important role in one of the tie-in smartphone mini games ;)

11. Mander

Mander

Awesome!. thx for reading and answering. i know u can't reveal alot right now, it would ruin the suprise :p

and about the smartphone minigames. please don't do that. it just ruins most games. if u gonna add minigames just add em in the pc/mac game. i hate when devopers do that and remember that not everyone have smartphones. imagine a pokemon stadium that instead of having the minigames in the actual game u had to play them in a smartphone, not cool. Again this is just my humble opinion and i don't really know what u have planned xd.

but i cant just say don't do it hehe that would be useless right? so what i would do is to make a minigame option in the main menu, Unavailable
    Until u unlock the minigame in game story. in other words u have to do the quest before u can spam play on the minigame at the main menu. that would be something cooler, and its kind of an achievement and a gives the player a sense of acomplishment.

anyways.

can't wait to see some more.

12. Khyrid

Khyrid

Yeah no smartphone minigames! I don't have a smart phone either.

13. Kyena

Kyena

They are not mandatory to the game per se - more like additional information or something to keep you connected to Oliver&Spike if you are not home :)

14. Kyena

Kyena

Currently working on the Waba Village on Firma.
    Here are a screenshots of a part of the area. Inhabitants will follow soon :)

15. Kyena

Kyena

Finally a small update :)

We are currently working on the co-op part. Specifically having Oliver and Spike work together against AI.
    One (admittedly small) task will be for the players to herd Waba Chickens in co-op mode.

Here is an image of the little culprit in question (they are quite hilarious in action - hopefully I can post some video footage soon):

On top of this, we are working on boss fight mechanics, puzzle/quest/npc and environment interaction and the rest of the game mechanics we haven't been able to show yet. Exciting times :D

16. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Beautiful game! Amazing!!

17. n0mad

n0mad

Dat village .... o__________o

18. Kyena

Kyena

Small update :)
    Most of the work is done programming wise but we have some side-by-side comparison between the 2D concept and the 3D realisation for Nox and Chyme:

And, since we have so many cool art assets we went and made a Oliver&Spike Zazzle store. Not that much available yet but we keep adding whenever time permits :)

19. music-composer

music-composer

Love the character design, really nice work. Looking forward to seeing more :)

20. botumys

botumys

I'm in love with this game!

21. Kyena

Kyena

Thanks to both of you :)
    Got your message Charlie - thanks. I'll check everything out asap!

I wish I had a bit more to show but luckily now that we are back full force with development again, we should have some more gameplay videos with new mechanics soon.

We are also working on a more detailed step by step blog post on how we take 2D to 3D for the end of this week, which will hopefully be interesting for some of you. It's going to feature the mutated Waba chicken Boss from one of the first boss fights :D

22. Kyena

Kyena

Some exclusive Screenshots for the Unity Community only :)
    Oliver is exploring and making friends in the Waba Village - while Spike enjoys chasing the Cyclucs around.

23. n0mad

n0mad

I wanna live there.

24. Kyena

Kyena

Haha, I know, right? I mentioned the same earlier and it looks so much cuter and better in motion :)

25. Kyena

Kyena

We are currently fighting with Mechanim. Turns out the rigging on a non humanoid monster can't be done in any random way.
    Our Waba-Modimo Boss Chicken is giving us some headaches right now.

26. pk_Holzbaum

pk_Holzbaum

Wow, can't wait for this game. It looks absolutely gorgeous!

I'm not a fan of kickstarters, but if this game was on kickstarter I would totally support it :)

27. galent

galent

I love the art style of this game. Really looking forward to this one!!!

Congrats on an awesome job thus far!!

Cheers,

Galen

28. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I have to say... just seeing these screen shots, this game looks STUNNING... definitely a high quality title

29. JoeVoxel

JoeVoxel

The idea of multiple dimensions is great. This is a very nice game.

30. ogier

ogier

I am in awe of all the creativity and awareness of the details of your universe.
    Everything I've seen of your project is beautiful, well made ​​and everything is smooth. You are an amazing team!

31. TheSin

TheSin

Damn, this looks this fantastic. Awesome work guys.

32. Kyena

Kyena

Thanks so much everyone!! :)

We are currently working on the first Mudimo boss fight, a really complex example of the dimension jumping/platform puzzles (the switching shown in earlier videos is very basic) and actual npc interaction/questing. I can't wait to show you guys all the things in motion.
    We also managed to get around the mechanim issues and I try to get some write-up from Arnleif who is currently working with the tool in Unity.

33. john-essy

john-essy

This Really is EPIC, I love it, The style, mechanic, feel just everything. Cant wait to see more.

34. Kyena

Kyena

Hi everyone!

I kinda hate doing the whole pitching thing but if you can please help us out to vote for us on indiedb for best or most promising upcoming indiegame.
    That would be super cool <3
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/oliverspike-dimension-jumpers

Thanks to everyone who considers voting :)

35. Kyena

Kyena

Some 3D step by step this time :)
    Meet the first Mudimo Boss you are going to encounter in game which happens after an unfortunate accident with one of the Cyclucs..

Modelled in 3D Studio Max.
    Polycount: 6920 tris.
    4096x4096 diffuse, specular, normal map textures.
    Sculpted in Mudbox.

In game the boss is 3,3 meters up the top of his hunched back.
    About 6 meters long, including tentacles.

Hope you guys enjoy :)

36. IndieVideoGamer

IndieVideoGamer

Fantastic work!!!!!!!

Really looking forward to playing this.

37. Kyena

Kyena

We are currently working with mechanim and had some issues with animating the chicken boss. Mainly because we set the rig up without keeping in mind that it's easier to use humanoid/generic rigging for mechanim. Took a bit longer than we thought but we made it work in the end :)

A lot of animation works is currently done for Oliver. Pushing and dragging object in the different dimensions asks for different animations, obviously and the boss fight itself is quite tricky puzzle wise which means I can't wait to show it with a hands-on version (hopefully we can make it to GDC in San Francisco :))

A lot of additional mechanics are getting added to the game and a lot of special probs for puzzles and fights are being created by Henning our art director. The big guy above won't give up his secrets without a proper fight and players will have to study their surroundings closely and use the switching and different dimensions wisely during the fight.

Oh Oliver&Spike also made it into the top 100 indie games on indiedb.com and we are through to the second round of voting. If you feel like supporting us and have a few minutes to spare, you can do so here.

Sorry for the plug but I thought I'd mention it. A heartfelt thank you to anyone who might have voted and got us into the top 100. That's already a huge achievement for us <3

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  38. Kyena

Kyena

Small update on our blog on what we have been up to :)
    After working on some client projects and cracking some deadlines we have more people assigned to Oliver&Spike again :D

To summarize: We are working on QTE, little things like Oliver and Spike turning their heads and reacting to objects automatically, Camera code (the dreaded problem you have to deal with if you develop 3D games with free camera movement and intersecting with objects in front of the camera), Facial expressions, animations and much more.

39. Pix10

Pix10

I really can't believe I've missed this. Truly outstanding, beautiful workmanship. From concept to finished artwork, it's not just pretty it's mouth watering. I want to play!

Best looking game I've seen since Uncharted 3. Big hugs for the whole team Kyena, you must all be seriously proud.

40. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

This game looks absolutely gorgeous, great art style as well, looking forward to seeing the finnished product, good luck to you guys! :)

41. VGS

VGS

excellent art style and visual
    keep going man

42. Kyena

Kyena

Wow thanks so much for the comments guys. I'll make sure to pass it on to the rest of the team :)
    Make sure to come by during GDC, if you are around, and visit us for a hands-on test. More info on where you can find us later :)

43. shaderop

shaderop

I'm not sure how I managed to miss this thread until today. I wanted to post earlier but I've just finished picking my jaw off the floor. It's looking gorgeous, and the game mechanics are so interesting that I wouldn't mind playing it if it was made with ASCII art.

44. Kyena

Kyena

Wow, what an amazing compliment. Thank you :)
    And we haven't actually shown most of the game mechanics yet. Which we will though, soon!

45. n0mad

n0mad

46. Kyena

Kyena

We saw, thanks!
    A bit later into Rockpapershotgun too - crazy times :)

47. Kyena

Kyena

Small new Screenshot teaser for the GDC Hands-On Demo :)

48. Kyena

Kyena

Among a lot of other things Oliver is getting some super-duper-awesome-kickass-yoyo attacks (at least that is what *I* call them ;))
    A few examples underneath (one is a super sekrit sneak peak at one of the areas we haven't shown yet and won't really show more before GDC).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  49. n0mad

n0mad

My eyes ... they're bleeding rainbows ...

50. Kyena

Kyena

Uoh..does that mean too much color or is that a good thing? 0_o