Search Unity

Wikened's project :)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Wikened, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Wikened

Wikened

Blog: https://wikened.wordpress.com/

Project:

Name: Not yet decided! Help me pick one Here!
    Type: Vote here: http://wikened.wordpress.com/2012/02/01/multiplayer-or-not/
    Description:
    Coming Soon...

Note: Sorry in advance for any tipo's :) Hope you enjoy!

I only started this project on Saturday the 28th of January 2012. So it's new, very new. You can see I don't have a lot of stuff decided such as the name and type and description. This is because I am planning it all now :D. Before I get going with the coding of the game (Thats what I do), I want to make sure I have it setup right. This means I don't have a lose idea which popped up in my head while I was at the toilet or trying to fall asleep. No, I want to have an Idea which is well designed and thought of or else the chances are that it will go nowhere. So I have been creating mind maps on Mindmeister to help keep what pops into my brain safe and retrievable. So far I have MANY idea's but I want to pick the good ones. The ones which will most likely work and allow players to enjoy their experience with the game. That is the point... Making a game which is enjoyable by players. Another thing I want to think of before I decide the type of game (RPG, MMORPG etc...) is who my target audience will be. Who will this game be for? I must ask this question before I do anything. I have thought of it and I would say this game will be targeted towards people who enjoy playing a fantasy worlds such as the Zelda games and Final Fantasy but also people that like games such as Minecraft and Voxel based games. Why? Because I think these types of games are amazing and they have a HUGE fan base. I have decided a basic story line for the time being which I will post below this, don't forget that this is super basic and will be developed into something better soon! Now if you have got any questions or just want to comment, feel free to leave it below!

Storyline:
    *From a Quest Dialog*
    Not long ago, these lands had no rulers. Everyone was happy and life flourished, but 5 creatures discovered that this land could be harnessed for power and wealth... They joined together and called themselves the Elemental Lords. Life start to grow dull and weak and many creatures died out due to the new reign of these Lords. Slavery begun and huge mining operations commenced, those who refused were either killed or magically forced to work for eternity. But a few years after the Lords started this evil, a great hero by the name of Rakelin decided that this land was not to be ruled and started a great quest. He fought hard and bravely but it wasn't enough. He managed to destroy one elemental lord, and his name was Magikas. Magikas controlled all the magic in the land, but since his death, magic has been oblished and the slaves belonging to Magikas were free'd. They gathered up and built a new community in desperate efforts to try and re-generate the world, we are that community. There are four more Elemental Lords left and they are planning their revenge for their fallen brother Magikas. I believe you are the re-incarnation of the fallen hero that free'd us, Rakelin. Now go, go to the Blacksmith he will equip you with some armor and we will begin your training.

Like I said this story line is basic so don't be to harsh! Thanks guys more coming soon. I am just initiating my forum threat

Art:
    I am NOT so please be nice! I will try to get someone to re-do them once I finish planing. $VolexFront_Map010001.jpg
    $scan0001.jpg
    $VolexFront_Map010002.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. Wikened

Wikened

Reserved

3. Wikened

Wikened

Reserved For later

4. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

I hope you realise my game is called elemental world: part 1 rise of the gaurdians and has a very similar story and has been built and currently going to start alphas and have the name,maps and assets copyrighted and soon trademarked.
    Your story,lands and possible name Voxel Front: Rise of the Elements is borderline the same so you may have to change them/modify slightly so you dont have leagal problems

5. NomadKing

NomadKing

The names are nothing alike, the story is hardly an original concept, and it has been 1000 times before across a plethora of fantasy mediums. Add to this that his game is a rough concept and yours is in 'alpha', I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

There's no real need to be hostile or paranoid in someone else's WIP thread. :)

6. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

lol im not i was just giving a warning before he sets it in stone spends loads on art assets ect only to be shot at half way through lol sorry if it seemed overly hostile

7. Wikened

Wikened

Hello WiseOwlStudios,
    I can see that from http://forum.unity3d.com/search.php?searchid=2048607 you are actually the one who owns "Elemental World: Rise of the Guardians". I have read your post and I am trying to stay away from your game in terms of story and name. Thank you for your concern but my name "Voxel Front: Rise of the Elements" doesn't have any link to your except for the "Rise of the" and "Elemental". They are going to be WAY different games meaning that no one should get confused between the two. Of course I will keep your game in mind because you have the right since your project was started before mine but don't worry I will not interfear in anyway with your project.

Addressing your Story line problem:
    LIke NomadKing said, this type of story line has been used before so is not "Unique" to your project and because it is so broad you cannot protect it in anyway. You can Patent your story line but because yours and mine do not match with a direct link, you cannot accuse me of any legal infringements. You to let you as well, if you don't want someone to copy your idea you should post parts of it on your post because we don't know what your story line is.

I wish you lots of luck with your project and thank you so much for your concern and I will keep it in mind!

- Vincent R.

8. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

ok i was just advising you to keep an eye out before you set things in stone save troubles later but it will hopefully be enough difference to keep legals out of it sorry again if the first post seemed over threatening etc
    and i wasn't bothered to much on the story side as both are kinda generic good vs evil etc anyway good luck with yours and i hope there no problems between our games in the future :)

9. JRavey

JRavey

I see no problem with the OP's project, the replies are most awkward.

Have we firmly established that any fantasy games now need "Wise" Owl's approval and we must all avoid "Rise", "Elements", "World", and "Guardians" in any way shape or form?

10. hjupter

hjupter

Curious "Rise of the elements" is the name of one of my projects hehe, here are the logos i made for it

11. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

It was mostly the name i was concerned about as it was similar to mine and i didnt want the game to get to similar that it gets confused with mine etc and lets end the convo about the fight here as we all don't want to get banned or this thread locked

12. wccrawford

wccrawford

The name is close enough that I thought the name was the same on the other thread.

13. Wikened

Wikened

*End convo please :D*

Thanks Wise Owl Studios.

Now back to this project and its updates :) I am currently acquire small assets such as a temp character and NPC's and scenery to test out things such as the Character Controller and Combat system. I think I will start by creating these scripts first so other things can be done. I may also decide to add multiplayer like Minecraft did. I am not sure yet it is a possibility and if I do, then it's OK because I have lots of knowledge in the built-in Unity networking AND Photon socket server.

Thanks guys. Please leave comments if you are puzzled by anything or just curious about something!

14. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

@hjupter - awesome looking logos btw.

15. Wikened

Wikened

Agree'd they are superb!

16. Wikened

Wikened

17. hjupter

hjupter

@JamesArndt @Wikened : Thank you guys, I really appreciate it :)