Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Sea life pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by janpec, Jan 30, 2012.

?

How much would you pay for this pack?

1. 40-70$

94 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. 70-100$

37 vote(s)
    22.8%
  3. 100-150$

31 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

Nice to know the price i started a fundraiser to help me raise funds to buy the pack :D also just wondering for penguins and stuff will they have land animations (eg idle stand/walk )or is that something id need to pay animator for

2. janpec

janpec

WiseOwlStudios Penguins or any other animals do not have land animations. Only swim, eat and fastswim animations are provided with those assets that are animated.

3. janpec

janpec

Little stupid question, but could someone let me know how to delete question poll ? I cant find anywhere an option do modify / delete it.

4. janpec

janpec

Example of underwater scene and preview of animations. Sorry for lagy video, my notebook is working very slow lately.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  5. garyhaus

garyhaus

Could you please let us know when this will be available? Really could use this pack. Thanks for your time.

Gary

6. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

looks great :) i'm defently getting when out and the idle etc for land animals no biggy ill just add them :) great job

7. ivanzu

ivanzu

Nice,started laughing when I saw the wish with big tooth's,you should try ccleaner maybe it speed ups your pc.

8. janpec

janpec

Ivanzu i have scanned computer with every free antivirus software i could get and all registry repair tools i could find, but sadly it didnt do any good.

On a side note, just wanted to say that two fish have been added to pack: yellowfin_tuna and yellow_boxfish.

I am putting files together i think that it should be ready by tomorrow.

9. garyhaus

garyhaus

What is your price so I can let the purchasing people know?

10. janpec

janpec

Gary as i mentioned before price for pack will be 69 dollars.

11. garyhaus

garyhaus

So sorry I missed that. Thank you.

12. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

This is a great package!! Too bad about the dolphins! You gotta re-do them some time! You've done so many it must be like breathing!! hehe! You're a machine!!! My respects! :D

13. jashan

jashan

Sorry to hear that. I always find it terribly frustrating when these kinds of things happen. I really love TimeMachine on Mac OS X - it's a backup system that you never need to worry about until you need it. And then it just works. Like one time, I had overwritten a file with another version and still needed the old state. I just went "back in time" and recovered the old version and all was good ... in a manner of 2 minutes.

Not sure if there's something comparable available for Windows, though ... but one thing that I feel is very nice as well (and also available on every system) is using version control hosted on another machine. So when the machine you work on fails, you just get the latest version from the version control server ... and if the version control server fails, you might lose the history - but at least you still have the most current version on your local machine.

Finally, DropBox is also quite nice (if you don't mind your stuff being put on some other company's server ;-) ).

In any case, I guess I'll buy the package with or without dolphin just to make sure you can get a new computer (hoping, of course, that others will be doing the same) ;-)

14. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

In regards of the price, my very humble experience is that it might affect profit a little, but overall what'll change most is the amount of customers!

I've submitted a few models to the asset store already, and what I do is work on something that I believe is worth at least $15, so you could say each package I make is about the same value (except the tree pack, I think it might be a little overpriced, unless I improve it).

But here's the thing, one of the packages, which I submitted for $15, the guys at the asset store suggested me to raise the price 3 times that and I agreed. And the result was, while each sale gave me 3 times more profit, more or less 1/3 of the people were able to purchase the package this time! So basically profit stayed the same!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  15. janpec

janpec

Added dolphin to pack. I have been busy modeling it, which means that pack release has been delayed for one day. Render was done this time in Mudbox, becouse i had problems with Unity screenshot script, but i can guarantee that it looks pretty much the same in Unity.

16. ivanzu

ivanzu

That's really good looking model.

17. janpec

janpec

I have also added blue shark to the pack.

18. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Awesome work!

19. jashan

jashan

Awesome, thank you! I think that makes the package complete from my point of view and is certainly worth the 1-day delay ;-)

20. janpec

janpec

I have wanted to inform everyone that package was already submited to asset store, but they were unable to accept it becouse biggest accepted size should not be over 500 mb. Current package size is 620 mb, which means that i will have to reduce package size by leaving some files in extra package, i will probably exclude all environment stuff and release them in external package.
    Becouse i have very slow internet speed at the momment and i need to do some restructuring of scenes i appologise for delaying release date again for day or two.

21. Zogg

Zogg

I agree - but now that you have to split up the pack due to its size, why not split it into a marine and a freshwater pack?

22. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

Will the 2+ packages still come to $69 or more?

23. goat

goat

What is the size of, for example, the dolphin?

Based on the fact these are fish my guess is these models are way to big to be used in Unity.

Each model shouldn't be over 5 MB at most.

24. janpec

janpec

WiseOwlStudios the price will be 70 for animal package and environment assets will be released for free, sadly it is becoming nightmare submitting it to asset store. I am struggling for two whole days with numbers of problems which are mostly bugs of Unity engine or problems otherwise. Right now i am getting error GC fatal error: too many roots in sets, which is supposed to be fixed bug in Unity 3.5 but i have no idea why Unity assetstore tools have not been updated for 3.5 yet which does not allow me to use this version of engine.

@goat model sizes are arround 300-1000 KB, basically bellow 1mb, but the textures add up a lot. Most of animals have three textures or some even 6 becouse of two different mateirals which provide more variation. Also i didnt want to use jpeg or similar low quallity texture files and rather used .tga or .tiff which are bigger in size. However it isnt any problem anymore becouse i have sucessfuly crunched down package size to 460mb and the other one to 200, but as i said its just too many problems comming from Unity engine that do not allow me to succesfully submit pack to asset store.

25. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I hope unity will support your efforts and provide some help with the asset store problems, I'm sure you will sell a lot of this pack and it's a great promotion of the asset store, this pack is among the highest quality models I have seen on the store.

26. janpec

janpec

Lars thank you for kind words, somehow i have been able to submit pack now and avoid error that i had before. I just hope that UT soon updates AssetStore tools to version 3.5 and avoid any bugs that were already fixed in later versions.

27. DylanCPL

DylanCPL

Wow... just wow... What's the average tri count per fish?

28. ivanzu

ivanzu

Here

29. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

ok thanks as i been saving for them and almost have enough :D

30. Art Of Bytes

Art Of Bytes

@janpec, well done, models look really great!
    Looking forward to seeing them in asset store. Could you please, notify here or in the new topic when it is finally there? Would be really helpful if you gather links to all your assets in one message.
    Good luck!

31. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Hey!! The dolphin is back!!

Now this package is absolutely perfect!!

32. orb

orb

Great to see it happening :)

I hope you nag them about all the issues you have with the asset store.

33. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I guess now we have to wait for unity to approve this pack? will take them some time checking all these models :)

34. janpec

janpec

I think that Asset store admins are not working durring weekend, which means that pack will be probably accepted in monday if nothing goes wrong.

35. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

It's on the store!!! bought it!! fantastic :)

36. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

When you have some extra time is it possible to update the pack with 3 LOD stages for unity 3.5 ? I would love to use them for mobile devices.

37. janpec

janpec

Link to asset store:

http://u3d.as/content/janpec/underwater-animals-pack

Second package with free underwater props will be added in few days.

Lars thank you for purchase, for mobile devices all you need to do is to use lower texture sizes than defaults. Instead 1024x1024 textures you can use 512 or less, which you can set up in Unity by clicking on texture size and use lower resolution, triangle count is not that much problem if you dont use too many fish at once. I will try to find some time maybe in future to make LODs, but i cant promise for sure.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  38. pkid

pkid

Looks good, I will buy it soon. By the way, I don't think the picture you put on the asset store does your pack justice. Even though the text says there are over 100 animals in the pack, if you just glance at the picture it looks like it's just the whales. You might want to think about putting up a picture that shows more.

39. janpec

janpec

Pkid, there are screenshots attached when you check on package in asset store and i have also attached this forum link, where most of the fish are listed.

40. janpec

janpec

Just to let everyone know, prop package will be ready next week in monday or a day later.

41. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Awesome!

42. Heartbrake

Heartbrake

Amazing modeling.
    This is really worth $70-$100 hands down. It has way too much quality and features to make it any less.

43. kiwy

kiwy

What a great pack. I could pay 50$ for it. i love it.

44. janpec

janpec

Kiwy i hope you will be able to make purchase at current price:D Just wanted to say that free underwater prop pack has been delayed becouse i am very bussy with other two packs that are in development. It will be released somewhen this month.

45. n0mad

n0mad

Impressive quality ! Congrats, they're all beautiful !

46. replay11

replay11

Awesome Package !! I can't wait to get it!
    :)

47. janpec

janpec

Thanks joeyjr for purchase, i hope it will serve you well:D

48. janpec

janpec

49. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks very generous !

50. janpec

janpec

I just wanted to say thank you everyone who have purchased this pack, money will be well spent on resources for indie game development. For any questions feel free to contact me via PM.