Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Sea life pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by janpec, Jan 30, 2012.

?

How much would you pay for this pack?

1. 40-70$

94 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. 70-100$

37 vote(s)
    22.8%
  3. 100-150$

31 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. janpec

janpec

Underwater animals pack has been released in asset store. Pack includes many different animal species, that can be found in fresh or salt water.

Download link to asset store:
    http://u3d.as/content/janpec/underwater-animals-pack

Example scene.

Underwater prop pack will be released soon with different prop models that you can use for your underwater game.

Pack includes caustic generator for underwater scenes, which works great for smaller underwater scenes.

Underwater fitting music will be added in pack, which was created by composer Shaul Hadar.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. junkyardog

junkyardog

That is a massive pack.

3. ludiares

ludiares

Man, this is truly awesome. AWESOME. But, what would be the price? I suppose over 150$, right?

4. stefmen

stefmen

i found nemo!
    nice pack man

5. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Nice work.

This is more suited to the Asset store section of the site so I have moved it there.

Retrokat likes this.
  6. Cascho01

Cascho01

Are the models rigged?

7. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Totally amazing pack if these are rigged/animated (basic locomotion)/to scale.

8. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hmmm,

I'm starting to think on a French recipe called Bouillabaise. Why's that?

Nice work!

9. garyhaus

garyhaus

Are these rigged and animated?

10. jashan

jashan

This looks awesome ... I'd like to second the question: are they rigged and animated? And I have a second question: Any dolphins available? ;-)

11. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

janpec, wow!

12. janpec

janpec

Thanks guys for all nice comments, yes almost all organic models are rigged and animated with three animations (swim, fast swim and bite-eat). However i do have to add that animations arent nothing special as it were my first animations i have ever done, i will for sure post some example video that will show animations.

*I have added some few more renders, becouse i forgot to add them before.
    (moray, ammonite, electric eel, cheirolepis, eusthenopteron, latimeria, earthworm, blackseanettle, blue cichlid)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  13. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

This is incredible. First in the amount this pack includes, and second in the good quality of these assets.

14. 3dFoin

3dFoin

wow there's a lot of fish :D nice pack dude

15. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Jesus! They look excellent.

16. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

Amazing work. As a diver myself (and making an underwater game right now), this pack looks fantastic and very credible. Are they optimized for mobile devices?

17. runningbird

runningbird

WOW!!! this is an awesome pack... what will the cost be?

18. janpec

janpec

@Helioxfilm Great to hear that, i am working towards getting more dives too, i have just passed open diver exam not too long ago:D
    I would say that assets are optimised for mobile devices, but you will have to use them wisely. For example if you have only 10 fish on scene at once that could pass, but for anything more you will need to decrease texture quallity for half and maybe make LODs.

@runningbird I am not sure about price yet, any suggestions are wellcome :D

19. zappapa

zappapa

great! but... no dolphin?

20. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Great pack !!

I would pay 50 dollar no problem.

21. pkid

pkid

Nice pack. What kind of poly counts do the models have?

22. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

I so want this pack it looks great :D it would look great in my mmo and the ones that dont quite fit as wild can be bait or pets or something :) i would happily pay upto 50 (after this id need little time get the cash lol as trying get core features in)

23. goat

goat

I was actually looking to create Amazon River Basin stuff myself what's the chances of you adding a Cardinal Tetra (pretty much the same thing as a Neon Tetra), an Angel Fish, some other cichids, pirañas and Amazon trees and other wildlife?

Depending on what you're asking it might be a better ideal to divide these up by ecosystems if the cost of your whole set is prohibitive.

24. janpec

janpec

@pkid Triangle count ranges between 500-2000 in avarage.

@goat Sorry i do not have time at the momment to create more fish as i am working on other pack already. Basically there are few species that are from amazon habittat like piranhas, arapaima, discus and some others, but if i am guessing correct you are looking mostly for aquarium species, and those are not in pack. I did make one amazon tree with very big and long roots, i will add in in pack.
    I might separate pack into three ecosystem packs, not sure yet.

25. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

Do you have any idea when you will be releasing it/adding to the store?

26. janpec

janpec

Yes very soon, in couple of days.

I have added poll for price, please vote if you are interested in purchase becouse i would like to make price and pack structure accordingly to what users can afford.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  27. goat

goat

I would be interested in separate ecosystems @ $20 a pack (I consider the otter a Amazoniam species as well though I didn't pay any attention if it was a salt-water or river otter), although I guess for salt water species they are too far ranging.

28. ivanzu

ivanzu

Awesome job on the fishes wish you many sales!

29. janpec

janpec

Thanks ivanzu :D

30. Jolon

Jolon

Looks wonderful, I too will purchase as soon as it's available. I think it's a great idea to at a minimum separate marine from freshwater.

(It always frustrates me that in Just Cause 2, a very detailed game otherwise, there are giant tetras swimming around the sea)

Anyway, keep up the great work, can't wait for you to release!

31. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

The separation of marine from freshwater can be done in the asset folders no need to split up this wonderful pack.

32. janpec

janpec

I have decided not to split pack, i am working on putting files together and organising it a bit, becouse it is quite messy. Thank you all for answering poll, it will surely have impact on final price.

33. pkid

pkid

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to make this pack?

34. Zogg

Zogg

Wow ! This looks amazing !

35. janpec

janpec

It took actually arround 6-8 months, but it was mostly made durring spare time that i had.

36. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

HOLY CHRIST!! You're a machine!!! You must have a great workflow, to pull this off!

37. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

Any news on a price/release yet?

38. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

really really great work....as always ;)

39. janpec

janpec

WiseOwl pack will be submited to asset store in two or three days.

Also three fish species (barracuda, giant sea bass, purplefish) have been added to pack, which i accidentally forgot. Almost 100 animals in total, but with secondary materials in some species you are able to pull off almost 120 animals.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  40. pkid

pkid

Sounds great. have you decided on price yet?

41. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Personally I think this is worth $100 but that's just me! You can always change the price as you go!

And by worth I mean what I think most people would pay! I think it's worth a lot more!

42. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Yes it worth a lot but the question is would you rather have a higher volume of sales with a lower price or a higher price with less customers.
    I say this because not every one can afford packs of 100 dollar each, and this seem to be a trend on the unity store, personally I would go with a lower price and make the profit by selling more quantiy. :) or put it one sale on release date and then put the price up after one week! and then one sale again when sales start to drop too much.

43. redcap_old

redcap_old

You could sell the whole package together for $150, and then sell each individual asset for $10. Just a thought. :)

44. janpec

janpec

Lars good point, i have been thinking the same. Pretty much all i want is to give as much people as possible option to use it, which means that i have considered this when putting the final price. Price for pack will be 69 dollars, i couldnt go lower becouse it was too much work to sell it cheaper, and animation quallity does not allow higher price, thats why i think 69 dollars seems quite in ballance.

45. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

I think it's very much worth $69, but I also want to second the idea that the pack could be split up.
    Maybe split it into 4 parts, $25 apiece? Just a thought.

46. janpec

janpec

Sorry, i have decided not to separate pack, i hope you still find interest in it.

47. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Well, I looked back over your fish...all of them...and wanted to slap myself. You've got a wonderful group of fish...heck, not to mention cool stuff like the dinosaurs and underwater props. Kudos to you for such good work, I don't blame you at all for selling it as one pack.

48. jashan

jashan

In general, you also need to consider that more customers means more support, and that's something usually no one pays for. Besides, it sometimes seems like, ironically, people paying less for a product have higher expectations (and create more support noise). But that may be more relevant for scripting assets than for 3d assets.

IMHO, in this case, something else might play a much bigger role: Not everyone needs or wants fish ;-) ... and those that want or need a high quality Sea life pack will probably pay a good price.

Personally, I don't care that much whether it's $50 or $100 or $150 - it lacks dolphins to be complete, and that's the problem for me (I'll still consider buying it when I need an underwater world) ... but may dolphins are too complex to animate? In any case, just wanted to mention once more that I'm highly interested in quality dolphin models ;-)

That's certainly a good approach!

49. orb

orb

I like everything in this pack, but think that some might not be all that great for the average audience. Some might just want a little pack of fish for their tropical paradise, which I think would sell more than a collection of large beasts. Maybe do smaller packs by size or how exotic the creatures are, and as an incentive to buy all do a bundle at a lower total price. I'd try small, large and extinct/fantasy in three packs.

Combine that with what Lars suggested - increase the price slightly as the package(s) grow(s). Early adopter pricing has worked well for many companies. I'm sure an Earth bundle would also sell once you're done creating every beast there is :)

50. janpec

janpec

@jashan I will try to find some time in future to make dolphin too. Sadly three different dolphin species were already made, but got lost with disk format becouse i forgot to put them on external hard drive.