Search Unity

[WIP] Elemental World

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by wiseowlstudios, Jan 29, 2012.

1. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

This thread is mostly just showing my progress on my mmo it entering alpha soon and will have a video showing online soon but until then here some images links and pics

The full name of the game is Elemental World:part 1 Rise Of The Guardians TM

When the game is fully complete it will have game play and themes of every type done in a nice way so it don't look like poop and will hopefully steal players from big names.

I'm doing the freemium game play so the game will run on donations and sales from shop+item mall the shop will sell all sorts like pets potions materials blueprints spells etc

$ps1.jpg $ps2.png $ps3.png $EW1.jpg

I have set up a donate thing its like kick starter on no time limit and they take less cut from me if i get enough support rewards for everyone http://www.gofundme.com/Wise-owl-studios

And for those interested my game is a RPG where people can do anything they want eventually and look how they want. It will cover all styles of game play and looks and have many side features and customising.

Some examples are if you want to be a trader/smuggler you can as it will have player owned shops and npc player shops so there not so many afk sellers covering the area.
    For those that want to relax and explore there is many options to choose like hunt collectables including photo taking,coin collecting and other hobby's like treasure hunting and puzzles.
    For those inclined to combat there will be PvP,guilds and other features the game will eventually hold large scale wars so players can make npc army's (air land sea space etc) and have large battles and when space made even conquer planets.
    For those into story's and crafting there will be many mini story's and quests and a fully customisable game play where one sword might be poor quality but your next one is great or has been modified.

I am planning on mixing game play and styles smoothly so only advanced players can have high tech stuff since it would be odd if a lev 1 had a plasma cannon in an environment that is mostly medieval towns will evolve to higher stages and each will have a theme like dwarfs and some humans are steam punk while elfs could be more high tech/scientific

There is 3 base classes that evolve into more advanced classes like sniper,assassin and necromancer but if you decide you are fed up being class xyz you can change for a in game fee.
    The magic,combat and craft/hobby systems will work on a many level system some examples are:
    Magic: You often use the fire spray spell so you will get small exp in fire magic/magic but you also get exp for fire spray so it can level up to level 2 etc which does more damage,better accuracy etc (each spell will have a needed level or stat requirement to level).

Combat: You use (s)battleaxe and use it a lot you gain combat exp,exp for that weapon branch,player exp(if kill monster) and exp for that axe and each level it can be made sharper (damage) or gain accuracy etc

Skills: You cook a tuna you gain exp in cooking tuna,fish cooking exp/cooking exp and if you level tuna up you have a better chance of success and may gain perks like gain more hp,more of the item etc

All of the skills and items can level improving them in some way and for craft if you fail at refining etc you will get a lot less exp

There will also be recycling in game where you can get your junk swords,scrap metal and stuff and melt them down or put in a community place where others can pick it up an example is you have just got a shiny lev 5 sword and no longer need your level 1 sword so you put it in the community bin and guy (or girl) thinks I could use that and pick it up for free

Most of these features are awaiting the funding to make them but I plan on making many ways of playing available asap and have a game for everyone.

Looking for some donations to get my game finished to basics minimum
    Here the link http://igg.me/p/73485?a=173457 take a look
    Demo here:
    Mac http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60715880/Elemental World demo 0.1a mac.zip

Windows http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60715880/Elemental World demo 0.1a windows.zip

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  2. Duskling

Duskling

This looks good, But can I ask why everyone who wants to make an mmo does the entire world and graphics first. I mean, gameplay is the core. People arent going to play the game if you have a nice looking world but a terrible core. It's just more productive to get things working first.

3. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

right now most core features i made/have made don't work on multiplayer/using spawners so im just waiting on my freelance guy till chat,friends list inventory etc is made the other update videos show some features when not using spawner but it was buggy slightly
    According to freelancer the chat and bits should be done in next week

here is the vid showing core gameplay before multiplayer tweeks

4. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Your game should basically work with basic placeholder geometry and then go into the art. I got my game going with cubes and cylinders to make a proof of concept. From there you can build up with art, but doing art before programming or any features is premature and leads to a lot of unfinished or barely started projects.

Texture on the mountains needs to be substantially more tiled, the texture is so large is makes the mountain look like a little rock

5. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Realy he can do it in any way he wants, there is no way set in stone to do things.

6. Duskling

Duskling

Of course not.

But t was just a tip on how to be a bit more Productive, that's all.

7. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

There's something to be said for various methods of doing things...whichever is most comfortable for him is probably best. It is standard practice in studios to "blue box" stuff first and use basic primitives to block out levels and characters, etc. First you would ideally work out game play, level design, goals, and even some UI stuff. I find myself setting up artwork that would be pretty representatvie of the end art, especially on the iOS mobile stuff. I want to know how well any given frame is handling the amount of polygons, textures, etc. and even handling of drawing the UI over the world from a very early point.

8. ludiares

ludiares

One thing that could improve a lot the quality of the game and the sense of depth is adding some fog., It adds lot of realism for almost no rendering cost

9. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

i plan on using my weather system for fog so rain decreases view distance and sunny reduces fog to little/none as players will eventually have binoculars/telescopes and stuff so they can plan attacks

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  10. fholm

fholm

Starting an MMO with the graphics and then doing the networking? talk about backwards, you're going to have to redo every single piece of geometry pretty much except the basic terrain. But good luck.

11. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

the only in game things currently is a few models/trees and a character controller im having most features remade as they was very basic or buggy

12. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

updated top info

And it may seem crazy stupid or confusing but it my game and im going to try for a game everyone can enjoy

When the features are made videos will be made hopefully showing them and explained better

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  13. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

Update 3 showing the new movement and camera

14. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

Networks being added tonight hopefully but hit bump but if i can get around it alphas start in next day or two

15. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

Here is some of the lore and legends that will be in the game (im planning on a book thing like skyrim only there collectable)

16. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

Bump i started a indiegogo campaign a few mins ago
    http://igg.me/p/73485?a=173457

it also has download links to single player demo (walk around and tiny bit of combat)

edit:For those that dont know indiegogo is like kickstarter only dont need a us bank account.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  17. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

Bump
    Looking for some donations to get my game finished to basics minimum
    Here the link http://igg.me/p/73485?a=173457 take a look
    Demo here:
    Mac http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60715880/Elemental World demo 0.1a mac.zip

Windows http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60715880/Elemental World demo 0.1a windows.zip

Downloads only as 3.5beta don't seem to allow webplayer
    If I can raise enough I should have a solid online RPG in the next few weeks depending how soon I raise the money

some feedback from those who play would be good

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  18. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

Some more images $Tank_Flat.jpg $variations.png

19. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I know of engineering optimism being a professional software developer... but this is extreme...

Solid would indicate a much more complete game than what your vids show... Game dev of the MMO scale takes years... not months. not weeks. years. Even if you have a dedicated team working full time.

The images you posted at the bottom there... What sort of MMO game is this going to be? I assumed medieval'ish based on original videos, but then you post a pic of a hover car/space ship thing.

20. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

Its going to cover all ages and game play styles eventually where low levels use basic stuff like axes and bows then upgrade to crossbows gun etc depending the route they go.The game is going to eventually be one with little limits that attracts all players
    And im adding a pack which has a basic but solid online RPG system and i have been working on this bit over a year now but low progress as crashes,lack of funds and help.
    and MMO just means massively multi-player which can be any number above 50 which I have which counts as tiny compared to big budget games.
    Also most systems would be in the video or demo's but there ether buggy or need network which my networker not provided and done runner with money

I meant solid as in it covers the minimum for an rpg and online and works

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  21. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I still dont understand the game play, the progression, the attraction.. do you have a GDD? Feel free to send it to me. Dont worry I have zero interest in creating an MMO or stealing ideas.. I will offer you some thought on your ideas. Totally up to you of course. Theres nothing in it for me.

Sounds like youre still years off any kind of solid release. Remember... if you release too early (buggy, not enough content, lack of game balance, etc), your game will die before it has even had a chance.

22. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

I will pm you with some the ideas i have for the game as the gdd is currently a pile of notes

23. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I think you should take some time to construct one so you have a definitive idea of what you are trying to acheive. I think a MMO needs one and anyone serious about creating an MMO will have one. It might help you with direction as well.

24. Meltdown

Meltdown

+1

How is combat going to work? Will it be target based, or realtime hit based?

25. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

both because of the different styles some areas will be turn based some real-time and some standard attack with cool-down

but there will be set play zones so it not a horrible mix like this arena/game in FPS real time combat

26. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

In all honesty, you can mix ideas like that on an MMO.

It makes absolutely no sense.

27. FusionGames

FusionGames

+1...Fixed that for you :)

First of all, trying to combine all those concepts will be as much work as making an MMO for each era, modern, ancient, medieval, etc. Second of all, as jlcnz said, it makes absolutely no sense. Third, I don't think anybody will want to play it. You can't please everyone, if people want to play a fantasy game, they'll play a fantasy game, not a fantasy/modern/medieval/FPS/RTS/MMO hybrid. I think that if you try to succeed at pleasing everyone you will just fail and annoy everyone, and nobody will play.

Oh, and what happens if somebody from say, an FPS area glitches out and accidentally (or on purpose) gets into the turn-based area? He could mercilessly slaughter every turn-based player in the area. Major problems ensue...

Not trying to troll, just suggesting that maybe you should re-think your project a bit :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  28. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

right now i'm only going for the rpg then if the game kicks off and i can afford staff bigger servers etc it will then get expansions like fps new features etc and fps etc would be in a separate level/dungeon so shouldn't be a problem of a bug of killing all players lol
    As told in the lore most future tech is undiscovered space and flight don't get discovered properly until like stage/part 3+ so it will tend to stick to medieval/ steam-punk stuff to start
    Also i dont mind hard work this is a life goal lol

29. FusionGames

FusionGames

Well at least you seem to be taking the work on in bite-sized pieces...however large the bites may be. Also good to see that you have a plan to prevent players from mercilessly killing everyone...similar things have happened in other MMOs and believe me...they were not pretty. Looks like you've got a lot of work ahead of you...good luck :) The terrains are pretty impressive btw. :)

30. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

Im crazy like that since i want to make something huge before i die lol :D and thanks they need a lot of work though but for my first game its turning out well lol

31. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

Update here is the Triforce tank in game available to pre order it will be in the item mall powered by cogs and magic(currently) all sales aid development and its only partly finished still need add particles animation and sound but will come in later update
    It is a in game mount/weapon.

At later stages it will have better skins and effects but i'm still learning particles and skins/paint decals will be so it has a more of a range eg look like rusty or scifi

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  32. Wolfos

Wolfos

You're in a far too early stage to think about pre-order bonuses right now. Start focussing on the game! Nothing about this even sounds remotely fun and I'm 99% sure you are not going to finish this project.

Basically, you're doing the same what this guy is doing, just not as badly:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/120873716/your-world

His idea:
    -World of Warcraft
    -Some minor changes

Game design doesn't work that way, you'll need a very solid foundation before even thinking about these minor changes.

Proper process:
    -Solid idea for original gameplay
    -Lots of work, assets get made, game becomes game
    -Lots of testing
    -Now we make minor changes

33. kondrup

kondrup

Solid idea, solid concept.. and great artwork, I don't see any reason why this project should not become a huge success within a very short amount of time. I would probably add some more models that people could buy in the game, before adding things like core gameplay and other non important stuff. Could you add a dragon maybe? -people love dragons!

34. Wolfos

Wolfos

On logo design: That's horrible. You need something that's simple.
    This simple: 

35. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

I would get new logos and everything but cant afford it yet
    Also im focusing on getting a working online rpg game then as i get the players and income (sponsors donors or whatever means) add advanced features

Also i am thinking pet/mounts of dragons,snakes,sea creatures and other minor bits (i have 3dfoins dragon and models and when have the cash the sea creatures pack by janpac http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/121410-Sea-life-pack)

And thanks for the support. im trying to get some gameplay and models by with next to no money and no help its slow

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  36. Wolfos

Wolfos

Advanced features such as actual gameplay? Kondrup was being sarcastic...

37. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

it will be getting gameplay once i have the money and debug some stuff advanced will be stuff like trade and better systems like capture

38. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

Update basic network and features added here a video:

It is only a base and many changes and fixes are needed to make it more mine

here is what the player select looks like roughly with my changes so far (in video i was using the unedited script):
    $417708_315462385175781_156656517723036_827833_1829927727_n.jpg

39. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

Update: New game logo $riseOfTheGuardians.png