Search Unity

Is Unity3D going to handle native Windows Metro / Windows 8 and Windows Phone / Tab?

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by mlyons, Jan 28, 2012.

1. mlyons

mlyons

Interesting this as the only coding platform that truly runs everywhere automatically is the browser, here's a great example of cross platform brilliant touch and gesture / drag enabled slider UI controls in jQuery - http://dimsemenov.com/plugins/royal-slider/

Somehow we have to convince the Unity guys to help us harness the power of HTML into Unity.

2. Ostwind

Ostwind

For Windows Phone they already said no because its not realistically possible to do cause Microsoft has blocked use of all native stuff meaning rewrite of lots of things, no mono for scripting/coding etc. I guess same goes for Window 8 Metro apps until Microsoft will improve or alllow such thing in theis system (if ever)

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/15/unity-skipping-windows-phone-7/

http://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-app-platform/suggestions/1755203-native-sdk

BTW why are you trying to make Unity to do Web/HTML related stuff in almost every thread you create? They already have web plugin and just added Flash and you still want more and more.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  3. mlyons

mlyons

Just because jQuery the browser and HTML UI are by far the best and most cross platform UI the world will ever see I suppose.

4. tripknotix

tripknotix

Windows Phone 7 has been working with a few companies to get native access ostwind, but they are basically building a system that is optimized for #1 Games, #2 Performance, #3 less prone to virus infections

so they are only letting a few companies work with them on the native access part.

as far as i know, All Versions of windows 8 will include an option to turn OFF metro, including Windows 8 Arm tablets. So unity will work only on windows 8, and as far Windows Phone, i have heard of Microsoft using Unity to talk to XNA. so since it might be possible, especially since XNA games can work on Xbox live arcade , just like Unity. so its not THAT far off to say that games might be developed in unity for windows phone, Unity will have to grow larger first.

5. Cameron_SM

Cameron_SM

Come on man, this is getting a bit silly. If you really want those features use the unity feedback system and allocate all of your votes for it. Or, if HTML can do everything you want, then why are you wasting time here, just use pure HTML, Javascript and WebGL, or perhaps switch to using a game engine that already outputs to those formats. There are lost of better ways to go about this than re-creating threads about the same thing every couple of days, please make use of them.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Voting is meaningless, it has to be a business decision for unity.

1. if unity themselves determine it is a viable market (it isn't really right now tbh, its a union/niche thing imho)
    2. if unity open communications with microsoft (easily done, they did with apple)

Then we will see it. I'm quite certain we'll see unity supported on it if the above 2 conditions are true :)

Remember the unity votes system does not mean you will get to see that feature. It merely means unity can see how many people are interested in that feature. For example nearly everyone would probably be interested in nintendo 3ds support via homebrew carts, but it's neither practical, or legal.

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

1. Its not even a niche thing, its not possible to target html5 for gaming in 3d engine world. There is no 3d support at all, audio is non existant either (requires a flash player for audio, will not run on metro8 nor on ios in consequence and sucks like hell on android too), ... you could fill that list for a good page to sum up on why html5 is not even realistically usable for 2d gaming but totally 'weedclass unrealistic' for 3d gaming

8. mlyons

mlyons

HTML5 Audio tag seems ok to me?

But I better not disagree too much in the forum that is meant to be about expressing views on the preview release and it's functionality / missing functionality or I might get complained about, locked and banned like the bad boy that I am - I deserved to be punished, punish me you know I like it.

9. Ostwind

Ostwind

No such browser exists running on all platforms equally featured unless you make your own which would be crazy if UT would start working full featured browser next to Unity itself? How big teams there are working on IE, Safari, FF? You cant really mix existing browser engines to 3D and keep crossplatform app deploy running well.

I know, Spotify is one that Microsoft was 'forced' or agreed to accept as native but theres no point if only big names get in. If I understood it correctly the upcoming Windows 8 market only accepts Metro apps there meaning no Unity. Sure you can buy and run the other ways but you will be missing one user friendly store.

10. mlyons

mlyons

Not sure what you're saying in the first sentence here Ostwind, I can give you 100% assurance that on Safari, Chrome, Opera and Firefox latest versions there is virtually no difference in the HTML / Javascript / jQuery rendering in the latest versions of their browsers and actually I found no difference in the rendering of the WEBGL samples. IE is getting better IE10 I've been trying lately and comparing to the others is much closer but as usual MS lag the field.

I'm not the only one in the world that thinks HTML / Javascript is cross platform - surely no one can seriously think that?

Can everyone forget for a second about becoming a billionaire from writing computer games and think about what would it take to make the best cross platform development environment for mixed 3D and 2D GUI in the world?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  11. Dominik D

Dominik D

Polyphony is extremely limited with it and most implementations are buggy and laggy. It'll get there, but right now it's not usable for most serious uses.

On the initial topic though: it's been rumored (e.g. here) that Windows Phone 8 will enable native applications. So it's probably a matter of development priorities (which depend on WP marketshare and a whole list of other things) for Unity to become available for Windows Phone devices.

12. fanjules

fanjules

It's interesting you say "we" need to convince the Unity guys, since I don't ever see your threads getting any support from other users!

The irony here is that the more threads you create the less likely it is the Unity devs will bother with WebGL when they see how little support you have.

Please stop spamming all the different forum rooms every couple of days. In fact the only reason I ended up in this thread was because I thought it contained sensible discussion about Unity3d on Metro, but then I quickly realised it was the usual idiot with his propaganda.

13. C4MProdDev

C4MProdDev

I don't think we need to talk about HTML if we are talking about Metro application.
    A metro can be made in HTML5/Javascript but also in C,C++/XAML and C#/XAML.

And the most interesting part, metro game are pure C++ and DirectX 11.

I don't see any reason to not port Unity on it if it's not already done.

Windows phone 7 is an other story as it's support only C# with XNA and/or silverlight application.
    But a lot of rumor are talking about native access for every developer very soon or windows phone 8 being based on Windows 8 (game in C++/DirectX11 so).

So for windows phone, we need to wait for future update to be able to see Unity for it.

But for windows 8... The public beta is at the end of this month so please Unity Team, make Unity on it to make Metro Game...

14. Yharooer

Yharooer