Search Unity

Video of Play

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ctsteve123, Jul 21, 2008.

1. ctsteve123

ctsteve123

What is the best way to make a video of playing a Unity Game.

2. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

3. ctsteve123

ctsteve123

Thanks for the suggestion of Screenflow. It looks to be a very powerful application and more than capable.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

5. olin

olin

6. Dakta

Dakta

I have SnapzProX, and it works great! I don't know about Screen Flow, but this one works fine for me. Many options for video, stills, full screen HD, etc. I love it!

7. Dakta

Dakta

I also have iShowU, a more heavy duty app, with more capture options. I think that it is better for something like what you're doing. It has even more options, and works astonishingly well.

http://www.shinywhitebox.com

8. Dakta

Dakta

iShowU can also do 1080p HD. Pretty much any frame rate, up to 40 FPS. Better than SnapzProX. While SnapzProX takes over the standard Command-Shift-3 screen capture command, iShowU has to be run as an application.

9. Dakta

Dakta

Also, SnapzProX allows you to manipulate the recording area down to the pixel with dragging, and a magnifier.

10. jashan

jashan

This is a cool thread - thanks for opening it, and thanks for the cool pointers!

I'm currently having a look at Screenflow, SnapzProX and iShowU. My first impression (also from the Websites) is that Screenflow is the most professional of those three, followed by iShowU and SnapzProX more being "a little, helpful and powerful utility". Keep that in mind that this is really a "subjective quick first impression without going deeply into those tools":

With ScreenFlow and iShowU, I was immediately able to create high quality screen captures, ScreenFlow being even more intuitive and quick to grasp. With SnapzProX I got kind of lost (but I think if you take 5 to 10 minutes, you'll be fine ;-) ).

What I like about ScreenFlow is that it also allows you to capture mouse clicks and key presses. Not sure if that's also possible with the other two. However, it seems I can't customize the way these are shown. The cursor keys are nicely visible, but other keys don't really show that well. Is there a way to customize this somehow?

That would be great! Then ScreenFlow would be absolutely perfect for me, even though I like the additional configuration options in iShowU and SnapzProX (this is something I feel lacks a little bit in ScreenFlow - which on the other hand can be a plus since it simplifies the workflow somewhat)... With ScreenFlow, it's like you immediately want to create tutorials (don't quote me on that, though - I "want" to do a lot of things but need to finish my game, first) ;-)

As ScreenFlow also supports voice-overs and capturing from a Web-Cam, I think this could also be used very efficiently for beta-testing games (if the beta-testers make a "WTF!?!?-face", you know you need to change something ;-) ). It's quite nice to have a way of seeing where the mouse is, and also seeing approximately what someone is looking at.

It's also kind of funny to watch yourself while playing (at least, if you have humor and don't worry too much about looking really stupid ;-) )...

I guess the best thing, however, is really to check out at least all three of those (I haven't had a look at Jing, yet, since I'm not really interested in the online sharing feature; but maybe I'll have a look at that later...)

On the other hand, for capturing an "in-game movie": What about using Unity itself for capturing the output? With Time.captureFramerate and Application.CaptureScreenshot you'd probably get the best endresult and greatest flexibility.

Just looked at the Wiki, and it seems this is actually not that hard to set up:

http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=ScreenShotMovie

You'll need another application to make a movie from the screenshots, though...

Sunny regards,
    Jashan

11. Dakta

Dakta

I would advise that you use Mouse Pose (http://www.boinx.com/mousepose/overview/) to capture the key presses, mouse clicks, etc. I also agree that SnapzProX is a well thought out utility, but is just a simple set of extra commands for capturing screen shots. I also agree that iShowU takes more time to learn, but it has a lot of good features, and I think is cheaper than ScreenFlow. I would advise you get Screen Flow and Mouse Pose. I have their iStopmotion, and it is awesome! Mouse Pose will allow you to visualize mouse clicks and key strokes. It also allows you to highlight the mouse, making it easy to locate onscreen. It also allows you to customize how mouse clicks and key strokes are shown, and which are shown, so you don't always see the arrow keys when you're walking around, or repetitive mouse clicks while firing a gun. I will have to get both of those pieces of software myself! Good luck with the game!

P.S. Can I become a beta tester?

12. jashan

jashan

You mean by switching it on/off as needed? Some sort of automatic filtering would be nice, even though I guess I could live with capturing all key strokes.

I think the ways in which the visual appearance of the keys can be customized is somewhat limited, though. Like, it would be nice to be able to move that bar to another location, and maybe make it smaller. Or, instead of a bar, have the keys "come in" like the cursor keys in ScreenFlow (at any location on screen).

Only if you promise me to send me those captures with Webcam ;-)

Seriously, though - you can join at http://www.ramtiga.com - and I can add you to the group of beta-testers as soon as there is the next version available (which will probably be V1.0, so it may still take a few weeks). With the current version V0.88, it seems as if the server is broken - which is unfortunate... but it doesn't make sense to fix that as the version is already quite outdated ;-)

Sunny regards,
    Jashan

13. Dakta

Dakta

Hmm... But where on the website do I apply?

14. Sbd

Sbd

Edit: nevermind, didn't see one of the posts ;)

15. jashan

jashan

Top right corner of the page: There's "Join!", "Login" and a search. When you "Join!" you get to the registration (which is for now, to the beta-test)... or, in the text of the first page:

16. Dakta

Dakta

Hmm... I MUST be blind!