Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Interactive Fiction in Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MrDutch, Jan 25, 2012.

1. MrDutch

MrDutch

I'm brand new to the forums so a big hello to everybody,

I have just begun working on an interactive adventure in Unity. It is the styled on the "choose-your-own-adventure" books and I would like to include multiple choices in each scene (not too many or the game will be huge). The models have been made, but the coding has not started yet. My initial thought was that text could appear telling the user the story and then two options would become visible. The user would then make their choice before seeing the consequences and moving to the next scene. I am here asking anyone who has created interactive fiction (be it a story book, point-and-click, etc.) if they could post here and discuss what problems and other things they encountered, also, if anyone has made something similar to what I have in mind.

Thank you.

2. MichaelSchenck

MichaelSchenck

There is a guy here in Boston who did a demonstration of an interactive story authoring system in Unity at a BUG meeting last year. His name is Jonathon Myers and his website is http://www.jonathonmyers.com/game-development.html which should give you some more info about him and the system. I am sure you could email him about his authoring system. Also you could post on the BUG facebook page, I know I have seen other bios in the meeting attendance that have been interested in interactive fiction. I also enjoy interactive fiction, but my project is only going to have some interactive fiction flavoring at best. I have a post on my blog about Jason Scott's GET LAMP documentary if you have not seen it - excellent stuff for the IF lover. Good luck!