Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Tidy Tile Mapper: Paint tile-maps from the Editor [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JFFM, Jan 21, 2012.

1. JFFM

JFFM

Hello Everybody,

After much joy and hardship - Tidy Tile Mapper is now available on the Asset Store! :D

Tidy Tile Mapper is an editor extension that allows you to create and manage tilesets (blocksets) and paint tiled levels in an intuitive manner. Think... Alex Kidd, Wonder Boy and Mario Bros.

Current Version: 1.2.2.5
    Price: $65
    Asset Store Location: Tidy Tile Mapper - Unity Asset Store
    The Asset Store package includes a full blockset to get everybody started deliciously.

Our Tools blog has a growing amount of documentation and tutorial information - located here:
    http://tools.dopplerinteractive.com

Version History:

V1.0: Initial Release!
    V1.1: Addition of "Soft Selection Block Move" function.
    V1.1.1: Fixed a few bugs - notably with the publishing of a map and its retention of colliders.
    V1.2: Addition of "Layer" system - go mad in three dimensions. Also: Fixed a lot of issues with functionality in Unity 3.5 and corrected some minor orientation issues.
    V1.2.2: Addition of "Draw Path" tool. Addition of "Plugin" system. Also: Fixed some block creation issues in 3.5
    V1.2.2.5: Addition of "Delete Chunk" tool. Addition of "Negative tileset" function. Addition of "Stripping Level" dropdown for published maps.
    V1.3: Addition of initial Runtime API (documentation available here: Runtime API)

I hope you enjoy the video!

-JFFM

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  2. Diegoale2000

Diegoale2000

That is SO unbelievably sexy!
    Great job!

3. p6r

p6r

Hey JFFM...
    Very easy and funny to use your Mapper ! I like it !
    Great work !!!

To add my own 3D objects, what is the best default 3D size to/when create them ?

Will you add other textured blocks, items in next releases ?

6R

4. JFFM

JFFM

You can use any size you like (I used 1x1 by default) and set the tile size in the advanced options when you create a new map.

Definitely! :D I'm glad you ask that, actually - I've been unsure as to what direction to take further development. I'm thinking of continuing to release block-sets, and also game elements (character controllers, enemy AI with pathfinding).

Thanks everybody for the kind words!

-JFFM

5. iisjreg

iisjreg

I really really like it, but I would suggest not spending time including pathfinding and controllers, because the focus of this seems to be level creation. I am think of purchasing this and, personally, would like more development on the block moving (as shown in the "terrain" generation).

Well done for what you do have, though! Sterling effort.

6. mgrenier

mgrenier

Great timing!

Today I was thinking about an old project I had last year. I was looking at an old experiment of mine with "Tile Maker" within Unity3D.

Are you planning on adding support for "layers" (background / foreground) ?

I would like to see the workflow on how to add custom tiles in your Block Editor (screens or bullet-point steps).

Nice job!

7. p6r

p6r

For me it's very annoying and long to build an entire level (background) for a game...
    It's why your mapper is great and clever !
    All extensions which allow me don't to waste time are fantastic !

And yes, block-sets and items are a very good direction...

iisjreg is right : level creation is the objective of your extension.
    Even if it's a good idea too to add AI, pathfinding and so on... to have a complete plugin !!!

Yes... Like mgrenier I would like to see videos to add custom blocks too...

6R

8. pixellegolas

pixellegolas

9. JFFM

JFFM

Good question! This is something I've been thinking very hard about. It's definitely in the works, once I can concoct a nice-feeling way to implement it.

Tutorial videos are on the way! And I'll use text so you don't have to rely on my voice speaking at a billion words a minute ;)

Again, thanks for all of your kind words guys - the response we're getting for Tidy Tile Mapper has been really encouraging.

-JFFM

10. p6r

p6r

I have made a video showing how to easily build a Tennis court in Unity3D using Tidy Tile Mapper...
    I have created my blocks and my textures (blue or grass) and I just have to paint the court with the right blocks for the lines, the corners, and so on...

6R

11. JFFM

JFFM

What a crazy feeling to see people using something you've made! Thanks p6r :D

I've put together a tutorial video for using the Block Editor within Tidy TileMapper - available at tools.dopplerinteractive.com or by watching it right here:

Enjoy!

-JFFM

12. p6r

p6r

You're welcome ! It's a pleasure to use clever plugins...

Nice tutorial JFFM ! (Thanks for your efforts to speak slowly for non-english speakers !) :)
    I have learned 2 important things there :
    * We can use planes too ! (I wanted to use cubes with transparent shader but planes are better for some projects ! For example my Tennis court doesn't need to be 3D !)
    * The white squares are the "empty blocks" around the red one ! I thought the grey ones are "empty"...

6R

13. p6r

p6r

14. omgitsalexl

omgitsalexl

@JFFM
    Tidy Tile Mapper looks like an absolutely fantastic tool, thank you for putting your time into building this asset! I too am curious on the ability to add layers, and just curious if you had any rough timeline in which this feature would be implemented? I can very easily see myself purchasing Tidy Tile Mapper in the very near future, keep up the great work!

15. b3y0nd3r

b3y0nd3r

hey,

It looks great this asset, very promising. I have a question, how about the work at scripting? I mean, I would use the Asset not for manually make the levels, but rather let my engine to procedurally create them. Do you think this Asset would fit into this approach?

Thanks!!!

16. Murcho

Murcho

@JFFM
    I picked up the tile mapper today and I'm loving the editing, but every time I press play a bunch of the tiles will become inactive. Their GameObject disables, but the collider still works, so it's like a bunch on invisible blocks to run and jump on.

I'm not sure if you're competing in the Sydney GameJam this weekend. If you are I'm in the Admin area! Come give me a hand!

If not, any ideas on what it could be? I'm running the Public beta of 3.5, and running on OS X 10.6.6

- James

17. orb

orb

This would be great to have. I have some games in mind where using the editor's features as game mechanics would be useful :)

18. JFFM

JFFM

Hi James,

I was indeed jamming! But I was in Wollongong. Odd tile behaviour indeed! I'll do some testing with 3.5 and get back to you post-haste.
    Are these issues occurring with the default tiles or custom tiles?

-JFFM

19. JFFM

JFFM

Good question! I'll likely start work on this on Tuesday (Monday will be "Recover from GameJam day") and I anticipate it will be finished and polished up by next Monday.

I think it'll be a great feature if I can design a nice, visually-friendly way to implement it.

-JFFM

20. JFFM

JFFM

What a coincidence! I've been working on a few automated level-building functions for Tidy TileMapper, it is/would be perfect for this type of thing - all of the classes (while inside a DLL) are fully program-accessible and such.

Once I've finished an example I'll put a blog-post up. That should satisfy the procedural-builders in the audience :D

-JFFM

21. JFFM

JFFM

And that completes my update!

Sorry for the delay everybody, I was Game Jamming this weekend (we won Best Audio!) and the forums weren't accessible for me on Friday for some reason.

I update this thread every morning, so don't hesitate to leave any questions you like.

-JFFM

22. iisjreg

iisjreg

Can you create planes in different orientation in one scene? e.g create all six sides of a cube. I guess this functionality would come with the layers update?
    Thanks.

23. orb

orb

That's really the push I need to make this one of my two next add-on purchases. Just a little broke after buying Unity, but I'll manage somehow :)

24. JFFM

JFFM

Hi Everybody,

I've had a big old test of the Unity 3.5 Beta with Tidy Tile Mapper - and there are just too many inconsistencies in the manner in which the Beta is currently functioning to reliably support Tidy Tile Mapper until the Beta becomes a little more stable.

My apologies to the few of you using the Beta to develop - as we near the date I will make all of the changes required, but at present the issues are too numerous and clearly buggy.

For your curiousity, here's a beautiful bug that came up today (This is the cause of @Murcho 's issues):

1) We have scripts with values set programmatically in the Editor (e.g: x = 1, y = 2)
    2) We press 'Play'
    3) We GameObject.Destroy() a few objects beneath the object in 1 in the hierarchy
    4) We press 'Stop'
    4.5) Now, classically, Unity will just revert all of our changes back to whatever it was before pressing Play, right?
    5) No. Our objects are back in the right order, but now our values are completely incorrect. All messed up. x = 10 y = 3 or such.

I've sent some queries off to Unity about this, so rest easy.

Final Summary:

Rest easy, friends! I will indeed continue to support Tidy TileMapper in the caring and near-obsessive way that I have thus far, but until the Beta is stabilised, I won't be making any changes to Tidy TileMapper that may negatively impact on its performance in Release.

-JFFM

25. Murcho

Murcho

Thanks for looking into this JFFM, and congrats on your win at GGJ Woolongong!

I was judging at the Sydney one, and helping out as an enforcer during the event. Very tired now (had a couple of graveyard shifts).

26. JFFM

JFFM

Game Jamming was almost like... a spiritual experience. Like starving yourself and squatting in a thorn-bush (a'la Siddhartha).

I've got profound respect for everybody involved with it.

This was our first Game Jam - and once I finish this collection of beer I have set aside for recovery, I'll be ready for another :D

I'll likely see you at the Powerhouse presentation?

Tweet me when you're there!

-JFFM

27. JFFM

JFFM

Hello again my friends:

Just a quick little celebratory note (and implicit testament to my obsession for solving stubborn problems) : I've solved our good friend @Murcho's 3.5 Beta problem, and am currently uploading a new 3.5 Beta-friendly version of Tidy TileMapper to the Asset Store.

Oh my friends, I had faith! My love for Unity wavered but held strong.

It will see us through our trials and tribulations, and into the promised land.

-JFFM

28. Joshua.Niland

Joshua.Niland

Great work on the tool. As soon as I saw it I had to buy it ;-)

Please add some guns...yeah lots of guns...and a coffee maker.

29. JFFM

JFFM

Ah this has been a popular request.

But then I'm stuck:

Stovetop espresso?
    Counter-top espresso?
    Maybe one of those glass vaccuum coffee makers?

Development is hard! :D

-JFFM

30. Murcho

Murcho

Thanks for the quick turnaround on that. I'll hopefully get some time to muck around with it tonight.

See you at the Powerhouse on Saturday!

31. vdek

vdek

Just the other day here I was thinking it would be really nice if there was a tile editor for Unity. This thing looks like it rocks, definitely going to be purchasing it and using it :)

32. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Just bought it and start playing with it.

+1 for layer system

33. Murcho

Murcho

@JFFM - I've updated to the 1.1.4 version, and I'm still getting some odd behaviour in 3.5 beta.
    Some of the chunks work fine when I go to paint into them, but some do one of two behaviours :
    1. They don't do anything to the actual chunk, and instead place empty blocks in the same position randomly in the scene
    2. They paint the correct pattern but into a different chunk.

I've tried completely removing and adding the pack, and starting new maps a few times as well. Is there some way I can get bug reports/test scenes to you?

34. rstehwien

rstehwien

This app looks great and what I've been wanting.... will buy ASAP.

How is the performance on mobile?

35. JFFM

JFFM

Hi Murcho,

I'm releasing a new update that should fix everything this week, once I've finished testing.

But definitely - any bug reports or test scenes I'd love to see - you can send them through to support@dopplerinteractive.com

-JFFM

36. JFFM

JFFM

Hi rstehwien,

Performance on mobile is fine thus far (I've built a few test scenes, including the demo in the video, out to Android and iPhone) - the toolkit itself doesn't really add much to the final build - just the classes that manage the maps, chunks and blocks.

-JFFM

37. JFFM

JFFM

And then a quick informal update from me on the development of Tidy TileMapper:

I've added a tonne of fixes and features to Tidy TileMapper, including:

-Layers
    -Corrections to some of the orientation logic
    -Fixes that will assure Tidy TileMapper behaves correctly in 3.5 and onward
    -Documentation for the majority of the internal classes
    -The addition of a Block Utilities class (the beginning of neatening up the procedural generation process)

I'm going to test this quite thoroughly today and tomorrow (it makes some huge changes) and then release it for your enjoyment.

Should be good!

Thanks for all your feedback everybody, should be a fun new release.

-JFFM

38. orb

orb

39. JFFM

JFFM

Good question! I was thinking about that exact product when I was doing some tests (following the post by p6r).

From the looks of it, that would be 100% fine, provided the pieces can be fit together to create standard-sized blocks that would join together on a grid.

-JFFM

P.S I get such a kick out of people using the "TTM" abbreviation :D

40. JFFM

JFFM

So I'm breaking my "Only update the forum in the morning" rule to tell a brief little pointless anecdote:

I've just fixed the "Blocks paint in random places" bug on Unity 3.5 Beta (as reported by my geographically-local friend @Murcho), and I did a silly little excited dance that was kind-of reminiscent of a penguin.

For the curious among you, here's an abstract:

Problem: GameObjects appear to not revert to Edit-state in Unity 3.5 Beta

(Notice the SEO attempt on that heading?)

Solution:

Unity 3.5 is a lot more strict about the use of EditorUtility.SetDirty() - you must set it on everything.

If you don't - or you just plum forget to set it on something, it will change to some crazy state when you press Play / Stop.

Unity 3.4 was fine - from my experience it never really cared either way if you set it on your Monobehaviours...

But Unity 3.5 is the strict new Father-figure in the family. You will love him, and you will obey him.

(This is a good thing)

This has been a public service announcement from JFFM.

:D

-JFFM

41. orb

orb

I'll have to play around with that once I buy the DCK, then. Seems to be all regular sizes, and would be perfect for a project I have in mind after the main contract work is over. Until then your add-on is more immediately useful for my side-projects, though, if it also has decent mobile performance.

It's never too late to rename it if you want to somehow fit "intelligent" in there!

42. JFFM

JFFM

Well, I've just submitted Tidy Tile Mapper V1.2 to the Asset Store!

It includes a tonne of bug fixes, the big-bad Layer system, and adds a bunch of extra features code-wise that set the foundation for the next few releases.

One big caveat that I tried to avoid, but wasn't able to is:

Tidy Tile Mapper V1.2 will break your previous maps

I'm sorry about this - I concocted a million schemes to try to get around it, but in order to keep the implementation of Layers both fast and nice, I had to change some of the base classes.

But don't fret, you will be royally rewarded for your patience. Take a gander at my current working project for the next two releases of Tidy Tile Mapper:

I'll let those of you who are CSI-inclined to figure out the whys and wherefores of this screenshot.

In any case, I'm excited - I think the next two releases will be enjoyable.

-JFFM

43. p6r

p6r

44. Bigshoes

Bigshoes

Really liking the look of this, I'll definitely be checking it out once I can find the time!

45. iisjreg

iisjreg

Random maze generation with basic path-finding?

Nice.

...I'm so close to buying this. Just. Need. More. Pennies. :)

46. matis1989

matis1989

Hi,
    you made really great tool, I love it!:)
    One question, is posible dig caves(have more vertical chunks) in that "top" view?
    I hope you understand me.

47. JFFM

JFFM

Yep, definitely - once the newest version has been approved and is live on the Asset Store (sometime today I hope) - you can add chunks above and below any existing chunk, in both "top" and "side" view.

@p6r Looks great! You've got tonnes of plugins in your arsenal - very nice.

And yessir: the next two releases contain:

-Automated Maze Generation
    and
    -A* pathfinding over any map built with Tidy TileMapper.

-JFFM

48. JFFM

JFFM

Hello friends and wellwishers,

The big, bold new update for Tidy TileMapper is live on the Asset Store!

A few things of note:

-The latest Tidy TileMapper is not compatible with maps created in previous versions (sorry!) so you'll need to start anew and clear your projects.
    -As my good friend p6r has highlighted - if you hold the mouse button for a little too long when adding layers, you will get a few more layers than you desire. I'll be adding a "Delete chunk" function in later releases.

And that's about all!

I've got two new releases waiting to be published over the next week, which should be pretty exciting. I'm hoping that, with your feedback, the Tidy TileMapper core foundation will be solidified (I think this release is the last major change to the fundamental logic) - and we can get on with making super-fun updates (like the upcoming path-carving tools).

Enjoy!

Oh, and as a little curio - I've also released a small script for realtime mesh-modification (we use it to create water and fire blocks in TTM) - called "Tidy Wave Mesh", check it out if that sounds to be up your alley ;)

-JFFM

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  49. p6r

p6r

Sounds very good !!!

Your Tidy Wave Mesh is very clever and fantastic too... Bravo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6R

50. rstehwien

rstehwien

Picking up Tidy Wave Mesh too!

If you are inclined to make more addons... maybe some block sets would be nice. Something for ice, desert, stone, etc for us non-artistically inclined to prototype with at least.

Liking TTM and looking forward to future enhancements. One "would be nice" enhancements would be to be able to attach some sort of properties to various tiles or locations in the map (like some other 2d tile mappers do) so we could script to those properties.