Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Tidy Tile Mapper: Paint tile-maps from the Editor [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JFFM, Jan 21, 2012.

1. JFFM

JFFM

Hi @M_Stolley - it will be in the Asset Store soon (bundled in with the tool itself) - the video is like an "in development".

It's pretty close to release - just got to do a little testing and make a few demo extensions of the controllers to test my structure.

-JFFM

2. JFFM

JFFM

Hi @uublive,

To clarify - do you mean ... is the a best practice I can advise for developing games say... across both mobile and desktop devices?
    Or is this related to the multi-platform toolkit?

Oh oh, it's your first post! Thanks for spending it here :D

-JFFM

3. uublive

uublive

:) thanx
    sorry I wasn't really clear. As i'm targeting iphone (2 different resolutions) and ipad (2 different resolution), my assets will be of course different for every target device: does this mean i'll have to build a version of every map for every different target?

4. JFFM

JFFM

Ah good question.

If you're using completely different prefabs (different meshes and objects) then you may indeed need to build a new map per-target (unless a tool like the Multiplatform Toolkit will substitute prefabs for you at buildtime).

It's probably best practice to have a different published map per-target if your assets are largely different - to avoid confusion.

-JFFM

5. S0ULART

S0ULART

hey JFFM did you receive my PM?

6. markhula

markhula

Stupid question :)

I'm about to purchase TTM but need to know one thing.
    Can I paint tiles in any axis?, i.e. could I choose x Y and then maybe X Z i.e. so I can paint into a 3d map not just 2d.
    I kind of asked JFFM this, but perhaps I didn't ask it correctly <doh me>.
    :))))

Cheers

7. uublive

uublive

Of course you can, this is a screenshot taken from the first topic of this thread:

8. markhula

markhula

:)
    Lol!
    Like I said Stupid Question.
    Purchase in progress!!!!!! :))))))

THANKS!

9. uublive

uublive

It's not a stupid question at all :) Also it's a very interesting concept, because for example it can easily lead here:

10. markhula

markhula

MAN!, that looks cool!
    I need to achieve something like this but make it look less blocky (if you know what I mean)
    As I presume each 'block' is just a mesh then presumably there's no reason why it has to be actually a cube - so it could be possible to make less angular landscapes?
    Is that your game?

Cheers appreciate the response

11. markhula

markhula

Actually, one more question if I may!

I wish to have say 'block set 1' used on a few maps. Then of course 'block set 2' used on different maps.
    Are the block sets saved external to the map?. So I can reuse a block set (mesh/textures/ mapper block info. etc.) on another map without duplicating the actual block set?
    I hope that question makes sense!!! ;-)

Cheers

12. uublive

uublive

No it's Fez, you can find info's here: http://polytroncorporation.com/fez
    As far as I know (I just started playing around with Tidy) you can work with anything you want as tileset, as long as the block are the same polygon/plane, but it's better if the author replies.

13. uublive

uublive

as a reference the blocks you create in the block editor are saved in Assets/Tidy Tile Mapper/Blocks, but you don't need that, as you'll see every set in the tidy editor window, so you can reuse them as much as you want.

14. markhula

markhula

Hi,

Ok - I *think* I understand.
    I have also downloaded Ippokratis batching tools - I am wondering how I use this (trying to reduce my draw calls!!) with TTM?
    I guess I am asking do I even need to do this?
    If (for example as I am certainly no artist!) all the block set mapped to 1 texture would this be the most efficient way to draw?.
    I don't have Unity Pro and 50+ draw calls on iOS is not good :-((((

Cheers

P.S Just tried a 'test map' using the supplied blocks. It seems to produce 10 draw calls!!! - why is that????

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  15. markhula

markhula

Hey JFFM!

I'm breaking it already :)
    Got:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    DopplerInteractive.TidyTileMapper.Editors.TidyBlockMapCreator.CleanMap (.BlockMap blockMap)
    DopplerInteractive.TidyTileMapper.Editors.TidyBlockMapCreator.PublishMap ()
    DopplerInteractive.TidyTileMapper.Editors.TidyBlockMapCreator.InspectorUpdate ()
    MapCreatorWindow.OnInspectorUpdate () (at Assets/Tidy Tile Mapper/Editor/Editor Windows/MapCreatorWindow.cs:26)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder

Basically I fiddled (broke!) with my map. I presume to 'delete' a tile I select the empty tile and paste that in. I then tried to publish over an existing prefab i.e. so as to remove the empty tiles. This is when the error came up.

Cheers

P.S I am obviously mis-using/mis-understanding this!
    I create a map I publish it i.e. create a prefab.
    If I edit this prefab (i.e. add remove blocks) I need to publish it again to update the map prefab? (I assume so).
    This then seems to create 2 prefabs in the scene an hence the error.
    It must be late - that's why I am goofing it up! - someone enlighten me so I don't break it anymore! ;-)
    Empty blocks seems visible in game window! :-?
    Also, after editing a prefab (probably incorrectly) I cannot get my first scene to play (play doesn't work). I have to quit Unity reload and then it works.

Cheers

16. crafTDev

crafTDev

Painting like this? I created this level in TTM.

17. markhula

markhula

Hi

Yep ; that is like the type of thing I need to create !!!!!!!

Cheers

18. JFFM

JFFM

Hi Markhula,

Definitely - if you're on iOS (non-pro) without dynamic batching, using a batching tool is a great idea.

I'm not familiar with that particular tool, but I've structured the maps in TTM to be built in "Chunks" (the larger blocks you click on to populate a map out). This "Chunk" size is intended to be your "batch size" as well as your paint size - so you can apply batching per-chunk and get a better control over your mesh-combination.

To use an example from Unify Wiki (the mesh combine script) - I would add the mesh combine script to each chunk (probably create a script to search for MeshChunk objects and do it automatically) - this will then go through and batch up your chunks nicely.

Also I believe ticking "static" on your blocks (if you are not using the Runtime API) is a good idea, as it will combine things up at runtime automatically.

-JFFM

19. JFFM

JFFM

Hi Markhula,

Yep - definitely don't delete empty blocks :D They're the foundation of the painting logic (they'll be stripped at publish time and runtime).

They are visible in the Game View (on the currently released version) but they are invisible in the new version.

If you're enthusiastic, you can replicate this change yourself by setting your camera to cull the layer "TransparentFX" and setting the Working block cubes (from the Tidy Tile Mapper / Editor / Prefabs folder) to be on this layer.

As for the "cannot get scene to play" issue - are you the man on Twitter who raised that with me?
    If not - never fear! I'm looking at it while I type this message :D

As another thing to be aware of: You cannot press "Play" while the Block Editor window is open. It is programmed to block this (as it does strange things to the prefab connections) - so be sure to check this is closed.

Hope that helps!

-JFFM

20. markhula

markhula

Hey JFFM,

Thanks for the info.
    No I'm not the guy on Twitter :)
    What I do notice (as you mention) is not only are the empty blocks visible but they still have their collision active in the game window.
    I still don't get what to do when I edit, save (i.e. create prefab). Do I then manually have to delete the original prefab and copy (drag it across) into my project?
    Basically if I edit, then save it creates the 'new' game object. If I edit and save again it creates another game object (even though it asks if too overwrite is ok). I am obviously doing it wrong somewhere - please help :)))

Cheers

21. JFFM

JFFM

Hi @Markhula,

Do you mean editing a Block or editing the map?

Feel free to send me an email at the support address in the readme.txt file so you can get a little more space to outline what you're doing.

-JFFM

22. JFFM

JFFM

Hello Everybody,

I put together a quick little tutorial video for Tidy TileMapper - particularly aimed at our new users. Hopefully it will cover off a few core points and get everybody up and running mega-quickly.

It covers:

-Installing the package
    -Creating a new map
    -Painting the map
    -Working blocks
    -"Play" behavior
    -Publishing
    -Stripping levels

I hope it's helpful to you!

-JFFM

23. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

Thanks, as a new user: it is warmly welcomed!

24. p6r

p6r

@ JFFM : Nice tutorial for beginners ! All what new users need to start with your great plugin !

Here is a video of my coming game using TTM for easy and fast creation of maps. It's so great to be able to modify the map again and again if needed, without big efforts !!!
    All is coded in javascript (No "Brain Builder" here to see if I can do that !) and I have made my own horizontal or vertical moving platform scripts where the hero can move on them.
    (Now I'm waiting for the new TTM features for the enemies and so on...)

And the Tidy Wave Mesh has a nice water effect here...

6R

25. markhula

markhula

Ahhh!, I think your excellent beginners video helped me.
    What I do now, is have an empty scene (not used by the game) build my level in there then export it.
    Then the 'real' game level can access the exported prefab.
    This arrangement seems to work for me :)

Cheers

26. markhula

markhula

Mind you!, soft selection simply doesn't work for me. Only the selected block moves not the surrounding ones. :-(

27. JFFM

JFFM

Hi Markhula,

Be sure you're selecting the "Block", not the child mesh (it should have the green outline - you will likely need to move up by one level in the hierarchy).

I'll add a feature that automatically moves up to the parent in the hierarchy when selection a child mesh, that should help ;)

-JFFM

28. markhula

markhula

Hey JFFM,

AH YES!, that was the issue. To move up the hierarchy automatically would be most helpful!

Cheers!

29. JFFM

JFFM

Hello Everybody,

I've put out a release to Tidy Tile Mapper that adds a few things:

-Automatic Block selection for Soft Selection (if you have the Soft Selection tool chosen, it will always bump your mouse selection to the correct block)
    -"Act Empty" tiles now orient themselves inversely to usual blocks (they consider full blocks to be empty, empty blocks to be full).
    -Added a "VariantIndex" parameter to the AddBlockToMap() function in the Runtime API.
    -Maps will no longer orient themselves to the camera upon creation.
    -Automatic tagging of the Camera to cull "TransparentFX" layer in order to hide working blocks in game view.
    -A whole bunch of small changes and additions to the internal workings of the tool to pave the way for further updates.

And other things I can't remember right now :D

Enjoy!

-JFFM

30. orb

orb

Is that 1.3.1.2? I can barely keep up with your speed ;)

31. markhula

markhula

Ace stuff.
    I seem to be making progress now. perhaps it is me but is it a pain to create each block? (or just me) (i.e. via blender, uv unwrap, assign material, edit in photo shop etc. etc.)
    Also, the 'preview' under 'your blocks' seems *really* dark for my created blocks - not sure why as the actual block textures themselves are very light (like bright green,yellow etc.). How is the preview generated??.

Cheers

EDIT: think I have found a bug. I had lots of 'empty blocks' but I created a new block. Suddenly all the empty blocks became the new block - presume this is incorrect? :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  32. markhula

markhula

Hey there,

Have some requests/bugs.
    I am trying to build my map 'forward' i.e. as a flat landscape.
    When I add a layer and then select a block to 'paste' it fills that entire map-chunk; it would be nice to not have that happen i.e. an option. Because I may just need 1 tile in that layer and I have to therefore clear out the others.
    Also 'block map layer visibility' shows nothing (No block maps exist in scene) means when I have multiple layers I sometimes can't select one tile 'in the middle' because I can't turn off the surrounding layers visibility - and hence can't select it.
    A quick question!. Currently all my tiles are 1 x 1; for a flat landscape this means around 200 on screen i.e. kills frame rate.
    If I make a 'floor' tile of say 5 x 5 can I plot that in the map i.e. will it 'fill up' 5 x 5 in the tile map? . If so this will obviously reduce processing substantially. Then I can make basic buildings from 'walls' and 'roofs' of varying sizes other than 1 x 1 :)

Top stuff though :)

Cheers

EDIT: created another map in the same scene and visibility started working!
    Can't view say layer 0 1 simultaneously (it's either all or just 1 layer of choice). As my building has 'height' it would be easier to view the layer I am working on and perhaps the one above or below i.e. I can choose which layers to view.
    Have to keep going back to 'disable all tools' as I need to constantly keep rotating my 3d map. Keyboard shortcut would be helpful.
    When 'filling' a map chunk it always puts empty map chunks around the original. This is great usually but in a 3d world it's just more things in the way and I end up deleting them just for sake of visibility; an option for this would be great.
    When I 'export' my prefab I always end up with 1 block 'floating' out of the scene (the original map looks fine though). I *think* it's some kind of grab/transform point. The prefab was created with 'strip all'

<Sorry> long list!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  33. JFFM

JFFM

Hi Markhula,

Long list indeed! I'll have a look through and add your points to my "To Do" list.

I've had a few requests for blocks of arbitrary proportions (i.e not just 1x1) - so I'll likely be adding that in the near future (which will be good for your floor issues).

I'm going to add a "Refresh Visibility" button to the Tools window (in the event that visibility stops working - it relies on the scene maps being detected). I believe if you close and then re-open the Tools window, it should start working again, in the meantime.

Ah, the previews may be dark owing to the Ambient Light. I'll just check the logic.

When a preview is generated it aligns the block to a camera, creates a Directional Light of 0.4 intensity, and takes a cap - but I may not have changed the ambient light (if this is grey, the previews will be very dark). I'm on the case!

Edit: Yep, it sets the Ambient Light to White before taking a cap. Strange! If you email me through an example object I'll test and adjust on my side.

-JFFM

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  34. JFFM

JFFM

Yeah man - I'm worried I'll get to 2.0 and the world will end :D

-JFFM

35. orb

orb

You've got over 7 months. No worries :)

I've been playing around with it a bit more now to create some maps for a simple prototype game, and I find it a bit sluggish still. Core 2 Duo laptop, but still. Clicking a chunk still gives me a delay of several seconds out of the box before it adds even 5x5 tiles. Everything else about it is smooth and responsive, so I hope this is fixable somehow.

Waiting between clicks isn't as big a problem as actually grokking the way blocks work, though! I'm still a bit in the dark about how alternative blocks are supposed to work. It seems as if the whole block editing system is geared towards side-view editing, while I'm working on flat overhead maps (possibly with layers).

So if I edit a map out of the box it looks like a sidescroller map that fell over. One edge will have the top tile (flowers), the rest will be dirt. I messed with the lone tile until I had two variants in there, and it seems to sort of work, but using any of the other blocks down the list is out of the question, as the flower tile will randomly appear and disappear from tiles (as it expects my side tiles to be above or below).

I also noticed the dark previews, especially after lighting up a map with A-Lab's lighting tools. It doesn't bother me too much, but trying to fix it may reveal some more quirks in Unity ;)

36. markhula

markhula

Hey JFFM,

Thanks for that.

@Orb we seem to be suffering some similar issues. My dual core mac struggles a bit. I have 200 game objects for a most basic map; once JFFM adds multi-block objects (i.e. not just 1 x 1) then I think we will get a massive speed increase.

@JFFM. Hey!, I wasn't complaining :). I guess different people use it in different ways hence the issues appear. The multi-block issue is the biggest issue for me at the moment though as it cripples performance and obviously makes level design a pig :)
    I think to add more '3D tile support' simply expands the uses of Tidy Tile Mapper and therefore generates more sales :))) (as you know I bought it with this reason in mind).

<sitting waiting for next update> :))))))))

Cheers

37. orb

orb

Speaking of 3D tile support - there is a dungeon tile *category* in the asset store now. Good time to consider working with those creators ;)

38. markhula

markhula

Argh!, my tidy tile mapper is broke!
    For reasons unknown the error 'editor window could not be loaded because script is not found in the project'
    Have re-instaleld and rebooted no joy :-((((
    Please advise how to fix!!! :-((((((((

Cheers

EDIT: Am I correct in that when I update or re-import my own created 'blocks' will effectively be deleted???. If so how/where do I store them to avoid this?

BUG: Forgot to mention!, before all this. Map management seems to be only selectable if a 'chunk' is pasted rather than just 1 tile.....
    Definitely an issue when exporting with the odd block 'floating' away from the scene

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  39. JFFM

JFFM

Hi Markhula,

Have you tried right-clicking the TTM tab and closing it, and reopening the window? I've found that after an update, Unity will often require me to close and reopen the window in order to detect/load the new script (So it will print that error out instead).

If that doesn't work, feel free to zip your project up and send it through to the support email - I'll do some CSI-styled forensics over it to discover the issue.

Do you mean when you update/re-import the TTM package? They shouldn't be deleted (as Unity generally does a non-destructive package import - just importing new things and not deleting existing things). If your Blocks don't appear after an update, a restart of Unity will usually clear any prefab generation issues.

Could you clarify what you mean by "if a chunk is pasted"? Thanks ;)

-JFFM

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  40. JFFM

JFFM

Hi Orb,

What crazy timing! I was looking at this yesterday.
    It's such a strange phenomena - instantiating prefabs in a loop (say, 25 in a single frame) seems to take longer than instantiating 1 prefab
    per frame for 25 frames.
    So I'm looking to add a sort of trickle-filled buffer of blocks instantiated over time - so when a chunk is to be clicked, all the blocks exist already.

I'll pop a tutorial video up on this one - that should hopefully be helpful to everybody.

Fixed! I've got a fix for this and a few other things ready to be released (probably immediately after I type this and drink my coffee).

-JFFM

41. JFFM

JFFM

...Which was a good segue to say:

I'm just uploading (right now) a new update to Tidy Tile Mapper.

This update:

-Increases the intensity of the Directional Light used to generate previews (to a middle-ground that seems to look good for both light and dark blocks)... hopefully
    -Adds a "Refresh" button to both Map Management and Block Swatches on the off-chance that something doesn't synchronise, or if you bring in Block prefabs from other projects.
    -Adds to the block-refresh logic when editing a Block (1 in a million times, some weird prefab sync thing would happen).
    -A billion tiny internal changes, as usual.

Enjoy!

-JFFM

42. orb

orb

Cheers, looking forward to the next megadrop of updates :)

43. markhula

markhula

Hey JFFM,

I managed to get TTM working again by simply selecting the option from the drop down window. And yep it was after a Unity update - which always break things. But my tiles had definitely disappeared!!!, which is rather worrying!!. By 'chunk selected' I mean when you first paste with a selected tile if fills the whole 'chunk' (like 5 x 5 or whatever the default is). Map management is now selectable at this point. If I now choose a different tile and paste within that block (i.e. just paste 1 1x1 tile) map management doesn't highlite.
    Do we have a rough ETA on multi block size prefab pasting???? :)))

Cheers

44. markhula

markhula

Hey,

Just a suggestion for how 'multi block' tiles could be dealt with.
    You have your game object and you have to 'fit it in' to a 3d cube (of 1x1 tiles) this then gives the size of the multi block object say 5 x 5 x 3 (high) for example. Then that object is placed in the map as a single entity. Will need some choices for how the object is placed i.e. it's grab point/hot spot ; like centre, or bottom left/bottom right etc. Also (of course) as it has height it may well need to add layers - this is where visibility becomes an issue with the current layer system. I *think* it might be easier to simply 'swap' between axis to paint on i.e. X Y , click icon/shortcut now 'painting' on X Z for example. It means the view will swing around but might be easier than the current 'foggy' empty tiles clouding the view when trying to do 3d tiles. Naturally the new 5 x 5 x 3 occupies that map space now and can be selected as 1 object also. Also a 'snap' would be great so when positioning a 3d multi block object you can 'snap' it to perhaps the layer below so it's easier to place (kind of how Unity does it with meshes I guess)

Just a thought! - I think it's the current layering systems visibility that's the real issue in 3d (perfect in 2d!) ; as I sit here trying to create a building in 3d it is real tricky.

Just my two pence worth! ; but as JFFM you've done such a great job I am certain you'll come up with a great solution :))))

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  45. JFFM

JFFM

Hi Markhula,

Ah, I get what you mean by pasting now, thanks ;) - Yeah it is a little off-and-on, I'll check to see when the map management is being refreshed. It usually checks the map attached to the current mouseover chunk or block, and if this is not null - enables the panel. I'll take a look at it. In the meantime, if you select a chunk in the hierarchy (or the root itself) map management should become available again.

Thanks for your input on multi-block tiles! It's a tricky proposition.

When you say your tiles disappeared - are the prefabs still in the Tidy Tile Mapper\Blocks folder, or have they been deleted entirely?

-JFFM

46. markhula

markhula

Hey JFFM,

As usual, thanks for your prompt replies and fixes!.
    I'll get back to you on where my tiles disappeared to (if at all).
    I can tell multi-block is a tricky thing; but it take TTM to the next level !!! - it would be awesome then because we can create proper 3d modular levels which is PERFECT for mobile platforms.
    Please,please please (and another please :) ) make it top of the TODO list - more than happy to test/debug/bug report on this (and indeed any other) particular feature - as I have a habit of breaking things !;)

Cheers

47. JFFM

JFFM

Hi Markhula,

Could you do me a favour and send an email with an outline of the type of game you're making - and the sort of tiles with which you'll be painting? It's very helpful for me to be able to picture a game in my head, and then update the tool framed around the game.

What a weird-sounding post this was :D

-JFFM

48. rygaar

rygaar

Hi,

Any ETA on the AI / Controller features?

cheers

49. markhula

markhula

Pm'd you

50. JFFM

JFFM

Hi rygaar,

Oh good question. I'm timing it with another release (which I think should drop today) - so I'm hoping to have the initial controller blocks out this week sometime.

-JFFM