Unity Community

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

1. Location
    Portugal
    [Edit - please do not post code that doesn't belong to you.]
    Last edited by Eric5h5; 05-27-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Removed non-public code

2. Posts
    Hello. How would I go about creating my own GUI system that takes data from your script eg. Speed, Gear, RPM and then displaying that info on 2 gauges, one speed and the other RPM, and a number telling me your gear. And also when I put the skidmarks object into my main scene there is 3 white boxes on every edge of the view except for the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by drift501 View Post
    Hello. How would I go about creating my own GUI system that takes data from your script eg. Speed, Gear, RPM and then displaying that info on 2 gauges, one speed and the other RPM, and a number telling me your gear.
    All those values are displayed in the telemetry window. You can check out the CarTelemetry.js script and gather the values in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by drift501 View Post
    And also when I put the skidmarks object into my main scene there is 3 white boxes on every edge of the view except for the bottom?
    Those white boxes are intended for the mirrors. They are GUITexture objects located as children of the MAIN object. If you followed the instructions at the tutorial, they should automatically hide when running the scene, appearing only as mirrors for the vehicles that have them configured (i.e. the Bus). Check out the tutorial:

http://projects.edy.es/trac/edy_vehi...hysicsTutorial
    Physically realist, stable and fun vehicle physics in Unity
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/403

4. Posts
    Ah, ok thanks. Also how do I add sound to my cars. I couldn't find anywhere in the scripts where this was controlled.
    P.S. What settings are bes for a drift car.

Latest version includes a full-featured sound script with all sound effects, as you can see in the demo:

http://www.edy.es/dev/vehicle-physics/live-demo

Simply update the package form the Asset Store window or download the latest source package from the repository.

The drift behavior depends on the sideways friction parameters at CarControl: SidewaysWheelFriction and sidewaysDriftFriction.

6. Posts
    Hi Edy,

I bought the pack this weekend, it's fantastic!

Is there any news on the documentation to create our own vehicles though and get them into the project? I've read you're putting a training video together. Other than this it's perfect for us, but as the artist for the project I have no way of knowing the process to get our vehicles in there...

Thanks!

I have an ongoing project which lasts until the beginning of the next month, so I'll catch up with the documentation then. Meanwhile, I'd recommend you to check out the hierarchy for the sports coupe and the bus. Essentially, all moving parts (wheels, disc brakes, steering wheels) must be separated child objects, placed at their correct positions, and each individual origin located at their point of rotation. Also, the orientation for the vehicle and its components must be Z forward, Y up, X right.

8. Posts
    Thanks for the quick reply!..I shall have a good look into this and see if I can get it to work.

9. Posts
    Hey guys, 10 years ago i joined the indie gamedev community as a hobby for one reason only: to make an Arcade Racing Game! Now after lots of adventures in this field i can finally concentrate on this dream, but as a professional graphic designer (and 3d artist) i cant code... so i need tools. Tools like Edy's Vehicle Physics, UnityCar, Rapid Unity Vehicle Editor and now Yusuf's Racing Game Kit look great ant i'm ready to get them (saved up enough)... BUT there still is one thing i need to know:

By ARCADE game physics i mean Arcade as in Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Scud Race, Outrun 2, Battle Gear, those are very, very far from what i've seen in any Unity Physics demo. I have absolutely no intention to criticize any of your great tools, but to understand if it is possible to achieve TRUE arcade control/feel with them. Some years ago a friend of mine from the industry explained that those games use 'constrained physics', a term i dont understand even today

So: can i (and how) achieve such perfect control as the examples below with any 'non-programmer' tool as the ones mentioned above in this case EDY's ?

A million thanks in advance!

Daytona USA (1993)

Sega Rally (1994)

Scud Race (1996)

Outrun 2 (2003)

Battle Gear 4 (2005)
    Last edited by clandestine; 06-13-2012 at 04:35 AM.

10. Posts
    I'm using Edy's kit in Omega Drive on iOS (modified a bit to work with my control scheme and game style) and I think it would be possible to get an arcade style feel, but you would have to experiment a lot with the settings and maybe even dig into the code a bit.

You may even be able to get an arcade feel by placing the Center of Gravity well below the road. Any flips would behave very strangely, but if you can adjust the other settings to prevent tips and flips, it would come very close to an arcade feel right out of the box, without touching a line of code.
    BoiledGoose.com

11. Posts
    Sounds very good cheezorg. Thanks! I'll experiment as much as necessary.
    What i notice in each one of those games is the insane speed combined with pinpoint precision control... physics doesn't behave like this in real life, so there must be something else at work. I honestly hope that I'm over-thinking and the solution is within reach. I'm still deciding between Edy and unityCar, considering i don't need millions of features... just arcade control.

12. Posts
    This is a quick test I did with a super low Center of Mass. All I did was take my car as it is in my game and lower the Center of Mass until it was WAY under the actual game level.

In Edy's kit the CoM is just a transform child of the vehicle so you can drag it wherever feels right for your car. In Omega Drive, I have it set just barely under the car, because flips and jumps are as much a part of my game as driving, but in an Arcade race, if you want your car glued to the ground then a super low CoM and and some goofing with the vehicle mass should get you 99% of the way there.

I tried to bump into some things so you can see how bumps affect the car with the low CoM. It isn't glued to the road, but like I said, the CoM was ALL I changed. In the normal game the car bounces around and flips so the CoM change makes a big difference. Also - your level design and the shape of your vehicle colliders will help keep the cars on the road.

There are plenty of other ways to accomplish an arcade feel, but this is where I would start if I was building an arcade racer myself.

BoiledGoose.com

13. Posts
    Very cool results there cheezorg! What you have there combined with a little faster steering response and a little less traction might do the trick for now!

Thanks for the time and effort cheezorg, very much appreciated!

14. Posts
    Please help. Im not sure if its been addressed before but after changing some of the handling data, like the ride height, my tire treads draw miles away to the left of the car. Here is a screen shot:

I was doing donuts and this is the result. Again I have only really messed with engine output, traction settings for better drift, making the car faster and slamming the ride height. Stock sport coupe is at 2.0 height offset by default, and I changed it to .5 off the ground. Any leads to fixing this would be awesome. Again I have not touched anything regarding the tire treads. Really confused here...??

15. Posts
    Iv read a few people have got eddy's system working on iPhone (is this feature planed for future updates?)

Would anyone be willing to share the workflow/code to set up control for tilting or a GUI controller for mobile

any info would be handy (even if its to suggest a different solution as I know mobile is not the focus of this project)

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Shinjitsu84 View Post
    Please help. Im not sure if its been addressed before but after changing some of the handling data, like the ride height, my tire treads draw miles away to the left of the car. Here is a screen shot: [...]
    Ensure that the SkidMarks gameobject has its position and rotation set to 0,0,0 and the scale to 1,1,1.

Quote Originally Posted by pinchmass View Post
    Iv read a few people have got eddy's system working on iPhone (is this feature planed for future updates?)
    Would anyone be willing to share the workflow/code to set up control for tilting or a GUI controller for mobile
    any info would be handy (even if its to suggest a different solution as I know mobile is not the focus of this project)
    cheers
    The control scripts expose simple variables for applying the user input to the vehicle: steerInput, motorInput, brakeInput, all of then in the range 0..1 (-1..+1 for steering). So translating any kind of input into these variables should be pretty straightforward.

http://projects.edy.es/trac/edy_vehi...iki/CarControl

17. Posts
    I have an old version of your package Edy, And it hasn't car sound effects and camera control changed better in new version !
    How can I upgrade? or add sounds effects.
    How to change camera control?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MHG12 View Post
    I have an old version of your package Edy, And it hasn't car sound effects and camera control changed better in new version !
    How can I upgrade? or add sounds effects.
    How to change camera control?
    Thanks
    The version at the Asset Store includes the new sound effects and camera scripts. Open the Asset Store window inside Unity, go to your downloaded packages (one of the icons at the top-left of the Asset Store), find Edy's Vehicle Physics and click the Update button. After the package is downloaded the button will read Import. Create a New Project, click that Import button, and you have it.

19. Posts
    Hey Edy, can you please take a quick look at this topic >> Racing Game Kit - Complete Toolset for creating Super Cool Racing Games

Edy is not compatible, i have to develop integration code for it. But I don't have Edy vehicle code.
    and comment on any future development of this.
    Gracias hermano!

20. Posts
    Wow, I'm an idiot! Thank you sir! Good day! ^_O

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast