Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Sage: Anim Graph Editor -- Control your Animations Visually!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AlteredReality, Jan 19, 2012.

1. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

THE PRICE WAS JUST PERMANENTLY DROPPED FROM $95 TO $75!!!

Our next asset has just been released into the asset store! Sage: Anim Graph Editor!!!!

Asset Store Link: http://u3d.as/content/altered-reality-entertainment/sage-anim-graph-editor/2AS
    Full Documentation: http://alteredr.squarespace.com/storage/sagedocumentation/SageDocumentation.pdf

Site License \w Source Code available on our website: http://www.alteredr.com/sage
    -- $75 off coupon available for current owners of Sage, email me for details. --

Sage is an Animation Graph Editor built directly into the Unity Editor. It can be used to quickly setup animation state machines and blend graphs. It makes it easy to blend between different animations based on input variables. In order for Sage to drive animation on a character, all that is required is using C# to call a few accessor functions to set variables, start/stop state machines and optionally trigger manual state transitions. Everything is is completely abstracted and automatic!

It is the first and only graph based editor extension tailored specifically for working with animations. I plan to continually support and add to it so that it can continue to grow and improve even further.

For more detailed info on Sage, full documentation, and planned updates, check out the our website at: www.alteredr.com/sage

For a Web Player Demo, go here and scroll to the bottom: Sage

Here are some screenshots for Sage. As well as a game implementation walkthrough tutorial. They should give a very good general overview as to what Sage is, and how it works.

Screenshots

Game Implementation Walkthrough -- See how fast and easy it is to use Sage in your game

What's New in v1.5 -- See all the new features in Sage v1.5

If you have any questions or feedback, please let me know. I hope some of you are excited about using Sage as I am about finally getting into the hands of game developers! Enjoy! :D

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  2. Bantis

Bantis

I've been using SAGE since its Alpha, and I cannot recommend this product enough. To me, this is one of the big missing pieces of Unity - I can't imagine working on another project without first incorporating SAGE. If you've used Unreal's AnimTree or other similar graph systems, you'll feel right at home. SAGE also includes a lot of "niceities" to further speed up the workflow.

It's really simple to incorporate into an existing project (I was originally using a custom animation controller) and inevitably saves on a LOT of code. I had only used AnimTree at a superficial level before, but it was easy enough to jump in with SAGE and get the basics of my character working - and now that I've dug much deeper, the true power of a system like this is really exciting.

I HIGHLY recommend giving SAGE a try, I think you'll be extremely happy with it, and Altered Reality has been really great about responding to questions and feedback. I also like the planned future additions!

3. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

Awesome, I'm glad you have enjoyed using it so much so far! Thanks for the kind words! And let me know if you need any help with anything or have any questions at all.

4. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

Version 1.0.3 has been released. It includes a few misc fixes and some additions to variables. But most importantly, it includes an example level that shows how to use a Sage Library (the Asset that contains State Machines and Blend Graphs) in code. The example shows how to use the player input, along with a Sage Controller (the object that controls animation), to animate the character quickly, and easily.

I will also be posting a video demonstrating this for the next tutorial as well.

5. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

I added a new video to the original post. This video shows a walkthrough of how fast and easy it is to use Sage from start to finish. As well, why having Sage is incredibly useful for any Game project!

6. Bantis

Bantis

Thanks for posting the new video - it was extremely helpful to see your workflow. I'm looking forward to incorporating this into an iPad game I've been working on some time this week. I'll post if I need any more guidance!

7. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

I'm glad it was helpful to see! As always, if you need any support, just let me know. I'm more than happy to help!

Also, I should hopefully have version 1.1 done within the next week or so! So stay tuned for that! :)

8. pneill

pneill

Can you access sage state machines via javascript or is it only through C#?

9. Bantis

Bantis

10. fholm

fholm

This looks awesome, instant buy.

11. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

My primary focus has been C# support with Sage. However, as Bantis pointed out, it is possible to use a C# dll from javascript. I will make a document that highlights the steps of how to use Sage from Javascript for those who want to use Javascript. I should hopefully have it online within the next few days.

12. Lord_Pall

Lord_Pall

Does this work in publish to flash?

13. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

I just had someone using 3.5 try it, and no, it does not work with Flash right now. It appears to be related to issues discussed here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/117302-Build-to-Flash-fail

This is not something I am going to support right now though, as I am continuing development on Sage using 3.4.2 so that I can continue to release updates into the Asset Store. However, once 3.5 is finalized and released, I will release an update to address this issue. Sorry for any inconvenience.

14. Bantis

Bantis

Any news on when the next video will be up?

15. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

I'm hoping to put another up sometime this weekend. Is there any particular video you would like to see next?

16. grimmgames

grimmgames

I would like to save my artist from having to create multiple animations that include much of the same things... like walk, run, idle while holding nothing, walk/run/idle while holding something in one hand, walk/run/idle while holding something in the other hand, walk/run/idle while holding something in both hands... Would Sage allow me to mix and match portions of multiple animations like AddMixingTransform, but with multiple transforms from multiple animations?

17. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

As of the current version, this is not something that is supported. However, I am working on putting in support for this in version 1.1. With 1.1, you will be able to add specific mixing transforms to a state machine. Adding the mixing transforms to the state machine gives you the flexibility to create robust state machines for holding an object, and have complete control over what transforms to apply and how to blend the animations. I have actually decided to hold off on the next videos until I add this feature, and a few other features and release 1.1. So once this feature is released, I will have a video going over the specifics of it.

For example, in the case you describe, you would need to create a state machine for say the left hand holding and right hand holding and add the appropriate mixing transforms. Then all you would need to do is start/stop the state machines when they grab/drop objects. Then while either (or both) state machine is active, you could trigger specific states in it (such as shake, wave, throw, etc).

Please let me know if this addresses your question. Or if you have any other questions or desired features. Thanks!

18. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

I just finished the mixing transforms feature for State Machines. Here is a screen shot showing very simple example usage...

In this example, I have a "Arms" state machine that will only apply it's animations transforms to the "RArmCollarbone" and "LArmCollarbone" transforms, and all their children. (The checkbox indicates if it is recursive) So, whenever the "Arms" state machine is active, it will play the "StandingFire" animation and apply it's animation data ONLY to the arms.

I have a few smaller features I want to add to this release, so I should have this new version submitted to the asset store within a few days.

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

19. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

Version 1.1 has been submitted to the asset store! It features the Mixing Transforms (as shown above), blend node presets, and other misc improvements or tweaks. I'll update when it has been approved.

20. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

1.1.0 has been accepted to the asset store! Go check it out!!

Also, I have been cleaning up and tweaking the look of Sage to make it look better overall, both in the Free Skin and the Pro Skin. What do all of you think? Does it look better so far?

Old Look in Free Skin

New Look for Free and Pro Skin

Let me know what you think....Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  21. goat

goat

I bought it just now but unfortunately I didn't know if you'd make more money if I bought if at your website or at Unity Asset Store so I just bought it at the Unity Asset Store.

I'm more of a hobbiest (and who isn't for he most part as an independent game programmer) and I won't get to try it til late this week but I already know from looking at the docs this will be a big help.

22. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

Awesome, I'm glad to hear it will help you out so much! Let me know if you have any questions or feedback.

As for which store, I make more off of the store on my website, as it is a direct purchase. But I have no problem at all with people buying it through the asset store. I personally would tend to purchase stuff through the asset store, simply because there is built in update support and it puts all of the assets I own in one place. So I would just say do whatever one works best for you!

Thanks again!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  23. imtrobin

imtrobin

Hi Andy

I bought from your store but I don't receive the 1.1 update.

24. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

Sorry about that! The update has just been sent. Enjoy!

25. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

I'm over half done with the next update! Here is a quick preview of some new features...

Input Variables

You will now be able to tie input variables directly to various inputs, such as Buttons, Axis, or Analog Stick. They will automatically update when the input changes.

Animation Movement

Animations can now specify how much movement to apply to the character in world space while active. (world units per second). The amount of movement to apply gets scaled by the animation weight in the blend graph. That way the movement blends in and out smoothly.

As shown before, this update also includes a revamped and improved UI. I will also be adding a Trigger node, which will allow state transitions to be triggered by messages sent to the SageController.

If anyone has any feedback or features they'd like to see, let me know!

26. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

I did some testing, and I was able to easily get Sage working with Javascript. Here is the SoldierInputHandler script from the example, written in Javascript...

Code (csharp):
    2. /// <summary>
    3. /// This is the current axis of the controller.
    4. /// </summary>
    5. var axis : Vector2 = Vector2.zero;
    7. /// <summary>
    8. /// This is the current direction the character should be moving.
    9. /// </summary>
    10. var direction : float = 0;
    12. /// <summary>
    13. /// This is the current speed the character should be moving.
    14. /// </summary>
    15. var speed : float = 0;
    17. /// <summary>
    18. /// Main update function
    19. /// </summary>
    20. function Update() {    
    21.     axis = new Vector2(Input.GetAxis("Horizontal"), Input.GetAxis("Vertical"));
    22.     direction = GetDirectionFromAxis(axis);
    23.     speed = axis.magnitude;
    25.     var controller = SageController.Get(gameObject);
    26.     if (controller) {        
    27.         //set direction and speed float variables
    28.         controller.SetFloat("Direction", direction);
    29.         controller.SetFloat("Speed", speed);
    31.         //if an appropriate button is pressed, transistion to a new state on the main state machine.
    32.         if (Input.GetButtonDown("Fire1"))
    33.             controller.TransistionToState("Main", "Jump");
    34.         else if (Input.GetButtonDown("Fire2"))
    35.             controller.TransistionToState("Main", "Fire");
    36.         else if (Input.GetButtonDown("Fire3"))
    37.             controller.StartStateMachine("Arms", 0.25f);
    38.         else if (Input.GetButtonUp("Fire3"))
    39.             controller.StopStateMachine("Arms", 0.25f);
    40.     }
    41. }
    43. /// <summary>
    44. /// Main gui function
    45. /// </summary>
    46. function OnGUI() {
    47.     //display info
    48.     GUILayout.BeginVertical();
    49.     GUILayout.Label("\tAxis (Xbox Left Stick) = " + axis.ToString());
    50.     GUILayout.Label("\t\tDirection = " + direction.ToString());
    51.     GUILayout.Label("\t\tSpeed = " + speed.ToString());
    52.     GUILayout.Label("\tJump (Xbox A Button, Must be Running) = " + Input.GetButton("Fire1").ToString());
    53.     GUILayout.Label("\tSingle Fire (Xbox B Button, Must be Idle) = " + Input.GetButton("Fire2").ToString());
    54.     GUILayout.Label("\tAuto Fire (Xbox X Button) = " + Input.GetButton("Fire3").ToString());
    55.     GUILayout.EndVertical();
    56. }
    58. /// <summary>
    59. /// This function gets the direction from the controller axis.  From -180 to 180, with 0 being when the controller stick is pressed straight up.
    60. /// </summary>
    61. function GetDirectionFromAxis(axis : Vector2) {
    62.     //check if the axis is zero, if so, return 0
    63.     if (axis == Vector2.zero)
    64.         return 0.0f;
    66.     //make sure the axis is normalized
    67.     axis.Normalize();
    69.     //swap x and y
    70.     var temp = axis.x;
    71.     axis.x = axis.y;
    72.     axis.y = temp;
    74.     //get the angle, and offset if needed
    75.     var angle = Mathf.PI - (Mathf.Atan(axis.x / axis.y) + (Mathf.PI / 2.0f));
    76.     if (axis.y < 0.0f)
    77.         angle -= Mathf.PI;
    79.     //return the angle as degrees
    80.     return Mathf.Rad2Deg * angle;
    81. }
    Enjoy!

27. Lypheus

Lypheus

This looks really interesting, I do have one question though : In your video showing how to start from scratch and using the bootcamp soldier to animate, you allow for cardinal movement directions and that seems to work well. Can you extend that video a bit to show how, using the same character and animations, you might handle angular movement (i.e. instead of showing moving forward or to the right, show moving forward AND right at the same time, so he'd run towards the top right of the screen). I'm working on this now and if SAGE can demonstrate simplifying this aspect of movement then i'd be very interested in purchasing it.

Also, I'm assuming it's no problem to adjust animation speeds (i.e. for a "sprint" that uses a 2X speed run loop?).

28. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

It actually already is doing angular movements. When I am pushing the stick "up-right" it will blend between the forward and right animations. How good this looks all comes down to how well your animations blend together, and how you setup the blend between them. In most games I have worked on, directional movement consists of 8 animations, instead of 4, which will blend together better. As well, these 4 animations don't blend together too great. Unfortunately, I am not an animator myself, so I can't really make animations that show this off better.

However, this image shows a directional blend node with 4 directions and alot of overlap for each blend...

The areas where the node is blending between outputs (the areas where the bars overlap), are mapped to the diagonals of the direction. So as mentioned, if the blend node is setup like this (the video didn't have alot of blend overlap), and your animations were created to blend well together, this would make your animations blend EXACTLY like you want.

As for the animation speed, all you have to do is set the speed in the animation node...

If you wind up purchasing Sage, and you need any help or support (or have any feedback), please don't hesitate to let me know!

Also, so you know, I am planning on putting Sage on sale for $75 once version 1.2 is released. I've got it feature complete, now I just need to do some final testing, update documentation, and update some assets. So my plan is to finish that up tomorrow and submit it to the asset store tomorrow night. So 1.2 should be up in the asset store sometime early next week I would hope.

29. Lypheus

Lypheus

Sold - very nice work, thanks for building a great tool to make a difficult task much easier to visualize and implement :). I'll pick up 1.2 when it hits the asset store 'shelves'.

30. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

31. ZJP

ZJP

Very very good new; :cool:

a) You say "C# Delegate Callbacks for State events in a State Machine. This will allow state machine logic to directly drive game logic." for version 1.3. When it is scheduled?

b) It's possible to buy SAGE on your website. When the new rate will apply?

JP

Edit :

Sorry for my "rudeness": I forgot to say that your product is amazing. An indispensable tool for coders.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  32. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you excited about Sage!

Sage will go on sale on my website as soon as it is approved into the Unity Asset Store. I didn't want to have the price two different amounts, so I decided to wait until then.

As for the delegate callbacks and version 1.3, I hope to have that done within a week or two. Although, I thought of another way of handling it, and I'd like some community feedback.

I was debating putting a feature in there that will allow you to click a "Generate Scripts" button, which will then automatically create two scripts that will encompass all of the functionality of a specific Sage Library. As follows...

MySageLibrary_BaseController.cs

This script will contain stub/base functions for all variables, state machines, states, and blend graph functionality. Such as exposing all variables as properties, so you can assign them directly. It will also contain functions for each state in each state machine. Such as "MyState_Enter()", "MyState_Exit()", and "MyState_Update()". All properties and functions will be virtual so they can be overridden. This will be the main automatically generated script file, and will always be overwritten when exporting scripts.​

MySageLibrary_GameController.cs

This script will derive from the above base script. This is the script that game specific functionality should go. So if you want to do something on "MyState_Enter()", you simply override the function and implement whatever you want. I am thinking about doing it this way, so that if you reexport the scripts, your game code wouldn't be overwritten. This script would ONLY be overwritten on script exports if manually selected to overwrite.​

You would then attach a MySageLibrary_GameController to the game object that you want to use that Sage Library, instead of just a base SageController script. This would make it alot easier to interact with your graph in a very specific and tailored way, instead of using all of the generic functions on SageController.

Let me know what you all think! Thanks!

33. ZJP

ZJP

GO!

34. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

:-D

Also, it's taking quite a while to get Sage 1.2 on the Asset Store, so I decide to just drop the price of Sage 1.2 on my website right now!

So Sage on Sale for $75 at: www.alteredr.com/sage

Enjoy!

35. ZJP

ZJP

Purchased... ;)

JP

36. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

Thanks! :)

Let me know if you need help with anything at all. As always, I appreciate any feedback you have that would help improve Sage.

Enjoy!

37. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

I've got the first pass of the script generation working! (And also the delegates for state events) It is generating both the scripts I mentioned, and adding properties for all variables, virtual functions for all Enter, Update, Exit events, and registering all the callbacks for those functions. Now I just want to flesh out the generated script some more to encompass the rest of the functionality to make it easier to switch/force states and to start/stop state machines. I'm really happy with it so far! Hopefully everyone else will be too!

Now to see if I get v1.3.0 finished before v1.2.0 has even been approved into the Asset Store! ;) They must be busy with the release of Unity 3.5!

38. ZJP

ZJP

Really fast.
    In a Altered Reality, Barry Allen is a....coder :D

JP

39. paperab

paperab

Hi,

I would like to know what is the policy in case of new releases? Do we have to buy the new version or are you supporting people who bought a minor release?

Thank you

40. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

All updates are free, whether you buy from my website or from the Unity Asset Store!

All I ask for in return is any feedback you may have, and if you are enjoying Sage (and bought from the Asset Store), that you write a review on the Asset Store to let us (and others) know how you feel about it. All of those things make it easier for me to further improve upon Sage, which is a win for everyone involved! ;-)

41. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

I got another great change coming to version 1.3.0!!!

I figured out how to fully test, debug, and play back animation all in the editor without having to launch the game! So that means Sage Testing GUI is no longer needed! All you will have to do in order to test you graph and play back animations is click the "Start Debugging" button, and it will drop your character in the current level, in front of the scene view camera, and start playing the animations! Then, when you are done, just click "Stop Debugging", and it will remove the character from the scene everything will be back to normal. (Kinda like how Mixamo Animation Store does it's previews) While in debug mode, you have full control over your running Sage Library, just like you did in the testing gui.

So hopefully this should make it even easier and faster to test and iterate on Sage Libraries! :D

42. ZJP

ZJP

Awesome option. :)

JP

43. Lord_Pall

Lord_Pall

Any eta or announcement about publish to flash?

44. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

Due to the lack of full .NET scripting support with the current implementation of publish to Flash, this unfortunately is not something I am planning to do at this time. My previous comments on this were under the assumption of publish to Flash being fully released, but it is still considered a preview release so far. Hopefully once it is fully released, it will support the full .NET runtime.

As well, I have spent some time trying to get it working with publish to Flash. I have come to the conclusion that, given how I have implemented Sage, and the limitations of what is supported with .NET on publish to Flash, that I would have to rewrite significant parts of the code base in order to get it working with publish to Flash.

Official word on the limitations of publish to flash can be found here: http://unity3d.com/unity/publishing/flash

Once Publish to Flash has been officially released, I will revisit it once again. Sorry to disappoint you! :(

45. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

Sage v1.3.0 has been submitted to the asset store!!! (And released on my website!)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  46. ZJP

ZJP

Downloaded. Thx ;)

47. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

Sage 1.3.0 has been accepted into the asset store! Lots of great new features that make it easier to use than ever! And it's still on Sale for $20 off! New major features include the following...

• Full In-Editor Previewing and Visual Debugging. (No longer need to launch the game to test the animations)
    • Added a "Generate Scripts" feature which will create scripts automatically to make it much easier to interact with your Sage Library.
    • Added Speed input to Anim Clips in Blend Graphs to dynamically change the playback speed of animations.
    • Full patch notes: http://alteredr.prophpbb.com/topic5.html

Asset Store Link: http://u3d.as/content/altered-reality-entertainment/sage-anim-graph-editor/2AS

Let me know if anyone has any questions about anything. Enjoy!

48. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

Looks like Unity had the same idea! This is EXACTLY the goals that I had with Sage. I guess at the very least, it gives people better idea of what Sage is and what it does. :)
    http://video.unity3d.com/video/4655480

I'm not really surprised though! The lack of this feature is why I made Sage in the first place. While it will hurt my product in the long run, I'm glad Unity is doing something about this missing feature themselves!

49. keely

keely

I think this is reality for most of the Asset Store devs. The best and most suitable ideas are merged to core Unity. It's a win for everyone, but a sting for the individual dev. One should really mentally accept it when going in, though.

50. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

Yeah, I totally thought this would happen eventually. In my mind, I've already gained more than I put into making Sage. Plus, this gives me an opportunity to be different than their solution. To give Unity devs a compelling alternative. And in the meantime, to show that it is possible to do this sort of thing with Unity right now! :)