Search Unity

Handpainted texture pack - how much whould it be worth to you ?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jimmy livefjord, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Kyzyk

Kyzyk

My opinion - I think even at $5 per individual texture is an amazing price, and i'm a student...

Good work Jimmy!

2. inkbirdstudios

inkbirdstudios

I'll be keeping a eye out on this forum, very excited to see a affordable texture artist, awhile back i made a thread asking for texture artist and everyone wanted to charge something like at least $50 to $150 for a SINGLE texture, like some other people said im a computer science student and unity hobbyist and couldn't afford those prices so im thrilled to see this, you'll probably have a crazy good amount of sales because your affordable

3. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Here comes the pyramid texture. 512 * 512.

Attached Files:

4. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

I am glad to hear that. You are so right. I work for 40 usd / hour. A texture like this take minimum 2 hours to make. People just dont realize how much work goes in to make a texture like this.

5. Sehlor

Sehlor

Completely off topic explanation
    {
    There is a price difference between special drawn texture (you sell once to one person via request) and global asset price (you make one model/texture/music etc.) and sell it to everyone can pay.

For example; you can buy a very very nice warewolf model from dexsoft for only 19,90€

But if you try to make a deal with artist to made such a model, it cost you more than 100$+ ( Model, rig, texture, animation etc. )
    }

@Jimmy when the site will be up? My help offering stands still (6yr old web dev. experience), if you need help any step i could provide gladly :)

6. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

about the page i could use some help in the future. Right now i have everything i need. Whats taking time are things that are out our controll. Please keep in mind that once the page is up a lot of things will be broken on the page. Only the basics for bying the textures will work. Its really awsome Sehlor that you offered help but we are okay for now.

7. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Okay here comes a snow texture. This was really fun to do.

Attached Files:

8. Sehlor

Sehlor

Awesomeness^2.

What tablet are you using? Something magical?

Awesomeness^2.

9. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey man thanks !,

I use a Bambo Pen and Touch, but i wouldnt recomend it. the touch function is really annoying (its like an Ipad and a Wacom tablet in one) you accidently hit the button once in a while that turns on the touch function and before you know it the image gets strange artifacts painted all over the place.I wanted to buy a intous 4 but i really have no money what so ever.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  10. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Here comes a new dirt ground. This one will come in two versions i have attached both here.

Attached Files:

11. RGKD

RGKD

I've been following your hand painted textures for awhile now, all looking really great by the way ^^

I just bought a Wacom tablet, same model as you and I'm wondering why you don't just change the express key on the tablet to something else so you don't turn on the touch functionality when not needed? If you never use it seems like the easiest solution. I've only just started playing with mine in photoshop and I really like how easy it is to zoom in and out plus rotate the canvas using the touch controls.

12. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey man, Yeah you are right.I seriously havent had the time to look into any of this stuff. But will do thanks for the advice. I used a wacom 4 before on a game company i had internship on. I had this idea back then that i was going to put up a million shortcuts on the tablets buttons. I soon realised that that kind of shortcuts are not for me, i just end up using the keyboard instead. Its reallöy nice to hear that you like my textures and please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks again man !

13. virror

virror

Soooo great! Just itching to make a game with those textures, to bad i already have a project going : p
    Maybe later...
    Lycka till : )

14. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thanks alot man !

15. virror

virror

Or i just scrap the style we have now and go for hand painted instead ; )
    No way to talk you into joining a game project i guess? : p

16. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Ha ha now i just feel guilty ;) , I work for 40 usd / hour. My plan is to do some small work in between but my main goal right now is to get up this homepage and get it to grow.

17. virror

virror

That is the goal you should have with your talent, you will make way more money that way : D

18. DylanNagel

DylanNagel

Just curious: wouldn't it make sense just to launch the website with the textures you have now? Or is the website itself not done yet?

I'm ready to spend money if you'll let me! ;)

19. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey Dylan, Thats exactly what my plan is. pay systems that are taking the time. I will let you know as soon as its up promise.

20. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

This one took forever to do and i still need to brush it up a bit more.

Attached Files:

21. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

you are kidding, right?

22. Ocid

Ocid

Hahaha. Ah that cheered me up.

Love the snow texture Jimmy.

23. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Awesome textures dude!

24. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thanks alot man !

25. ivanzu

ivanzu

So you want him to charge YOU 2$ for the advice you gave? ROFL!

Nice!!!!!

26. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thanks man.

27. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey Everyone, www.handpaintedtextures.com is almost almost done now !. What is remaining is the part where the buyer gets the file after he has paid. We are looking different solutions but havent come up with any good one so far. Our first idea was just to simply send a zip file to the persons e-mail.

We need a sollution that is safe and good, any suggestions ? Once this is fixed we are good to go !

Kindly // Jimmy

28. RaskVann

RaskVann

Unless there is some sort of limitation on your end, I'd think sending the files via email would work, as long as they don't surpass a few MB's it should work alright. A more complicated solution would be keeping track of who bought what based on the person's account and allow downloads if you've logged in. I'm sure there are 3rd party solutions but I don't know of any off the top of my head.

29. Sehlor

Sehlor

Hi Jimmy,

If you are afraid of asset stealing, sharing and pirate. I recommend to use that approach i developed for a customer about a year ago for 3D content.

On sale, generate a 24 hour same ip valid 1 time code (GUID suits it perfectly) and send it to customer's email, then develop a bridge that takes code as parameter and redirects customer to his download (can be hosted in multiple places), but in redirects do not directly request to file itself (.zip, .rar) instead, use server side scripting and change pages header and force the download.

Thats the way;
    - You can make file request to its pshycal address from your server and client doesn't know about where file hosted.
    - You can make sure its your customer who requested that file.

After the download;
    This is not in your control, its the licenses takes the lead here.

Any need for technical way, let me know :)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  30. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Sehlor you really nailed it. Its something like this we are looking for. And raskvann to answer your question aswell, imagine if people buy 15 textures and each texture has 2 - 3 variations, hats over 10 mb right there.

Sehlor i really have no clue about coding (a friend of mine are doing the homepage). Is it hard to write something like this ? , He was talking yesterday about some kind of zip script that he would rather avoid to do becouse of lack of time. How much time does it take to write something like this ?

"Any need for technical way, let me know" Thats really nice of you, Pm me with some more info.

Thanks you guys ! // Jimmy

31. Sehlor

Sehlor

I don't know your codebase to tell you how much it gets, but approx 2-3 days to integrate it.

More info? what kind of info do you need?

Best.

32. Sehlor

Sehlor

sent you a pm.

33. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Here comes a preview of a stonewall texture i am working on. This is just like 30 % done so there is a lot of things left. But this is the feeling i am aiming at. I am painting in some perspective so this will fit better for games that has the camera looking a bit down.

Attached Files:

34. Kyzyk

Kyzyk

nice ! what I'm looking for

35. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Great man. Alot to be done still. Today i am working on a new stone texture with smaller stones. I will contionue on this soon.

36. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Here comes a small Stone texture with smaller stones. I have made the stones smaller for thoose who might need that aswell.

Attached Files:

37. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Here comes a woodplank tile texture. 512 * 512. I think some of the other wood textures was a little boring. I wanted something with a little more punch in it.

Attached Files:

38. Intermission

Intermission

This goes without saying, but your work is spectacular!

I actually wish you weren't releasing this to the public so I could be the only one to buy it and not have everyone else use it ! :)

39. turnsy

turnsy

Awesome work Jimmy! I will buying quite a few of your textures for my current iPhone game I am working on when the site is up.

40. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thanks you very much for those kind word. If you were buying the textures seperate they would cost between 100 - 200 usd / texture so i think this is a better deal for you. I say this to people all the time (not to be negative or anything) but if you take into consideration how many people are doing a game and how many games that actually gets released the ratio is not very high. Chances are very low that you will see textures you have bought in another game ( most people will mix it with other textures,change color,contrast and so on to fit the scene) Dont forget to go in and like us on facebook !

Thanks again man !

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  41. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey man,

I looked at your workgame, looked really cute. I am glad to hear that you will buy some. Dont forget to go in and like us on facebook !

42. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Here comes a metal textures. There will be loads of theese later on.

Attached Files:

43. RaskVann

RaskVann

This has a lot of personality considering it's simple metal. Keep up the good work (and I'm sure your tired of hearing this) any additional updates on progressing textures or website?

44. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thanks man !,

About the homepage i think it will be up tonight. The reason why this has taken forever is becouse of the old programmer. What should have taken "a couple of days" became almost a month. Then for some mysterious reason he just refuse to answer the Phone/mail/facebook. Just completely gone underground. Luckely for me Sehlor here on Unity forums reached his helping hand and built the entire sire FROM SCRATCH - again ! . What took the last programmer a month Sehlor did in 3 days. I am using a webhost instead of a ftp server now to (wich is good becouse the ftp server had terrible uptime). It really should be up soon !

About the textures i just feel embarressed. I has been so much worrying about the page that my inspiration has just gone out the window. I really feel like i have let some people down here. Hopefully when its fixed and my soul can relax some more i ca start to deliver again.
    Stay tuned !

45. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

I am super happy to announce that www.handpaintedtextures.com is finally up ! . At the moment you guys can only buy textures. We are working fulltime on this and more stuff will be up in a couple of days. I cannot begin to tell you how important your feedback and support is right now. It would mean alot to us if you would take the time to do all the "likes" and send us your feedback throught mail. Also I want everyone in here to thank Sehlor who did a fantastic job putting the site together ! If it werent for him the site wouldn't be alive at all. Right now you can purchase textures with Visa/Mastercard (via Payson). Integration with Paypal is comming soon !

And thank you everyone in here for your support and kind words !

Kindly // Jimmy

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  46. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi Jimmy,

I tried to buy the 'Grass 1' texture but when checking out via Payson it keeps giving me the error message 'Incorrect card number'. Any ideas on how to proceed?

edit: I should mention that checked, double checked and triple checked my card information and it was most definitely typed in correctly. I have used it to buy all sorts of stuff on the internet and have never had a problem with it.

Love the textures by the way, any chance of a water one in the near future? These would go perfect in a project I am working on but to switch over to them I will need some sort of water texture!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
  47. RaskVann

RaskVann

Awesome and congrats. Assets and any bundles you might have are blank though, no teasers? Also I haven't dealt with Payson before, how does it handle conversions from different currencies?

Waiting for the bundle deal ^_^

48. Sehlor

Sehlor

Hello Guys,

A few technical details;

- If you have problems entering the website [Under Construction] try: http://handpaintedtextures.com/
    - If you still have problems, try flush your dns settings. [cmd -> "ipconfig -flushdns"]
    - Payment/Checkout, i dealt with payson before for once when it have version 1.1 it worked well, but when i try to checkout now it gives me same error too, i'm gonna integrate paypal payment tomorrow, keep following.
    - Assets section is closed for now, it should be up very soon. And Bundles section.

P.S: All Transactions Between our site and payson recorded to our database, so don't worry, if you pay and had some trouble, we record everything :)

Regards.

49. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Okay here are some updates:

1. Visa mastercard is only supported throught European cards. ( it has to do with the laws outside europe are completely different. centracore you probably got that error message becouse of that.

2. Paypal will get integrated soon as possible.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  50. Origin

Origin

Hello Jimmy. I have a question regarding your store. Is this meant to be your own personal store, or do you plan to allow others to sell hand painted textures there as well? I might be interested in painting some textures in my free time, and potentially sell on your store, if you have plans to allow others to sell as well.

I think it could be a great repository for painted textures.

Anyway, good luck. And nice texture collection so far.