Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Handpainted texture pack - how much whould it be worth to you ?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jimmy livefjord, Jan 17, 2012.

1. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hi everyone.

I am a freelance Environment artist from Sweden who are thinking about releasing a handpainted texture pack with 50 pieces of 512 * 512 textures. I am trying to figure out how much i should charge for it. I have attached a sample to show you what quality you can expect at minimum - probably a bit higher. Every texture will be different and i will try to cover everything so that you have the basic textures for starting your game.

What would you consider to be a fair price for this ?

you can look at some other texture work i have done on my portfolio page: http://jimmylivefjord.carbonmade.com/

Thanks alot // Jimmy

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. andorov

andorov

3. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

I'd say around $50-75 for 50 hand painted textures. A lot of work goes into them so I don't think we can argue much about that. Don't sell yourself too cheap.

4. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thanks alot guys, good starting point.

5. ArenMook

ArenMook

6. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Oh and i forgot, please leave sugestions here on what kind of textures you whould like to see in the pack. I am not finnished with it yet so there is still time for me to include your wishes ! i added this yesterday too. moore comming up today. all of the new textures that i am adding are not final so please leave critisism so i have time to brush them up a bit.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  7. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

New texture

8. Korok

Korok

Very nice textures <3

9. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thank you korok, iam uploading two more tomorrow. Let me know if you have any suggestion you want in the texture pack ,

kindly //jimmy

10. RaskVann

RaskVann

Looks pretty good, very nice work overall. A number of questions though. Are you planning to stick with the 512x512 for all of them to keep it standard or is there going to be any variance for bigger/smaller objects? Are you including a alpha channel for pre-baked bump-mapping for any/all of them (no idea what the results would be so this might actually be more of a hindrance depending on the aesthetic)? Are you attempting to stick with any particular color palette (light/dark, pastels etc.)? Are you keeping them all to the same theme of medieval stone/wood/metal era? What percentage do you plan on being tile-able? Have you played with mixing any shaders with the pack with any interesting results/do you recommend them used with anything in particular?

Other then wall/ceiling/floor textures are there any others in the pack (stairs, pillars, doors or others functional or for decoration)? A license of any kind come with the purchase (I assume we can sell a game with the textures in it), credit needed, other restrictions?

Still not sure if these would fit the theme I'm going for but I really like your work. Would appreciate any information going forward as well ^_^.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  11. Alienchild

Alienchild

I'd shell out $50 for a 50-pack easily, but only if I knew that more textures of the same type are coming. The reason is, I cannot finish a game with 50 textures (even if I edited and made my own variations of them), because sometimes I'll get to a type of environment that none of the textures will fit for. So, the more 50-packs you create the larger the chance that you sell more of them. Maybe even group them in packs; "Dungeon Pack", "Dark Woods Pack", "Town Pack" and so on.

12. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey Raskvann. For now the texture will be in similar size, But i am planning to to the same textures with more of everything. Remember if the size is ti big you can shrink down the texrtures to 256 and tile it 4 times more,it will still look good. Alpha channel will be added on some objects that needs it. I will never do bumpmapping this will only contain the diffuse texture. you could easily fix this yourself by using softwares like NDO. All textures is fantasy texture so the style will be fantasy right throught, however the pack will include
    som metal/machine textures but only thoose kind of stuff that feels natural in a fantasy world. Almost all the textures will be tileable, maybe 40 / 50, I will create a couple of different textures with alpha,lists cloth (hanging over market) and some texture that demand some basic uv but will be used in a game for sure. A box texture will be included aswell. Stairs,pillars,carpets,and walls with fake depth will be included.
    I have not designed theese with any shader at all in mind. The only restricions i have is to not copy these and sell yourself. My name in the game whould be nice to. Also if you want anything in future packages you can send me a description and i will try to include it.

thanks man !

13. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

wood floor tile, one version will nails in the end will come to. also hayroof on the way. Keep in mind that most of this texture will become much more brushed before the final release, i am trying the mopst out of my few hours of work now so 2-3 hours /texture is what i do at the moment.

14. Alienchild

Alienchild

Looks quite promising, I have this page bookmarked :)

15. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

great ! , do you have any type of textures you would like to see ?

16. TouchSoft

TouchSoft

Looking good! It would be nice to start the first pack with terrain textures. Grassy, rocky, sand, snow, mountain, roads, etc.

Have a rocks and cliff pack, maybe walls, roofs, and metals pack too.

17. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thanks alot, Yes all those are planned and on the way. As you say a foundation to the entire world seems important since this is a start kit. I will do much more textures after this one aswell. I will update more images as soon as i get them done.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  18. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

update on first stone and a hay texture (basic)

19. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

okay some more textures.The roof will not look like this in the end, it will have more colors and better values. stoneground,grass,tree comming after this.

20. p6r

p6r

Hi Jimmy,

Great textures... I love this kind of handpainted textures !

Here you can see a screenshot on a quick maze I just have made to test Tidy Tile Mapper. Your wall texture is perfect for that :
    (Don't worry, it's just for tests !)

I would like : bark (tree) textures, foliage textures, water textures, skies textures,...
    + roads and so on as another visitor said...

6R

21. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

i am working on a bark texture right now, next thing comming up. i would love to do several different type of tree textures later. There is just so much to cover. I am glad to see you try out the textures feel free to test with everything you see here.

Kindly // Jimmy

22. p6r

p6r

Thanks...

Your pictures in your portfolio are wonderful !
    I love the house...

6R

23. alfred87

alfred87

Hey!
    is it out for sell right now? cause it looks Awsome and realy wanna buy it.
    if its out where can i buy it. and hoow much does it cost. and how to i pay?
    you got amezing skills!

BTW im from sweden too :)

(sorry if i post thise in wrong place :p )

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  24. hjupter

hjupter

25. alfred87

alfred87

Oh. and the texture you put on thise forum. Are they free or does they come with when you pay?

26. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Tja alfred ! Thanks alot man, it will be out soon i am working my but off , to little time as usual ;) please let ne know if there are some kind of textures you whould like to see included in the texture pack, vi hörs !

27. TheCasual

TheCasual

Hmm im not sure if it was intentional or not ... but if those textures on this post are from your sellable package , you may want to watermark them up?

Seems to be alot of people that dun mind rippin people stuff any chance they get.

Nice stuff for sure.

28. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Nothing is free here but if you want to test theese in your project thats fine. I am trying to be as humble as i possible can, please buy them later if you like them.

29. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

You are right, but i think that people have the right to see what quality the textures holds as a minimum (theese arent brushed up properly yet). But you are right, maybe i should take it cool for awhile.

30. DavidB

DavidB

It's great that you are showing the textures as it generates hype for a really cool looking package, I think willc just meant to put a watermark on them for instance your name in somewhat of a transparent text. That way you can see the texture and test it, but it's obviously watermarked and can be identified if used without purchasing the pack etc.

Great work by the way, I'm definitely considering picking this one up. Any chance you can include a rock/cave sort of texture? :D

31. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey man,

I will do the watermark in the future, yes caves will be included ( rockwall) tree bark,grassgrpund ,dirtground and so on. Thanks alot !

32. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Nice textures! In my opinion there no place to use camera made natural textures on more or less cartoon models (almost all 3d models actually). This is not works well. :)

33. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

34. Schnelle

Schnelle

Jimmy, I really enjoy this type of art style and your work is great! Looking forward to the release of this.

35. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thank you very much, and let me know if you have any wiches. // jimmy

36. Drakelasterz

Drakelasterz

Damn awesome textures, Jimmy! Why don't you provide a Mega Pack for $99-$199. Please

37. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

thank you, what would you consider to be a megapack ?

38. Hans

Hans

100 + textures

nice work Jimmy

39. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thanks for that info. I takes alot of time painting theese so i think i will start with a 50 texturespack. The price will be 75 dollars. it will probably be around 150 textures in total (variations of those 50 will be included like nails in some floor,color variations and so on), but 50 original so to speak. It really depends on the feedback i get. If people really buy this and support it i will be making alot more texture packages in the future. I think also i will start to make assets like modular houses. but thats for later. thanks !

40. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

here comes a tree with the latest texture. alot of work left on the texture still.this texture will be in two parts one texture for tiling (the one thats displayed on the entire tree) and then a bottom piece that have roots going into the ground.

Attached Files:

41. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

Jimmy, they look briliant!

I'll certainly get this pack. A few suggestions:

* Cliff textures (gray rock)
    * Mountain textures (yellow rock, for desert scene's)
    * Grass
    * Sand
    * Mud
    * Hedge
    * Autumn Forrest Floor (with leaves on it)
    * Steel plates
    * Glass

Ow, and make a couple of different versions, if you're not already doing that :)

I'd pay 50-60$ for the pack.

When would you think you're finished?

Great work, keep on going!

42. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

Ow, and while you're at it, maybe also some skyboxes? :p Nice cartoonstyle skyboxes are very scarce to come by!

43. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey Thomas, You came with some good texture suggestions. Most on you wishlist i have written upp already. Skyboxes will not be made in this one. But i will look into that in the future. Its a lot of work left still. i will let you know when i am getting closer.

thanks alot man !

44. RaskVann

RaskVann

Variations? Cool, I like it. I'll continue to keep an eye on this one. Keep up the great work Jimmy. Will showcasing the pack at the end be done with watermarked pics, trailer, demo scene or some other method? Or are you not worrying about that just yet?

45. Mechanoxx

Mechanoxx

I would pay up to 100$ for 50 textures of this quality.

46. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

I havent thought about that yet but i will have a preview of all the textures and variations for sure. Some textures really needs to be put on 3d models in order to look right (this tree texture is a good example). Thanks man !

47. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thank you. I will sell it for 75 usd actually. I am glad you like it.

48. Drakelasterz

Drakelasterz

$100 for only 50 textures is too much. That will make it unaffordable to a majority :( Don't listen to him, Jimmy

49. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

75 usd is the price thats a promise.

50. Drakelasterz

Drakelasterz

That sounds great. Now here's my wishlist:
    Wood, Snow, Brick, Leaf, Grass, Tree, Autumn, Water, Pipes, Rust, Street, Paper, Grunge, Sky, Clouds, Glass, and the list continues ...