Search Unity

Flash terrain workaround

Discussion in 'Flash' started by Deleted User, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

As I mentioned in my work in progress thread, my texturing shader works quite happily with meshes and splatmaps in the style of Unity's built in terrain. In its fallback mode, it performs simple blending without all the bells and whistles, just like Unity terrain, and it works in Flash. At the moment Unity's terrain system doesn't work with a flash target. If I wrote a script to export the Unity terrain as an obj and a splatmap, so the user could export, decimate in an external program like MeshLab, then reimport and use with my shader, would that be breaking any of Unity Technologies' rules? Maybe if I put a line in the EULA saying that any such objs can only be used in Unity after processing?

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Why would you think this breaks any rules?

I'm pretty sure people have already created and shared Terrain exporters. And if you can't find one then I have one I can share if you want to save some time.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Because it would allow someone to build a terrain in Unity and then use it in another engine - some companies place restrictions on the use of assets built with their software. As Unity lets people use the assets from their example projects in their own Unity projects, I doubted that they'd mind, but I thought I'd better ask first!

4. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

It's perfectly fine... go ahead ;-)

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

6. expertvision

expertvision

@ aNTeNNa trEE , pls share a good terrain exporter here :D