Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

PVRTexTool error when importing textures.

Discussion in 'Developer Preview Archive' started by lgaliber, Jan 11, 2012.

1. lgaliber

lgaliber

When overriding for iPhone on the texture import settings, and specifying any PVR compression, I get the following error in the console:

"Failed to execute /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Tools/PVRTexTool"

And the imported texture cached is corrupted. I haven't seen any mention of this anywhere, so I assume I'm doing something wrong. I've tried to use PVR compression in two projects that have been upgraded to 3.5, but both exhibit the error. Can anyone shed some light?

2. DamienSturdy

DamienSturdy

Did you get this resolved? I am getting this exact problem.

I've been using 3.5 just fine for a week or so, but after building a web player and switching back to iOS build I get this exact issue. Note that I've only recently (over the last couple of days) overridden texture compression.

3. DamienSturdy

DamienSturdy

Bug fix:

OK, To fix this, you need to register on the imgtec website (free and quick) then download the PVRTexTool.

http://www.imgtec.com/downloadconfirmation.asp?Utility=PVRTexTool&Title=PVRTexTool

Extract the osX PVRTexTool from the PVRTexToolCL folder.

Next, go into your Applications directory, right-click on Unity and select "View Package Contents", Click through to the tools directory (follow the path in the error message) and now, replace the PVRTexTool file in here with the one you downloaded and extracted.

You will need to reimport all for the texture issues to resolve them, but once this is done your corrupt textures and import failures will no longer be a problem :)

4. Pigghaj

Pigghaj

I have the same problem. I downloaded the PVRTexTool, replaced the file, but I still have the same issue.

Cygnus: Did you do something else except replacing the file? I tried starting a completely new project too, but the first texture I import fails immediately...:(

5. Pigghaj

Pigghaj

And if someone else has this problem, here is how I solved it.

The problem was not with Unity or PVRTextTool, but with my OSX. Apparently I was missing the X11 addon that is required for PVRTexTool. After installing X11 from the Snow Leopard DVD compression now works as it should within Unity.

So if anyone else runs into this problem, check your utilities folder. If you dont have "X11" visible there, thats probably it.

6. Jessy

Jessy

7. goodhustle

goodhustle

8. goodhustle

goodhustle

Yep, reproducible. I sent a sample in to Unity, case #453370.

9. nsiomos

nsiomos

I updated from Unity 3.4 to 3.5 and just got this annoying error. Getting XQuartz or the newest PVRTexTool didn't solve the problem for me. What helped however was replacing the PVRTexTool within the unity 3.5 package with the version from the 3.4 package...

10. goodhustle

goodhustle

It sounds more stable, but I imagine that this won't include all of the PowerVR SDK improvements that they're probably relying upon in 3.5. So I would hope they don't just revert the PVRTexTool back to 3.4...

11. alamatula

alamatula

I'm also experiencing this problem and none of the solutions above resolve my problem. Where can i get the PVRTexTool that is in Unity 3.4 as i don't have it anymore?

Thanks

12. willrmiller

willrmiller

Bump. I'm having the same problem. When I updated to Unity 3.5.1, the PVRTexTool stopped working. I tried installing QuartzX, and I also tried downloading the latest version of PVRTexTool from imgtec.com and replacing the version in the Unity application bundle with it.

13. Foxxis

Foxxis

Yep - got this too after upgrading from 3.4->3.5.1.
    Very surprised by this. Surely this bug must affect loads of users? Submitted a bug report on the issue.

14. willrmiller

willrmiller

I've noticed that I can execute PVRTexTool that lives in the Unity application bundle just fine via the terminal. The application itself seems fine.

15. Foxxis

Foxxis

After looking into it some more:
    I run 10.6.8 and do have X11 installed. The release notes for 3.5.1 states that they upgraded the PVRTexTool, so something in that must have broken compatibility with my setup.
    The fix of replacing the 3.5.1 too with the one in 3.4 works for me too, but it is a quick fix as I don't want to rely on an old version. Has someone tried replacing the Snow Leopard bundled X11 with XQuartz? If so, does it solve the issue?

I hope someone from Unity chimes in here, preferably with something else than Upgrade to Lion... :)

16. alamatula

alamatula

I've tried XQuartz and still the same.
    Still nothing from Unity... :(

17. Foxxis

Foxxis

Does anyone know if this is exclusively a Snow Leopard issue? Does this happen under Lion?

18. CeeBee

CeeBee

It's happening to me in Lion 10.7.3
    It happened after I hit "Reimport All Textures". :confused:

19. Foxxis

Foxxis

Quickfix appears to be to replace the 3.5.x tool with the one from 3.4.2. Worked well for me (see further up for details).
    Unity should comment on this. Has anyone received a reply to a bug report...? I haven't yet.

20. willrmiller

willrmiller

I submitted a bug report. Bug #458776

EDIT: Can anyone link me to the version of the PVRTexTool found in Unity 3.4? I don' have the 3.4 installer anymore.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  21. alamatula

alamatula

Yep the version from 3.4 would be handy cause i also don't have it. I believe it's PVRTexTool 3.11

Cheers

22. alamatula

alamatula

If you open the PVRTexTool that comes with Unity 3.5 you'll find inside 2 version, one for x86 and one for x64. If you extract that and rename again to PVRTexTool you be able to run the new version. I think the engine is still trying to call a command to the old version instead of the new.
    Hope Unity fix it in the next version.

Cheers