Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Visual Procedural Texture Editor

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Jasper-Flick, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Jasper-Flick

Jasper-Flick

I added a new terrain demo. It's both a demonstration of NumberFlow and what you can do with a single 64x64 texture.

$terrain-demo.png

What's new for this one is that the texture is generated by two sequenced diagrams. The first generates a height field with some Perlin noise, while the second uses the heights to compute a normal map. Most of the work was finding a way to switch from using a texture to providing a Color array at run time. Then I had too much fun playing with the shader.

Give it a spin!

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  2. Jasper-Flick

Jasper-Flick

Coding is practically done, though I might still move some stuff around and clean up some more. I'm currently working on the documentation. This will take some more days, and then it needs to be submitted to the asset store. If all goes well, the release will be next week.

3. Jasper-Flick

Jasper-Flick

Code documentation of the libraries is done, but I still need to document the example projects better.

I've also written the first part of the online documentation, "your first diagram". You can already read it here.

4. Jasper-Flick

Jasper-Flick

The initial version of the NumberFlow documentation is done, from creating your first diagram to adding custom nodes. I'll flesh it out more later. Still need to put the API online and insert links to it, though.
    The package is also going to include a Utils library that contains a frame rate counter and a Math library that contains the noise functions. Still need to write documentation for those.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  5. Jasper-Flick

Jasper-Flick

Here's the diagram I'm going to use for the background in the store.

$shop-large-diagram.png

6. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Can you link to a higher res image?

7. Jasper-Flick

Jasper-Flick

@QuantumTheory: Sure. The diagram does quite a few things. It could be split up, but it's fun to design it in one go.
    You can open the image on its own to see it at full size.

$shop-large-diagram-higher-res.png

8. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Thanks! It looks very flexible, but what noises are supported?

9. Jasper-Flick

Jasper-Flick

@QuantumTheory: It comes included with improved 3D Perlin noise. Multi-frequency, turbulence, and tiling in up to three dimensions. The noise functions are bundled in their own library, which you can use in your own code as well. I just happened to put the documentation for it online, here. The code docs aren't online yet.

If there's demand for other noise I might add that as well, or you could add it yourself as a custom node.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  10. exiguous

exiguous

just want to let you know that this is a definite purchase for me and that i'm waiting "desperately" ;).

just want to ask why you use perlin and not simplex noise as this is faster and creates "better" noise?

11. Jasper-Flick

Jasper-Flick

@exiguous: Great! It's been in the hands of the asset store team since yesterday. So expect it to take a few more business days.

Simplex noise is patented, currently assigned to Nokia. So I don't use Simplex noise and certainly won't sell an implementation of it.
    3D improved Perlin noise typically works fine and is not encumbered. Only at higher dimensions does Simplex noise seriously outperform it.

12. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

This looks neat, looking forward to seeing it on the store.

13. Jasper-Flick

Jasper-Flick

14. Jasper-Flick

Jasper-Flick

NumberFlow has just been released on the Asset Store!
    10$ per seat introductory price!​

Go grab it!
    Enjoy it!
    Make something awesome!
    Give it a review with some nice stars!
    And let me know if you encounter any difficulties.

(This is your exclusive early warning. I'll do proper announcements after I had some sleep.)​

15. exiguous

exiguous

i cannot buy it because it requires unity 4.3.i find it very annoying to update unity for purchasing a single asset. so if your package does not require 4.3 functionality please consider uploading it with an older unity version to extend the customer range. otherwise i have to wait with purchase. also you can complain with UT as this is a general problem. i purchase a licence and this should not be tied to a certain software version. so they should let me buy regardless what version i have installed. a warning that i may not be able to use it NOW should be enough.

and before voices arise that i could update its free i have read about some serious bugs in 4.3. introducing problems in previously working parts. and its still a hazzle what costs time so i don't do it without reason (features). and purchasing assets is no reason for me.

sorry for the rant and the derail. just want to let you know that this is still an issue for some users.

16. Jasper-Flick

Jasper-Flick

@exiguous: I will make you happy! I just submitted an update from Unity 4.2.2, which should lower the required version.

17. exiguous

exiguous

albeit i apreciate your efforts it does not make me happy as i have 4.2.1. installed ;). and also you should not do it solely for me but for all customers who have not installed the latest version (which is just a few days old). when your package require the features of a specific version then there is no way around. but when it does not matter you should create the package with the oldest version you can find. unfortunately UT does not reveal the fraction of the installed versions (at least not that i'm aware of) but i assume that > 50% of people have not yet installed 4.3. and thus you lower your potential customers significantly (without gain anything). from what i read there are still some people using 3.5.7. .
    i have complained about this issue several times now and i don't know why UT handles it like this. maybe to "force" people to update. or to avoid reclamations because of not working packages. but when i purchase with an actual version and the package is updated with a newer version i have still the same issue. so in my opinion i should be able to purchase anyway and decide myself when to install the package (when i have upgraded). its just a matter of convenience that the provider complies after the requirements of the customer instead of other way round like it is now.

i hope you understand that and if you cannot or want not to version down its not an issue for me. i purchase your package anyway once i have made an update of unity. but i don't see why i should make an update every few weeks just to purchase in the asset store.

18. Jasper-Flick

Jasper-Flick

@exiguous: You enumerate the reasons I support 4.2.2 quite well. NumberFlow was developed mostly with that version. That I submitted it with 4.3 was just a mistake on my part. By now people with 4.2.2 can buy it from the asset store.

I am sorry that I fall 0.0.1 short of making you happy right now, but I'll stick to the end of the 4.2.x era and am not going to regress further. It might work just fine with 4.2.1 though, just no guarantees. One thing you could do, in general, is have an additional Unity install with the latest version. That way you can at least buy anything.

On a general note, I have now started a NumberFlow topic on the Assets and Asset Store subforum, superseding this one.

19. im

im

very nice cant wait to see it in the unity asset store!

20. Jasper-Flick

Jasper-Flick

@im: Your waiting is over! You can see it here in the asset store, and here is the asset forum.