Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Euphonic: MMORPG

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by stevend, Jan 7, 2012.

1. stevend

stevend

I am designing a MMORPG using unity called Euphonic.

The client is windows based, you can log on, run around with others, and log off.

Currently i am at the point where i have a working master server, and client, using c# sockets.

I will be working on this very much over the course of the next little while, adding seperate zones, finishing levels, and integrating the actual game play elements of a RPG.

If anybody would like to test the client server architecture, you can visit my website

http://confined.coderzilla.net

and you can download the launcher from the downloads area. the launcher is a small c# app that will simply point you towards the latest version of the client.

note: the launcher redirects you to the latest .RAR compressed library containing the up to date client.

Please let me know what you guys think thus far.

Please play in fullscreen for better gameplay and less choppy-ness

Screen Shot / Video Archive:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  2. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

hmmm i opened your program clicked the launch game button and it directed me to a web page after this it made my computer have a fit :( im using windows 7 pro 64bit

3. stevend

stevend

Hey i have updated the client with a new map. Please redownload the client.rar through the updater.

the launcher should redirect your browser to a page that is really a .rar file. and archive with the game executable in it.

The game server may not have been running, as i did not think anybody would be testing it yet.

Please download the latest client through the launcher
    http://confined.coderzilla.net/

the server will be running all night for beta testers and should be up for the next week or so.

if you launch the game, can you please let me know when it is crashing if it is? can you get past the game menu?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  4. stevend

stevend

Here is a screen shot from version 0.0.3 showing two users standing beside each other.

5. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

i tried it again and it worked :D looks good but its verry laggy i get about 2 frames per second :(

6. stevend

stevend

i think it may be cause of the details ive added to the scene, going to try and cut that back. i assume you are using a high end pc? the graphics couples with lack of optimization on the server may be causing this. i will lower the amount details and upload a new copy of the client soon.

7. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

My computer isent high end atall its from 2009 :D but i think its only a server problem as when i play its just me(a skelliton) on a textured plain(maby a terrain without any detail)?

8. stevend

stevend

OLD

I have updated the client to beta test 2 of version 0.0.3

you can download the update by using the launcher provided at our website : http://confined.coderzilla.net

you can also download it directly using this link:
    http://confined.coderzilla.net/euphonic/client2.rar

In this version i have cut back on the amount of draw calls by reducing details and tree draw, and i have added some models to the game.
    I have also updated networking code to fire at different intervals in an attempt to reduce lag.

Server is now running so that people can log in and test.

thank you!

9. stevend

stevend

If lag is still experienced i would be open to suggestions. i also will continue testing on my end for different methods to stop the lag.

Please play in fullscreen for better gameplay and less choppy-ness

10. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

It works better now :D

11. stevend

stevend

I think i am going to leave a client logged on, so that if anybody comes on, they can atleast see another client, or maybe i will even see someone log on the server, and ill jump on and test with :)

12. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Ill go on now wanto meet me online?

Im getting more lag then the second time now :( i think it is something todo with how manny times it conects to the server, as if i stand still the animations and everything run fine?

Edit: did you just change it as its working better now, it feezes for like 1/10 of a second every second but other then that runs fine :D

13. stevend

stevend

i think that was you i seen :) yeah there are some small lag issues, i am ironing out :)

14. snortop

snortop

i can log, but damn does that lag.. when moving and i set it to low graph.
    Im the naked skeletor?

The movement is missing a look around whit mouse.
    The was something on the right mouse key but it only look to the side and i couldn't move around.

And diffidently need a chat

15. stevend

stevend

right click = look around, unless you mean turn the player via mouse

chat is so coming soon

i have a few ideas i need to look at to reducing the lag, it seems to stutter, as if a thread is pausing due to networking code blocking a thread. i will check out my time outs and see if i can reduce this stutter by the next beta of 0.0.3

16. stevend

stevend

Posted a video to youtube:

17. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

seems to work flawlessly now :D

18. HolBol

HolBol

Wow, for an MMO post, this actually works. Good job. Anychance you can make a mac build? Or are the servers windows-dependent?

19. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

this^^

20. stevend

stevend

Well actually the server is designed in c#. i was going to go with c++ but decided not too, because the threading/asynchronous techniques are so much easier to grasp in c#, there fore, i could finish it much faster.

I think there could probably be a mac build of the server.

i know for the client, i could just output a mac build.

i plan on having pc, mac, and linux builds of the client anyways :) thanks for the input

21. stevend

stevend

OLD
    I have updated the client to beta test 3 of version 0.0.3

you can download the update by using the launcher provided at our website :

http://confined.coderzilla.net/euphonic/client3.rar

In this version i have fixed a bug involving logging off, and changed some settings to help improve the lag issues! testing now... hopefully this helps :)

thank you!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  22. stevend

stevend

I have updated the client to beta test 4 of version 0.0.3

you can download the update by using the launcher provided at our website :

http://confined.coderzilla.net/euphonic/client4.rar

Whats new in this version??

Players names will appear above each players head, and there is now multi user chat!

thank you!

23. Trackpants

Trackpants

It seems to run well enough, but your scaling is off imo.

Your door's and windows are too large and too tall. unless the skeletons are meant to be some sort of tiny race.

24. stevend

stevend

Added screen shot of 0.0.34 features player names and chat

25. Avanger

Avanger

i send you PM

26. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

everthough of doing android,web and ios builds?

27. stevend

stevend

using sockets so far is not compatible with the web player as far as i know without having to do some extra stuff, so until i learn how to get past certain security functions designed into unity, the web build will be on hold, but i do plan on getting it working,

and for phones,
    i cannot afford a licence atm, but eventually, that would be the plan.

what's coming: I will be working on mobs, and mob AI over the next little while. when done, there should be spawn-able monsters, that will attack you on sight working with euphonic.

28. stevend

stevend

I have started doing a complete overhaul of the server.

The server will now communicate on a much more complex level, serializing classes over the network allowing much more complex packets of data to be sent.

The server also now has a mimic database server backend and collections of data can be loaded and saved to disk, searched, etc, and also allowing the manipulations of key elements of the classes to use less bandwidth.

When data is written to the disk it will be done in xml format for easy data manipulation by moderators or admins. Server software will be written for even easier manipulation.

This will launch Euphonic to the next level. I will be able to slowly integrate a mob and npc system, leading to the quest system and inventory system. with these elements done, we will have a working mmorpg engine.

Plans are to allow the scripting of events, items, and quests using the c# code interpreter allowing complex manipulation of serverside data to allow most of the gameplay elements to be coded with c#.

Any suggestions, ideas, or comments are welcome before the next release.

The server as of this post and the new client are about 50% complete.

edit: 50 % complete as in it is 50% restored to its original functionality using the new custom database system.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  29. stevend

stevend

the new build will use serialized game objects instead of a plain text protocol and should improve lag performance greatly. i know this was an issue in the old version and should be corrected with the next version. the protocol now knows the size of the packets to be sent, reducing data sent over the network where possible, and will also reduce the amount of times the networking engine client side needs to time out, waiting for extra data, and lagging the client.