Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bash The Bankers

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Johnny-Photon, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Johnny-Photon

Johnny-Photon

Hey Everyone

My wife and I have just submitted our first app for iPhone, iPad etc.
    It's a cannon shooter that starts out mostly skill based and then becomes more of a puzzler.

Please check out the web demo at http://bashthebankers.com/demo.html
    or our home page at
    http://bashthebankers.com/

We could really use some feedback.
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  2. Rastafari

Rastafari

Looks fun to play!
    To bad I dont have an Iphone , Ipad :(
    But annyway , good work!

3. mgear

mgear

could have more sounds? like banker getting hit: "uh/ouch!/nooo!" ..?
    and more powerful cannon sound etc?

not that it really matters,
    sometimes the flying coins stop the cannon balls (they collide)..

4. Johnny-Photon

Johnny-Photon

First of all, thank you both for looking at it.

FreeRunningProject, Thanks for the encouragement but I'm not clear on whether you played the free browser demo version?

mgear, interesting comment. So few people have commented on any of the audio aspects, I'm guessing you have an audio background? We were hoping to come in under the 20 MB limit for over the telecoms but we submitted a 12.5 MB file and the Apple version is 21 MB. After looking it over for the millionth time, I'm not sure we can get there even if we had the pro version of Unity. So yeah, maybe we should consider adding some more sound effects.

As for the coins, you are right but I have played the game so much I think I've learned to avoid the coins by not shooting too fast. They really are somewhat unpredictable and can just as often help you by taking out a banker. I experimented a little with having them shoot relative to the banker (instead of always up). I think it would be interesting if the player might learn to control them. We also experimented with having the bankers go "rag doll" but it raised a bunch of issues about how the bankers collide. In the end we decided it was something we would look at if there ever was a Bash The Bankers 2.

Thanks again for the feedback.

5. xzile40

xzile40

nice game, I liked the browser demo. :) needs more sound as said before, though. I understand theres a limit, but sounds in games mean a lot :/

6. AJMilsom

AJMilsom

nice concept, some decent ideas

i didnt get that the mouse had to be further away and close to change power for awhile tho

7. Johnny-Photon

Johnny-Photon

Thanks for the feedback!

I haven't had a chance to work on the sounds lately. I've been meeting with a client about using Unity in a non-game app - interesting stuff.

We had more collision sounds in it at one point but it can get annoying too. Need to do some voice for the bankers though!

@AJMilsom We say it on the 1st level but most people don't see it so I added the animated help. If you still missed it, I need an idea to make it more obvious. Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is maybe a power bar on the cannon itself.

Thanks again everyone!

8. Johnny-Photon

Johnny-Photon

Hey, if you get a chance, let me know what you think of the changes in the demo at bashthebankers.com

You will probably have to refresh it in your browser to see (hear) them.

The coins are slightly larger so they show up better on the tiny displays. This does impact the game slightly.

The sound effects have been “rebalanced” volume wise and the bankers moan and groan.

The cannon “enlongates” to indicate more power.

Thanks

9. tatelax

tatelax

Fun game! I think the graphics could be improved a little. Maybe some background music?

10. Johnny-Photon

Johnny-Photon

Thanks!

Could you be more specific about the graphics? We thought we could come in under the 20MB limit for the telecoms but I no longer think that's possible so we are thinking about improving them. The city is pretty bland I know but we didn't want it to interfere with the game play objects in the foreground.

I can't believe how many people I know who used to do music that gave it up. It could use more music, it just takes me forever to write it.

Thanks again for the feedback!

11. npsf3000

npsf3000

Do you really think you should be giving your player golden trophies? If he gets too many he might melt them down and then become interested in the financial sector...

12. Johnny-Photon

Johnny-Photon

Ha, Shhh, don't tell anyone but they are hollow and plated.

13. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Haha! Great game idea!

14. xzile40

xzile40

Nice job to the sound update. it's better than no sound, I can say that much :)

I've always wanted to shoot men only to make them groan (sorry had to say that)

haha, nice job!

15. Johnny-Photon

Johnny-Photon

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  16. Creativita

Creativita

One of the weirdest game ideas I have ever seen. But it is still fun to play and actually pretty cool

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  17. Johnny-Photon

Johnny-Photon

Thanks that's one of my favorite comments so far.
    Actually our next game will be one of the weirdest games you have seen. Now if I could just think of what it will be...

18. Arowx

Arowx

It's topical but it seems to put all the blame on the bankers all they did was get too greedy and game the system. It's our politicians that amended the rules that let them run a muck. That and the fact that our society has passed it's Oil based economic peak.

But hey it looks OK.

Why not add in some oil men, politicians, car makers, economists, lawmakers, law enforcement agencies and us for letting them.

19. Creativita

Creativita

Well you seem to have a knack for it. It will come to you

20. Johnny-Photon

Johnny-Photon

I can't agree more. Except maybe about the car makers, the point about evil bankers is that now we have a new enemy in games it's no longer just zombies, mad scientist, and such, the thing is a new enemy has come into existence. It's an enemy that's completely new and novel to the game experience. I'm an actual scientist and yet I'm OK with being a mad scientist.

21. Lo0NuhtiK

Lo0NuhtiK

I'm playing your demo right now for the first time, just finished level 16, and I think this coin thing is a great idea. The vertical coins just knocked some bankers over for me a few levels ago, and I had the same thought ; of trying to use them to knock more bankers over. In another level I actually tried using the coins for a ricochet-point of my cannonball, didn't work, but it probably "could" if I hit the bottom of them just right. ... Anyway, fun game! .. The bankers look like Bill Clinton lol

22. Johnny-Photon

Johnny-Photon

We made the coins slightly bigger so they would show up better on the small displays. We haven't posted the new version to Apple yet but it's in the web demo. Actually they were even slightly bigger than that but I felt it changed the game too much.

They look like a lot of politicians, overweight and grey hair. I always thought he looked a little like George Bush! ha!