Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing around

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Jonathan Czeck, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Very fun :)

The snow looks a little goofy in the scene currently but it'll be around for now. It was really easy to make. I started with a default particle system, then added some forces, set the texture to the included smoke, changed blending mode, and altered the ellipsoid size and things like the number of particles. Then I just made it track the camera. Works really well.

Gonna try Duck Hunt type thing.

-Jon

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Cool. Thanks for posting the first unity screenshot!
    I hope it will inspire the other beta testers as well.

We used the same particle system technique technique for the dust in gooball.

3. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~czec0035/jank/Gazoopio.app.tar.bz2

8 Megabytes.

Just use WASD, Space, and Mouse look to move around and bump balls. I'm working on adding a lighting effect with sound effect.

I had trouble with audio, so I took it out. I put a microphone GO linked to the main camera. Then I put a rain sound source linked to the camera, and put some humming sounds on one of the balls. The audio pops a lot when you move and turn around. I tried tweaking settings in the Audio Manager, but I probably overlooked something. I tried aiff and ogg, but I doubt if the issue has anything to do with that.

Also, the rain effect is kind of weird when you are looking upwards. I'm not sure what I should do about that.

It'd be fun to make the main character a dog complete with woofing and have him herd hamsters rolling around in their exercise balls. :)

Still just playing around.

edit: screenshot:

-Jon[/img]

4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Cool stuff, actually fun to bump those balls.

*** The audio system is a bit broken right now.

A few things to know until we fix it proper for version 1.0

Stereo audioclips don't play with attenuation or panning. They are just played as is.
    Mono sounds have 3d sound but there are few bugs right now which make it sound wrong.

You always need to have one audio listener in a scene. Attaching it to the camera makes most sense.

For gooball we used stereo only sounds.
    We will fix this for unity 1.0

5. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

I'm working on my modeling skills lately. The tree turned out pretty well I think. (Don't laugh all you OTEE art gods :) )

I was very plesantly surprised to see that beta 5 can read Blender scenes natively. It was a total pain in the butt in beta 4 to export everything to obj from Blender, and then to 3ds in Cheetah 3D, and then vertically flip all the textures. :eek:

Soon I'll be able to put some more time into this and get a game going. I'm growing tired of fiddling without any long term progress. :)

Looking forward to 3d audio . . .
    -Jon

6. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Catapults on cars make for some really interesting gameplay. :) Can whack things with them.. . like bananas :)

-Jon

7. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

The dragon fire looks cool, are you using the the particle collider?

Would love to see a demo of that catapult car.

8. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Holy S***! That looks great...

Keep 'em coming - makes it feel all worthwhile...

\n

9. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Yeah, I was using the particle collider, which is pretty awesome. I'll have to be pretty clever about using it, like by using a better flame texture so I can have less particles, because it's really expensive. :)

Soon I hope to have more to show.

Cheers,
    -Jonathan

10. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Last night there was a little impromptu 4 hour game development contest on the #idevgames IRC channel.

I spent about 3 hours on it, and my friend put in about 2 in Blender. Most of it was asset generation, unfortunately. Started with a blank Unity project. I was actually disappointed it didn't turn out better. It's so hard to make assets that fast! :)

Here's the forum thread:
    http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9282

And my link:
    http://www.tc.umn.edu/~czec0035/Zarmaht Charren.bz2

A screenshot:

I'll post a web player later, maybe.

Sorry it looks so bad.. . I ran out of time :D Was going to make some Indiana Jones style falling boulders, and planks you had to push over rifts to make it across. . . but ran out of time

All in all it was a load of fun to be working under such a short clock, and it seemed to have gotten a few people pretty interested in Unity. :)

After 1.0 we should have a little mini contest here. . . but maybe make it a few days or a week long instead. :)

Cheers,
    -Jon

11. jamie

jamie

Nothing too special here, I had just been messing with beta 8 and following along with the fine tutorial that it now comes with when I had the idea

"wouldn't it be cool to rotate the playing board to move the balls instead of using the FPS move script"

well a few minutes later after picking at the RotateWithInput.js and ScaleWithInput.js scripts I had written my own Rotate with keyboard script and got my idea working.

It's so very cool when things actually work the way you want them too! :)

12. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Small req:

When you write about a new game, please start separate threads ;-)

Good hack, though...

13. jamie

jamie

No problem, if you want to move this to a new thread, feel free.

14. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Makes me all mooshy to see people doing stuff with Unity. Good luck with developing it further, and do keep us posted.

d.

15. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Wow that stuff looks so cool. I hope one of these days I can find some people and the knowledge to make a cool game in unity. Been waiting for it for a long time, and love seeng you guy's work. Jeff

16. PhilipSearcy

PhilipSearcy

Hey guys - I could work with you.