Search Unity

Movie as intro with Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by rapidrunner, Jul 7, 2008.

1. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Hi all

I am trying to start a project in unity, with an intro, then move on a main screen where the usual stuff is on it (new game, load, prefs, etc), and then move on the main game.

Is there any tutorial that shows how to do transitions like that? i haven't found anything that could be applied to my needs on the docs and on the forum, so i wonder if someone knows if there is a way to do so (i am sure there is :D)

I have a FMV that will be the introduction to my game, made in QT from a rendered movie in maya; and i would like to see it before that the game starts and the main screen is shown.

Any clue or idea? Thanks a lot!

2. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

You will be writing a script that does this. Have you scripted before?

Check out:

file:///Applications/Unity/Documentation/ScriptReference/MovieTexture.html
    file:///Applications/Unity/Documentation/ScriptReference/WaitForSeconds.html

3. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Thanks a lot :)

to answer your question: nope, i never scripted, only coded in C++ or VB6; so this entire thing with JS and C# is new to me, but i am trying to get into it and learn :)

BTW this feature is a PRO feature? or is also present in the INDIE version?

4. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Yeah I think movies are pro only.

5. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

so i am stuck in the same position....there is no way to do it without using pro?

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

play an animated image strip and try to get the sound in sync with it if you have sound. thats the alternative ...

7. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

heh; this goes against the simplicity that the engine shows...i am getting too spoiled :p

Another solution is to create an app that shows the fmv and then loads the compiled unity app...in this way the problem is solved, but the solution is ugly.