Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Small WIPs that do not need their own thread (2012)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cupsster, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Very nice.

2. DavidB

DavidB

Wow nice job, you def nailed the colour. Perhaps a bit of texture and you'll be right on the money. I'll have to check this book out at some point, it looks interesting. Thanks for the heads up :D

3. hjupter

hjupter

Some screenshots of my game :) , there is playable version on the website www.ninjapvp.com

4. ivanzu

ivanzu

Not bad for mouse and keyboard.You should buy a tablet if you don't have the money for Wacom or you don't use them very often go for genius they are not too bad at least mine works pretty good.

5. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Everyone needs to chill there nips ^_^ Haha. thanks for the crit eric, harsher the better.. Im literally just experimenting with art styles, I do to prefer the pixel art, but Ill continue and keep my options open.

Thanks for all the freedback guys :) will be finalizing the pixel art one when im back from holiday and also start another vector one. Hoping I don't fall off the edge of the mountain :D

I'd like it if Unity folk started being more critique, for example, my latest project I wanted to do 'C-Snake'. Got no critism on that at all, all I got was 'Looks good' when in fact It looked like S***e. ^_^ Best to knock people down building them up on false feedback.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  6. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

Thanks. To clarify, what I meant with "hit-and-miss" was that some of your game assets and art are really good, and I mean REALLY good. Some of it isn't up to par with your best stuff, however, and it would be a shame to see that stuff bring your portfolio down when there's so much good stuff in there (The planes, for example, your logos and the art direction for POH!). I'm by no means an expert and I'm not better than you at this stuff, but yeah.

7. Duskling

Duskling

Most of those were just prototypes, but the mining game I would really love to expand upon.

I make alot of little games, but after all of them I usually get better things that I would like to expand upon more.

But I will probably expand that cave/miner game. But I was held back because of my current skill. Perhaps I will go back when I learn some more.

8. bgivenb

bgivenb

im just posting so this thread doesn't have 666 posts :)

oh and nice art direction hjupter. If I may give one crit, it is that your ground textures aren't scaled to your grass, and your colors are too random (look at the grass blades and the tree green), but that should be pretty easy to fix.

Thanks for the tip ivanzu I'm looking around for a good tablet, so ill check out your recommendations.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  9. solid

solid

Did a simple QuickSculpt to test out topology and mapbaking for a upcoming project of mine.
    Just texture and normals, gonna check with specmaps later if i get time, but i think it could work without. around 1000 tris.

Had issues earlier with specmap cause of the low bit. looks like speckle and dots :(

10. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Some nice stuff there! WoW!

11. hjupter

hjupter

Thank you =) , you can try an old playable version of the game here http://www.ninjapvp.com/game

12. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Progress on the non physics platform controller, thought I'd add it to this thread as bit hard to tell theres a new video by looking at the main thread :)

Video quality is a bit average, much smoother on screen or on device.

*Note that the tiles are from Lost Garden not from me. I'm showing the controller not the art :)

13. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Looks great :) May i ask why you made it not physics based?

14. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

It's extremely difficult to get accurate platform behaviour using the physics system. You basically end up writing exceptions for every new behaviour.

15. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Yes, in general character controllers are not physics based. The main exceptions are for flight or space sims... But for "characters" like 3rd person, FPS or platformers - avoid physics. Look into the stock character controllers from Unity and you will see they are all non-physics based. They *simulate* physics with gravity and other effects, but are not being worked upon by the physics engine.

16. isotakis

isotakis

Tyvm for the answer! I'll take those comments in consideration, especially the dark part, it is problematic as it does hide a lot of details! I'll defenetly work on those plants! ty again! :)

17. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I'm really really really really really loving this!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

18. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

It's been a while since I posted here.Here's something on which I'm working on(fireplaces).I'll submit them to the Asset Store in a week or two along with other stuff(braziers,torches)...anything fire related.Would you be interested in buying a pack with fire-related stuff?

Textures on these models are Work in Progress(placeholders).

Also,any other suggestion on what I should make(related to the model pack,of course!) :D

Every model is under 350 tris...guess that low-poly?

19. fivearchers

fivearchers

My first attempt with light probes - huge performance improvement, and it looks okay, even if I've lost some detail. A worthy trade off when dealing with splitscreens:

Notice "Q2" looks a bit dark, so I guess that means I'd need another probe in the vicinity to catch the light a bit better.

Here's the link to the fullsize screen shot.

20. ivanzu

ivanzu

WIP-New character.

Attached Files:

21. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I pulled my old project out today and dusted it off made it work(kind of) and this is the result :D its snake, but it has no challenge in it so if any one knows how i could make it challenging please tell me :) i was thinking that no part of your tail could touch another or you die but i dont know.

You can play it here

Sorry if the food spawns off of the screen :( i have yet to modify the script to take into acount screen res so it should spawn in a 20x20 space

22. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

Messing with floor pieces!

23. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Is that 3d? it looks amazing, how many poly is it?

24. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

Hey titanty, it's in zbrush, it's 4 million right now, but I'm going to decimate and create maps soon, will show again in unity.

25. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

looks very fancy! moar plz!

26. janpec

janpec

Ivanzu looks nice so far, keep it up.

27. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

*note: no robots were harmed in the making of this screenshot*

28. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I’ve still been working on my snake game... it’s got a very original name :D "Pillar Snake"

This is the latest web build; please give me feedback on if you found it hard at all and if the snake went through the pillar.

The build is here

EDIT, dose it lag on anyone elses computers?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  29. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Playable demo of the platform engine (still early stages).

Arrow keys to move, up to jump, 'r' to restart, collect the gold key then get to the door. Only 3 levels, just to give a bit of a feel for it. Last one is little more difficult than the other two. Click image to play.

$KitPlatform.png

EDIT: Moving platforms have a little wobbly artefact... not present on device :s. I guess I need to sync their movement with the amount of pixels on the screen.

30. ivanzu

ivanzu

That looks pretty good,i love the graphic style.

31. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Unfortunately (most of) the graphics aren't mine, they are from LostGarden. Just using them to demo the engine (although they are free for commercial use). Did you try the demo? Any thoughts?

32. Kona

Kona

Have lurked around here for quite some time now but never really shown anything, better late than never I suppose. :) Some early pics from a scene on the first level of my current project.

I've also made a blog that I try to keep update with the progress atleast once a week http://www.voidismyrapture.blogspot.com :)

33. ivanzu

ivanzu

The controls feel good and "natural" you should add a splash when you jump on the water.And platforms that fall when you jump on them should come to their previous position as I wouldn't like to
    the restart whole level just because I fallen from the platform.And maybe add some kind of power jump to the fox?

EDIT
    And I found a problem if you jump and hit the falling platform from the side it would fall down.

34. DavidB

DavidB

I do like the feel of the controls... the only thing I could suggest is that perhaps you could make it all a bit "faster" ? Though the speed might be completely intentional esp if this is for iOS? So again, take that suggestion with a grain of salt. Great progress though, keep us updated, would love to see where this goes.

35. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Thanks for the comments. This game is a platform puzzle game, so the behavior of the falling blocks and the reset is intentional. They fall if touched OR stood on. It makes for some cool puzzles and is inspired the winner of Ludum dare jam 22.

In the engine there are also normal falling blocks. The speed is configurable . In this case due to iOS and puzzle nature I've kept it fairly slow.

36. DavidB

DavidB

Figured as much. Definitely great progress then, keep up the great work :D

37. ivanzu

ivanzu

WIP-Character 60% Still need to makes some equipment and stuff like pockets.
    POLY-1880
    $soldierre3.jpg
    $soldierre1.jpg View attachment 30401 $soldierre2.jpg

38. janpec

janpec

Parasaurolophus. I will make green texture version of it later. 4600 polys.

39. dr.steam

dr.steam

Nice one jan!

40. dr.steam

dr.steam

Here's couple of mine.

41. dr.steam

dr.steam

42. ivanzu

ivanzu

Looks cute for a dino XD.Very good job,did you make your own brushes for that dino?
    Awesome as always!

43. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I love the lighting and the normal mapping! Great stuff!

44. janpec

janpec

Hey, no i used default brushes from Mudbox 2012.

Thx:D

@Dr.Steam nice stuff, looking forward for more.

45. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

All the links in the old posts are dead(I think).

This is my latest game Pillar Snake :D it is a modern take on one of the oldest games, it keeps some aspects of snake while adding modern parts to it the plan is to weave your way around the pillars to collect the food :D

READ: the game will only load if you are moving the mouse as it loads or else the character wont load :(

These are some of the known problems; it would be great if you could say if any of these problems occurred as you played.
    The tail spirals up and eventually hits the head.
    The tail slips through the pillars.
    The food spawns outside the sides(this is my fault sorry :()

Here it is :D

$PILLARSNAKESCREEN.png

Im going to bed but it would be great to have some feedback :D Do you think this game has potential? Ill check in in the morning.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  46. BrendanKZN

BrendanKZN

My first ever low poly model for a little game I'm working on. I can't compare to some of the amazing works I've seen here. UV mapping is a mess but I'm still learning.

47. janpec

janpec

Brendan Great model and texture looks great, all it needs is smooth modifier applied:D

48. HolBol

HolBol

Love the bear, it's got a really cool look about it. It's a little blocky, yup, but it's cool!

49. BrendanKZN

BrendanKZN

Thanks janpec Fishman92, see Ive just learnt about smooth, 2 clicks later and it looks 100 times better, thanks for that! I might just put a little more work into it and post another pic this evening.

50. bgivenb

bgivenb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.