Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Small WIPs that do not need their own thread (2012)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cupsster, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SONB

SONB

Thank you :)
    If everything goes well I'm going to submit it to the Asset Store tomorrow. As soon as it's accepted I'll make a thread on the Asset Store forum.

2. Acumen

Acumen

Coming to collaboration with songtan :)
    Hate to have such long times between finalizing projects. You always end up redoing everything over and over again :D

3. joshimoo

joshimoo

Which UI System did you use for robodash?
    And how was your experience with it?

4. Demigiant

Demigiant

Damn I know what you mean: each time I have to pause Journeyballs to do some other jobs, when I get back to it I redo at least all the UI. Anyway, Robodash looks really great :)

P.S. just noticed your "once killed a thread..." signature :D

5. Acumen

Acumen

hey joshimoo, we used prime3s UIToolkit so far:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/87...on-GUI-Solution-Ready-for-Use...and-it-s-free

Combined with HOTween from Izitmee for some animations.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/118515-HOTween-a-fast-and-powerful-Unity-tween-engine

Works pretty well :)
    But its only simple slide and fade effects. Nothing too complex, afterall.

@Izitmee: haha, finally you noticed it :D
    Yeh, it's just that some things were alright looking back then, but not taken the last step further. And then 2 months later I forgot my previous plans to iterate, thinking the project might not get finished anyways.
    So, yeah, I could recycle some elements but it looks much more put together now, afterall. And this time at least I will submit the final art assets. I'm out of the line of fire, then :)
    Glad you like robodash, btw :)

Still waiting for that secret blake release. He's been in hide-out ever since mentioning it too often :D

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  6. hs1S

hs1S

Tiled to Unity ftw!

7. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

It's ok to post a line here pointing us to the asset store thread. I'm sure, now that you've shown your wip, people would like to see the final product.

8. Demigiant

Demigiant

@Acumen: ahaha finally I noticed it, and am still laughing :D

I have to admit that I like all Robodash GUI, but my favorite detail are the stars: simple and simply different. And hey, simple slide and fade effects rule, and are very elegant! For GUI I only use those too :p Glad you're having fun with HOTween (I'm using it massively, and am already thinking of making a much faster V2 version - currently making some tests about it) :)

Aha, Blake is hiding from me too. Just wrote him an "is everything ok" mail a couple days ago :p

@SONB: the TODO list looks not only useful, but is also visually very nice :)

9. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

Working on an environment sculpt.

Please turn down the audio on this video, it was for a thesis update review, and don't make fun of my voice, was recorded at 5am ;)

10. NomadKing

NomadKing

The new GUI looks great! :)

11. SONB

SONB

@Little Angel Thanx for the tip, I'll post a link to my asset thread.
    Just read once more the Asset Store Guidelines, as it seems I have to implement the Undo functionality. I actually planned it for the next version, but now I feel uncomfortable releasing even such a simple tool without Undo.

@Izitmee Thank you :) I tried to skin it the way it appeals to my eyes (can't stand the default skin). Now I'm glad you like it as well :)

12. Demigiant

Demigiant

Ehe, check my signature: I use that undo system for everything (even editor panels with multiple sources), and it is easy to implement and works quite well :)

13. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

SONB: Implementing UNDO was pretty simple once one reads up on it. There is a good script on the wiki. I think someone in this thread has linked a script as well (wiki as well?). If you're stuck on UNDO's, pop me a line, and I'll dig out my implementation.

14. Acumen

Acumen

Thanks NomadKing :)
    I hope this gets finished as soon as possible. We shall finally tackle the ingame stuff now :D

Izitmee: yeh it's really weird. I always see and play other games and think "oh boy that fits our game, as well" :D
    Really dangerous to overthink everything. Still wondering if you can place journeyballs on the stores before any of my countless endeavours ;)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  15. Demigiant

Demigiant

@Little Angel: the undo script you're referring to should be the one I put in there (EditorUndoManager - it's the only one I could find, so I suppose you're referring to that), and I'm not saying this as a "look! I did it!", but so I can state that implementing a fully working undo system, which works well also with sliders and textfields, was not easy at all, since Unity's documentation is - as usual, especially with editor stuff - seriously lacking ;P (it's a few lines of code, but understanding which lines of code were the right ones was kind of messy)

@Acumen: Ah! Now that it looks like a challenge I'll definitely try :D

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  16. Acumen

Acumen

First one to release needs to send secret build, first ;)

17. athomield

athomield

@ivanzu please can you tell me how to reduce (make them fewer) the number of polygons in blender and how to make the normal map ?

18. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Whoa,it's been a while since i posted here.Just finished a WoW Style Flag ,,Holder",made in like 30 minutes or so(and the flag itself in 5 minutes,I was in a hurry so I didn't have time to finish all the details on the flag)...practicing my hand-painted texture skills^^

I'm also working on a pack for the Asset Store(not hand-painted of course)...I'll post some pics when I get home.

19. DavidB

DavidB

Wow, looking good. I think your practice with hand painted stuff can be considered a success :D

20. XGundam05

XGundam05

Long time lurker, first time poster >.>
    This is a current build of a small game I'm working on (now working on replacing terrain w/ actual track elements):
    http://www.wright.edu/~anderson.192/

Rings change ships color, which will become the main mechanic once I get the track elements added.

21. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

@DavidB Thanks!
    It could've turned out much better...it was just half an hour of work.Next time I do hand painted stuffI I will put more time and ,,love" in it.

22. ivanzu

ivanzu

You would need to make low poly model from scratch that is the same as the high poly one then UV map the low poly one and then select the high poly and then low poly model and then press bake normals.

23. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Ok,I'm calling this done!
    *Added some details on the flag and on the ,,flag holder"
    *Cleaned up the model a bit

24. ivanzu

ivanzu

Looks good!

25. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

@Thunderent: It looks good but it bore's me :p for a handpainted peice I and others want to see something that stands out (in moderation of course) but with the flag bit I would want to see the folds abit better and really push it!

I spent a few mins doing a quick paint over. I love doing folds but haven't spent time studying them properly, so don't copy this :p learn and make yours better.

Anyway heres what i mean:

26. athomield

athomield

thanks mate !

27. Unit-E

Unit-E

Working on a pedal-bike game and wanted some feedback on it. The bike will have a ragdoll driver and the development has been going slowly since this is my first Unity project. Ultimately I'd like for the biker's legs to pedal in time with the player and for the track to be more dynamic and longer. The wheels also seem to strangely deform on occasion when the game is started up, and the game's lighting engine acts like the wheel only has 8 sides, while checking it out in the editor shows all the geometry is still there.

Any ideas on how to improve the presentation? Suggestions on how to implement common features for racing games in Unity would especially be appreciated. Also, are there any recommended tutorials online for integrating Arduino boards with Unity projects?

The "EasyRoads" plugin is shown as well.

28. HolBol

HolBol

Moving away from my stealth project today (I'll return soon enough) but I was playing TLOZ : Wind Waker today, and got inspired by a frog on a cyclone, also known as Cyclos. So I cracked out blender and have started to model a similar frog.

Ima gonna rig and texture and all that jazz, and see what happens.

29. Heu

Heu

Fat and Cute! :p

30. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

31. Demigiant

Demigiant

Very nice :) I really like both its pixel looks and its casual weirdness.

32. HolBol

HolBol

Yay for texturing! Me likes.

33. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Very nice Fishman92. Me likes. Me likes the very subtle tummy.

34. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Nice hand painting! Your avatar is your work as well, right? Looks great! Do you have a webpage?

35. HolBol

HolBol

Thanks! Any idea as to how I can stop UV seams appearing? I'm not sure why they are appearing, but where the edges of faces are on the UV map, seams show up along them at far distances.

36. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

@Fishman92: Don't know why but I love it :L

@titanty: looks great! I get that pokemon 3d feel in it, simple but effective.

@Dogzerx: Thank you :p know that that is not my work, just a paint over and yes the character in my profile picture is one of my works. No I don't have a website as Im still in study and Just want to finish all my college qualifications.

Well I just finished some work and can now play around and do my own thing. YAY

Anyway I did this last night... STUPID automatic update meant that (I did save) but not as a PDF and lost my process and layers (it's unusual that I don't save as a PDF) but anyway I cleaned it up abit so Im happy with it.

128x128 texture map for table, 128x128 texture map for bottles.

Opps forgot the alpha XD

I don't like it :p looks like S***...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  37. DavidB

DavidB

LOL, I love this character. Great job. Would love to see him animated and maybe controllable in a dinky-web-demo hehe. Looks like he'd be fun to move around a screen. Keep up the good work!

38. HolBol

HolBol

Haha, Thanks.

Here's todays (mostly final) update.

Frog is now posable!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  39. Ricks

Ricks

This screenshot shows Invasion-like gameplay, featuring closed and ranged combat. Units avoid each other in runtime, and archers of the same team will not shoot into each others back.
    The pathfinding is made with pure A* (Aron Granberg library). There is no flocking or steering behavior implemented. In order to let NPCs avoid each other in runtime, only units under a specified minimum speed will mark the gridnodes as occupied. This works quite well performancewise and the pathfinding is satisfying. Initially large scale battles were planned, however the performance only allowed up to 40 players and only for a certain gridsize.

A demo is available in the webplayer, but there are no sounds and special effects in it. The units of your team will move to the red cube one level down and stand ground, while the enemies try to reach the blue cube on the platform. Once the platform has been breached by 10+ intruders a countdown of 10 seconds will start. If the countdown succeeds the session is over. The session is endless if not lost.

Controls in the webplayer are [WSAD] for Movement, [SPACE] Jump, [LMB] Attack with Spear, [RMB] Shoot an Arrow. Damage is 25 for Skeletons, 35 for Arrows, 50 for Spear. The rune symbol in the left corner is your health. You have 500 healthpoints. The pink cubes recover your health, else you'll be teleported to a spawnpoint on death.

While this seemingly simple setup took a couple of months already (in my freetime), I realized that it needs much much more to make gameplay actually fun and enjoyable (e.g. see gameplay in "Orcs must Die"). While this is not doable under my current circumstances (especially with the original concept planned) I stopped this project, leaving it at the learning experience.

Attached Files:

40. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Ok,new model!

Here's a small low-poly Wall Brazier with 2 different textures.I really need some feedback,suggestions on this because it's kind of a model for commercial use...feedback is appreciated(especially on the texture part).

@Fishman92 looks awesome and cute!

41. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

WOW I killed over a hundred guys I think. This has potential.

42. janpec

janpec

Marctro please dont stop project, it has very good potential, very nice and playable.

43. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I've been working on some ambient music for a game with the interim title "World Alone"
    You can find the music here.

44. Duskling

Duskling

All the models on this page look absolutely FANTASTIC.

45. HolBol

HolBol

46. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

You've improved so much its unreal, great work. not keen on the eyebrows tho :)

47. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Looks good but i'm not keen on those eyebrows eather, maby try modeling them? if i recall correctly nintendo modeld cloud looking eyebrows for Zephos and Cyclos and they look good.

48. Heu

Heu

I got some little project i'm working on with RagePixel, but recently found out it will be discontinued :(, but i will still try to use it because i just adore it! (and i can't afford any other 2D methods)

You can try it here.
    or visit my wordpress site.

You can't really do much in the game, because i didn't include the character customization in yet.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  49. HolBol

HolBol

Yeah.. but that will screw up my UV map, surely? Because if I add them in, i've got to re-calculate all the UVs?

Maybe I could just add some definition to the texture?

EDIT: How about using a seperate mesh and material for the eyebrows... hmm.
    EDIT 2: don't like the above idea.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  50. ivanzu

ivanzu

Sculpting a WWII soldier still WIP need to add stronger cloth wrinkles and more details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.