Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Small WIPs that do not need their own thread (2012)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cupsster, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heu

Heu

Oh Ivanzu! That's a very nice model you got there!

2. Ricks

Ricks

I made another project in 2009 or so, which I think I never posted in here. If anyone is interested you can play the online-demo here. The original idea behind it was an RPG, with the player representing a 4-armed creature like you've seen in some oriental movies. You cannot control the weapons directly, instead you control it passive like that:
    You click on an enemy with the left mouse button to attack it with the weapon on your left side, you click on an enemy with the right mouse button to attack it with the weapon on your right side. That's because I found out concurrent clicking would be to stressful - however afterwards I found out, that the passive attack is also stressful and not very convenient.

Note, that despite 4 arms, only 1 weapon can be held with per armpair, and the animations are very basic. Integrated are also 2 spells (freeze and healing), as well as a small rpg system allowing you to distribute points on a specific weapontype. For complete instructions you need to look at the key bindings when playing the game directly. I didn't make the make the models and music myself, but at that time I also found out that biggest part of the cake still needs to be eaten to get satisfied (which didn't stop me to use Unity though^).

Hint: press [Space] to open the inventory and close it to remove the mouse cursor. Press[R] to spawn some creatures.

3. blackbird

blackbird

first world from my upcoming adventure game

4. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Very nice! What tools are you using for the terrain?

5. blackbird

blackbird

mudbox and world machine

6. Farfarer

Farfarer

I think you're jumping into the higher detail levels way too soon.

He's lacking a lot of general large-medium shape definition at the moment - especially with the cloth volumes - but you've gone ahead and made a start on details as small as his belt holes.

You want to nail down the big stuff pretty well before you go in for the smaller details. Adding the big stuff on top of the small stuff is a lot harder than the other way around.

I think you'll also need to dig out some reference for the cloth folds and study how those uniforms hung on the body - at the moment it's sort of just blobby noise, with no feeling of weight or tension.

I think his arms could stand to be a little longer. Elbows generally end up just at the bottom of the ribcage, wrist slightly below the hip joint and the fingertips reaching to around (usually just above) mid-thigh.

7. ivanzu

ivanzu

OK thanks for the tips I was thinking almost the same thing about the cloth.

8. drewradley

drewradley

Here is a prison level I am working on for a mobile game. Made the model myself but the textures come from handpaintedtextures.com

It has around 10k tris and the cells are all modular so they can be removed and culled easily enough.

9. Duskling

Duskling

Looks great!

10. Avanger

Avanger

working into new game

11. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

12. drewradley

drewradley

Here is a web player of my cell block. There are a couple messed up UVs. I'm probably just going to fix them with overlays rather than messing round with my UV and what not. I sort of suck at that anyway. Overlay is easy.

http://drewradley.com/littlebighouse/LBH.HTML

13. HolBol

HolBol

Yay for eyebrows! :D

14. J_P_

J_P_

Zombies will infest the real world through your iPhone in our upcoming augmented reality game Urban Zombie :)

15. Demigiant

Demigiant

Ehe very cool, though if I had an IPhone i would feel very dumb to walk around while shooting with a phone. But again, the concept is really cool :)

16. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

He looks amazing fishman, really awesome work.

17. bobbert234

bobbert234

$orange car.png
    I made a car. I hope to finish painting another today.

18. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Some work today.

Robofrenzy UI:

Button pending text:

19. Demigiant

Demigiant

Cool! I actually like the painting as it is (except for the windows): looks strangely effective.

20. bobbert234

bobbert234

Another Car! Also I made the windows nicer on this car and the previous one
    $black car.png

21. fivearchers

fivearchers

22. fivearchers

fivearchers

Looks good! Is there a performance hit for the alphas on the bars?

23. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I liked that!

More!

-

This I like a lot!

24. Yanneyanen

Yanneyanen

Some work done on menus and health and magic bars. Also a lot of new art assets since last time (I guess), but everything's still a work in progress. The Youtube video got a little bit darker than the original, but it should get the point accross:

25. drewradley

drewradley

Well, I have yet to do any performance testing on an Android but they are all "static" so hopefully there won't be any significant problems.

26. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

@Yanneyanen: Looks sick!

Anyway I would sugest making the wall tiles abit darker or add some color because the floor tiles and wall tiles are (in my mind) blending together other than that it's looking really good!

27. Yanneyanen

Yanneyanen

@Micah: Thanks! Yeah, almost all of the textures are still a work in progress, so I'll definitely do that. Right now I'm trying to work on the gameplay more, but I'll get to it eventually.

28. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

A tee shirt i designed :D not unity related but it has some vector work(the car):
    (i dident upload the full picture because its verry big(I'm going to print it with ThePrintBar))

29. CrashKonijn

CrashKonijn

I like the vector car!

But I think that the text on the back of the t-shirt should be centered... ;-)

30. Demigiant

Demigiant

T-shirt design is a lot more subtle and complex than you might think. I'd suggest you take a look at Threadless to get the hang of doing a better design, both image-wise and text-wise :)

31. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I hade some time to fuss around in Photoshop and Blender and Shuriken - and for a couple hours work, I'm pleased. I want to fool with some proper spec maps and things... but that'll have to wait until the next odd free moment.

32. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Thanks :D will do but im thinking of changing the text or maby not even having it :)

Thanks, i had a look around there they have some great looking T-shirts.

I think you should define the parts more, because on the model it all looks like its some how made of one sheat of metal.

33. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Thanks!

Yes, there is just one temp texture applied to the entire ship. Time constraints, mostly, but this is part of the feel I'm going for. I want it to feel molded from one material. That's where I think spec maps will help a little... All that being said, however, it's UV'd with a simple cube map using a stock material that holds a temp image! (^_^)

Here are some slightly closer images, but I doubt you'd ever get this close to it in-game:

34. fivearchers

fivearchers

35. Lmentar

Lmentar

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  36. c-Row

c-Row

@Lmentar

That's an interesting art style - looks great.

37. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

trying to come up with a logo design for some course work. Title 'Project Magic'

38. varedis

varedis

Number 6 (scribbled background) makes the cards stand out more, whereas the solid background of the others seems to envelop the cards more making them look smaller and not as prominent.

An in-game screenshot of the upcoming Monimals project:

The background is only temporary, along with the info pane backgrounds.

39. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

How are you going to college when you are 16?!?!?!(not sure weather in England a college is University or if it is like high-school)

40. Farfarer

Farfarer

In England (and the rest of the UK) College is the optional step between secondary school and university.

Universities are where you get degrees, colleges get you diplomas; usually a 1 or 2 year course as opposed to a standard 3 year degree course, however they are generally equivalent in learning to the first 1 or 2 years of a degree course. Meaning you can usually progress from a college diploma straight to the next equivalent year in a degree course at a university.

Although they're trying to push through legislation that means you have to stay in secondary school until 18, rather than being able to leave at 16 and go on to university or college :/

41. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Also,here's what I'm working on(no textures yet....UV Unwrappin is a nighmare!) :D

42. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

That's cool :D

In Australia we go to high school until we are 18(end of that year) although you can drop out in year 10 no one does as you cant get a job if you do, after that you go to TAFE(Tertiary And Farther Education) and get diplomas or university to get degrees(people get diplomas for stuff like hair dressing or for a way to get into uni courses)

I think the UK has a better system :D

43. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Same in Romania...but the education here is at it's worst,each year something changes...every minister wants to change the education in his own way,and that's what is wrong.I will have the final high-school exam in 2 years(I don't know how people call it in other countries...we call it BAC or Bacalaureat),and you really need to study hard for it,but with these constant changes you don't know if you will actually going to take this exam or the education system will be changed again.
    Students are getting confused,that's why more than 40% of Romania's students failed last year...:D
    EDIT: Also because of the lack of interest...

I really like how other more advanced countries handle their education...that's why I want to leave Romania after I finish high-school....who knows,I'll go to UK :D

44. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

I think we handle our education awfully. The fact that college her is optional it really does stop people from being competent with attendence and such. If it was compulsary like school I think it would be much better, but give it a few years and it will be. Ive been told that English Universities are one of the best to have on your CV.

45. ENNEMMEE

ENNEMMEE

I already had posted this first Work-In-Progress video of my little project...

Now, I have added multi-staged explosions to it, which means: destroyed ships don't just explode and disappear, they break apart and every part explodes for itself :cool:

I also uploaded a WebPlayer

Controls are:
    W - accelerate
    S - brake/backwards
    Q/E - roll left/right
    Space - set speed to 0
    Left Mouse - shoot

Steering is a little bit different but works good:
    Hold the mouse cursor in the middle (crosshair) to keep the ship in position. Moving the mouse away from the crosshair lets you turn the ship.

I'm looking forward to your answers :)

EDIT:
    In fact, the player ship can explode, too... unfortunately the camera gets destroyed too, so when the game suddenly becomes gray, you are dead ;-)

46. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

slowly resembling pokemon more and more ;) but looks good

47. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

A couple of things!

First, you need to know about locking the cursor:
    http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/Screen-lockCursor.html

This way you can move the mouse and the pointer never leaves the screen.

I was finding it very hard to play as I kept moving the cursor out of the screen and couldn't fire as I'd just click on another window (as I'm not playing in full screen mode...)

I didn't play long enough to get destroyed, but if the player ship explodes, as part of your destruction sequence, you can detach the main camera and have it move backwards to show the explosion. Let me know if you need any hints with this one...

I'd also suggest that as an option, you look into using the mouse scroll wheel for changing acceleration as well. Let me know if you need hints with this one as well...

I'm looking forward to an update so I can give it another (and better) try.

Like some of the VFX (it's "my thing" I must admit) ...

May I ask what you are using to control your enemy ships?

48. Farfarer

Farfarer

Pretty cool, middle right is the best one, imo.

Have you played with any other concepts of magic? Cards seem pretty obvious to me. There's tons of other "classic" magic tricks you can use as inspiration, as well as themes such as misdirection and slight of hand that might lead you down more original paths.

Best piece of advice I was ever given regarding the concepting stage is rather than work with what the brief explicitly states, play with all the things the brief does not explicitly state :p

49. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Thanks Farfarer, this is actually incredibly far away from my brief ^_^ In the brief I included a magic hat rather than cards, Ill keep playing of course. these are just some ideas i came up with in class.

50. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

This reminds me of a project I wanted to do, but the artist just never logged on again! Just inspired me to make a battle system for my game! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.