Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Small WIPs that do not need their own thread (2012)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cupsster, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

And from Dead Within my friend Lefteris has started coloring some concept art:

2. brn

brn

Nice spread of work Koyima, I especially like the dragon. I was lucky enough to work on the Spyro franchise a few years back and would have loved it if they had taken the art direction for the current platforms to something more like what you have done. The nurse is just plain scary. beautiful layering of textures in the washes.

3. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

no feedback for my Sci fi models :(
    suggestions, critisim etc.?

4. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Your lighthouse scene is beautiful!
    Though the path out seems a bit ambient.

5. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Nice!

6. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I like the one on the boards.

7. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I'm sure I've seen them and liked them but didn't comment, now I can't find them.

8. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

Another try then :) If you rightclick it and open it in a new tab you can have a closer look btw.

Attached Files:

9. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Looks great :D

10. Doddler

Doddler

This whole world generation thing is coming along pretty well!

11. Duskling

Duskling

Very nice work here.

I myself have been working on an FPS Zombie Game. I'm so original. I have some very very unique ideas for the game though.

While working on it, I came to one conclusion:

Game Dev tutorials are useless, for the most part. At least for Unity.

I did go through many many tutorials learning unity and all of that, but I am still not a pro. But working on this game for 2 weeks, I have learned alot more than I ever have watching many unity tutorials. As long as you have the script reference and a bit of coding background, you can get alot out of unity.

I am freaking AMAZED at how simple the pathfinding system is. I did not think it was going to be like this, at all. I love unity!

12. GrimWare

GrimWare

Share us your ways MrDuskling.. I'd like to know how to do pathfinding

13. Duskling

Duskling

Well, I just deconstructed the navMesh demo.

go here, http://unity3d.com/unity/preview/download and then look under the 3.5 download, you will see additional downloads.Just download the navMesh demo, open it in unity 3.5 pro, and lookat the demo scene. All you need is the actor script and a baked navmesh and you are good.

14. wrm186

wrm186

Haha well, I have been making games that are beyond my capability (by myself) so I decided this would be a great one to actually sit down and play around with, and hopefully ACTUALLY finish it :p

I guess it's just hard to choose one thing to do :)

EDIT: And the only thing I could never do is scripting haha, I'v tried countless times to study it and understand it, but I fail every time :D

Does anyone know a really good site that would teach you about "Unity JS"? Or is C# better to learn?
    I do understand more java than C# so far however...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  15. Duskling

Duskling

I like UnityScript ( javascript not really ) alot more than C#. The syntax is a bit easier for me to understand. Hopefully some day I will learn it.

If you want to learn Unity3D Javascript, The best place to go is tornadotwins.

They are a bit crazy, but their videos will start you on the path to developing games. Then you may want to read a Unity3D book. or just skip tornadotwins altogether and go straight to the book, which I reccomend. Also, check the Learning section of the forum. There is always stuff being added.

Oh wait, I forgot. There is walkerbrothers.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/69938-Unity-3-Video-Training-Course-(FREE)-Walker-Boys

If you watch these videos, you will learn unity java script fast and efficient. They are amazing videos. I highly recommend watching them instead of anything else.

I still think learning from experience is the best, but you need to learn the language a bit till you can do that.

16. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

i hear nowadays you have to pay for the assets in the tornado twins, wich if i may is a real S***ter :D lucky for me i watched them ages ago but had to wait whal they made new ones :(

17. Acumen

Acumen

thanks so much Don Gray :D
    At the moment, we totally scrapped the futuristic idea and went for the retro theme that you and a couple of other lovely individuals confirmed :)
    Trying to bring in the control scheme to the actual device and then tackle some weird batman like text popup effects :D
    Sweet journey so far, unfortunately I'm back to work with my kiddies again, so dev time is kinda limited to the weekends, once more :/

18. NomadKing

NomadKing

They remind me of a game, but I can't for the life of me think which one! lol

But they do look very nice, especially the console :)

19. Acumen

Acumen

Caught on by other project - need holidays again :D

Btw, I've been using the pomodoro-technique for a couple of days and so far it's a blast. Now I need the actual tomatoe clock and I'll be superproductive (NOT :D)

20. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

*modelling again*

21. Duskling

Duskling

Looks nice!

May I make a suggestion? Where it says "Dookie Double", you should reverse it to "Double Dookie"

It just flows alot better. But the game looks great!

22. Acumen

Acumen

hrhr, I can not forward that to the programmer, cause I reversed his original wording and said that it was better that way - foolish me.
    Damn, I was wrong as a non native speaker, obviously :D
    Alright alright, I'll change it all back up !

Also mocked up a new level with the rocks, we've actually decided on :)
    Game still needs a name. RoboDash best as of yet..

23. Duskling

Duskling

Looks great! I love the style.

24. Rilem

Rilem

25. Duskling

Duskling

Reminds me of fable :D

26. fivearchers

fivearchers

Another screenshot of my Timesplitters (MP splitscreen) inspired FPS:

27. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

if they remind you of a game it is a good sign for me :D thanks

28. wrm186

wrm186

It may be the effect you're going for, the way your lighting is set up, but you have some weird shadows. Could be just me :p If that's the case I'm very sorry.

If not however, I'm not sure about other modeling programs, but if your're using blender add an "Edge Split" modifier and it will get rid of the weird shadows...

The houses looking amazing by the way.

29. wrm186

wrm186

Ah, TimeSplitters! :D I used to play that game a lot on my Xbox that I had, then switched to a PS3... Very fun game indeed though! I would have to say your map is coming along very well for the game that inspired you!

I had the "TimeSplitters Future Perfect" version, I loved the characters that were on there :D Especially their little sayings they said once you picked them...

Like so:

30. ivanzu

ivanzu

That is weird shading caused by blenders smooth you shouldn't smooth your object nor to use the "Edge Split" modifier as its add more vertices just let unity auto-smooth it.
    Here is the second render of my Favela shop thing,this time rendered in unity how does it look now? $favela render.PNG

31. janpec

janpec

Looks very good.

32. ivanzu

ivanzu

Does anyone know when they added AO baking into beast for indie unity because I noticed it only in 3.5V?

33. wrm186

wrm186

That never worked for me :p I either had to do "Edge Split" of go into Unity's import settings and do "Re-Calculate Normals" in order for it to look good.

But that's just me :D It could be just my problem :/

34. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

ivanzu, you know that the unity "auto-smooth" also double every vert it splits? ;)

35. Ambrosios

Ambrosios

I'm not an artist but today I decided to try some 3D modeling, so here is the beginning of my wheelbarrow !

36. Doddler

Doddler

I'm borrowing textures from another game for this, but I wanted to learn how to do texture projections. It's annoying that there isn't a built in shader for it, and I don't even really understand the one I am using. But the effect looks decent enough.

37. jessee03

jessee03

My blizzard contest entry :]

38. Farfarer

Farfarer

Nah, any split in surface, normals or UVs means two vertices are created. Doesn't matter if you do it yourself or let it happen automatically.

So you might want to do it in your 3D program where you have full control over it.

39. jessee03

jessee03

Very neat textures ! what kind of brushes do you use ?

40. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Yep, these are the ones I thought you were talking about.
    My first thought when I saw them was they are quite nice.
    Looking at the computer console I was comparing it to the ones I have created in my game and thought it was much more
    sci-fi looking, though mine aren't meant to be too polished or advanced.
    I think they all invoke a techno feeling and would look great in a similar environment
    and I also like the little details such as handles, panels, bevels and grooves.
    They would work well mixing and matching them around a scene and not seem too repetitive.
    The camera view seems a little skewed/distorted or maybe it's just me.
    Thanks for posting them again for me, I looked for several minutes and didn't find them,
    maybe they were further back that I thought.

:)

41. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Have you tried using only the rock texture on the support rocks, without the blue siding?
    Just thought it would be worth a try to see if you like it.
    I don't even know if I'd like it but think if it was my game I'd at least see how it looks.
    The blue siding seems to define where the player can go and seems kind of out of context on the side of rocks where the player can't go.

42. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Looks good!

43. Duskling

Duskling

Trying to learn some hand painted metal stuff for my game.

How does it look?

44. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Looks good but you should post a PNG or the format that your textures are and maby when you practice use the texture size the final thing will be as its good to work with the constraints you will face.

45. Acumen

Acumen

@DonGray, yup that will be exactly what we'll be doing. If you look closely the texture doesn't even tile around the horizontal rocks, since it was superrushed to show. I basically tried to campaign for how the level should/could be made up, since it was a tough discussion to move the sci-fi-platforms aside for this first environment :D

@MrDuskling for me I can only see the bottom part, really, because the rest seems superdark, so it's hard to judge

46. NomadKing

NomadKing

I think it's been in there since they added beast (It was definitely in 3.3). GI is the only real lighting option missing from indie as far as i remember.

47. Goolygot

Goolygot

I'm working on a little game. Textures are just placeholders btw.

$Game.jpg

As you may see, I have no clue how to make or find a shader to move the lava like the unity water.

48. Rilem

Rilem

It was a very valid critic. :)
    Something went wrong when I decided to use a batch exporter script to export all of the house parts (it's a construction kit), so all of the normals went smooth somehow.
    Did the exports manually again and it looks much better now:

49. ivanzu

ivanzu

Awesome much better!

50. fivearchers

fivearchers

Actually dusted off TS:FP for research (glad I kept my original PS3 that can still play PS2 games), I'm trying to find TS2 also. I have heard they're making a Timesplitters 4, which would instantly tank any progress on my own game hehe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.