Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Small WIPs that do not need their own thread (2012)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cupsster, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acumen

Acumen

@osmant. Dying to get more insight on the textures, shaders lighting, whatever. I think if I remembe correctly I already begged on polycount a couple of months ago :D
    I'm a sucker for these shiny props all over the place !
    Would love to see a breakdown of a couple of these props to understand how you achieved these effects.

2. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Rich and vivid!

3. stefmen

stefmen

Just made some cactusplants to go with my rocks :cool:
    what should i make next for this dessert?

Attached Files:

4. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Hmm, the terrain?
    Some bramble bushes?
    Old bull skull?
    Weeds?

:)

5. sawfish

sawfish

I'd definitely make a tumble weed...
    And a bull skull...
    Some ground cacti would be cool, the prickly pear type.
    Scorpion?

6. HolBol

HolBol

A HUGE SCORPION.

Sorry. By the way, your skills are fantastic. Very good job, sir!

7. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Yeah, think I meant tumble weed, like sawfishusa said, instead of bramble bush.

8. stefmen

stefmen

Thanks for the comments guys heres some weed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  9. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Kind of dark.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  10. osmant

osmant

We will show something very soon. In fact, we're working on a demo since the game is pretty playable and we have ~40-50 maps. Also I'll break down some of the art, but to be honest it's not very complex. It's just a very specific way of lighting/modelling and texturing the assets :)
    Nothing special going on except 1 or 2 custom shaders. I'm glad you like it!

11. Acumen

Acumen

grrr, since you're so secrecy, I'm sure it's more than just "not very complex" ;)
    Looking forward to more information on the project. Editor looks supereasy and fun to work with !

12. bobbert234

bobbert234

my first attempt at character modeling
    $zombieProg1.png
    zombie progress for my iOS project. Tell me what you think and which one you like best. The gray one has a more round head and more polys at the bottom of his shirt. The red has less bevels on its head and its pants are connected to its shirt (which kinda makes him look fat ), it also has hands. I might do some combination of the two. Poly count is similar around 150 each.

13. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Nice lookin' little people, Bobbert.

14. Nagrim

Nagrim

Guys what do you think about this? It's my first model. It will be something like a platform.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  15. ivanzu

ivanzu

Doesn't look bad but needs more detail.

16. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Nagrim: I like it. Good control for a first model. And LIT! I like it a lot. More?

17. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

18. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Under water :D it looks alot like night time hear but its water, no assets yet just doing the lighting first :D

$Underwater.png

19. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I added a frame around the camera :D:

$UnderwaterFrame.png

20. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Is there a reason that you added a frame like that? It can be an interesting effect if done very subtly or for a hit effect or similar in a game but in this case I think it draws the eyes away from the scene, which actually looks quite good. If I were you the only other thing I would try and tighten up is making the mountains look a bit more '2d' by having discreet z layers. :)

21. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Its just temporary :D im trying to just have a small outer frame around the around the out side, as its going to be a sort of unmanned submarine, being controlled from a boat on the surface. the game is actualy 3d, or do you think that would still be benificial(the player wont be able to aproch those hills).

this is my atempt at making it stop taking the spotlight :D:

$SUBSCREENSUBTILE.png

22. wrm186

wrm186

My game logo, what do you guys think of it?

I might also change the text to an actual 3D model with radiosity as well... not sure though. Any thoughts?

23. CkSned

CkSned

Been creating the island for my game. Still needs some texture work on the background mountains. But not bad for my first proper attempt ?

$Screen Shot 2012-01-12 at 14.01.42.png

24. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Looks awesome!

25. EISOBAX

EISOBAX

Sci fi box

Attached Files:

26. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

EISOBAX whats the poly count? Looks great.

27. wrm186

wrm186

No thoughts on my game screen? :p It'd be really great if I could get some feedback! :D

28. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Well we have no idea about the game. And why do you keep starting new projects?

29. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Nice looking saloon front, simple but with enough detail to make it attractive.

30. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

My opinion:
    I like the "Lost My Marbles" text and your logo.
    I think it might be cooler to have the bands around the marbles be a kind of dull silver like steel
    and the marbles themselves not be so reflective to give them a sense of weight,
    maybe even somewhat translucent. At any rate, the self-illuminated color seems too intense to me.
    But, these ideas might not be the kind of marbles you want to represent.

31. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Probably going to have to fake it/bake it since rendering the whole screen twice gets a bit silly for ipad :S especially as there's so many transparent bits anyway.

Maybe someone has a cool idea for a fast SSAO 2D shader, but for now I'll probably just bake it into the images :)

32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

haha very close. Zangief and Haggar were the inspiration, with a touch of sweaty old turk vibe somewhere in there :)

33. Jibidiah

Jibidiah

Just a little odd thing I'm working on. It uses the NEAR CLIP PLANE... because I got bored and decided to use it one day. It's going to be a puzzle game about seeing beyond lies and getting to the truth... then a little more o_O

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53915463/level 1ish/WebPlayer.html

only got the level selection started, and the first 1/6th of the tutorial level. Next step is to create my own stuff in Blender and not have everything be made of primitive objects.

34. marcos

marcos

For such a playful name, the text and colours seem really serious (the typeface suits the futuristic looking marbles though). Further, the bright colours of the marbles draw attention away from the text itself, which sort of falls into the background. Also, I think that the composition could be less confusing, there's no really obvious path for the eye to travel around the image.

Can see this looking awesome with some reshuffling!

35. Jibidiah

Jibidiah

The logo itself makes you Lose Your Marbles... ahahahahaha!!! ...I need some sleep o_O

36. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Some pretty cool WIPS in this thread. But, I don't know enough about them so if you post a WIP, please could you write a little bit about the background of it, and if its due for hobby or commercial? It makes for interesting reading.

37. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Most of the time people do.... onless its top secrate :D personaly i think secracy is dumb so ill say what mine is:

The under water scene i am working on is for a small idea i had this is it:

In a attempt to make an artificial reef some guys use a unmanned submarine to place mesh on the ground to make bio rock but a large rock robot from an ancient civilization (Atlantis) is triggered once the bio rock setup is turned on which smashes the submarine... that’s all, the game would be too complex to make so I’ll have to drop it but I’m going to finish the first scene.

hear is the sub so far(un textured):

$submairne.png

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  38. Gorlog

Gorlog

im working on puzzle and action game no name story yet just messing around :)

Unnamed Game :)

39. Doddler

Doddler

Working on getting cloud shadows working (since it's a top down game). Right now it works by applying perlin noise to the ground mesh (not using unity terrain) vertex color, and then I made a shader that subtracts that channel from the texture color. Strumpy Shader editor owns. It looks kind of pixelated cause I lowered the density of the perlin noise, since it updates each frame.

The downside of doing it this way though is that if you shine a light on the surface that's covered by clouds, you don't actually get all that light back. I was thinking I could mess around with the lighting shader, buuut... you can't use vertex color on the light graph. :/

Still, it looks nice in motion.

40. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

9 hours without a post in here.It's a new record!

Meanwhile,I'm working on this(and having fun with Unity Pro....Trial):

It's a ,,ground" torch for my model pack :D

Any feedback?

41. fivearchers

fivearchers

Moving along with my TimeSplitters inspired splitscreen shooter.
    • now have several weapons of various types (explosive projectiles-including mines-with AoE damage, sniper type hitscan weapons with zoom, rocket launchers, machine guns etc).
    • I have two placeholder maps, and lots of background prep.
    • Added ammo counters, weapon, armor, and health pickups.
    • There are kill counters, including negative points for killing yourself.
    • Also player gets credit for shooting a different players mine if it kills that other player (or players) - this includes a given player starting a chain reaction

My biggest "unsolvable" problem right now is Unity's silly handling of the 360 controller triggers - which are for some unknown reason, treated as a single axis. As Call of Duty, etc players are aware, the left trigger is for zooming, and the right trigger is for firing - Thus I have no way of allowing the player to zoom and shoot, so for now the Left Bumper will be for zoom. That's fine for now, but how will I explain to potential customers down the road, why I can't include the same 360 controls as half the shooters out there??

Attached Files:

42. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

I know, this thread kinda makes me sad since it got stickied. I feel like people forgot about it.

43. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thats kinda nice but I think it's also complete overkill. What you could do is just render a couple of quads over the top and move them around for pretty much the same effect. But if you wanted to be really sexy you'd render those quads to a target texture, then you could just render textured things which are black or white, and blend with multiply over the top of the scene, which would allow you to light things up while in cloud shadow.

Although I really like the rolling mathematical look you've got going there.

44. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

+1, no one looks at stickies :/

45. ivanzu

ivanzu

Didn't post here for a while so here is my new model.
    $Favela-shopRender.png

46. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Hi guys,

some stuff I'm working on now. A bit busy.

Attached Files:

47. Doddler

Doddler

Heh yeah I figured that was the case, although since I'm just learning this stuff I'm in an odd position where this overkill method is what I'm using because I don't actually know how to do the other method. :p

Though I should probably try it out the other way. It gets kind of messy, if for example the ground surface is not flat and possibly changes heights during gameplay. Since I'm just learning how to do shaders, and also how to use noise, this kind of solution just somehow seemed natural. Originally the shader was only intended to blend between the grass and dirt textures based on the vertex color (Is that the best way to approach that idea?), but then I realized that I could do other things, such as perform animation by changing those vertex values. My original test was THIS, the clouds ended up as more of a "Heeey, I might be able to make something useful out of this!"

I guess though to make a serious game I should probably learn how to do the less extreme method since surely this is not very good on performance or system requirements!

48. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Koyima the first picture is that rendered in Unity or it's a real image?That looks SO....SO....realistic!The clouds add so much realism to the scene!

49. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

That's a Vray render. I'm doing some animations of it too, it's for a tv spot - the beacon I mean.

50. iisjreg

iisjreg

+1

But I think that a less-busy cloud texture with slower movement would be subtle and effective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.