Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Small WIPs that do not need their own thread (2012)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cupsster, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Not bad...I've always wanted to get into vehicle modelling, but I need to find near perfect blueprints... and my triangle counts would be in the 120,000 triangle range

2. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

have a look at this this site.
    Go and search for TAMIYA blueprints, those are near perfection. (most of em)

3. NomadKing

NomadKing

He's a pretty hairy chap! Based on someone you know? ;)

4. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I've been there before... nice site...

5. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

CRACKERS!

Not only a STICKY, but an entire SECTION!

6. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

7. Tasarran

Tasarran

Now, that's going the extra mile!

I know I've felt like I have been pouring blood, sweat, and tears into my work, but I really haven't added any blood... ;)

Not so for you!

8. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

i mean, the reference for my project involves, cloth and facial damage to fighting game characters, and why not... I've been working on this for education and to see how far i can take the detail

9. janpec

janpec

Seems like 2012 showcase thread has even more powerfull engine than 2011, its growing very fast.

10. W01ff

W01ff

A good friend of mine is finishing his first book - an epic fantasy story. He asked me to create an interactive/explorative map that readers can use to keep track of where the characters of the story are.

$CirinMap.jpg

I have created a first prototype of this map, and would like to receive critique and comments on the work. I have created a WebPlayer which can be accessed Here. Only the central land (called Akinn) is active - more countries will be added later.

Looking forward to hearing any and all suggestions for improvements.

11. fivearchers

fivearchers

Working on a split-screen 4 player FPS. So far I have 360 controller movement and look and am able to instance each player starting from a blank screen (which in turn sets up its screen position based on assigned player number, and is slaved to a specific controller). Also have basic shooting/kill/respawn working (spent a few minutes with my kids running around a square maze shooting each other)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  12. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Looks good.

13. HolBol

HolBol

Woooo!

14. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Cool!
    (no comments or criticism at this time)

:)

15. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

It would be cool to make the map like a terrain and put mountians etc on it even a castle and stuff to represent citys it would be sick :D

Ive been reducing the poly on the bimp ferther and it now sits at 619 polygons i deleted all faces that wouldent be visible in game, i think ill just go with the higher poly one tho as i think it would be good to be able to have cut scenes and stuff with cool camera views:

$rts controlls copy.png

And ive been working on this sprite, i cant think of what the fishing will look like from front and back though.

$spritewalkcycle3wi.jpg

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Oh hark at the cheek...! I'm pretty stocky but nothing like him really, although we always kind of want a big chap and a skinny fast chap in the games because that represents us pretty much :D

17. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

18. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Pretty cool, Quentin!
    Not sure I'd be any good at it though, four screens would keep me distracted too much to be of any use.

19. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Looks awesome Ben4views.It reminds me of that game....I think Warsoup was the name of it.What happened to your RPG project?

20. W01ff

W01ff

Thanks for the positive feedback so far. Some of the graphics are just placeholders - the book for example. All text is parsed from an XML file - this enables my friend to do any changes without me having to recompile the WebPlayer - I hope this explains some of the nonsence text shown ;o)

Good idea - one that I originally had. The thing is, the map will be published on a website, so I'm trying to keep the size of the WebPlayer down, so people will not have to download massive amouts of data to use the map. Using a full terrain with roads painted on, and castles and town would simply take up too much space I think. I would gain the benefit of the built-in terrain automatic LOD which would be great when zooming in and out - but if the WebPlayer gets much bigger it will not be usable.

I will post updates when I have more finished - until then all C&C are welcome.

21. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Oh ok :D i still think its worth trying it, as it would give a great effect :D if the file size is to big then just delete it.

Im making a little creature for a idea i had it will be a little planet that is just filled with these little things and you play as god touching water will cause waves etc, just an idea but oneday may become a reality, the polly count is 100 :D nice and low i plan on doing a 128 texture for it :D:D:D:

$fluff1.png

$fluff2.png

22. fivearchers

fivearchers

It's odd, but when you're playing split screen with friends you really do end up focusing on your own screen. I might add some borders though, because it is a bit disorienting having the screens right to the edge.

23. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Might take me a while if I did ever get where I could play with split screen.
    Glad you're enjoying your creative work!

24. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

@titanty: Detach the ears, then remove the the loop in the middle as its not adding to the silhouette at all ( remember you don't have to have one model, it can be pieces ). If you still want to keep the ears attached then weld the verts in the front down and the one vert at the back. Everything will still look the same but with a smaller ploy count

Ears attached = - 8 tris
    Not attached = -12 tris

thats not 100% because I can't see all of the ears but you will still be loosing some tris.

Edit: I like the fact that the WIP thread has a stick but don't like the fact that it's not in the showcase because now I will go their less (I might just be lazy though)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  25. Tasarran

Tasarran

You really don't have to go so crazy on saving every last polygon...

My current project has a map engine that I have pushed way beyond 2M triangles, and it barely slowed down the engine.

26. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

Well is this map engine that is pushed beyond 2m tris going on a mobile device?
    The reason I try and not wast every last polygone is for mobile reasons... I mean it could be the diffrence of having 1 more object on the screen and that can make a huge diffrence! Not only that its just good practice, I mean why waste tris when you can have the same result with fewer?

Lets look at it in a way of if you were going to hire someone to work for you.
    You have two artists that make the same object and they both look exacly the same but one has a higher polycount than the other.

Who would you hire?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  27. wrm186

wrm186

28. Tasarran

Tasarran

Well, is one of them a hot chick? ;)

29. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

OK so I do allot of studies and just doodling around and then delete what i've done after because Im not gonna use it. My friend said that what I say isn't usable others (him) could use, so instead of deleteing it I should put it online for others to use.
    Im not fussed to be onest, but Im still gonna delete them off my hard drive as its a waste of space, but I will start uploading them first I guess.

Im posting it here because its/they are not finished. If anyone wants to finish it to use then go ahead.

Might have to creat a thread as it would clutter this thread.

so a plank that is overly repeated. I just did it now using a new brush I made (works well so that a plus)

Tiles ok if used rite.

Enjoy :p

30. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Very nice, I'm sure if YOU did some tweaking and actually finished it I'd e a lot nicer though. ;)

31. Ambrosios

Ambrosios

Trying to use uLink Network solution in my project :

gonna try again later :rolleyes:

32. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

Ok another.
    Still testing the new brush ( LOVE IT )

Just a simple tilable pillar texture:

Tiles ok.

also a aplha test, very very quick sfi..ish hallway texure. Not hand painted.

Tiles ok.

Not going to include the spec and alpha map as thats not to hard to make.

33. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Awesome work @Micah!

Can you give me some advices,tips on hand-painted textures?Also how do you make them tile(I never get tiling textures when I'm hand-painting them)?

34. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

Ask away Thunderent! I don't mind answering any question you have.

What program do you use to texture?
    I guess I could create a little video about tiling hand painted textures but its prety much the same as tiling any other texture :p

35. Gorlog

Gorlog

im new to 3d hagging out with blender scfi tank models but h.poly :/

i think i try low poly next time

36. Somedays

Somedays

Backyard Zombies on Android =D
    I'm adding more and more characters!!!!

37. Duskling

Duskling

Really amazing!

We are working on a supermarket level for our current game project. I made these 2 Generic items. More coming soon.

What do you think?

38. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

@Micah looks great :D one thing though, i think the lines between the planks(horrizontal) should be darker(like how the virtical ones are) also those little dot things are the exact same i would make them difernt :D and i would do a tad of smudging. looks great tho :)

39. HolBol

HolBol

I think you need to change the smoothing on the cereal box. Hard edges are needed there.

40. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Think it could use a bit of self-illumination, not too much but enough for it to stand on it's own
    without being overly dependent on direct lighting.

41. Acumen

Acumen

Committing more and more. Coming up with fitting menu styles for everything sucks as of now :eek:
    Which of these 3 would you think should be taken further and serious-ionized ?

42. Duskling

Duskling

How would I do that?

I'm using blender.

43. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Had some time this w/e to look into destructible asteroids:

44. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

If your shading is on smooth, turn it onto hard.

45. Acumen

Acumen

K, totally different tone now :D
    We're exploring different themes, I guess. I really enjoy how the platforms pop out on this one :)

46. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I believe you need to be in Edge Select in Edit Mode and with the edges selected, it's Edges/SetHard which the opposite is Edges/SetSmooth? When I'm in front of Blender, I'll double check.

47. Duskling

Duskling

Thanks, I'll check that out in a bit

48. fivearchers

fivearchers

That's coming along nicely!

49. janpec

janpec

Some experiments with tiled stone textures and Ndo2 plugin for photoshop. Highly recommend it for anyone who is using Photoshop.

50. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

@micah, could you make a video? or atleast a couple of images of you doing it step by step. I still cant figure it out hahah.

thanks
    -Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.