Search Unity

Small WIPs that do not need their own thread (2012)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cupsster, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I dont know what you mean the consumers dont know what they want?!? that is rediculous i could give you loads of things i want someone to make, i have loads of games that i plan on making proboly years worth, but from what hippo wrote i think he means to show a work in progress so alread most of it done just getting advice on how to make it better :D

2. RocketeerGames

RocketeerGames

We just released Red Crucible 2.0, and had some server issues due to the overwhelming players numbers. This should all be sorted out within a week.

3. Acumen

Acumen

@hippcoder: Sincey you did it with your other product and didn't seem to like sales,reactions, crits, I'd say why not do it differently this time. There's only benefits for posting early wip's.

4. keely

keely

Blunk the Game for the Flash compo and a demo of my pixelart tools.

5. Photon-Blasting-Service

Photon-Blasting-Service

I'm getting closer to finishing my next asset package so I thought I'd post a preview video.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  6. Acumen

Acumen

sweet ryan, maybe showcase the stuff a bit lighter, so people see better what they get :)
    Yes I know, cave is dark and stuff, but still, there's too much black if you ask me for proper presentation.

I moved along and mocked up some arcade styled buttons. I'm really really happy with the way the actual controls are turning out. We're nailing these soon and can move on from prototyping to actual level creation and adding in bonusses and S***. Expect video soon :D
    Maybe I shall get some blogging going on, too. But, um no, I'll fail miserably anyways :D

7. nickyoso1

nickyoso1

did some texturing on my sword model, still not completely done.
    Any suggestions on how to improve?

8. EISOBAX

EISOBAX

One of my first characters ever. textures where from the net though.

Attached Files:

• $bob.png
      $bob.png
      File size:
      149.8 KB
      Views:
  9. HolBol

HolBol

He looks a bit big-headed.
    Heheh...

10. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I'm not sure this thread needs to be stickied... it floats to the top on a daily if not hourly basis. Can't remember when the first thread started but 300 pages in a year-ish*? Just under 1 PAGE a day! This thread also has it's own set of participants and is unique in it's own way, rather than being a forum-wide (or section/topic wide) necessity.

* Cuppster's first post:
    Posted: 10:31 AM 12-10-2010

11. Rilem

Rilem

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Sorry for hijacks but I was genuinely curious about posting wips. I think people have swayed me with their passionate arguements so I'll probably contribute too soon. Some of the points raised were core midi. Yes if only I had known sooner. Although how can one impart core midi on a screen shot thread I don't know :D As for users being critical, well expect it. If your stuff is very different expect a love/hate reaction...

13. Acumen

Acumen

@LittleAngel, I think with the thread being stickied it would help the other "full" project threads to be more prominent. I'v found it harder for real showcase threads to survive against the longlive waywo-thread.

Toying around with main menu - would be cool if the character would race endlessly until player choose a menu option ;)

14. ivanzu

ivanzu

15. earthcrosser

earthcrosser

Wow the medical app looks impressive! @imaginary human just shell out the $500 if you can. A while ago I bought the compiler for Android and my game made 80 bucks in the first month :). Yesterday I bought the unity iOS compiler and the apple developer license and I plan on releasing my new game on iOS soon, I think it will be well worth the investment. (At least I really hope so) So my advice would be to just take a risk.

And just a general comment, thank you forums, couldn't have taken on this hobby with out such a supportive community!

16. NomadKing

NomadKing

I always find that there a LOT more people willing to post something negative about a product than something positive, even when the number of people who view it negatively are the minority (and usually by a large margin). Of course this isn't just limited to software, so I guess it's just another quirk of being human.

If only everyone in the world was a hippo, then life would be so much simpler...

17. NomadKing

NomadKing

Almost looks good enough to eat... :p

18. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

You!You....cannibal! :D

19. janpec

janpec

@Acumen very nice and original graphic!

20. rik338

rik338

@Acumen nice graphics, maybe add shadows for the tree's on the background?

21. ivanzu

ivanzu

Finished docks for my watermill.
    POLY:151
    UV:512x512-Docks,258x258-Pillar,Color&Normal
    $render1.png

22. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Great as always ivanzu!
    Well I'm NOT a pro at hand-painted textures,but as others said ,,Know where your light source is coming from" so you can paint some highlights on your texture.Still,a lot better than my hand-painting skills :D

23. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

All the planks being the same it doesn't look right, and with docks, wood is never the same size. ;)

24. janpec

janpec

Light source should almost never be painted in any texture except AO map, unless you have some really sparingly mobile game where are you trying to spare as much as possible on performance.

25. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Sorry,my bad.I'm a beginner at hand-painting :(

26. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Yeeees. What he said, primarily. But there must be some directionality for the eye to see shape on a flat surface, and even tho' most people don't paint full directionality, there is often a tendency to paint light from an ambiguous "above" and shadow "below". I have often found textures the include these and making sure they are aligned to the game's lighting can really help sell one of those textures.

From Page 3 of titanty's thread:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/116998-The-Creation-Of-Adam/page3

There are these images on hand painting with implied directionality:

I think you do need some "directionality" but you must be careful and keep it as generic as possible and be prepared to tweak it to fit.

On the latter animated image, arguably you could STOP before the last few steps where the lighting is very exaggerated and still have a good texture and one, arguably, that would work better in more situations.

27. Acumen

Acumen

hey thanks guys :)
    You really helped me a lot to take the initial idea further.
    Really means a lot to me, we've been progressing superquick in the last days and who knows this might lead somewhere :D
    You will all be given a part of charles' bazookajillions !

28. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

I think we have game fever, the new app im working on has progressed incredibly quickly after 1day of work. will be ready for testing soon :)

29. janpec

janpec

LittleAngel nice find, i would say that technically there is no light source on those hand painted textures. For example light source would be if you would take white dodge brush and paint some areas lighter than other over big surface. Those handpainted images carry basically only specular value in diffuse. Well i dont want to complicate too much, thats how i see it:D

30. Duskling

Duskling

amazing talent here :)

I don't have much to showcase, lately I have been making lots of prototypes and testing lots of functionality.

Right now I'm working on a book/note system almost identical to skyrim because I love it.

31. DrPygameNewb

DrPygameNewb

This makes me want to create textures in gimp right now.

32. gioworks

gioworks

WIP GUI for game. Next Hero health and mana. And custom gui style.

33. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Only preview ill be giving just so yall no im busy :D 5 level shot of the new puzzle app I am working on, this will be the first level set of 3 which will all contain 30 levels. each set with a different theme and game mechanics! keep an eye out

34. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I think you have made the right desision, some people may have asked if you had core midi you nevet know :D

@Little Angel, thanks for the shout out to my thread :D

@Ivanzu, i would make the nails not evanly spaced , make then more rusty and have multiple nails in some planks.

Its quite strange i overlooked all handpainted textures bit now ive started ive noticed loads of people do it wich is great, as its a great art :D

35. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

World of warcraft is all hand painted textures. The reason for it is, it gives it a more timeless quality, it won't age as badly as something that needs normal mapping in a world that's heading towards shader based mesh tesselation.

36. EnigmaFactory

EnigmaFactory

That's very true hippo, but another reason is resources. WoW is now a rather old game, but it still looks great. It's also all online and they wanted a wide range of machines to run it. By painting in the details and shading instead of using advanced lighting, they can reduce the amount of overhead. What's really stunning in WoW to me is when you walk up to a ledge and can see it's crumbling and the sides are split and rugged. Then you move right against it and look down it's length and you can see it's just a solid rectangular prism. They do such a great job of painting in the shading that it looks so believable. Even more, it holds up from most angles you view it from. Just amazing.

Plus, at least to me, Style > Realism.

37. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

38. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

That looks incredible, Would you mind if I used the design style as part of my app? PM me if youd be intretested or want to hear a little more before blatently saying 'yes' or 'No' :) if there is a credit page (there wasn't in my last app) then id defiantly put you as a 'thanks to' for inspiration.

-Charlie

39. LordJulian

LordJulian

I'm a gun nut. :p

HK G3A3 Battle Rifle
    $TexturedDecalledG3A3.jpg

810 Faces, that optimal enough for its details?

40. TehWut

TehWut

Very cool style! what is the type of game you are working on?

41. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Not much visuals, but I coded a item system, not fully done yet but I got potions/food/medicine done. Still need to add weapons and key items, but shouldn't be a problem. For my weapon system, since there is only like 6 weapons, I am using a boolean system to know what weapons I have and those I don't, I don't know if it's the best method, but it's simple. My tutorials are going to be showing how I do this all. I will be releasing all the code at the end of the series.

42. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Lots of fun and interesting work done here lately, too many to comment on them all.
    Here's a screen of the new particle system in the final level of my game, still working on getting the settings just right.

$particle_system.jpg

43. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Lookin' pretty good! :)

Couldn't the character be made to move about until something is selected by a fairly simple script?
    Or if this is just the title screen and 2D, you could have a movie of the character moving about until the screen unloads.

44. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Looks good to me from here.

45. ShoxXR

ShoxXR

Wow this looks very good, what should this be for an Theme ?
    Looks a bit mistery.

But I think some more effects were good :)

46. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Thanks!
    Yes, very mysterious the theme... :)
    Puzzle/story game.
    Still very much in the works.

47. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

They still look horrible in my opinion, most of them are all streched and ugly but yes they do age well, maby a better example would be Warcraft 3 wich still looks ok today and its 10years old :D, also to make games age well, toon shading dose wonders. Look at link from wind waker compared to link from super smash bros mele, toon link would look decent against skyward sword link(wich i think will age well too)

48. Acumen

Acumen

Yup @DonGray that was my plan exactly !
    Your puzzle game looks wonderful, shame no more info on it anywhere around. Don't be hidey hidey :D

49. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Link to what's available online in my sig. :)

50. Acumen

Acumen

Obviously I'm aware of that, since I'm stalking many people, but it lacks pretty much any concrete information ;)
    Some quotes:

So that's just another seemingly interesting game hidden in the "I don't wanna give too much away, people might actually get interested and I'd be forced to finish it"-forest :p

Bottom line, after studying every blog page I still fail to know a basic idea of the game :p
    Might be hommage to Myst, I don't know for sure !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.