Search Unity

Looking For Feedback: First Person Runner Game

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Blacklight, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Blacklight

Blacklight

Yeah, me again, with another infinite runner game.
    I gave this to a friend to test, and he complained about the controls being clunky and unresponsive but they seem fine on my computer, so I wanted to get some more opinions.

TEST LINK

This was made around a week, using only one art asset (the camera animation). The rest is cubes, lights and code.

Screenshots:

Please give it a try and leave some feedback.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. Kokumo

Kokumo

The response is fine, but i don't get used to the idea of running all the time without any control but jump, strafe, and the super 90º turn (I know, it is the idea).
    I like the environment =)

3. beck

beck

Controls are fine to me. The 90 degree turns were awkward to me, needs some sort of indication that the player needs to act on the turn (i figured for the first few plays that it would do it automatically). The moving doors seem like they animate on a Lerp, which is awkward to time. It jumps back and forth rather than having a consistent timing. Pretty fun game though, I got 107.

4. Blacklight

Blacklight

Quick update:
    -New HUD. Does it move around too much?
    -Added framerate counter. Does it run alright for everyone?
    -Gave corners blue lights.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll see what I can do about a proper tutorial.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  5. Blacklight

Blacklight

Ok, basic tutorial is up.

6. CodeCody

CodeCody

Well I like it :D

The controls sort of through me off at first (kept hitting arrow keys and running into walls). But 508 points later I got the hang of it.

7. villie

villie

Hi,

Do you know "Temple Run" in the Appstore? It's kinda the same concept like yours. Just so you know, so you can make it different :)

Good luck!

8. Kokumo

Kokumo

-New HUD. Does it move around too much? --> not for me
    -Added framerate counter. Does it run alright for everyone? --> yes for me
    -Gave corners blue lights. --> what about a shinny arrow?... could be very useful to anticipate the corner

I'm sill having some troubles to control my handicapped runner :p
    What about make some changes?... for example, you could use A and D to strafe left and right, and SHIFT+A and SHIFT+B to turn left and right (or S instead SHIFT).
    Of course, it is only a suggestion.

9. Salim

Salim

I really like the concept! The controls were also an issue for me. Did you consider maybe mapping the controls so they feel like a common FPS (mouse to turn); or maybe just simplify them by removing the 90 degree turns and adding something else like a slide? Anyway, Keep it up!

10. ncst

ncst

For me, the counter just showed "FPS": I didn't see a framerate. I didn't think the HUD jumped around too much, but I wasn't sure I really liked the amount of up/down motion as you run. And, I can't make it around one of the 90-degree turns to save my life.

Could the turns be made a bit more gradual? 45-70 deg instead of right angles?

11. Blacklight

Blacklight

I might look into that.

I also get the same FPS problem that you do. Can I ask what browser you use?

12. Blacklight

Blacklight

Update:
    -Music
    -Arrows on corners
    -Turn indicator
    -Pause menu
    -Credits
    -Updated tutorial

Yeah, was a favorite for a long time, and an inspiration to make these kinds of games. Come to think of it, my game is perhaps a bit too similar. Thanks mate!

13. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Mirrors Edge much? ;)

14. Blacklight

Blacklight

Never played that one.

Just fixed a few things and re-uploaded. It has a title now! :D

15. Trackpants

Trackpants

Runs alright, the controls are awkward and feel un-intuitive.

the frame rate counter said framerate error.

Using google chrome

16. twitchfactor

twitchfactor

Sorry, but you're wrong.

This is only like Mirror's Edge in the sense that it's a FPS, where you move. The lighting's not the same, the setting's not the same, the play-mechanics aren't the same, there aren't even textures on these walls (look closely at Mirror's Edge, it's not just blank monochrome texture-less blocks), I don't even see any obscure influence.

Whomever mentioned Temple Run was closer, but even then it's not the same, except it's an endless runner with 90-degree turns. Unfortunately for this game, the 90-degree turns work a lot better in Temple Run than here. Of course, this is a prototype, so that can all be fixed.

Cool stuff. Keep up the good work.

17. WIURGN

WIURGN

I like this kind of games really much :D These are really good time wasters. Increasing speed and new obstacles makes your heart beat faster and excite you even more!

BUT There is stereotype problems for this genre; This genre has a common pattern as looping gameplay. When you fail, you must start from the very begining. Thus your game will suffer serious amount "play desire" reduction because running speed resets for begining value also due to repeating enviroment and/or obstacles excitement of player runs out really fast. Players going to think like "Ok, Im pretty satisfied with this score." soon and quit playing game.

You can overcome these by adding level system for your game which means new obstacles to overcome, maybe an aim for every level or end of game by doing so you will create curiousity in players heart. Maybe checkpoints for every X amount of meter so we dont need to reset our speed to minimum, maybe different kinds of enviroment like icy,sticky floor or invert controls for duration, maybe some power ups or permanent upgrades. Some of these features will increase your gameplay for sure :)))

IMO you are programmer more than a graphic designer like me right? :D Here some problems you can tweak in an instant.
    1-) Give more strafe sensivity for percision. when you press strafe buttons slower to faster movement bothers me :/
    2-) Generate random instantiate values for obstacle creation distance. Make unpredictably appearing objects.
    3-) That up and down moving stick is true TROLL for your game :/ if its creation timing is right you will doomed either way. Adding a floor slide movement control for S button solves it big time.

18. Kokumo

Kokumo

- Framerate doesn't work
    - Arrows at the end of corridors works for me (although i think they could be more useful with glowing effect, like exit signs).
    - My handicaped runner has some trouble when jumping obstacles... o_O i need to do something

19. xzile40

xzile40

This is pretty nice. It took me a minute to get the controls down but I got it :) good job, everything works for me.

20. gregmax17

gregmax17

I really like this game. The controls take a bit of getting used to, and even then, I still sometimes make a slip of hitting the wrong key. Great work!

21. Blacklight

Blacklight

Yeah, the framerate script is kind of broken on a lot of computers, but I can't find out why. Perhaps a rewrite could fix it. Also, what do you mean by 'handicapped runner'?

Thanks for writing all that, I really appreciate it. :)

I understand what you mean by playability, and I do find a lot of those ideas quite appealing. I might just implement some.

And yes, the rotating stick is a real troll, but I don't remember finding any instances where I couldn't navigate past it. Needless to say, it needs work.

Thanks to everyone who has played! Looks like I have more work to do. :D

22. Blacklight

Blacklight

Update Time:
    -Added sliding and a couple of related obstacles. No longer are those rotating bars impossible.
    -Sharpened the strafing.
    -Character's collider now reduces in size when jumping to prevent catching on an block below the camera's view.

23. WIURGN

WIURGN

Loved that new obstacle for slide and jump :D Good idea, good work.

24. CatOnTheRoof

CatOnTheRoof

This is quite fun! If you push it even further, say, not only turns right or left but up and down, and change gravity depending on the tunnel, that would be really awesome. Add to this some cool graphics and you've got a very solid game.

25. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

Not bad, reminds me of a mirror's edge type game

26. Kokumo

Kokumo

Because can't evade obstacles that need to be jumped!

27. Blacklight

Blacklight

Update:
    -Modified the scoring slightly, and made some of the harder obstacles only spawn later in the game.
    -You can now start at different score levels, providing that you have unlocked them before.
    -Widened the 'doorway' obstacles slightly.

28. _Petroz

_Petroz

On my first run I felt like the turns were a little unforgiving but after a couple of runs I got a feel for the timing and it seemed fine. I think there is a good challenge level here, I haven't played "Temple Run" so I cannot comment on how similar this is, but I had fun. I think it's a great little game! :D

29. Blacklight

Blacklight

Thanks!

30. softwizz

softwizz

good game, got highscore of 581
    You forgot to mention 's' is to crouch.

31. HolBol

HolBol

Dude, how do you crouch? :L

EDIT: Ignore that.

Great game, btw.

EDIT: High score of 601 ;)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  32. jimmyismike

jimmyismike

This is amazing. Very addictive to.

33. fivearchers

fivearchers

Not too bad of a start. Since this is a temple run sort of deal, do you think mouse controls could be added, then you'd be ready for tablet controls! So L/R U/D swipes!

34. pandiman

pandiman

Other than the moving doors' unbelievably annoying habit of moving right when you assume they won't, its a very fun game. You may as well remove the frame rate counter though, its useless.
    High score 1127