Search Unity

Performance on Laptops/slower machines and the Flash in a flash competition

Discussion in 'Flash' started by TyrusPeace, Jan 1, 2012.

1. TyrusPeace

TyrusPeace

EDIT:While performance for Flash in general is still worse than expected, these performance issues specifically are related to calling FixedUpdate on some machines. When moving my physics logic to FixedUpdate from Update, with no measures taken to throttle the calculations, my performance increased drastically. This is pretty unexpected since, at the very least, Update should be getting called a lot more often than FixedUpdate.

I'd appreciate knowing the performance expectations for the Flash in a flash competition. On my desktop I get about the same performance as in other web builds when I run my game in Flash, minus some shader prettiness and anti-aliasing, but Flash builds just don't seem to "scale down" well. My framerate plummets to < 1fps on both my MacBook and my more graphically challenged desktop, both of which use integrated graphics that manage to run this project just fine not-in-Flash.

I get that this is a beta, and I'm very impressed with the work you guys have done. I'd just like to know how much I should optimize for these performance issues. My project runs fine in Flash on discrete graphics cards I've tested with, mainly my desktop's Radeon HD 5770.

Are there any assurances of what kind of machine these will be judged on? I can provide a link to an early build that should be representative of performance if desired, but these performance issues don't seem to be unique to me.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012