Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Indie Company

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Johnxyz, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Johnxyz

Johnxyz

Hi fellow unity users i need help with game development.
    I understand that i need at least indie company ( independent ) to be able to sell my work.
    In pass i made few small games and i think that i am ready with few of my collage friends to take this work to another level. We want to secure our self just in case by creating such indie company.

And there is the question:
    Is someone here who create already a small indie company ( independent ) ? I need information on to where should i go to present the logo of the company the name , copy right ( of the logo and name of the company ) and of course creation it.
    I understand that Indie company is usually a non physical company that exist on the internet ( i am okkei with that ).
    But what else ? I just need help with start on where to go and so on.
    Thank you for all the help.

( Btw. for me the best place to register such company is in Japan but i am okkei with different countries also )

2. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

If you want to make a legal entity to secure your company you have to contact the goverment service in your own country (or make an offshore company in another country). In any case a developer forum is not the place to ask for advice on the matter.

Find a lawyer and an accountant.

3. Johnxyz

Johnxyz

I am asking here cause i know there is a lot of experience people that already created Indie Company and are using Unity 3D that's why i am thinking that asking here would be great before going to lawyer that will put on you dozens of useless information's. I prefer to ask those who know how to do such things.

4. Diviner

Diviner

As koyima said, find a lawyer and an accountant. They will inform you of all of the available business models in your country and which fits in your case. Usually, the limitted (ltd) model works best for small indie companies like this.

As for trademarks and copyrights, even though your lawyer will probably inform you, bear in mind that you are selling on the international market. With that in mind, your logos should be copyrighted in more than just your own country. There's something called the "Madrid System" which your lawyer should look into if he hasn't dealt with international copyright laws (I had to point this system out to our own laywer since she didn't have experience with international copyrights). You can learn more here :

http://www.wipo.int/madrid/en/

5. Johnxyz

Johnxyz

And this is a use full information thank you very much Diviner.

6. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Just a quick heads up: If you don't know this stuff, if this is your first time doing this stuff, if you have never done anything like this stuff before, if you don't have many thousands of dollars (or local equivalent) to pay all of the fees and service charges on this stuff, and you don't yet have anything to actually sell (and then, even if you do have something to sell) DON'T GO FILING A S***LOAD OF PAPERWORK unless your country actually demands that you do and will throw you in jail for a very long time if you don't. Even the most draconian dictatorships will let you get up and going in business without chasing down international copyrights and trademarks -- with trademarks it's not just the expense of filing, but also the ongoing expense of protection -- and filing business licenses and acquiring tax numbers until you are well in to making some money. There's two reasons for this: Every government in the world recognises the need to let small businesses start up easily so that they can grow in to large businesses that pay tax, and every government in the world doesn't want to deal with every newb with a business idea filing reams of paperwork and then letting their responsibilities lapse and the government has to spend time and resources chasing down a deadbeat paperwork filer.

Rather than worrying about whether you have your business S*** together, why not make a product to sell as your top priority? Classic cart and horse problem.

I'm on my fifth company. Two of them never filed any kind of paperwork. The other three certainly never filed anything in the first year or two until I had some actual income and a product or service I could sell. This current company existed for three years before I registered it officially. I've also sold just products under my own name, no company involved, so unless you need a retail license (doubtful) or you need a seller's permit (possible, but still does not have a company requirement) then get product moving before you start sweating about these details.**

Worrying about officially starting a business before you are in business just shows ignorance on what business is. It's easier to get forgiveness than permission, especially where government is concerned.

** This assumes, of course, that you aren't attempting to open a retail establishment or chasing contracts from a government entity or an entity that wishes it was the government in which case, you can mostly ignore everything I said.

For information and resources:
    Any local library will have a couple of books on starting a small business. If you are in college, you can also go to your college library.
    If you are in college, go talk to your advisor/professor and ask if there is a business course. The people who teach that course can also advise you and guide you.
    Go to your local chamber of commerce in your town and inquire about starting a small business.
    Whilst you are at your local chamber of commerce, ask about small business mentors and advisors. These people are usually retired business professionals that can mentor you through your early days.
    If you have a citizens advice bureau, go there and ask about starting a small business.
    Chamber of commerce and citizens advice will have information on local small business workshops that can show you how to get started as well.
    Go to various business network meetings (take a humble attitude with you) and talk to people. You will meet other entrepreneurs and you will also meet seasoned business professionals who can advise you.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012