Search Unity

FPS Constructor - Makes creating an FPS easy!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jason_DB, Dec 30, 2011.

1. rmele09

rmele09

Do you guys regularly check your support forums? I recently purchased the constructor and need some assistance. I started a thread on the forum but haven't heard back from you guys.

2. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Normally we get an email notifier when someone posts. We also check every couple of days in case the email doesn't get sent (which appears to have happened this time). I'll take a look at it now.

3. rmele09

rmele09

Thanks for helping out guys

4. Avanger

Avanger

man i dont know what's happen i have reimported pack but i dont know what's happen i have a lot of errors and when i fire effect's no have material setted and will be al violet can you help me or send pack worked i but after reboot my pc have a lot of errors i use unity 3.5

5. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Shadow93 send your project to info@dastardlybanana.com and we'll take a look at it.

6. Avanger

Avanger

i will send you PM with Pack sry my email i dont know what's happen dont worck so good

7. r33lwhiteboy

r33lwhiteboy

DUDE! I've seen this on Youtube! Congrats!

8. SevenBits

SevenBits

There is clearly a need for this type of product, and they stormed in at a niche time.

9. unicat

unicat

Hi, is it possible to climb ladders with this kit ? I really need it for my FPS Game. Thank You.

10. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@R33Lwhiteboy - thanks!

@unicat - It's not included by default, but it could be worked into an individual project.

11. unicat

unicat

Thank You. Take it to the wish list. If it`s in i am buying this.

12. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Hey guys, is it possible to control the gun and the head of the character separately? I was thinking in something like this (check minute 6:40): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wXx3vMy_AQ

I don't need out of the box integration with TrackIR, I only need an easy way to control the gun and the head of the character separately. I only chose that video because it describes perfectly the reason why I think this feature is important.

13. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@davidguitierrezpalma It would be possible, since the main camera is separate from the weapons. The only issue that comes to mind is that the default trick for preventing guns from clipping into walls would not work, since you would have to deactivate the second weapon camera.

14. Nomad Soul

Nomad Soul

Hi

Is there a list of all the features in the releases of FPS Constructor somewhere?

If I purchase now will future updates like the ones with mobile support be free?

Does the package include AI to make enemies use the guns against the player? I can only see static targets in the demo

Is there any scripts for things like HUD damage when the player is injured? or health items to pickup?

What about things like blood decals, headshots, kill multipliers etc?

I can do modelling, animation and level design but the script / AI support is really important for me.

15. Meltdown

Meltdown

I'm doing a conversion for one of your customers. They have an FPS and they want it working on mobile.
    I'm using the Joystick.js file from the Penelope Unity tutorial for thumbsticks for mobile.
    I'm getting some very strange behaviour...

In MouseLookDB.cs..

I'm changing

Code (csharp):
    1. rotationX += Input.GetAxis("Mouse X") * sensitivityX;
    2. to
    3. rotationX += rotationJoyStick.position.x * sensitivityX;
    And in FPSInputControllerDB.js

I'm changing

Code (csharp):
    1. var directionVector = new Vector3(Input.GetAxis("Horizontal"), 0, Input.GetAxis("Vertical"));
    2. to
    3. var directionVector = new Vector3(directionJoystick.position.x, 0, directionJoystick.position.y);
    The first problem I have is with the rotation. When I rotate my player, the gun and arms seem to go all over the place. It works in most cases but sometimes the arms go off to the side and in general it doesn't look right.

The second problem I have is with movement. When I move the character around, it works fine. But if I try and rotate the character around, then move, the movement ends up being reversed.

The axes input for my sticks are normalized and work as any input axis would. Even when the player walks backwards, the axes input is correct. All I'm changing in your script is the lines above, so I have no idea why these problems are occurring.

EDIT : RESOLVED!
    Having a mouselookDB script on both the player and the weapon camera seemed to be causing the issue. I remove the mouselookDB script from the weapon camera and it all seems to work now.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  16. Meltdown

Meltdown

This. Trying to get this to work in my C# project has been one massive pain in the A$$!!
    Although thats more related to Unity's implementation of US than anything else.

17. davew175

davew175

Glad you got the first problem fixed. Can you send an email to info@dastardlybanana.com, I'd like to talk to you about the mobile port.

18. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

As for a C# version, it seems like the interest is there, so it could be a future update. Our focus right for the near future is multiplayer/full model support (and some other general improvements in customizability), so a full C# version wouldn't be coming very soon.

19. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Submitted Version 1.1 to the asset store! All sorts of cool stuff, including mobile compatibility, so now your iOS or Android shooter can get a head start! We've also added a new input system to allow for mobile controls. But don't let that overshadow the other additions :
    • A new input system for open-ended control customization
    • A new interaction system to let your player interact with things in the game world
    • New static variables and functions to control the player, which makes having total control of your game even easier.
    • Leaning!
    • Improved Weapon Sway (it actually looks pretty good now)
    • Sample pickups, enemies, and an awesome new sample weapon!

I'm actually very excited about the new player control variables, because it's basically an open door to allow additions like ladder-climbing, cod-style obstacle climbing, stealth kills, etc.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  20. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

FPS Constructor version 1.1 just went live on the asset store! (Now's the perfect time to get started on getting your FPS on the app store :D)

21. UnlimitedEdition

UnlimitedEdition

Looks sweet, gonna download it tonight

22. filipilic

filipilic

Do u have to pay for every new version or is it pay once and get future updates for free?

23. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@filipilic future updates are free.

24. SevenBits

SevenBits

I'm having the same issue. Unity fails to compile because of the script compilation order. Uh...

25. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@ What are you trying to reference? There is probably another way around it. Worst come to worst, you could probably drop the 'FPS Constructor V1' folder into one of the early-compiling folders like standard assets.

26. Entlight

Entlight

I played the demo and i saw that the pistol had a scope could u put the scope on the boltaction rifle to make it sort of sniper?

27. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Bizzlebeat you can put a scope on any weapon, including the rifle.

28. bbsbot

bbsbot

Hello, Jason

just saw the demo, very impressive package. well done.
    you have done an update recently, and I wonder what the "Sample Enemies" looks like. how simple? do they have simple character models and AI?

here are my suggest:
    make a new demo that include the new things come from version 1.1.
    update all weapon's models and textures for better look. and also, the hand and arm.
    I think it will looks much better if you done that. by the way, there is only one 9mm look pistol in the demo, suggest add a more powerfull one. such as eagle.
    add 2 simple/game-ready character models for enemy.
    such as terrorist/army weared camo clothes and black mask; gangster with heavy muscle.
    add a simple and worked menu about "new game, load, save, exit, pause."

look forward to your next update, Good luck, Jason.

29. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@bbsbot they are as simple as you could imagine. They're really just there to show how to make an enemy that can damage the player and be damaged.

Suggestions 2 and 3 are unfortunately not really possible right now (I am not an artist, and this isn't intended to be an art pack). Going by the prices of animated models I've seen, the package would need a price jump if I added in a bunch of art. We've made it as easy as possible to implement your own art, though.

I like the menu idea, though. The package could use a standard setup for that kind of stuff. Also we're looking into making a new/better demo.

30. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

We're finishing up an update (hopefully to submit this weekend) which fixes a serious problem we found in 3.5.2 where changing values on prefabs would result in changes being lost at runtime. In the meantime, add the following two lines at the end of the OnIspectorGUI() functions in the editor scripts (in ScriptsDB/Editor) if you're having problems.
    We've also made the entire project compile in one pass, so those of you using c# can drag it into a folder called 'Plugins' to fix compilation order problems. Anyone importing into a new project will have it already in Plugins.

31. tripknotix

tripknotix

Was this issue, "changing values on prefabs would result in changes being lost at runtime.", existent in your other products or previous versions Jason?

32. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

It was showing up in the most recent version of the FPS Constructor in 3.5.2. We had no reports of it occurring in previous versions, but if you're using a previous version and run into the problem the same fix should work.

33. bbsbot

bbsbot

Hello, Jason

glad to hear you like the menu idea, surely, a simple menu with newgame, save/load, exit, pause features all worked is very helpfull.

here are more ideas:
    c4, that can place on any surface. walls, floors, after placed, it auto countdown 10 or 30 or 60 second , then explode. the explode should apply force to the surface and damage surround enemys, imagine that player can explode walls to get pass through blocked way.
    night vision view, no need new models, just press a button/key , then whole screen become green/blue and lighten.
    I saw your weapon upgrade and store package thread, why not add more scope, silencer, laser pointer, flash light to this package?no need include that package's upgrade/store systerm, just a few weapon with these allready attached and worked.

look forward to your next update.

34. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@bbsbot

We're actually already in the process of adding the upgrades and store into the package. I like the c4 idea, because making example weapons like that helps to show people how they can really use the system to their advantage. The night vision is tricky, though, because I don't know a way to do it that will work with the free version of Unity.

35. TheBooBear

TheBooBear

Just to let your know, your demo scene works just fine compiled and deployed to an Samsung Galaxy 10.1. Bit hard to aim but works.

36. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@DrunkenMonkey Thanks for letting me know! We don't have a suitable android device, so we couldn't 100% confim it would work on one until now.

37. tripknotix

tripknotix

Its showing up in the Store and gadgets version, i will try the fix. i had fixed so many bugs with that system but i couldn't fix that one. Glad to hear your adding the upgrade and shop system to it

38. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@tripknotix I've been wanting to get the upgrades in here for awhile. It was stuck in kind of a weird place on Activeden, especially since we had to bundle the free .95 FPS Constructor with the paid download (which confused a lot of people).

Also I just really like the upgrades system, so it was a shame that it was stuck in Activeden where almost nobody would see it :p.

It's going to take a week or two to get the store ready for release, although if it looks like it'll take too long to get the store going we'll hols it back and release the upgrades first without it.

39. Luke-Houlihan

Luke-Houlihan

What type of mobile controls are the example ones? How hard would it be to switch them out for custom ones? Im using NGUI for all UI stuff so im trying to avoid GUITextures and stuff.

Thanks

40. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Luke the controls are very easy to switch out - each control is a self-contained component that can either be modified or replaced entirely. The included samples do use Unity GUI so you would probably want to switch them out.

41. bbsbot

bbsbot

Hello Jason

here are more ideas:
    add a few scripts about npc AI, easy use. I mean when game maker place a character model in unity, they can attach your AI scripts by just drag and drop to the character, and it worked.
    seeking enemy/player and run to it and shoot when in hitable weapon range.
    if a wall nearby , they know take cover and shoot there.
    escape, for citizens/hostage.
    walk patrol for enemy patrol or citizen walk in street. and if player attack enemy or enemy found player, they act like the "1" above.
    partner for player. partner can follow player and attack enemy.

No need use a game ready model, you may like to use the army model in the bootycamp official demo, or you may just use a cube act as npc to show your script.

I hope the next update include bellow:
    menu with new/save/load/exit, all features worked. and when menu show up, the game pause.
    npc scripts like what I said above.
    small pistol with silencer, sniper's gun with scope...I saw the demo of upgrade and shop package before, looks ok, but I like a more simple one.
    again, a better model and texture for hand and arm, give it a try.

about night vision, don't like it slow the process, not important as other ideas.
    good luck.

42. NightHawk

NightHawk

Hello!

I have a few ideas for the FPS Constructor.

1. Is it possible to have multiple weapon animations? Like different firing animations where the gun goes at a different angle. For example, the first animation the weapon goes upwards, second animation the weapon goes to the right, and third it goes to the left. I am not sure if I explained it that well...

2. Is it possible to have more movement features like Vaulting, Wall Running, and Sliding on the ground (Like in Crysis 2)?

3. Is it possible to give out the AI scripts from cube shooter? Because it's kind of fun to shoot moving cubes :D.

4. Is it possible for a weapon mobility (Kind of like in COD) where if you have a certain weapon it changes your speed.

5. Is it possible to add groups for weapons? Like if you had an M4 but you have 3 other varients. For example, 1 M4 is normal, another has a Red Dot Sight, and another has a grenade launcher. Having 10 other weapons with 3 other attachments will be kind of hard to keep track of but if it was in a group then it may be simpiler.

6. Is it possible for an Laser Attachment?

7. Is it possible to have different weapon slots. For example, slot 1 is for Assault rifles, SMGs LMGs, and Sniper Rifles, slot 2 is for Pistols, slot 3 is for Grenades, and slot 4 is for Melee Weapons.

8. Is it possible to have cookable, impact, flashbang, and smoke grenades?

9. Is is possible to make things like a portal gun, grappling hook, teleporter gun, or a gravity gun?

10. Is it possible to make a object creating gun?

11. Is it possible to have a throwable charge that can be blow up at the players will?

12. Is it possible to have magic hands like in Skyrim?

13. In the free version of the weapon script and in the demo, the mouse movement was kind of bulky. Is it possible to have smooth mouse movement?

I have not brought the package but the demo looks great :D.
    I just have some ideas :)

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  43. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Nighthawk

1. It isn't included except for melee weapons. You could write a very simple component to do it. If you buy the package and need help making it email info@dastardlybanana.com.

2. I think so. We've been working on expanding the customizability of the package. Basically you can use certain functions to override the player's control/etc and could play an animation. For the vaulting example - when you get to a wall and hit the button you could stop the player's motion, hide their weapon, and play an animation for vaulting.

3. The most recent version actually has cubeshooter-like AI in it as an example.

4. Not exactly - you can only change how long the player can sprint for per weapon. Now that you mention it I should add it in.

5. That's the big thing about the upgrades system we're adding in. You can modify a weapon with new scopes, properties, attachments, basically anything. I made a video awhile back where I made a version of Black Ops' dual mags attachment (alternating reload speeds and animations).

6. Yes. Any weapon can be a secondary weapon.

7. That's how the upgrades/store system works by default. I don't believe the pickup system does, though. I'll have to look into adding it if not.

8-12. You can make essentially any weapon in the package, using the charge weapon system and some little scripting/creativity. Charge weapons, if you want, basically allow you to hijack the system and do whatever you feel like. Also important is that projectile weapons can fire anything with a rigidbody, which leaves a lot of options open for scripting a special projectile.

13. Not currently.

@bbsbot we aren't currently focusing on AI. As I understand it there are better AI packages out there already that I am likely to make, so I would rather focus on expanding refining the things we do best. I also don't have any serious plans to add more art to the package - high quality art is time consuming to make (especially because I am not an artist) and would distract our attention from improving the package.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  44. NightHawk

NightHawk

Hello!

I have found a bug in the demo...

1. If you aim down the sights and fire then while your firing you stop aiming down the sights then the hip fire accuracy will increase untill the player moves.

2. Sometimes the grenades from the grenade launcher go through the targets.

3. Sometimes when shooting an object there is no decal

Also I have a few more ideas.

1. Will it be possible to have ammo boxes or retrieve ammo from the same weapon that is on the ground?

2. Is it possible to have certain weapons be able to fire while sprinting? Like a player will be able to fire a pistol while sprinting.

3. Is it possible to have a weapon that can push the player? Like rocket jumping (Sort of like Quake)? Or is it the same answer as 7-12?

4. Is it possible to have a attachment like a hybrid sight form Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3?

5. Is it possible to have a attachment that can be toggled? Like a laser sight that can be turned off an on?

5a. Is it possible to have a flashlight/laser/etc and a grenade launcher/masterkey/etc. on 1 weapon? For example, a laser, grip, red dot sight on a assault rifle?

5b. Is it possible to have a attachments switched? For example, switch a masterkey with a grenade launcher.

6. Is it possible for the player to install attachments at will? Like exchange a red dot sight with a holographic sight at will?

7. Is it possible for the player to create his/her's own weapon in-game? Like a weapon customizer/creator?

8. Is it possible to have decals for explosions?

9. (I think this can already be done. I just have not tried it yet) Is it possible to have a melee weapon that can be thrown? For example, A knife. Left click to melee, right click to throw.

10. Is it possible to have glow in the dark sights? (I have a feeling this is a unity shader) Like in Cod: Black ops?

11. Is it possible to change fire modes (Semi-Auto, Burst, Full auto) like in battlefield 3?

12. Is it possible to have rockets that follow the crosshairs?

13. Is it possible to have a weapon that can tag objects (Like in battlefield)?

14. Is it possible for the orbital laser to be a rocket instead?

14a. Is it possible to have something like a predator missile like in Cod?

15. Is it possible to have the penetration level decrease by 1 on the weapon per penetration?

16. Is it possible to have the rate of fire calculated also by RPM (Rounds Per Minute)?

17. Is it possible to have different aim speeds for different weapons?

45. bbsbot

bbsbot

Hello, Jason

@jason
    oh, yes. there are allready some package about AI. and no package can include everything.
    so I look forward to the "simple menu" and your "weapon upgrade systerm", hope they will be in the next update. oh, by the way, the c4 idea is also sweet, if it done.

good luck.

46. oliverdjc

oliverdjc

Hello,

I want to buy this today, but is it for like learning uses or do i get a commercial licence to use the weapons in my game?

Thank you, Oli.

47. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@ NightHawk Hey!

For the bugs:

1. Could you be more specific? I'm trying to recreate the problem and am not sure what I'm looking for exactly.

2. I think I know what causes it, so I'll look into it.

3. Any objects in particular?

For the features:

1. Yes. The new update has ammo boxes, we just haven't replaced the demo yet.

2. Not currently, but it's an interesting idea.

3. I think so. I've been curious about this myself, but have't looked into it fully.

4. Yes.

5. Yes.

6. The only limit is that there can be only one 'secondary weapon' active at a time (like an underbarrel grenade launcher or flamethrower). Other than that you have as many different kinds of concurrent attachments as you want.

7. Sort of. The next update has our upgrade system, which includes an interface for customizing weapons with attachments/etc.

8. They aren't supported currently, just because the decal system couldn't handle decals that size well.

9. Yes.

10. You're right, that is a shader thing. I personally like the self-illuminated shaders as as easy way to make something like that.

11. It will be, with the upgrades in out next update.

12. Yes. Projectile weapons can instantiate anything you want (as long as it has a rigidbody). That means that a rocket can be scripted to do anything.

13. Yes.

14. Yes.

14a. Yes. I think that would be a case where you just override the player completely.

15. It already does. Different object can have different 'penetrate values' that are required to penetrate them. That value is subtracted from the bullet's penetration every time is goes through an object.

16. It's calculated by rounds per second. Just divide your RPM by 60 to get the RPS value you need.

17. Yes.

@bbsbot The menu won't be in the next because it we're already getting ready to put it out, but the one after that has some menu stuff so it makes sense to put it there. The upgrades are going to be in, just without the store.

48. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@oliverdjc You can use it for a commercial product.

49. BGT

BGT

Hi Jason,

I purchased the pack some weeks ago, and saved me lots of work for my FPS, but after spending some hours reading the scripts trying to understand the "Alt fire" logic, I can't understand how it really works. I know the FAL has a Laucher as second weapon and it works, but I can't make it work with any other weapon, specially when primary is Hitscan and secondary is Melee. I'm just trying to have a machine gun that has an Alt fire as melee, hiting with the stock, as InstantFire and no SecondaryInterrupt.

I've checked all the code in GunScript, PlayerWeapons and GunChildAnimations and seems that always in FireAlt() function in GunScript, the variable "isPrimaryWeapon" is always True, so never fires. This also happends to me when I set the FAL with a Melee secondary weapon. Could you make a test to check if works for you?

Thanks Jason!

50. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@BGT isPrimaryWeapon is actually changed in the inspector, at the checkbox for 'Primary Weapon' under 'Alt-Fire properties'. Just to double check - do you have the melee GunScript dragged into the 'Secondary Weapon' slot on the primary GunScript?