Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

FPS Constructor - Makes creating an FPS easy!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jason_DB, Dec 30, 2011.

1. brown2na

brown2na

David provided first rate support, definitely recommend their service!

2. davew175

davew175

Hello All,

Version 1.01 is now on the Asset Store. Here are the release notes for this update.

Also, just a reminder that we've setup a support forum at http://www.dastardlybanana.com/forums

Release Notes.

**Version 1.01 - January 8, 2012

This release contains several bug fixes and a modification to allow C# event receivers.

EffectsManager
    -Fixed a serious bug that was causing effect set configuration to be lost in prefabs. This prevented the Manager Prefab from working properly in new scenes
    -If no effect sets exist an initial set is now created.
    -Prevented the last set from being deleted in the inspector

EnemyDamageReceiver
    -The ApplyDamage event sent by GunScript was modified to send an Object Array rather than a Native JavaScript Array. This was necessary to enable custom C# DamageReceivers. If you've created a custom DamageReceiver you'll need to change the signature of the ApplyDamage function.
    -Because an Object[] is passed you'll need to use parseFloat(Arr[0]) to access the damage as a float value.

To: function ApplyDamage(Arr: GameObject[]) {...}

-Thanks to @Drunken Monkey for reporting the issue and coming up with the Fix!
    -Thanks to Declan Hopkins for reporting the SmartCrossHair issue.

3. aspide

aspide

It seems it's not buyable yet...

Edit :
    My bad, it was my unity copy that was at 3,4,0 and I thought I had followed all the updates.....

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  4. davew175

davew175

@Apside - So it was just an issue with accessing the Asset Store?

5. aspide

aspide

Nope, it was my fault. I was sure to have applied all of the updates to the editor but it wasn't true. The asset store have found checking my version id that the package was not compatible and therefore it didn't let me buy it. Wise logic....

Anyway, after have bought the package I've found that it misses some files (i.e. CharacterMotorDB and TimedObjectDestructionDB . I installed onto two separate projects and had the same issue so I guess it's a package problem. @Jason, I will post this issue to the support forums too. Hope you can look after it :)

6. davew175

davew175

The problem @Apside reports occurs when importing the package into in existing project where the standard Assets Folders already existing. We're working through the issue on our support forum and will have a general fix very soon.

In the mean time you can import into a clean project or contact us for import instructions.

Thanks!

Update: We'll be submitting 1.02 this weekend to fix the issue importing into an existing project. If you need help before then just send an email to info@dastardlybanana.com or use our support forums.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  7. Pulov

Pulov

Awesome.!!! The second after it becomes android compatible with basic touch controls I'll buy this package.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  8. Pulov

Pulov

Hmm finally I've decided to get another package,, but just for now, as it is more mature and works on mobil but I'll be keeping an eye on yours because I'm sure I'll get it sooner or later.

Testing it for a while I missed:

_Head boob while running. It improves much the running feel.
    _I dont know this movements name but it is available usually while pressing Q or E and it lets you stay covered while you bend your torso for shooting.
    _Defining some planes in the editor and as "cover" so that in play time we press a button and we get in cover position and while undercover quickly get out for shooting by pressing point/shoot but and after releasing shoot button get back to cover automatically.
    _Lay down position. To get top accuracy with the machinegun/rifle.

9. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Pulov
    -Head bob is supported, just not included in the demo. The camera can be animated, and it has support for walking and sprinting animations.
    -That's lean, and It could be a cool addition in the future.
    -Cover- I don't know if it would be included in the package, but I'll at least look into how it could be implemented to see if it is supported.
    -Prone (Lying down) - Also planned as an addition.

10. Duskling

Duskling

I really love this package, but It is not very practical for use in a multiplayer game.

You can't use player models ( other than just arms and a gun ), and from what I see there is not a decent way to implement it without rewriting all the code. I really hope that this package gets updated, or at least I can figure out how to get player models in.

EDIT:

Right now I am going to edit up alot of things and try to get it working with player models. If I get anything I will post a webplayer of sorts.

EDIT 2:

Didn't really find a way to do it . The way that this kit is programmed, I don't think that it is even possible to have player models. I hope that it isn't too late for me to get a refund.

If anyone knows how to integrate player models into this kit, please do tell me.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  11. brown2na

brown2na

I do hope they work player models into the pack as it is something I have planned in the future with it.

12. Duskling

Duskling

I hope so too.

But I'm not sure if it would be possible without doing ALOT. I mean it's just the way that it is programmed, from where I can see it. It is programmed around an arms and a gun model. Hopefully he can find some way around this.

Can we get any confirmation of player models?

Also, please don't get mad at me if I am driving away customers. I am just alerting people because there may be some false advertising.
    "All the features of a modern shooter". Modern shooters have player models ;3

Still trying to find the right person to talk to for a refund in case I go down that route.

13. davew175

davew175

Mr Duskling,

I do wish you would reach out to us directly with your questions so we can clear things up.

The arms are part of the FPS models that are provided as part of the package. The package has no dependency on 'arms only'. Also, at this time we don't advertise that we support multiplayer. That's something we're planning to add in the future but it's not there now.

I don't know how the asset store handles refunds but they certainly don't do it through the forums. I'll be glad to make sure you get your refund but this isn't the way to get support.

@brown2a - we'll be glad to help you integrate player models. We're working on expanding the documentation and creating addition video tutorials.

14. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

With regard to the player models - I have been looking into it in order to respond to your email with specifics, but I suppose I'll just post it here now...

Player models could be tied into the existing animation system. The key is that the actual activating/deactivating of weapons wouldn't change the weapons on the model, but instead you would piggyback your own model onto the messages that are sent by default. You can also tie the movement animation directly into the FPS Controller.

Most changes in the FPS Constructor are done with messages, which means that you can tie in your own systems. In the future, we intend to work those messages into the documentation so that it is easier to see what is possible.

As far as official integration, I would expect player models/multiplayer support to be next after mobile compatibility.

Also, I would say that 'false advertising' is something of a stretch. We have made it clear that multiplayer support is something we intend to add, not an included feature.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  15. brown2na

brown2na

Thanks for the clarification, I'm loving the product so far and it looked like it was possible but wanted to clear that up. You guys are doing a good job with the product and I fully support it. :D

16. davew175

davew175

Just a quick update on the 1.02 release that fixes the problem importing the package into an existing project. We submitted it to the asset store on Sunday but it hasn't been reviewed yet. Hopefully it will be available tomorrow.

We're hard at work on the next update which will provide iOS and Android compatibility (with controls to follow in a later release). We're also working prioritizing features for upcoming releases and want your feedback (we've gotten some already!)

Update: it's now Friday and 1.02 still isn't on the asset store. Somebody must be on vacation this week :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  17. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

For any of you interested in taking a crack at multiplayer before we do, here's a rough list of where/how to integrate it into the player.

• to track their current animation state, you'd have to tie into GunChildAnimation, which has most of the animation calls you would need.
    • For handling sprinting/crouching, you can catch messages on the player which indicate when you have stopped or started (originating in CharacterMotorDB).
    • to track their current weapon, use PlayerWeapons.
    • PlayerHealth stores health.
    Just about anything else you would need is probably relayed in a message on the player already. The modular nature of how the package is set up means we have to communicate a lot of this information already, which makes it much easier to tie in something new.

Also, new trailer video!

18. davew175

davew175

1.02 is now available in the Asset Store. Please read the release notes and documentation before upgrading from a previous version.

19. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Really fantastic work guys! Looking forward to the Multiplayer and mobile rev. Once in. I'll buy.

20. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Just a quick note about the status of the next update - we currently have it compiling on mobile, and are working on abstracting out the controls so that mobile controls are easier to make.

21. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

I think more people would consider buying this nice package if it had C# version! :)

22. Korok

Korok

You're awesome, the preview clip is so cool :D

23. Drunken-Monkey

Drunken-Monkey

I already purchased it, but would love to see a C# version.

24. davew175

davew175

Are there specific parts of the package you'd like to see in C#?

We have a number messages and user hooks that can be used with C# and we'll be adding more. The core parts will probably stay in Javascript but we'd like to make sure it's easy to extend using C#. Definitely send along any specific requests.

25. coin-god

coin-god

Congratulations Guys. This looks fantastic.

26. WHHoog

WHHoog

very cool! I will put it on my buy list... waiting for the mobile version :)

27. slimjim2417

slimjim2417

I Downloade this and immediatly after imorting this to unity I got an error in the gunscript script. It says that at line 22 it already contains a definition for Guntypes. Please help.

28. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@ slimjim this sounds like an import problem. Try reimporting, or if that doesn't work then import it into an empty project.

29. slimjim2417

slimjim2417

I imported into a new project then once I tried to re import all of my old assets the same error occurred.

30. slimjim2417

slimjim2417

Nevermind I think I found the problem, something in one of my others asset packages was interfering with this constructor. I just import what I need from that folder

31. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@slimjin2417 great! Be sure to email us at info@dastardlybanana.com or post on the support forum with any more questions.

32. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

The next update is going to have a new example weapon - the laser! This is another charge weapon, since the charge-type can be used for basically anything not covered by the basic types.

33. ArcDragon

ArcDragon

Hi Jason.
    When Player fired pointing a FAL on the ground, Player will fly.
    Please Help me.Thank you.

34. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@ArcDragon someone else reported this but I couldn't reproduce the issue. Could you send me your project (send it to jason@dastardlybanana.com) so I can try to find the problem?

35. ArcDragon

ArcDragon

@Jason Thanks for your reply.
    When I surveyed,My FPS constructor recovered!
    Bug disappeared.
    The issue is that "Radius of Character Controller is 1".

The FPS default package is "Radius is 0.661...".

So when I changed Radius value, it recovered.

Sorry to cause you so much trouble.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  36. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@ArcDragon No trouble! That actually helps, since I know what causes that issue now.

37. Toad

Toad

Just wondered if this was still being worked on and, if so, if there was an ETA for completion?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  38. coin-god

coin-god

I would like to add Fixed Weapons. What should I disable once I enter a Mounted Weapon (custom scripted) and how should I go about re enabling once I exit the Fixed weapon.

I still havn't tried anything, I rather ask first.

39. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@MattSimpson we're testing it now. It has the control stuff in it, just no default examples.

@coin-god I can't check specifically now. I'll take a look and get back to you tomorrow.

40. Toad

Toad

Great stuff Jason, thanks.
    Let me know if you want me to help out with any testing.

41. SeeleyBoothe

SeeleyBoothe

Just wondering if anyone has successfully intergrated models and a 3rd person view?

I love this but need some help going third person with it.

42. SeeleyBoothe

SeeleyBoothe

Also I would be curious to know if anyone has switched out the guns in the kit for thier own models?

Thanks

43. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@ SeeleyBoothe Switching out the models is actually very simple - just delete the model that's already there (it should be a couple of steps down in the hierarchy, and probably have 'model' in the name). Then drag your model into the same spot where the old one was and add the 'GunChildAnimation' component to it. If you have any problems just email info@dastardlybanana.com and we'll make sure to get everything working.

As for third person, the main issue is getting the player model integrated. If you have an animated model I could take a look at getting it in, although I'm very busy until May.

44. ahmed200705

ahmed200705

nice loved it

i will buy it soon but one thing warranty?

like if i bought it and something didnt work you need to fix it or i will return it right?

cause you know 75$ is alot for me i dont know about you!!

45. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@ahmed200705 If you run into any problems just email them to info@dastardlybanana.com and we will get it fixed. It is also possible to get a refund if you are unhappy with the product. We understand that 75$ isn't cheap so we try to make sure everyone gets the full value out of it.

46. ryandcreations

ryandcreations

This statement is actually very true, these guys have been really helpful with my project, having some issues right now but hopefully everything will be resolved soon! I 100% recommend this to anyone looking to make a FPS.

47. slimjim2417

slimjim2417

Just a quick little bit of feedback, do you think that in the next update you can make it so that after walking the gun will reposition it self back to the hip because after walking the aim down sight position gets messed up and can be fixed by carefully walking it back to place, but if you can in the next update change this to make it easier. Thanks

48. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@slimjim are you using walk animations, or the 'sway' variables on the gunscript?

49. slimjim2417

slimjim2417

i am but i still have this problem.

50. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@slimjim If that's happening and you're using walk animations, then there is a problem with your 'Null' animation. You want it to be keyed on the same objects as the walk animation.