Search Unity

Terrain performance issues

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by damsku, Dec 30, 2011.

1. damsku

damsku

Hi,

I am using the Unity terrain and am hitting some massive performance hits when moving the camera around from high enough.
    E.g during the culling, Terrain.Details.BuildPatchMesh is called over 1083 times and takes roughly 320ms, is there any trick I can do to decrease those figures? Or is it possible to somewhat distribute building the patches over a few frames?
    Thanks

2. cod

cod

same issue :(

3. Lucas_Wilkins

Lucas_Wilkins

4. snowcult

snowcult

Just a little push on this topic. Is there anything we can do to fix this?

I sit at a solid 160fps on my project, but when moving around, I get sudden spikes and a short screen lag. Consistently.

It's incredibly annoying.

5. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Increase the "Pixel Error" in the terrain settings to something like 10 or 20.

6. Brenden-Frank

Brenden-Frank

Larger the patch size, the longer it takes to build the patch mesh. The smaller the patch size, the more drawcalls you'll have so this too, is undesirable. This is a complicated issue I've been talking to Unity about. If the patch meshes aren't destroyed and created at runtime, they cause out of memory crashes very quickly. One solution they are considering is baking patch meshes to the terrain data, but this would increase build size significantly. There's a bug on it but it won't be fixed until 5.1

http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/iss...tch-meshes-at-runtime-which-causes-cpu-spikes

7. modernator24

modernator24

I'm currently facing this issue, and just like @makeshiftwings said, increasing pixel error helped to improve performance but there are so many ugly render results. My project was started from Unity 5.6.x and just upgraded to 2017.4, and there was a slightly better performance but still, a huge lag spike exists. I want to upgrade to something like 2018 or 2019, but external assets are not compatible with the latest version :(