Unity Community

View Poll Results: How is the new system?

Voters
343. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its great as it is, nothing needs to be changed.

193 56.27%
  • Its too complicated to use, it must be simplified!

105 30.61%
  • Its too hard to learn, I will not use this new system.

45 13.12%
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

1. Posts
    I also noticed that the Random Row option is not so random, it seems to disperse based on random lifespan if set. So I've got an explosion made of particles, and multiple billboards representing it, but it looks kinda rough because the last particles to fade out seem to be using the same row.

Also, what about tangents so we can do normal mapping. They did not seem to be set correctly either in any of my tests.
    Last edited by RElam; 03-26-2012 at 10:54 PM.

2. Location
    Fort Collins, CO, USA
    The Poll
    What a strange poll! Our only choices are 1) great, 2) complicated or 3) hard to learn (the last two are really the same option).

What about: Does it expose enough functionality? Is it flexible? Are the exposed variables name well? Are they well documented? Is the behavior as you'd expect? Does it have serious flaws? If so, what are they?

One Major Problem
    The problem with the new Shuriken system is that it does not expose enough of the inner working for programmatic manipulation.

For example, there is no way to get at the "Velocity over Lifetime" values in code. Or any of the other "modules", or am I missing something?

By the way: Whoever did the fireworks scene that came with the ShurikenExamples did some awesome work. Really nice!

3. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcroswell View Post
    The Poll
    What a strange poll! Our only choices are 1) great, 2) complicated or 3) hard to learn (the last two are really the same option).

What about: Does it expose enough functionality? Is it flexible? Are the exposed variables name well? Are they well documented? Is the behavior as you'd expect? Does it have serious flaws? If so, what are they?

One Major Problem
    The problem with the new Shuriken system is that it does not expose enough of the inner working for programmatic manipulation.

For example, there is no way to get at the "Velocity over Lifetime" values in code. Or any of the other "modules", or am I missing something?

By the way: Whoever did the fireworks scene that came with the ShurikenExamples did some awesome work. Really nice!
    I second this issue - I'd love for some way to get access to particle modules, at the very least something like GetModule(string name).GetProperty(string name) if for some reason it's hard to expose it directly.

4. Location
    Fort Collins, CO, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by WBDN View Post
    You're never ever supposed to get that error. Can you submit a bug that reproduces it? Then I can also find out why.
    If I recall, one way to get this error is to go into the ShurikenExamples and disable a sub-emitter.

Actually, this is not correct, I forgot: if you disable, say the SmokeEmitter in the Fireworks scene, it will crash Unity.

5. Location
    Unity Technologies HQ, Copenhagen
    Since there seems to be a lot of noise about randomness in here I would just like to say that this is a known issue. There are a lot of properties that are random in the same way, i.e. there is strong correlation between randomness in different parts of the system.

I have fixed this, and it will be available in a future release of Unity.
    William
    Graphics Programmer at Unity

6. Location
    Medellin, Colombia
    Where is this lock to transform setting I keep reading about? I can't see it, sound to me like it would do something very similar to simulate in local space, was the option renamed or what's the difference and where is the option?

Also I'm experiencing some strange jittering with the particles when I parent them to the camera and the camera is moving quickly. These effects are set to simulate in local space and inherit 0 of the velocity.
    Director of Development
    C2 Estudio
    www.c2estudio.com

7. Posts
    Btw. would it be possible getting the pause exposed in the particle settings as well?
    I can't use these two things together.

8. Location
    Seattle, WA
    Are there any changes in the pipe that will improve the CPU performance on iOS? The old system seems to be much more perf friendly on iOS than this one.

9. Location
    Canada, Montreal
    Quote Originally Posted by LucidMovement View Post
    Are there any changes in the pipe that will improve the CPU performance on iOS? The old system seems to be much more perf friendly on iOS than this one.
    Hey Lucid,

Have you done a comparison of performance of both systems on iOS ? I'd be interested in the results. What devices did you test it on ?

The new system is actually multithreaded so thats a nice improvement right there. Also Batching DC of emitters will come in a future update so that's one I really look forward to.

10. Location
    Quote Originally Posted by ratamorph View Post
    Where is this lock to transform setting I keep reading about? I can't see it, sound to me like it would do something very similar to simulate in local space, was the option renamed or what's the difference and where is the option?
    This is the same thing as simulation space. It was called lock to transform during the beta period but was renamed.

Quote Originally Posted by ratamorph View Post
    Also I'm experiencing some strange jittering with the particles when I parent them to the camera and the camera is moving quickly. These effects are set to simulate in local space and inherit 0 of the velocity.
    Can you bug it please?
    William
    Graphics Programmer at Unity

11. Location
    Dallas, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by mcroswell View Post
    The Poll

One Major Problem

This is my main complaint. I guess for typical games, it's common to just set up an effect and fire it when you need it -- in my case, I'm often wanting to add procedural variety and I'm finding the new system to be restrictive.

One example of me having to come up with a silly workaround (because the color over time module isn't accessible): http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/125...through-script

I ended up having something close to what I wanted, but it's not even close to being ideal.

12. Posts
    Why does an initialisation with longer lifetimes takes longer/hogs the CPU?
    Last edited by taumel; 03-29-2012 at 12:42 AM.
    I can't use these two things together.

13. Posts
    I'd like to be able to change the mesh emitter at runtime through script.

14. Location
    Quote Originally Posted by manutoo View Post
    I'd like to be able to change the mesh emitter at runtime through script.
    Do you have the prewarm checkbox enabled? This makes sure that even on the first frame the particle system is fully initialized.
    Turn off the checkbox if it's not the behaviour you want.
    Joachim Ante

15. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joachim Ante View Post
    Do you have the prewarm checkbox enabled? This makes sure that even on the first frame the particle system is fully initialized.
    Turn off the checkbox if it's not the behaviour you want.
    No, I'd like to set the emitter mesh at runtime, so I can use the same Particle System on different meshes. Something like this :
    Code:  
    1. public Mesh SomeMesh;
    2. [...]
    3. ParticleSystem Ps = GetComponent<ParticleSystem>();
    4. Ps.mesh = SomeMesh;

Now, it seems that if I want to use the same particle system with different kind of mesh emitters, I have to duplicate it in the editor and create 1 prefab for each mesh I want.

I hope I'm more clear this time...

16. Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Hey Lucid,

Have you done a comparison of performance of both systems on iOS ? I'd be interested in the results. What devices did you test it on ?

The new system is actually multithreaded so thats a nice improvement right there. Also Batching DC of emitters will come in a future update so that's one I really look forward to.
    We have. I can't publish the data yet, waiting on approval. The gist of it is that the old system is much friendlier to the iPad2 than the new one is, specifically on the CPU. On PC the new one is better in nearly all respects. Haven't run my android test yet. I'll post more when I am able.

17. Posts
    I'd love to have a variety of coordinate systems possible. For instance, I'd love to have radial particles, it would make various effects much simpler to implement.

It'd also be nice to be able to vary each axis by a function over time (for instance SIN, etc).

Is there some way to have radial particles that I'm missing?

18. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unormal View Post
    For instance, I'd love to have radial particles, it would make various effects much simpler to implement.
    What do you mean by radial particles ?

19. Posts
    Well, for instance if I wanted to create a 'vortex' of particles, for instance a little tornado of leaves.

It is actually quite complex to specify this behavior in terms of cartesian X, Y, Z, at least without being able to paramaterize the coordinates as a function of some trigonometric functions; and even then it is more complex than necessary. Perhaps there is a way to accomplish this easily in shiruken, but I haven't found it in the little exploration I've done.

If you are allowed to specify and vary the position of particles in polar, instead of cartesian, coordinates (angle and distance), it is quite simple to create a vortex of particles with a few linear components. I've used this quite successfully in particle systems I've built before to make complex behaviors easier to define.

20. Posts
    I'm probably missing something, but I can't seem to be able to just control 'Speed over time'.

I'm looking for a curve for just speed. I know there's velocity, but I don't want to affect direction.

The dampening from 'Limit Velocity' seems to happen all at once, just after emission.

Does this exist within the current functionality?

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast