Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Fury Framework - RPG/RTS Creator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by andorov, Dec 23, 2011.

1. andorov

andorov

Play the demo and download the full evaluation package here.

Available on the Asset Store here.

Updated for Unity4 and iOS/Android.

For a couple of months, I've been working on a project to rapidly create games. Since the public beta launch of Unity 3.5, I've had an opportunity to demo my project.

I've created a set of tutorials, each spanning 7-15 minutes that demonstrates the framework. The videos are created as learning material, since the product in question is a framework and involves some programming. The programming is kept to a minimum in these tutorials. Hopefully, experienced programmers will be able to appreciate the nuances of the framework, while beginner programmers can focus more on the basic stuff.

I'd love to hear any comments and criticisms you guys may have. My eventual goal is to release the project to the Unity community.

Some videos are currently encoding/uploading. I will enable links as videos become available.

The videos start up sort of loud for me; just a heads up.

Downloads!

Videos

Final Demo
    After completing the tutorials, I went on to add many small cosmetic changes, such as giving characters weapons. I also changed the second player's class to a melee class and added many new pieces of equipment as well as a new consumable. The source was also refactored a bit to make it more intuitive.

Features
    • Multiplayer by Design -- All methods and everything shown in the tutorials are mutiplayer ready!
    • Extensible -- Design your own skills, status effects, etc
    • Team Friendly -- Artists, game designers and programmers can work largely independently
    • Modular -- Code can be easily exported to other projects
    • Documentation -- Every public member (method, class, interface, etc) is completely documented

Pathfinding
    It appears that Unity 3.5 will not include the navmesh solutions in the Indie version. This is fairly disappointing, but a completely understandable business decision. I have abstracted out the pathfinding to an interface so third-party pathfinding, such as SimplePath or A* Pathfinding Project, can be easily implemented.

The AStarNavAgent package and accompanying tutorial utilize the free version of the A* Pathfinding Project.

Note: I previously had a topic in the Gossip section, but now I feel I have way more to show! Will be adding many more tutorials going forward.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

You should make your own path finding(it looks like this uses 3.5 pathfinding) so then unity free users can buy this :(

3. sanpats

sanpats

Any chance putting these tutorials on YouTube?

4. andorov

andorov

I suppose, is the player giving you troubles? My host has really been acting up :(

5. _zeta

_zeta

hello sir, id like to know where i could get this awesome looking rts development dll..... and rest of your packages?

6. andorov

andorov

Working on an open beta / free version package right now :)

Just want to make sure it works smooth for people with the Indie version.

7. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

How will it work for indie when it uses navmesh?

8. sanpats

sanpats

Will you release the open beta/free package soon?

9. andorov

andorov

The goal is to release before Monday.

10. sanpats

sanpats

Nice. Will it only be working with 3.5 beta or 3.4 also supported.

11. TehWut

TehWut

What about us Indies?

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Should have asked for unity pro for xmas ;)

13. TehWut

TehWut

I actually was, but our price limit is quite lower than $1500, considering I have four little bros ;)

14. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

haha i got quite a haul:

Wacom bamboo FUN medium
    Skyward sword(the one with the wiimote)
    Skyrim
    Massive toblarone
    LionKing trillogy

but even if i could get 1.5K for christmas i proboly wouldent, i would only get PRO if A)my game went well and it was my full job B) if i donated 1.5k then i would buy it C) if i won it.

15. Demostenes

Demostenes

I really dont understand mentality of free users. They want great features, but they are not willing to pay for it. Conclusion? It is waste of effort to support free users (by doing special versions for them), because these people are cheapskates and rarely buy anything anyway.

16. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Ive already paid $400 for a license thank you verry much, maby you can aford $1,500 but i cant.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  17. _zeta

_zeta

yea i got indie license,
    though one friend of my has pro license.....
    so me and my friend could be one of the first to test out your Fury Component.

18. TehWut

TehWut

Well it's just less customers on your half :}

19. andorov

andorov

Added links to the free version. Its hard coded for a maximum of 5 unique units. The full demo project up to Tutorial 4 is coming.

Also, will be finishing up the other tutorials, pretty soon.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  20. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

I really suggest you put these videos on youtube. I am having a hard time watching more than 3 seconds at a time before it has to wait for more to load. Anyways, looks like you got some nifty stuff in the works. It will be surely appreciated by many.

21. andorov

andorov

I've moved the videos to a new host. Hopefully less lag.

I'll try to upload them to YouTube too.

22. sanpats

sanpats

You got one would-be pro customer here. I got the Unity Pro iPhone Pro license. And will definitely buy your pro version of the framework. :)

23. sanpats

sanpats

I downloaded Free Version and tried to follow Tutorial 1, but there is no FuryEditor.dll. I ignored it, but when the tutorial told me to Create Definition (Map), there is no such option. So I can't continue the tutorial. T_T

24. andorov

andorov

Oops.

Fixed the package, it should have both DLLs now.

25. sanpats

sanpats

Tested. Now everything work as expected. Thanks. :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  26. okimoki

okimoki

wowwww!!! this looks awesome!!! i want it! i need it!
    is there a way to have your player selected by default and not have the ability to deselect it? that way it would be much more versatile and for broader range of games..
    iOS support?

27. andorov

andorov

Absolutely! The player selecting and what not is HUD issue, not a framework one. You can definitely hard-tie the character to the interface. I figured many people, especially on the mobile would be building single-character games.

The library should run in iOS out-of-the-box as its just pure C#. I have not had an opportunity to test it. You can always download the free version and compile it yourself and let me know if you have any problems :)

As a side note, last night I finished abstracting out the path finding so third-party (SimplePath, etc) solutions can be implemented. I'll put up a tutorial on it tonight utilizing a free path finding solution so people without Unity Pro can try out the framework too. :)

28. sanpats

sanpats

Does the framework support changing equipments such as armors and weapons?

29. andorov

andorov

In short, yes.

The basic methodology of allowing "items" is to first declare "tokens."

For example, declare a token, "Breastplate of Doom" and add it to the inventory of a unit using the Unit.ModifyTokens function. Then, extend the default Fury.Database.Weapon class to override the "OnCalculateDamageModifier" method. In that method, check if the target posses any armor, and do the appropriate damage reduction calculations. It is best to use object-oriented programming principles to generalize items. For example, you could extend the token class to have an armor rating, and then make many items with different armor ratings, and handle them with the same piece of code.

Since you have raised this issue, I will cover it in a tutorial shortly, and provide some basic, foundational scripts. This is exactly the sort of feedback I'm looking for, so I can address any potential problems.

30. _zeta

_zeta

bro for some reason i cannot access downloads site
    can you reupload them elsewhere?

31. andorov

andorov

Here is some basic code to get you started while I whip up a full tutorial...

Here is the basic outline of a weapon that does varying amounts of damage based on the tokens a unit possesses. Create a custom weapon definition, and attach the weapon to any unit who you want to do damage based on the target's armor rating.
    Code (csharp):
    2. public class VariableWeapon : Fury.Database.Weapon
    3. {
    4.     public override float OnCalculateDamageModifier(Fury.Behaviors.Unit attacker, Fury.Behaviors.Unit target)
    5.     {
    6.         var totalArmor = 0;
    8.         // Go through each item the unit being attacked has
    9.         foreach (var kvp in target.Controllers.TokenController.Tokens)
    10.         {
    11.             // If the item is a piece of armor, increase the total armor rating
    12.             if (kvp.Key is Armor)
    13.             {
    14.                 var armor = kvp.Key as Armor;
    15.                 totalArmor += armor.Rating;
    16.             }
    17.         }
    19.         // Use a basic formula to calculate damage mititgation
    20.         return 100f / (100f + totalArmor);
    21.     }
    22. }
    Now, you can declare an "armor" token item, that units can "wear" to reduce damage done by a variable weapon. Again, create custom assets from the Armor definition and give them to units that want damage mitigated.
    Code (csharp):
    2. public class Armor : Fury.Database.Token
    3. {
    4.     public Int32 Rating = 10;
    5. }

32. sanpats

sanpats

Thank you, looking forward to the full tutorial.

When do you plan to release the full version?

33. andorov

andorov

When Unity 3.5 officially launches, unless theres major show-stopping problem with either on my part or Unity's part.

34. andorov

andorov

Apparently, now my new host is also down. Working on the problem...

35. goat

goat

You should post these to SkyDrive, iCloud, or whatever Google calls theirs and link from your server. Their servers can handle the load.

36. andorov

andorov

Rackspace should also be a host that can handle the load. Thats what I currently use. :|

37. goat

goat

Rackspace? I figure it was a dynamic home IP from how slow it was.

Well at any rate, regardless of Rackspace's shortcomings (they may have throttled it) your help is appreciated.

38. andorov

andorov

Just talked to their support. Supposedly the data center that my cloud servers are at is experiencing some sort of issue. Hopefully, it will get resolved promptly. Also, I should never be throttled, as I have their cloud service and they charge me per-GB as opposed to some flat monthly rate.

39. goat

goat

Cool, I look forward to going through these based on the answers I seen posted on other questions here.

40. andorov

andorov

I've added support for Unity Indie users, and added Tutorial X, which explains how to easily bring in third party solutions into the picture...

I've also added Tutorial 6, which shows how to create some basic items. I'll be doing more with items in the next tutorial as well, to make them more visually appealing, etc. The two tutorials are currently uploading, it looks like it will take 1+ hours for upload

41. kheng

kheng

Looks interesting, does this support iPhone, and what if I don't want to use click to move how hard would that be to change? I was thinking it might be cool to use the dual joystick to move around and touch for abilities.

Are you going to sell this on the asset store? If so have you decided on a price?

42. Ted-de-Munnik

Ted-de-Munnik

Man, I totally love the way you code! Everything is so extendable, do you know how many people are using the free version right now?

43. andorov

andorov

Thank you :)

There have been 300 downloads of the main package so far.

Its a big framework, and I still have a lot more educational material to cover. Unfortunately, I was not very productive over the holidays and am still playing catch-up at work.

I think its something like 20 extendable classes.. :eek: That is a lot to cover.

44. Ted-de-Munnik

Ted-de-Munnik

Haha totally understandable, I would really expect this package to go somewhere if you do the right advertising for it.
    If i were you I would also release seperate modular packages of the scripts like you write them in the tutorials, maybe for free, maybe for a little price. That would problably really influence the sales as alot of unity users dont know how to write those scripts.(Might be totally contrary to the way your system is designed though).

I was thinking of creating a framework like this, but I don't think I can beat you on this one

45. andorov

andorov

Yes, all the stuff I'm writing for the tutorials will end up just being one big free supplementary package, just like the models you can download currently.

It'll probably end up having stuff like basic NPC AI, loot-system, etc. Stuff that I feel like shouldn't be in the core package, but helpful to the masses.

Actually, the system is *very* modular, just like Unity itself. If you play by the rules, you can literally right click an ability, hit "Export Package" and import it into another Fury-enabled project, and it will work, out of the box. o_O

Granted, more advanced games will have inter-connected systems, but the core will always be shared.

46. Ted-de-Munnik

Ted-de-Munnik

Jup, certainly with the huge amount of assets on the asset store, modularity is the way to go. Like as an example the way your pathfinding required scripts works, it is a very big plus for you to be able to say, my framework is able to work with any solution of pathfinding currently available for unity.

47. sanpats

sanpats

Tutorial 6B, coming soon? :)

And a basic tutorial on implementing ability point (stats) system like in table-top would be nice.

I.E.

Strength 6
    Dexterity 8
    Wisdom 9

Attack Point = Str + Weapon Atk Score ....

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  48. sanpats

sanpats

Any update? :)

49. andorov

andorov

I think I did tutorial 6 a couple of times. I wasn't pleased with the way the token system was set up, so I ended up rewriting a small part of the engine. This is why it took so long.

Anyway, the tutorial is now complete. All the videos have been uploaded to YouTube as well.

I'm planning on working in more tutorials with items and some enemy characters as well. I'll be working in more stats as well to augment different parts of the main character.

50. sanpats

sanpats

Great!