Search Unity

LoadSceneAdditive and Umbra

Discussion in 'Developer Preview Archive' started by NTDC-DEV, Dec 23, 2011.

1. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

Good day,

I've been testing the re-writen Umbra with a 3.4.2 project ported to 3.5b6 and I'm wondering if there a way to get around the limitation of a scene's PVS data not being sent when using LoadSceneAdditive?

Simply put, is the only way to use umbra with multiple scenes to copy all content from other scenes back into my root (main) scene, and calculate the PVS there..?

By doing so, if I delete the content in the root scene and load back the other scenes, will umbra still be able to cull or does it keep a reference to the objects in the PVS?

I would like to point that other than this problem, umbra is working perfectly. Literally seconds instead of HOURS of baking with much better results. I would love to use it but being only able to use umbra with 1 scene makes this a deal breaker. (I haven't seen any mention of it in the docs, lost a couple of hours trying to make it work...)

Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  2. immFX

immFX

I had the same question at this post here.

I never got to test it with the old, crappy Umbra.
    So, I'd also very much like to know the answer to PolishRenegade's question.

3. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

I tried it and it "works". But it's not practical at all.

It's a real shame as I'm actually finding Umbra very good. Light-years from it state pre-3.5 but just can't use it because of the non-streaming of PVS. (I'm curious to know if there is a technical reason for this?)

4. immFX

immFX

Can you please explain what do you mean by "it works but it's not practical at all"?
    Did you manage to keep Umbra information for all scenes in the root scene?
    If yes, then why is it not practical?

5. FunnyRobot

FunnyRobot

That was one thing I really wanted fixed. Just let us put OcclusionAreas into prefabs and load them from resources/bundles.

6. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

Sorry for the late reply... holidays and all.

What I did was to copy all the content of my other scenes into my main (first, root...) scene. Bake the PVS data there and delete the content.

That way umbra had all the required info, but with that much content and a lot of indoor, outdoor scene mixes... it required much more tweaking than just baking the PVS for one of my scenes as they actually separate content logically (which is the main purpose of scenes...).

In my cases, it's not practical at all. Could work for people with less complex scenes maybe...