Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UnityShared.swc; Communicating between Unity Flash Content and AS3.

Discussion in 'Flash' started by RalphH, Dec 23, 2011.

1. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

[Edit by Cat: Please note that the below example does not work in Unity 3.5.2. The updated project can be found here.]

By popular demand, here's an example of how one can use UnityShared.swc to create a custom preloader and communicate between Unity and Flash.

The ActionScript source of this project can be used with ActionScript tools like FlashBuilder, FDT and FlashDevelop. The project needs to be setup so that the provided UnityShared.swc is used as a library.

View attachment $AS3Communication_unity_project.zip
    View attachment $AS3Communication_as3_src.zip

In UnityShared an AS3 class named UnityContentLoader is provided, which is the base for loading and communicating with UnityContent.

When publishing to Flash Application.ExternalCall is routed to what is set as the UnityContentHost, when constructing the UnityContentLoader. These messages (unfortunately there is no way to send arguments at this point in time using Application.ExternalCall), then are directly called on IUnityContentHost.

The unityInitStart and unityInitComplete have to be implemented by the class set as IUnityContentHost and signify when the UnityContent is done loading and starting to initialize, and when it's done initializing, and ready for communication from AS3.

To communicate from AS3 to Unity, one calls sendMessage on the unityContent property of unityContentLoader. The sendMessage functionality is similar to the sendMessage functionality of the Unity webplayer.

sendMessage accepts arguments in the following order; first a string path to the gameobject, then the method to be called on that gameobject, and then an anonymous object to contain the arguments. This way, one can marshall direct references to objects between AS3 and Unity, cache them and call them directly.

This api is by no means in it's final state and are subject to change in later drops(we are thinking about a full api inside unity towards AS3, similar to custom platform api's for other platforms), but it should help implementing things like networking.

I'll post more examples in this thread.

Regards,
    Ralph.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
  2. tertle

tertle

Wow thanks for this. Unfortunately I'm getting a little red box with "Fatal Error : null" when I try compile this or just run the swf provided. Any idea where I may have gone wrong?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  3. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

You need a content debugger of the flashplayer; please check out the faq here; http://unity3d.com/unity/preview/faq

Without a proper error message I can't tell you what's going on, but most likely your swf isn't published with version=13 or your wmode isn't set to direct on the flash embed, or your flashplayer is lower then 11.

4. tertle

tertle

Silly me. Forgot I had 11.2 beta build installed. Cheers.

-edit- hmm actually runs fine in 11.2 content debugger. just null errors in browser.

5. laurent-clave

laurent-clave

Thank Ralph,

You can send and receive an arguments with this method (Replace WWW WWWForm) ?

6. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

darkloy, yes, check out the provided example; it show sending arguments both ways.

7. laurent-clave

laurent-clave

Ok Sorry Ralph !! ;)

8. vtornik23

vtornik23

Hi Ralph! Thank you for your post.
    Can you tell us, is it possible now to integrate compiled stage3d layer (that unity builds) with native flash GUI?
    I mean in FlashDevelop or FlashBuilder

9. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

@darkloy : glad I could help, let us know how it works out for you.

10. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

Hi vtornik, in the example I remove the entire opaque preloaded from the stage; however, you can keep an overlay sprite / movie clip over the stage3d content. Keep in mind that this on some configurations/platforms might cost you some performance. However, it's entirely possible do your overlaying gui in flash and the game and the 3d in unity!

We'd love to see an example of someone using that functionality; let us know what you manage to do with it !

11. vtornik23

vtornik23

Thank you a lot, Ralph!

12. laurent-clave

laurent-clave

@UnityRalph : Ok, no problem ;)

13. laurent-clave

laurent-clave

If you provide other examples I would be very happy: D ...

14. Nevers

Nevers

i'm trying to run the example in ie8 with the flash debugger and running vizzy flash tracer but when i click the button, nothing seems to happen.
    any ideas on what i'm doing wrong?

15. carllooper

carllooper

Thanks Ralph.

16. rogerisland

rogerisland

Hi Ralph,

This is really good stuff - just one more question:
    Via the sendMessage method what sort of objects could I theoretically push accross from Flash to Unity? I'm thinking images (loaded from web or created) or audio files... is that possible? As a kind of WWW. replacement as it's missing in the current release?

Thanks!

17. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

18. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

@rogerisland; I'd advice to handle that type of media on the AS3 side for now; however, I will follow up with a new example showing how to for example put a video on a unity texture.

19. Nevers

Nevers

so i went back and reinstalled the setup and followed the instructions and as far as i can tell, it's still not working:

Install "content debugger" from Adobe Flash Player [used ie9]:
    Check
    Go to http://flashplayerversion.com/, and make sure that it says 'Debugger: Yes': [says WIN 11,1,102,55]
    Check
    Create a file called mm.cfg and added ErrorReportingEnable=1; TraceOutputFileEnable=1
    Check

i drag the AS3Communication.html into the browser, it loads up, it says running the in the debug player at the bottom right of the screen.
    i click the button a few times

Find and open your flashlog.txt
    it says: Player: init engine [space] MolehillGfxDevice: DirectX9 (Direct blitting)

is this "Player: init engine MolehillGfxDevice: DirectX9 (Direct blitting)" the result i'm looking for? this appears before i press the button and only appears on load so i'm assuming the expected result would be different.

20. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

Shifty Nevers : that looks fine to me; if you now hit the button you should get the flash traces; depending on what you compile the source with though, it might be stripping the traces out of the source code I provided above.

21. carllooper

carllooper

I mentioned this in another thread but what would be really cool is to develop another api inside AS3 towards unity. In other words, an api targeting AS3 developers.

I realise the current priority would be to assist unity developers in exporting from unity to flash, but there is a whole new market opened up here - for targeting AS3 developers. In other words the starting context would not be Unity but the Flash paradigm (Flex/.FlashDevelop) and the goal would be importing and controlling unity generated assets (AS3 files, etc).

In both cases the end result is still Flash (swf/swc etc), but the difference being that one uses AS3 to write important code, rather than C# and Javascript (or in addition to such).

Carl

22. rogerisland

rogerisland

Hi Ralph, Thanks for the response. I'd need to load a texture from internet (created by a script) onto an object as part of the thing that I'm working on so can't do it in just all in AS3, so was thinking to load it in AS3 and push image object over to Unity for it to display on object. I guess it's simliar to the video texture example you've mentioned so I'll wait for that :)

Thanks again for the quick response!

23. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

@carllooper, it's a use case which we have thought and talked about indeed, however, priority right now is to make it work as fluid as can be with Unity. We have this on the radar, and the first steps are to improve the embedding API.

24. Nevers

Nevers

i haven't edited any source yet. i've just simply downloaded, extracted and dragged the swf and html files into the browser. I've tried this at work at home and still no luck lol. I have cs4 installed so i'm thinking something may be blocking the traces. i'll try it on another machine with almost nothing installed and see if it works. Thx for the replys btw

25. carllooper

carllooper

@UnityRalph, thanks Ralph. I look forward to the evolution of the Unity/Flash feature. The current iteration is great and there is plenty to test and play with. It's the best xmas present I've had in years. cheers.

26. Mackey@ehsiplus.com

Mackey@ehsiplus.com

I was able to duplicate what the SimpleLoader.as does in Adobe Air With ActionScript3 ONLY project. Worked great... i can use other actionscript only classes and popup my own as3 only gui on top unitycontent...

But when i try to do the same thing in a Flex Application (Air 3.2 or 3.1)... Once it execute the comple function:

private function onUnityContentLoaderComplete(event:Event):void
    {
    uix.addChild(unityContentLoader);
    unityContentLoader.unityContent.setContentHost(this);//Set this instance as the callback handler for unity.
    }

where uix is a <mx:UIComponent>

IS DOES NOT SHOW THE SCENE... JUST WHITE BACKGROUND...

Any thoughts on loading the unity content in a flex application?

27. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

@shiftynevers; then it works as expected; you actually need to compile the source code in the AS3 example; you are looking at the "unembedded" unity content, which doesn't actually trace anything, because it's not embedded and thus has not UnityContentHost to call bac k into.

28. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

@carllooper; glad you like it!

29. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

@mackey, your problem can reside in many different area's. After xmas I'll post a flex embedding demo.

30. Mackey@ehsiplus.com

Mackey@ehsiplus.com

Thanks Ralph ...

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Running unity content in as3 project is awesome ... Doing it in a flex app would be "off the hook"... The types of apps you will be able to make will be insane...

I love unity3d :)

31. Mackey@ehsiplus.com

Mackey@ehsiplus.com

Just to post my sample code: No Errors but just cant see unitycontent...

Also.. The commination still happens... can send messages to unity content....

Weird... Only in flex application is this a problem.... PURE AS3 work perfect!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <s:Application xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"
    xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark"
    xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx" implements="com.unity.IUnityContentHost" creationComplete="windowedapplication1_creationCompleteHandler(event)">

<fx:Script>
    <![CDATA[
    import com.unity.UnityContentLoader;
    import com.unity.UnityLoaderParams;

import mx.core.UIComponent;
    import mx.events.FlexEvent;

private var unityContentLoader:UnityContentLoader;

protected function windowedapplication1_creationCompleteHandler(event:FlexEvent):void
    {
    startLoad();
    }

protected function startLoad():void
    {
    var params:UnityLoaderParams = new UnityLoaderParams(false,720,400,true);
    unityContentLoader = new UnityContentLoader("AS3Communication.swf", this, params, true);
    unityContentLoader.contentLoaderInfo.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, onUnityContentLoaderComplete);
    unityContentLoader.loadUnity();
    }

private function onUnityContentLoaderComplete(event:Event):void
    {
    uix.addChild(unityContentLoader);
    unityContentLoader.unityContent.setContentHost(this);//Set this instance as the callback handler for unity.
    }

//
    // IUnityContentHost - Handlers
    //

//unityInitStart has to be implemented by whatever implements IUnityContenthost
    public function unityInitStart():void
    {
    //This is called when the content is loaded and the initialization of the unity engine is started.
    }

//unityInitComplete has to be implemented by whatever implements IUnityContenthost
    public function unityInitComplete():void
    {
    //This is called when the unity engine is done initializing and the first level is loaded.

//From this point on, you can use sendmessage to send over messages..in this case we send this instance, which is used by the send to flash script
    //to send over variables, use an anonymous object.
    var success:Boolean = unityContentLoader.unityContent.sendMessage("Main Camera","SetResponder",{responder:this});
    if(success){
    trace("successfully sent a message");
    }
    }

public var unityObject:Object;
    public function unityHelloFunction(obj:Object):void
    {
    trace("unity script said hello : "+obj);
    unityObject = obj;
    }
    ]]>
    </fx:Script>

<fx:Declarations>

</fx:Declarations>

<s:layout>
    <s:BasicLayout />
    </s:layout>

<mx:UIComponent id="uix" width="100%" height="100%" />

</s:Application>

32. ccj

ccj

I have two question:
    1. how to get the attribute value in a Anonymous Object in c#
    2.how to sendmessage to flash ,I read the code, but do not quite understand

FlashHelper.EmitAsm("SendToFlashScript$responder$['unityHelloFunction']({0})",this);

How to use FlashHelper.EmitAsm to recive/send message,The official did not elaborate example

33. laurent-clave

laurent-clave

Hello World !

you have no other examples please?

34. marty64

marty64

Hi!
    I have some problems trying to build this exemple : when I try it it Firefox, it tells me :"Fatal Error : Error: Stage3D Error : Error #3702: Context3D non disponible. (did you set a correct wmode?)
    at com.unity::UnityContent/onStage3DError()"

I have a content debugger and the wmode set to direct.
    I'm not sure that I'm publishing the swf with the good version. I don't know how to set it (I'm building with FlashBuilder SDK: Flex 4.6)

If someone could help me...
    Thanks in advance,

35. drag0nsphere2

drag0nsphere2

Can someone explain how to use this to change the default loading picture and bar?

thanks

36. TheAssassin

TheAssassin

So how do I read the object that I get back in unity? I've tried just about everything I can find to read the data from it.

37. hjupter

hjupter

Same here, I've tried everything I know and research about it but nothing seems to work... Please somebody help us with this

38. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

This is how I am doing it.
    In ActionScript
    Code (csharp):
    2. var msgId:int = 123;
    3. var msgString = "Hello World";
    4. unityContentLoader.unityContent.sendMessage( "FlashConnection", "OnFlashMessage", {id:msgId, msg:msgString} );
    FlashConnection is the name of the GameObject in Unity.
    OnFlashMessage is the name of the function that gameobject that will be called
    I am sending 2 parameters, an integer and a string (id and msg)

In Unity
    Code (csharp):
    1. public class FlashConnection : MonoBehaviour {
    2.     public int idFromFlash = 0;
    3.     public string msgFromFlash = "";
    5.     void OnFlashMessage( object o ){
    6. #if UNITY_FLASH
    7.         FlashHelper.EmitAsm("FlashConnection$msgFromFlash$ = {0}.msg;FlashConnection$idFromFlash$ = {0}.id;", o);
    8.         Debug.Log("Recieved from Flash: " + msgFromFlash + " " + idFromFlash );
    9. #endif
    10.     }
    11. }
    This part seems strange, I would think since I have the object that I should be able to just grab data out of it without the EmitAsm, but I haven't found a way to avoid it. And storing the return values into public variables also seems a bit odd.

39. hjupter

hjupter

Hey thx for the answer, I was already doing something like that but didnt know i could do it in one line

FlashHelper.EmitAsm("SendToFlashScript$message$ = {0}.message", o);
    FlashHelper.EmitAsm("SendToFlashScript$chatName$ = {0}.name", o);
    Debug.Log("Message: "+message+" - name: "+chatName);

But i was looking for a way to call a function within unity and send params without need to have everything on variables in the class

40. marty64

marty64

How are you building your flash project? with Flash Builder? Which SDK do you use?
    I always have errors and I don't find why...

"Fatal Error : Error: Stage3D Error : Error #3702: Context3D non disponible. (did you set a correct wmode?)
    at com.unity::UnityContent/onStage3DError()"

Thank you in advance

Martin

41. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

I'm using http://www.flashdevelop.org/

Didn't download anything but that, it installed some Flex library on its own during the install process.

I've seen that Stage3D error when you try to open the swf file in a browser directly instead of using the html page to view it.

42. marty64

marty64

Thank you a lot!
    I'm using Flash Builder, I will try with FlashDevelop!

43. hjupter

hjupter

Flash Develop using the latest sdk 4.6 i think

44. marty64

marty64

Ok ! It works in flash player!

Thanks a lot for your help!

45. tripknotix

tripknotix

I hope this helps everyone shave a few hours off of testing

The following code works flawlessly to talk FROM unity3d TO flash

FlashHelper.EmitAsm("SendToFlashScript$responder$['PlayerMove'](SendToFlashScript$playerTransform$.position.x)");

SendToFlashScript is the class (SendToFlashScript.cs) ,
    $responder$ is the flash object,
    ['PlayerMove'] is the Function Name,
    (SendToFlashScript$playerTransform$ is the public variable called playerTransform,
    and i can directly call .position.x on it

that is how you pass public variables from unity to flash

i wont bother explaining how to set values directly into that line of code instead of variables, because it would just confuse beginners. that line of code above is already going to be a workout.

46. rogerisland

rogerisland

Hello,

I'm successfully setting and calling functions both ways with the methods described above but the one thing I haven't yet successfully cracked is what sort of collections are supported both ways without throwing cast errors?
    Trying to push an array of bytes (or chars... or anything in collection form..) from AS3 to Unity... not having any luck with AS3 Array.... Before I continue testing out other methods I just wondered if someone has "cracked" this one yet?

Thanks!
    -Georg

47. Democre

Democre

Could you post an example any way for us "beginners"?

48. Mackey@ehsiplus.com

Mackey@ehsiplus.com

Hey Ralph... Any progress on how to use in a flex application?

49. voidward

voidward

I'm having some problems compiling with flashbuilder, I'm not experienced with flashbuilder at all.
    I create a new actionscript project, add source folder as project folder, add unity swc file, swap main application file to preloader, set build version to 11.1.

Project appears to build fine but all I get is an image that says "your custom screen" in the html with nothing else.

What am I missing?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  50. Almog

Almog

Can you share you files, trying to understand this better and not sure how "SendToFlashScript.cs" should be