Search Unity

Git Version Control MonoDevelop

Discussion in 'Developer Preview Archive' started by ProtonOne, Dec 22, 2011.

1. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

FYI - I just filed a bug (Case 434330)

I found a workaround:

In MonoDevelop:
    Tools > Add-in Manager
    Expand 'Version Control'
    Disable Git Support

2. 3Duaun

3Duaun

I'm blown away by the complete lack of GIT support in 3.5, at best SVN has cursory locking support, aside from that SVN is DATED! I do hope Unity chooses to side with the current century, and go with GIT at some point.

3. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Even GIT has its problems.

Aras talked about it in the comments here:
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2011/10/21/build-engineering-and-infrastructure-how-unity-does-it/

4. 3Duaun

3Duaun

@Proton that was a great post, I just gave it another look over, thanks for bringing it back to my attention. Repository size has been an issue with us, using GIT, however, we mandate a cleaning of the repository every set amount of time, so it hasnt been a show stopper for us.

Even an integrated SVN editor in the Unity editor interface would be great, I heard it was dropped from the beta release. We're having checkout issues, amongst others, whenever assets are being worked on by more than 1 artist/programmer. I know Unity will tackle this in the future, I just hope its sooner rather than later.

5. juju

juju

Git integration works great on Mac version of MonoDevelop.

Made it all the more confusing when I tried to open my project on windows

6. Lypheus

Lypheus

Unless I'm missing something here, SVN being dated is not really relevant to it's usefulness as a VCS. I use GIT, SVN and even CVS at times (depending on the client). Are you doing a ton of branching/tagging that's bugging you with SVN? Finding on my end for general VCS purposes SVN serves just fine, might be more a question of your practices if you're experiencing 'merge hell' on a regular basis.

7. Tak

Tak

It should work equivalently on windows. Can you provide some information about what versions of git you're using on windows and osx?

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

SVN isn't dated anyway. SVN 1.7 actually closed in seriously to hq and git, its no longer the 'CVS+' it used to be behavior wise.

And yeah the GIT support works. I personally happen to use it on projects which are normally controlled by SmartGIT as its a nice thing to checkout the code directly from monodev (it will only handle the code for you though, the rest of the project isn't taken care of as it does not exist in the sln)

9. andrew-fray

andrew-fray

Was this ever resolved? Do we know what causes it? I have colleagues using monodevelop on windows who don't get this issue, but I do and have to disable git integration as the workaround specifies.

Who was the bug filled with? Unity or Monodevelop?