Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Disappointed with performance

Discussion in 'Developer Preview Archive' started by angel_m, Dec 22, 2011.

1. angel_m

angel_m

I have tested my game project, a complex third person shooter-adventure in a big scenary (about 1.9 Gb. file ) and after updating the image effects pro assets and fixing one scripting error my project runs in 3.5 without any other problem ! :)
    The bad new is I get about 10 frames per second less than in 3.4.2 with exactly the same configuration...:(
    I expected more...

Unity Pro. Windows 7 64bits.

2. Dabeh

Dabeh

Can you be more specific? Have you tried to use profiler to find the problem?

3. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

i too get a lower framerate... i'm still looking at the project to see if there is something lurking from 3.4.2, but i don't think so (ie i've reimported all standard assets etc). Everything runs fine with no errors etc.

4. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

Do you use a custom fps counter or the built-in one?

5. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Interesting issue, and one we'd definitely be up for looking at - if you can use the bug reporter to send us your project we'll be able to take a look at it on both 3.4 and 3.5 and see what might be going wrong for you. Are you using Occlusion culling and Lightmapping in your game? A random thought but it could be worth rebaking everything with the updated systems.

6. angel_m

angel_m

I have used the profiler but apparently there is no problem...
    I am using the fps counter in Statistics.
    No, I am not using occlusion or lightmapping.
    I am going to review all in detail and I will report any progress.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  7. Wozik

Wozik

Well, 10 fps is a problem. We'll look at it.
    Please describe what platform are you building to with what settings. Thanks.

8. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Is it possible that the way you measure framerate is using the GameStats window?

In Unity 3.4.2 this window was actually subtracting editor overhead and was not including GPU time if the game is GPU limited. In 3.5 we are reporting the actual framerate including editor overhead.
    Please use a proper framerate counter to compare performance.

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/Time-realtimeSinceStartup.html

I also very much recommend doing performance measurements in the Standalone Player. Ultimately thats the place where you really care about performance.

Naturally if something is actually slower we will fix it, in general performance on project folders we have tested is around 30 - 100% faster.

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The only way to accurately judge actual performance is to make a build and look at the fps there.

--Eric

10. Legacy

Legacy

I am also seeing this type of issue, unity is locking up my machine now and i can barely edit the game. On top of that im getting over 800 draw calls more than i was getting in 3.4.2. I have to edit the game in wireframe mode i cant even play the game in the editor because its locking up so bad.

Edit:

Also when i try to bake an occlusion area it just stops responding and pops up with a message stating unity has stopped responding asking me to debug.

11. Demostenes

Demostenes

Same problem here. Very heavy scene, performance is significantly lower. No post procesing effects, no scripts (just custom LOD system working well since Unity 3.0), no special shaders.

My recommendation is to test Unity more on heavy scenes, simple ones are almost always OK. I heard you have 1000 of beta testers. Nobody reported this?

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

potentially it was not seen by all. we have a heavy scene and for us the performance raised by a good 30% on osx
    potentially its windows / DX9 vs threading related or the OC was not rebuild / rebuilt wrong (using portals makes oc significantly more costly in heavy environments - unity 3 through 3.4 had no portals)

13. Demostenes

Demostenes

I am running on Windows 7. I have no OC setup in the scene, because I was not able to bake anything. So yes, could be Windows platform related.

14. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

I tried re-processing the static occlusion but it returns an out of memory error whilst baking, which i dont believe it did with 3.4.

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Could it be something as stupid as the new quality settings raising the quality by default on imported projects, hence being slower?

16. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's actually what happened to the first project I opened in 3.5, where the vsync got reset to "on". That had me going for a bit. The huge "WaitForTargetFPS" number in the profiler tipped me off as to what the problem was though....

--Eric

17. angel_m

angel_m

I also have tried to use the static occlusion but I have got the out of memory error.
    Using the fps counter from here "http://unity3d.com/support/documenta...ceStartup.html" I get the same results as using the game statistics fps counter, and no difference also making a build. :(

I am on Windows 7 Professional, 64 bits, Intel Core i7, Geforce 460 GTX, 8 Gb RAM

18. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I'm on Mac OS and I too get the slower performance. :\ Huge drop with me.

19. Kuba

Kuba

Efraser2007, Demostenes, Runeflako: if you are in fact getting worse performance than in 3.4 (measured the way Joachim suggested in this thread), please submit bug reports with your projects and we will take a look and fix what needs fixing. Thanks!

20. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Same problem here.
    Unity3.4 60-80fps with 130 drawcall
    Unity3.5 0.3fps with 660 drawcall! :eek:

win7 64bit ati HD5770 ram 4gm

21. Legacy

Legacy

Will do :), yea i used to lag a little bit in the editor when turning towards certain parts of the scene because they were heavier with geometry than other parts but it never locked up my machine and made it completly un responsive before.

22. elias_t

elias_t

I get in one of my benchmark scenes 3% lower performance then in 3.4.2

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Send your projects in using the bug reporter program, in your unity root folder, or it's not gonna get fixed is it?

24. elias_t

elias_t

You know, whenever I tried to send the project with the bug reporter .... unity crashed.

25. angel_m

angel_m

Yes, also, I can´t send any bug report because unity crash (or the bug reporter itself) when I try it, and not only in 3.5 version.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  26. Kuba

Kuba

elias_t, angel_m: in case it's the bug reporter that crashes when you send a project, please send a bug report without the project. We will then get some information on your machine's configuration that will help us determine why the bug reporter crashed. We will also get back to you on alternative ways to send your project. Sorry for the inconvenience.

27. Demostenes

Demostenes

You are forgetting one thing. For example our project contatins 25GB of data. And bigger issue is, that there is lots of licenced content, we cant distribute in unecrypted form. So sending project is out of question.

I am encountering same problems form the other side all the time. Bank cant send their productuion data to SW supplier. Army cant send their DB to SW supplier. So what has supplier to do? Provide some better loging system.
    Maybe you should enable some debug mode loging for this cases, or prepare some scripts to extract important settings, etc...

28. Kuba

Kuba

The size of the project is not a problem for us. We always find ways for you to send them over without much pain. The fact that you can't show the content to us is an issue though.

A pretty good logging system is already in place: the bug reporter gathers information about the system, the editor and players spit out the log, profiler can output data to a text file. Now to know precisely what information is worth adding to the output of those tools can be judged best by looking at actual projects that have issues and not by looking at artificial use cases. So yeah, we really like real world projects.

29. Demostenes

Demostenes

Usually we had parametr like "full log" when system was loging every stupidity (by default off, because it would fill HDD in few hours). And in case of some bug we just told customer to turn this on and sent us results.

Anyway during next week I will try to make some detailed benchmark, to provide more precise information, what is going on.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  30. impheris

impheris

31. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

I have made some attempts in order to figure out what is wrong.
    I have reimported same project two times again in unity 3.5b.
    1- 130 drawcall 1300fps (only game view open) (but drop at 20fps if game and scene view open) but terrain texture and gizmos are gone
    2- 130 drawcall 1300fps (only game view open) (but drop at 20fps if game and scene view open) terrain ok, texture ok, gizmos gone and some script are deactivated in inspector (I manually reactivate its with check button)

So:
    a: the import from unity3.4 to 3.5 act really random.
    b: scene view drop dramatically frame rate in 3.5

32. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there everyone!
    It's just me or did you noticed that GC is getting big spikes in performance with a high frequency?
    It's happening here even in a completely new and clean scene with nothing but the main camera. : /

Hope that's something I'm missing.
    See ya!
    Fernando Ribeiro

33. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello,

About Flash 3D performance: is Flash 11 Hardware acceleration enabled?

I have sent to Adobe a Bug report because Hardware acceleration was disabled by default with my Mac Browsers.
    Just Right click on Flash 11 content, go to setting and check "enable hardware acceleration"

Anyone else with the same problem?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2011
  35. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Here it is enabled by default.

36. 3Duaun

3Duaun

been going between various FPS on 3.4 to 3.5 projects too, hope this gets resolved

37. Eyeofgod

Eyeofgod

We are seeing the same result on iOS. A scene with 40 skined meshes playing animations and a very simple scenario runs at ~26FPS on 3GS with unity 3.4.2 (measured directly on the device). With 3.5 we get ~20 FPS. Thats a ~25% loss! I will try on monday to reimport the assets and come back with the results.

38. rbisso

rbisso

Similar problem here, just submitted bug report and project. Seeing some real weirdness with vSync and possible (as of yet unconfirmed) draw call increases. When I have it off, it's taking up a whole bunch of time, but when I turn set it to every vBlank, the vSync plummets to about half of what it is with it 'off' and the framerate roughly doubles. When I set it to every 2nd vBlank, I get similar results to when it is 'off'.

Though the framerate doubles with vSync set to every vBlank, it still does not approach what it was in 3.4. I'm also checking into the possibility that our draw calls significantly increased for some reason.

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have noticed slowdowns in my Android apps with 3.5 (as have my customers, unfortunately). I've submitted one bug report about unexpectedly high dynamic batching times shown in the logcat profiler, but there may be other issues.

40. rbisso

rbisso

Update: the VSync problem went away (in the editor) when I opened another project, then re-opened my main project again. Not sure why. Framerate is still slow on Android, it looks like my draw calls have almost tripled, tris have almost tripled and verts have more than doubled. =\

Anyone seen similar results?

41. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

If you have any performance regressions with 3.5 we would like to know about it.
    In all our tests we ran internally and for beta testers as well performance is somewhere between 10% to 100% faster depending on what you are doing.

It is always possible that some use cases are slower. We are eager to fix them if we can reproduce them.
    For us to fix them you have to file a bug with the full 3.4.2 based project folder attached in a state where it can be opened on both 3.4.2 and 3.5. So that we can do comparisons and then optimize.

So far we haven't yet gotten an actual project folder from this thread, that lets us profile and optimize. This is unfortunate.

42. sawfish

sawfish

I will see if I have a recent backup (before upgrading to 3.5) of the project I'm having trouble with.

I seem to have narrowed it down to being transparency related.

I am building to Android. The FPS dropped from a constant 55fps+ to an unplayably stuttering 25-30fps.

Changing some of the transparent built-in shaders to diffuse brought the FPS back up close to normal.

If I can get the pre-3.5 copy of the project I will send it in.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  43. Demostenes

Demostenes

I am experiencing terrible random lags with 3.5f5. Framerate is OK, after while drop to 0 FPS and than OK again. After while again drop....it was OK in 3.5f1

44. rortos

rortos

We also reported very poor performance on all our test android devices after upgrade to 3.5. Frame rate falls at least 30% down.
    This performance are not accetable and we are goind to re-install 3.4.2.
    We are very disappointed..

Rortos

45. n0mad

n0mad

Hey, instead of just saying "I am disappoint", maybe could people start investigating a bit better in the potential reasons why they encounter performance drops ? (= when, how, which conditions, which type of component used, shaders, etc)

That would speed up the rate of a fix release by helping everyone see some patterns between different cases.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  46. rbisso

rbisso

Joachim - posted a bug report with our project 3.4 and 3.5 versions and let our account manager know. Our issue is here: case 444031.

47. kenshin

kenshin

I totally agree with you!

We all must fill a bug report to help unity tech guys to fix these problem and release soon a fixed release.

48. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Thank you so much. You are the first person on this thread who replies with something actionable.
    We will look into your project folder as soon as possible.

I would appreciate if others will follow this example.

49. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

We investigated the issue and this is a result of fixing a bug.
    In Unity 3.4 realtime lights were not affecting static objects.
    In Unity 3.5 realtime lights always affect static and dynamic objects.

The result of this is that if you had previously setup your lighting to work around this bug, then you will now get worse performance as you will receive the lighting twice. It will also look different since your lights will be added twice to the scene.

In this specific case:

$Screen shot 2012-02-18 at 1.20.46 PM.png

Baked only lighting:
    $Screen shot 2012-02-18 at 1.20.31 PM.png

The same realtime only lighting:
    $Screen shot 2012-02-18 at 1.20.35 PM.png

You have two lights. One marked as baked only. And another one marked as realtime only.
    Both lights will affect static geometry. Thus you get another set of draw calls.

The correct way to use these lights is to use a single auto directional light and remove the realtime only light.

If you wish to have different realtime lighting than static lighting, you should using light culling masks to affect only dynamic objects.

50. jlevel

jlevel

Getting bad performance after upgrade from 3.4 to 3.5 on Android.

What I discovered is the following:

- Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.0, PowerVR) -> kill framerate, poor performance
    - Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Android 3.1, Tegra2) -> better performance than Unity 3.4

The same build on 3.4 run fine on both devices