Unity Community

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

1. Posts
    I would simplify it like that: In Unity you create then modify. In UDK you have created given and you modify. It is obvious that Unity procedure to coding is twice better and gives you much more freedom , i dont think there are any replys needed on that.

2. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keithsoulasa View Post
    But I will say that UDK has far more control over its own workspace , I just downloaded a unity extension that crashed Unity and corrupted a good chunk of a project, I have a kinda recent project back up and my scripts are ok( all the GFX are backed up elsewhere, just have to put things back together) .

Antares Universe (VIZIO) free- don't use this right now .

I think it depends on your skill level, like if you need net gen graphics, go with UDK- if your just making a small game , then unity
    Unity has control over it's workspace, you tried to extend it with 3rd party software mid-project. I have tried Antares Universe and I have to say that - as with probably every complex extension - you always start fresh, adding something with so much functionality mid-project is a no-no.
    They gave you control, you misused it and it's their fault? Well, as Macs have prooved, yes, yes it is.

3. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janpec View Post
    I would simplify it like that: In Unity you create then modify. In UDK you have created given and you modify. It is obvious that Unity procedure to coding is twice better and gives you much more freedom , i dont think there are any replys needed on that.
    Yep.

4. Posts

What do you mean with Steeper curve? Easier or harder?

I dont get what do you mean. Steeper learning curve means it is easier? or harder?

Quote Originally Posted by zine92 View Post
    Udk has steeper learning curve but is more powerful in terms of graphics wise. Tries a little unreal scripting but still thinks unity's scripting is easier though. And i have heard animation in udk is a mess.

For rapid prototyping i would say use Unity. Faster assets pipeline and rapid scripting compared to udk. And better documentation imo. If you really want something good (graphics or whatsoever) should try out cryengine. Seen people said it's better than udk and/or unity. But i will say if you are learning. Unity is good.

5. Posts
    It means it is harder, yea n unreal, if you want to implement something, you more or less got to know the engine almost inside out

The good thing about learning unreal script though, almost guaranteed to land you in a AAA gaming company

6. Location
    Melbourne
    The good thing about learning unreal script though, almost guaranteed to land you in a AAA gaming company
    Citation needed.

7. Location
    Land of Sushi and Geisha
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier321 View Post
    It means it is harder, yea n unreal, if you want to implement something, you more or less got to know the engine almost inside out

It is not a guarantee, but UE is a widely used engine in the game industry. And that gives you better chances to find work at a triple A game production.

8. Posts
    I do not understand why these threads exist. It is not even a question which engine is better. the better engine is hands down the engine that fits your needs. To sit around bickering why x is better than y is simply foolish. They are both very diffrent engines and are suited to diffrent development styles. Making wide generalizations based upon opinions does nothing to further either party.

Anyways, I have used both engines extensivly, although i left unity right before the 3.0 release (Which was a fantastic update that addressed many of the issues i had with unity). I quickly found UDK and have been using it since then. I am a programmer so most of my insigt is from an engineering standpoint.

Before i continue, I would like to adress some of the points that have arisen about Udk. Although UDK comes with a UTDemo, it is certainly not capable of only FPS games, such a point is irrelavant, most engines are capable of any general genre.

I also do not understand why some people are outraged that Unreal Engine does not have a built in UnrealScript IDE. Although it may help some people, it is largly unnecessary and their is many other issues with the engine that needs to be adressed first.(Not to mention it would not even be possible). Unity's scripting system is certainly incredibly intuitive for non-programmers and is very accesible, but one needs to remember that it is the exception, not the norm. Unrealscript has a much more traditional object-oriented system, and thus has a much higher barrier to entry for beginners. Although unity's built in IDE is great, it is severly limited (thank god for monodevelope). The extra complexity that comes with unrealscript requires more flexible external workflows. My general workflow allows me to go from writing the code, to testing it in game with the click of one button and about 20 seconds. certainly not as easy as Unity, but also not complely unfathomable. As a point of reference, my current project would not have been possible for me to program in unity since I come from a more traditional background and unitys scripting system is slightly too radical for me to handle.

sorry for the rambling, I just hope i can get some objective replies that arnt too crazy. If I had to bet on the future success of the engines, id put my money on Unity due to its rapid growth and intuitive features. UDK is remaining rather stagnant and i worry that its becoming more archaic wih each passing day. Both engines are phenominal, its just depends on the workflow and the goals of the developer.
    Last edited by theflamingskunk; 05-03-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    Turtle Racing Trainer.

9. Posts
    I am wondering if Epic is going to update UDK with Unreal Engine 4 code and framework when it comes out. That would made huge difference on field i guess.

10. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theflamingskunk View Post
    I do not understand why these threads exist. It is not even a question which engine is better. the better engine is hands down the engine that fits your needs. To sit around bickering why x is better than y is simply foolish. They are both very diffrent engines and are suited to diffrent development styles. Making wide generalizations based upon opinions does nothing to further either party.

Anyways, I have used both engines extensivly, although i left unity right before the 3.0 release (Which was a fantastic update that addressed many of the issues i had with unity). I quickly found UDK and have been using it since then. I am a programmer so most of my insigt is from an engineering standpoint.

Before i continue, I would like to adress some of the points that have arisen about Udk. Although UDK comes with a UTDemo, it is certainly not capable of only FPS games, such a point is irrelavant, most engines are capable of any general genre.

I also do not understand why some people are outraged that Unreal Engine does not have a built in UnrealScript IDE. Although it may help some people, it is largly unnecessary and their is many other issues with the engine that needs to be adressed first.(Not to mention it would not even be possible). Unity's scripting system is certainly incredibly intuitive for non-programmers and is very accesible, but one needs to remember that it is the exception, not the norm. Unrealscript has a much more traditional object-oriented system, and thus has a much higher barrier to entry for beginners. Although unity's built in IDE is great, it is severly limited (thank god for monodevelope). The extra complexity that comes with unrealscript requires more flexible external workflows. My general workflow allows me to go from writing the code, to testing it in game with the click of one button and about 20 seconds. certainly not as easy as Unity, but also not complely unfathomable. As a point of reference, my current project(www.indiedb.com/games/recruits) would not have been possible for me to program in unity since I come from a more traditional background and unitys scripting system is slightly too radical for me to handle.

sorry for the rambling, I just hope i can get some objective replies that arnt too crazy. If I had to bet on the future success of the engines, id put my money on Unity due to its rapid growth and intuitive features. UDK is remaining rather stagnant and i worry that its becoming more archaic wih each passing day. Both engines are phenominal, its just depends on the workflow and the goals of the developer.
    Nice try, shameless plug.

11. Posts
    I do not understand why these threads exist.
    But why let that stop you from pouring gass all over it and lite up the matches!
    Starsman Games
    Follow Starsman Games on Twitter, Facebook or Google+

12. Location
    Uruguay
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharsman View Post
    But why let that stop you from pouring gass all over it and lite up the matches!
    hahaha! that's hilarious!

The flaming skunk rocks! Actually his ways are so refined that what he said is rather reasonable! For example the built in IDE thing, I'm only complaining because I've got unity but it's not so bad, right?
    HEY!... Visit dogzer's Assets Store (;っ˘▽˘)っ (Characters & more)

Oh, and my Google Plus.
    It has news and stuff! (About games of course)

"A nerd's work is never done....." (҂⌣̀_⌣́)

13. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koyima View Post
    I do not know what that means, but I would assume nothing good and that you didn't read any of my post (Of course I could be wrong, just an assumption).

Quote Originally Posted by Tharsman View Post
    By "These Threads" I meant vs threads. In cases such as this, nothing is ever better than the other, It just depends on the users style and what their project entails. I also tried to be as objective and purely analytical over emotional, So i wouldn't necessarily say I lit the matches so much as gave the matches to potential pyromaniacs. Perhaps I shouldn't have of bumped a moderately old thread, But I do believe that having a dialogue about different engines is important, meaningless bashing and warring etc... Not so much. This is the gossip section so mine as well Gossip!

Quote Originally Posted by dogzerx View Post
    The flaming skunk rocks! Actually his ways are so refined that what he said is rather reasonable! For example the built in IDE thing, I'm only complaining because I've got unity but it's not so bad, right?
    I do not know whether that was sarcasm or not. I completly understand why you think its is important to have an in editor IDE, especially since you do use Unity. I know when I first switched from Unity, I got supper pissed at how much of a pain it is in UDK compared to Unity. I just wanted to point out that their is alternatives to constantly having to restart the editor, and to be honest, their is so many other issues with UDK that even if it was possible, they should focus on more pressing matters before tackling an IDE.

Im not trying to be hostile to anyone so sorry if I come off that way. (also regarding that I only have like 1 post, I didnt create the account just to post, It just hasnt been active for 2 years so I think they reset the count or something).
    Last edited by theflamingskunk; 05-03-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    Turtle Racing Trainer.

14. Location
    Sooke
    I don't think that was his intention, as he makes points that are indeed quite valid.
    -Insert quote here
    ---Famous Person

15. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theflamingskunk View Post
    I do not know what that means, but I would assume nothing good and that you didn't read any of my post (Of course I could be wrong, just an assumption).

By "These Threads" I meant vs threads. In cases such as this, nothing is ever better than the other, It just depends on the users style and what their project entails. I also tried to be as objective and purely analytical over emotional, So i wouldn't necessarily say I lit the matches so much as gave the matches to potential pyromaniacs. Perhaps I shouldn't have of bumped a moderately old thread, But I do believe that having a dialogue about different engines is important, meaningless bashing and warring etc... Not so much. This is the gossip section so mine as well Gossip!

I do not know whether that was sarcasm or not. I completly understand why you think its is important to have an in editor IDE, especially since you do use Unity. I know when I first switched from Unity, I got supper pissed at how much of a pain it is in UDK compared to Unity. I just wanted to point out that their is alternatives to constantly having to restart the editor, and to be honest, their is so many other issues with UDK that even if it was possible, they should focus on more pressing matters before tackling an IDE.

Im not trying to be hostile to anyone so sorry if I come off that way. (also regarding that I only have like 1 post, I didnt create the account just to post, It just hasnt been active for 2 years so I think they reset the count or something).
    Anyone reading your post would have to click on the link to understand what you mean by: I wouldn't be able to make my game, right?

And ressurecting a dead thread, especially on this subject is inflaming. You also covered your ass by saying you are a former Unity user and by giving some praises to Unity towards the end. So again: nice try, hope you got some clicks, not entering the flaming war again, since this is the purpose of these threads as you are fully aware of.
    Last edited by koyima; 05-03-2012 at 01:54 PM.

16. Location
    Uruguay
    yeah. this is crazy! actually we're taking any reasonable argument in favor of UDK as a flaming troll rampage nowadays! what is happening to us??
    HEY!... Visit dogzer's Assets Store (;っ˘▽˘)っ (Characters & more)

Oh, and my Google Plus.
    It has news and stuff! (About games of course)

"A nerd's work is never done....." (҂⌣̀_⌣́)

17. Posts
    Anyone reading your post would have to click on the link to understand what you mean by: I wouldn't be able to make my game, right?
    I have removed the link. I put it their to give an example of why I prefer UDK scripting over Unity. It was also used to give myself credibility and to show related experience. A better place may have been in signature, although I figured it would not be appropriate their since it is not UDK related. It was also clearly labeled as a link to my project, and was not misleading. Going by your same philosophy, The link in your signature is accountable of the same offence.

And ressurecting a dead thread, especially on this subject is inflaming.
    That may be so. However i saw that I had genuine and unique perspective on the matter that I was capable of contributing. 2 Weeks is fairly old, but i figured it was reasonable, and that Starting a new thread wasnt appropriate.

You also covered your ass by saying you are a former Unity user and by giving some praises to Unity towards the end.
    I do not believe I was "Saving my ass" of anything. I was a former Unity user, it was what I first used to get started in Game Development. I also never gave praises to Unity, I was simply stating my analysis of the experiences i've had with them.

I don't believe its even worth commenting on the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by dogzerx View Post
    yeah. this is crazy! actually we're taking any reasonable argument in favor of UDK as a flaming troll rampage nowadays! what is happening to us??
    It is to be expected. Does get somewhat tiresome when others are unable to conduct themselves properly. I would also like to clarify that im trying to remain relatively neutral towards both Engines. I was just sharing experiences ive had with UDK. The UDK fits my style better, so I will naturally favor it slightly more, but that doesn't mean I will blindly defend it (Especially since their is many issues with it). Although I never understood why people will blindly defend legitimate issues with a software. Acknowledging these issue is what motivates them to be addressed.
    Last edited by theflamingskunk; 05-03-2012 at 02:28 PM.
    Turtle Racing Trainer.

18. Posts
    @theflamingskunk, do you realize you are already in the defensive flame argument loop?

Arguments are never based off some one thinking they are wrong, everyone in any argument always thinks they are right. The only way to have a "sensible dialog" on any topic is to state your point once, and not attempting to clarify further unless you are inquired for more information.
    Starsman Games
    Follow Starsman Games on Twitter, Facebook or Google+

19. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zalazingo View Post
    Another post I made (about rotating box example) is waiting moderator approval, I forgot to answer the IDE question there though. I mainly used nfringe (basically acts as a parser for Visual Studio). Its free for non-commercial usage. Wotgreal, Unreal-X Editor and plain old Visual Studio Express C++ works fine. There's Notepad++ and ConText extensions as well, although I personally never tried them. Never did commercial work on UDK.

I guess the other post won't get approved by moderators at this point, so I'll just summerize the rotating box example here:

1) Extend from Actor class**, put the keyword "placeable" on declaration of the class so that editor knows its placeable.
    2) Create a rotation vector variable and expose it to editor (var(Rotation) rotator rotationVector)
    3) Create a blank Tick function. This is a special function, everything inside that will get updated every tick(frame).
    4) Use SetRotation(RotationVector) function inside the tick function. SetRotation is a function from Actor class**.
    5) Declare that this actor has a mesh (default properties stuff)
    6) Inside the editor, find your class, right click, create an archetype

Put any mesh you want to mesh section, and enter any kind of rotation you want into rotation section. These can be updated in runtime.

An actor is basically almost anything that you see on the screen, actor function gives basic functionality such as setting rotation, detecting touching etc.
    Great, this is the first example I found about extend Actor class, because most tutorials are extend UTGame, I think I will try this later.

After several days of reading the documents on UDN, and browsing the package with UnCodeX, I think extend existing class and override/add functions is good practice for enterprise development, I feel UDK is kind of enterprise system for game development, everyone has OOP concept could understood the underneath power. Calling this is mod really undermine the power of this system.

I read an old post on UDK forum, you will see the difference of philosophy of each engine:
    Starting with programming in UDK is difficult because there is a huge flexible code base ready made for you so that you don't have to re-invent the wheel and concentrate more on your game core. Sometimes you may need to tweak values in default properties to get what you want. Sometimes you will need to override functions. And rarely, writing stuff from scratch. This will make your production really smooth.

With that said, there will surely be a huge overhead in the learning process. Other engines like Unity do not provide a code base that has standard functionalities which you can customize according to your requirements, and thus there will be an overhead in your production process because you will have to write alot of things from scratch. This is a trade-off. I prefer to suffer in the learning curve, because it's going to be once. Not in every project.

20. Posts

more people leaving unity to UDK?

so i was reading this thread on epic forums and i thought maybe he is right,so did any one think of switching to UDK , i know most people here worries about the royalty payment ,but don't forget that after selling your big game and hit 50000$ profit ,you can license unreal engine and you don't have to pay royalty any more ,and it will cost cheap at the beginning, just 99$ for android ,ios and flash and no need to pay 10000$ for platforms and adds-on.

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast