Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

NGUI (Next-Gen UI) -- demo final feedback request

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ArenMook, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArenMook

ArenMook

Very nice! My suggestion though -- do something about the text. You should have RGB set to pure white for text to be clear. Only alpha should have the grayscale lettering.

2. ArenMook

ArenMook

Parts of the texture? Can you elaborate on the process steps?

3. duke

duke

Nowhere near as crisp as the Scaleform version. Perhaps NGUI could optionally plugin to RageSpline and use vector stuff!

4. ArenMook

ArenMook

Two reasons for that -- the font must have white in RGB instead of black white, and some bloom on top to make it fancier.

5. nab477

nab477

Hi, I'm interested in buying NGui for both my current project as a part of my essential tools for the future projects.
    but, I'd like to ask a few things first.

can I put up a Health HUD or loading gauge using NGui ?
    (basically like the audio slider, but filled by code doesn't have the actualy slider, but it may be filled with custom images instead of solid color)

what effects/properties can I give the text ? (shadow, gradient ...etc)

you mentioned support for eastern languages, does that include support for right-to-left support ?
    (obviously aligning right is there, but I meant in some languages (e.g. Arabic) the text actually has to be flipped in order to be displayed properly)

6. Asse83

Asse83

I think this happens when the atlas texture gets bigger than 1024x1024, maybe you want to try it on your own.

7. Asse83

Asse83

Also I noticed that the OnRelease function with buttons doesn't work as expected. Normally the OnRelease callback doesn't get called when you're not above the item on release. In NGUI, the callback is called anyway.

8. WolfGames

WolfGames

yes i wanna too text effects.. glow, blur shadows.. etc.

9. cjow

cjow

I've heard that NGUI is not compatible with SpriteManager2 because of conflicting editor classes among other things.

Is this true? If so is there a way around it?

10. ArenMook

ArenMook

@nab477: Health HUD, loading gauges -- of course:

http://www.tasharen.com/?topic=creating-a-ui-sprite-on-the-fly

Currently built-in effects for text include a shadow (or bevel), and outline. You can do fancier effects with shaders if you're so inclined.

Right-to-left support is not immediately supported by input, but you can tweak the UIInput a little to add support for it (basically instead of appending new characters to the right, append them to the left instead).

@Asse: Instead of OnRelease, consider using OnClick.

11. ArenMook

ArenMook

NGUI is not compatible with EZGUI or SpriteManager, but you can make it compatible by renaming conflicting class names.

12. Asse83

Asse83

No no, I want to use OnRelease, but as I said, the behavior differes from what you know from other GUIs of applications/operating systems like Windows, iOS and so on. When you release the press/click and you're not above the item, it shouldn't trigger the OnRelease method.

13. ArenMook

ArenMook

If you want that kind of behaviour, change UIButtonMessage OnPress function from:

Code (csharp):
    1. void OnPress (bool isPressed)
    2. {
    3.     if (((isPressed  trigger == Trigger.OnPress) ||
    4.         (!isPressed  trigger == Trigger.OnRelease))) Send();
    5. }
    To:

Code (csharp):
    1. void OnPress (bool isPressed)
    2. {
    3.     if (((isPressed  trigger == Trigger.OnPress) ||
    4.         (!isPressed  trigger == Trigger.OnRelease  UICamera.lastHit.collider == collider))) Send();
    5. }

14. kaushik-d

kaushik-d

I'm trying to build a tree like control using NGUI to show hierarchical data. I've got a simple tree view using nested UIGrid's but have to manually insert blank items (underneath parent tree nodes) to show tree indentation. What could be the best possible approach in NGUI to make such a control?

15. ArenMook

ArenMook

Best approach? Create a custom widget. It may not be necessarily the fastest, however. You can also write your own placement class instead of the grid / table. That would be faster.

16. ArcDragon

ArcDragon

Hi.
    How to change the UILabel alpha In script?
    My code can't works.

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class NewBehaviourScript : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     private UILabel label;
    7.     // Use this for initialization
    8.     void Start () {
    9.         label = GameObject.Find("Label").GetComponent<UILabel>();
    10.     }
    12.     // Update is called once per frame
    13.     void Update () {
    14.         label.color.a = 0.5f;
    15.     }
    16. }
    Where is alpha ?

17. mohydineName

mohydineName

Hi,

I d like to make a feature request:
    I d like to have a new Clipping option for the UIGrid:
    -When any of the child of an item in the UIGrid is not visible, then make the whole item not visible.

This way I could certainly avoid using the slow OpenGL ES 2.0.

Please let me know if that is ok.

Stephane

18. ArenMook

ArenMook

@ArcDragon:
    You shouldn't use GameObject.Find. It's slow, and hard-coding names is a very bad practice. Attach this script directly to the label instead, or have a public reference to your label that you will set in the inspector.
    Try attaching this script to your label:

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. [RequireComponent(typeof(UILabel))]
    4. public class NewBehaviourScript : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     UILabel mLabel;
    8.     void Start ()
    9.     {
    10.         mLabel = GetComponent<UILabel>();
    11.     }
    13.     void Update ()
    14.     {
    15.         Color c = mLabel.color;
    16.         c.a = 0.5f;
    17.         mLabel.color = c;
    18.     }
    19. }
    @mohydine: Clipping is done entirely via shaders right now. You can certainly write a different class to do the kind of clipping you're describing, and it would be pretty easy to do -- simply store the rectangles of each of the child of the new grid (NGUIMath.CalculateRelativeWidgetBounds), then check them against some rectangle specified in your script.

19. ArcDragon

ArcDragon

@ArenMook
    Thank you for your tip!
    You've been very helpful!

20. Art Of Bytes

Art Of Bytes

21. ArcDragon

ArcDragon

Hi.
    Excuse me.
    I want to question again.

I use progress bar.
    Bar works in unity project.
    but,progress bar don't works in web player,after I build game.

This is my code,which is attached to progress bar object.

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class NewBehaviourScript : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     private UISlider slider;
    8.     void Start () {
    9.         slider = GetComponent<UISlider>();
    10.     }
    12.     void Update () {
    13.         slider.rawValue = slider.rawValue * 0.9f;
    14.     }
    15. }
    Why?

22. Peter Hou

Peter Hou

Hi,

I was wondering what kind of text formatting is possible with NGUI? Are we just able to change the colour or can we do other things as well?

I'm currently working on a project that requires a lot of text formatting - pretty much anything you can do with HTML would be nice, but I know that's asking a lot :D

The two primary features I would need are proper bullets with indentation:

• Item 1
    • Item 2
    • Item 3

And being able to specify a hyperlink in the text.

Do you have any plans for more text formatting?
    Thanks for your time - the plugin looks great :)

23. Jaimi

Jaimi

you need to use slider.sliderValue instead of rawValue. rawValue is only for use in the editor.

24. ArenMook

ArenMook

I currently have no plans to add support for hyperlinks in text. A skilled dev could add support for that within a few days, but it would complicate the system too much for me to add it to NGUI myself. I want to keep it simple to make it easier for others to modify it to suit their needs.

25. bitomule

bitomule

Does NGUI offers an easy system to create menus for different screens resolutions like iPhone3G or iPhone4. iPad or iPad retina..

Thanks!

26. ArcDragon

ArcDragon

@Jaimi
    Thank you very much!
    It works!

27. ArenMook

ArenMook

Yes, there are a few tools for that. You can choose your layout to scale with the resolution, or stay pixel-perfect as the dimensions change. UIAnchor lets you glue widgets to sides or corners of the screen. UIAtlas and UIFont have a 'replacement' parameter, letting you swap SD for HD atlas... and a few other tricks.

28. bitomule

bitomule

Thanks @ArenMook, that's all I need to know to purchase it!

29. rezilausiv

rezilausiv

Hi

And whats about changing cursor pointer by rollover a button?
    I mean, this is the very common way to show the user, what's interactive and what not..

30. ArcDragon

ArcDragon

Hi.
    I'm sorry to bother you again.

I have a health bar question in the NGUI.
    How can I set health bar above game object?

I read this topic.

http://www.tasharen.com/?topic=creating-a-ui-sprite-on-the-fly

With reference to this topic, I tried to make.but my project don't works...
    What should I do?

my project construction
    Hierarchy
    Cube(AddUnitHUD is attached),MainCamera,Ground

Project
    Anchor,AddUnitHUD,UnitHUD,NGUI

Anchor
    -Panel(UnitHUD is attached)
    --Label
    --Progress Bar

Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  31. ArenMook

ArenMook

Assuming you create the cursor, just have that script watch UICamera.hoveredObject, and change the icon accordingly.

@ArcDragon: You need to use 2 cameras. One for your game (main camera), and one for your UI (2D camera).

32. ArcDragon

ArcDragon

@ArenMook
    Thank you for your reply.Hmm...I tried to create camera.
    However, My project isn't working...

current picture

current game screen

What went wrong?

33. yuewah

yuewah

I see 1.84 does not solve this issue, when will u plan to look at it ?

34. ArenMook

ArenMook

@ArcDragon: http://www.tasharen.com/ngui/gt.unitypackage

@yuewah: I haven't figured out an elegant way of addressing this yet. As I mentioned, the widget would need to double in size to compensate. Ie: if it was 200x100 before, it will need to be 400x200. If you have a suggestion, please let me know.

35. yuewah

yuewah

so disappointed to hear about that, btw, if I can set the border width ( line 109 - 112 ), then it may solve my problem.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  36. ArenMook

ArenMook

Well, the problem comes from the fact that the resolution changes, going from SD to HD, thus doubling in width and height... but the sliced sprite does not change -- it remains the same size. Since the atlas also gets changed to a HD version, the border width gets doubled. Since widget size didn't change, now you have a visibly thicker border. To compensate, you need to scale your widget to match the resolution change. That's the not-so-elegant solution.

37. yuewah

yuewah

UIAtlas.cs
    Code (csharp):
    1. public class Sprite
    2. {
    3.     public float borderScale = 1;
    UISlicedSprite.cs
    Code (csharp):
    2. //Vector2 tl = new Vector2(borderLeft / 2 / sz.x, borderTop / 2 / sz.y);
    3. //Vector2 br = new Vector2(borderRight / 2 / sz.x, borderBottom / 2 / sz.y);
    5. Vector2 tl = new Vector2(borderLeft * this.mSprite.borderScale / sz.x, borderTop * this.mSprite.borderScale / sz.y);
    6. Vector2 br = new Vector2(borderRight * this.mSprite.borderScale / sz.x, borderBottom * this.mSprite.borderScale / sz.y);
    And then, in Altas Inspector, set borderScale = 0.5 in UI-hd and borderScale = 1 in UI-sd.

It solved my problem, but property name ( borderScale ) is not good at all.

38. KvanteTore

KvanteTore

What if UISlicedSprite could automatically keep its borders in pixel perfect size regardless of parent objects' scale?

39. ArenMook

ArenMook

It does, that's why yuewah is having issues. The atlas becomes higher res, but the sprite remains the same size on the screen. Since the border is now thicker, it's now taking more space on the screen -- more of the fixed size of the sprite.

40. KvanteTore

KvanteTore

Sorry, I'm not expressing myself properly. The sprite border size doesn't take into account the scale of parenting objects when trying to keep the border pixel perfect on screen; if UIRoot or Panel or any of the other parenting objects scale, the sprite borders scale as well.

I'm not sure how you're intending the use of atlas replacement for HD GUIs, and if you have a good solution, I'd love to hear it. Currently, the way I'm doing it is by disabling the auto scale in the UIRoot component, so that the UI scales with the screen resolution, and then set the replacement atlas when the screen is twice as large as the original size.

Using this method, I end up with the same problem as @yuewah, because the scale of UIRoot keeps the sprite in the same screen space rect as before, but with twice as large borders. If UISlicedSprite could keep it's borders in pixel perfect size regardless of UIRoot and Panel scales this would not be the case. It would be similar to @yuewah's solution, but setting borderScale relative to transform.lossyScale

I'm not sure how this would work on 3D UIs though, and there would probably have to be some kind of messaging to recalculate the mesh when parent objects scale.

41. ArcDragon

ArcDragon

@ArenMook
    Thank you!
    I'd really appreciate it!

42. mohydineName

mohydineName

OK. What is the proper way to make en item NOT visible? UIWidget.visibleFlag to 0 is not enough is it?

43. ArenMook

ArenMook

Just set widget.enabled = false.

44. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

Is this solution working in that case when I enable a panel from its disabled state, but some widget are in this widget.enable = false state? Maybe you remember my multiple panel solution from earlier, when each row had three different set of widget, but only one should be enabled, not all.

45. ArenMook

ArenMook

I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to or not, but SetActiveRecursively logic won't enable/disable individual scripts (as it changes the active state of game objects, not enabled state of scripts).

46. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

But when I set to active, and a widget is in this false state, then will it be visible or not?

47. ArenMook

ArenMook

Nope, it won't be. Game object's active state and script's enabled state are different.

48. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Speaking of enabling and disabling:

I've had cases where colliders would still trigger even though a panel is disabled. I've worked around it by disabling and enabling colliders explicitly along with the panels. I haven't double checked my code, so it could be something weird I'm doing on my end, but is this intended behavior?

49. ArenMook

ArenMook

If you disabled the panel by doing panel.enabled = false, then all the children game objects are still active and so are their colliders. They're simply not visible due to the panel being hidden. If you disabled them via SetActiveRecursively, then it should work fine. From what I hear though, SetActiveRecursively behaves oddly in some situations though. I'm going to write my own function to enable/disable things properly.

50. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Sounds awesome - I would love to be able to disable all colliders underneath a panel - I considered making a convenience method just for that, but it would be nice to have it within NGUI (that way, you could probably cache all of those colliders, too).

SetActiveRecursively has some issues, and can also be pretty slow on mobile as well - i'd love to avoid it if possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.